Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The best weapon for making your friends sit around slack jawed waiting to do something is the flamethrower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also in a coop game, sometimes it can be fun to just help. For example, being shield ironbreaker and just facetanking around here and there while your friends get the green rat circles, because they know they can do crazy dumb poo poo because their invincible pal is around.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tagichatn posted:

Yeah, the fun units are called rats and it's fun to kill them. It's not fun when one players kills them all. I don't know what kind of idiot you'd have to be to not get that but the sentiment that OP weapons are fine in coop games pops up in this thread from time to time.

then why're kerillian's weapons still getting buffed when they're already the best in the game :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Coolguye posted:

then why're kerillian's weapons still getting buffed when they're already the best in the game :v:

Actually that happens because Kerillian is better and more fun than the others

post, FLY TRUE

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

post, FLY TRUE

doesn't he sound happy?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

Yeah, the fun units are called rats and it's fun to kill them. It's not fun when one players kills them all. I don't know what kind of idiot you'd have to be to not get that but the sentiment that OP weapons are fine in coop games pops up in this thread from time to time.

So buff up underperformers to be as good as an elf with their monitor turned on. It's not a zero sum game.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Great sword merc doing charged attacks with a str pot is so goddamn fun--oh no a patrol? don't worry they'll all die if i keep swinging!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Willie Tomg posted:

So buff up underperformers to be as good as an elf with their monitor turned on. It's not a zero sum game.

Nerfs aren't inherently worse or better than buffs in terms of designing a balanced game.

I'm not really trying to address the Elf in particularly, but it always irks me when the suggested response to one thing standing out is to rebalance the entire game around that level of performance instead of just bringing the outliers in line.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Voyager I posted:

Nerfs aren't inherently worse or better than buffs in terms of designing a balanced game.

I'm not really trying to address the Elf in particularly, but it always irks me when the suggested response to one thing standing out is to rebalance the entire game around that level of performance instead of just bringing the outliers in line.

I see your point in an agnostic sense, but when a method of play prevails as a coping mechanism for broken systems--like dealing with hordes, bosses, and elites from range because their damage values, sounds, and animations are all implemented terribly--then removing the ability to cope with that makes the game even worse in the aggregate. The beta is still easier than live overall, but that's just because you're categorically dumb if you pick The Wrong Classes and/or use The Wrong Weapons and run anything other than a Natural Bond necklace for a free 300-400 health per map. What was previously a very viable and diverse cast with a few outliers is now a few viable picks and bunch of troll options.

And 10'll get you 20 the response will instead be to nerf NB or something, instead of making other necklace options viable, because nobody at Fatshark could figure out how to get past the Capra Demon in Dark Souls so clearly difficulty is getting poo poo on until you finally give up, and that alcove to the right, or the bridge above the Capra Demon are OP even in a PvE game because it diminished others' "pride and sense of accomplishment" at rolling away from the beasts chain attacks for 30 minutes in a row. That's what'll bring the population back, right?!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah i certainly don't have anything against nerfs but in this particular case i think it's not the right way to go forward

kerillian's weapons work. they have a motion for pretty much any situation, and those motions are easy to access on demand as situations arise. certain weapons are better at certain things than others, but none of them will leave you in a situation where you literally can't do anything.

this should be the standard for pretty much every weapon. no matter what the game throws at you, if you are clear headed and deliberate, you can play your way out of the situation. the problem being it's just not the case for many weapons, i'd go so far as to say the majority of them outside of kerillian's armory. you can just flat out be put in a situation where you have zero recourse and are going to get hit, most likely through no fault of your own.

that's unacceptable and these weapons should be buffed to hit the marker that kerillian has as a standard.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
ELF ELF ELF ELF

RULES RULES RULES RULES

People who play other characters are dumb imo. Bardin counts as ok, but only bc he's a badass, not bc he has good gameplay.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
75% of the playerbase has to play someone other than elf. thats gonna be a problem going forward. merc and zealot are fun at least.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
This game was always designed around making the elf the best class. The devs know their audience.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

I see your point in an agnostic sense, but when a method of play prevails as a coping mechanism for broken systems--like dealing with hordes, bosses, and elites from range because their damage values, sounds, and animations are all implemented terribly--then removing the ability to cope with that makes the game even worse in the aggregate. The beta is still easier than live overall, but that's just because you're categorically dumb if you pick The Wrong Classes and/or use The Wrong Weapons and run anything other than a Natural Bond necklace for a free 300-400 health per map. What was previously a very viable and diverse cast with a few outliers is now a few viable picks and bunch of troll options.

And 10'll get you 20 the response will instead be to nerf NB or something, instead of making other necklace options viable, because nobody at Fatshark could figure out how to get past the Capra Demon in Dark Souls so clearly difficulty is getting poo poo on until you finally give up, and that alcove to the right, or the bridge above the Capra Demon are OP even in a PvE game because it diminished others' "pride and sense of accomplishment" at rolling away from the beasts chain attacks for 30 minutes in a row. That's what'll bring the population back, right?!

I think the issue is whether you're balancing for Champ or Legend.

On Champ, some characters are already sufficiently powerful when paired with even a modicum of skill that they can ace enemies before they even get a chance to threaten the team. I have played games with teammates that were quite capable of icing most hoards on their own, with me basically playing a 'watch my back' role while they murdered stuff outside of my effective killzone. So buffing characters to all be on that level is impossible, since you then have multiple characters murdering beyond the capacity of the game to challenge them.

On Legend, the same characters merely hold their own rather than dominate the game, and now you've got a weird choice where if you buff everybody up to one level, you kill Champion and if you nerf everybody down to another level, you kill Legend (lol it's already bad).

IMHO they need to look at how difficulty works before they can fix anything. Or they just need to define a fixed point as the 'default' state, balance around that, and then fix the outlying difficulty. Unfortunately the best fixed point is Champion.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

They should have stopped the scaling at champion because that's a really good level of balance. Legend should have had poo poo like more boss spawns or some kind of gimmick rather than just turning everything to 11. Throw in some super elites like mini bosses and its basically a champion run with more road blocks. The deed system is stupid as poo poo, it should be flat mutators that you could add to missions for fixed rewards.

Imagine if legend was just champion with more patrols, monsters, and a few elites having 3-4x the amount of hp's. It would be a natural progression from champion to legend then once legend became a breeze you'd start messing with mutators.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nerfs aren't inherently bad, it's just that they're making weird choices on what to nerf. Elf owns and it's not because of the longbow or her ult, it's because crit-oriented/Swift Slaying glaive coupled with the bare minimum of combo manipulation is so powerful that if not for specials and bosses you'd be able to solo the entire map with it. Meanwhile, they're going after builds that require much more work and skill to be effective.

It does seem like they're balancing exclusively for Champion, I assume it makes more sense from that point of view.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

After awhile, reading the patch notes started to feel like they were randomly generated by machine learning based on previous patch notes. for every change that seems to make a lot of sense (buffing witch hunter), there's something else that's just utterly baffling, like buffing the glaive in any way whatsoever or nerfing the 2h sword in any way whatsoever. Or nerfing 2 of the perks in the witch hunter's third line of perks, which is one of the most forgettable sets of perks in the game :psyduck:

It's super loving weird after they pretty much nailed their balance changes in vermintide 1 and moved things in the right direction 95% of the time. goes hand in hand with its gameplay also being better-designed in every way, but I still don't understand what the hell changed at :fatshark: between games.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

they did screw up royally on VT1 too, though

Like when they introduced the autoaim bolt staff for Sienna. That was rich.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

After awhile, reading the patch notes started to feel like they were randomly generated by machine learning based on previous patch notes. for every change that seems to make a lot of sense (buffing witch hunter), there's something else that's just utterly baffling, like buffing the glaive in any way whatsoever or nerfing the 2h sword in any way whatsoever. Or nerfing 2 of the perks in the witch hunter's third line of perks, which is one of the most forgettable sets of perks in the game :psyduck:

It's super loving weird after they pretty much nailed their balance changes in vermintide 1 and moved things in the right direction 95% of the time. goes hand in hand with its gameplay also being better-designed in every way, but I still don't understand what the hell changed at :fatshark: between games.

I think some of it is that the new systems interfere with making 'clean' balance changes when you don't know if people have Power+25% or whatever, and when Power is also linked to Cleave and there's a variable Mass stat and everything now it's much harder to just say like 'This weapon needs to hit one more target' or 'this weapon needs to kill a clanrat on Nightmare' since the weapon's damage is now interacting with Power and Talents.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The game's designed like a freemium game but isn't, so it's just bullshit

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mr. Pickles posted:

they did screw up royally on VT1 too, though

Like when they introduced the autoaim bolt staff for Sienna. That was rich.

I said that their changes moved in the right direction, not that they never overshot. Every time something like a busted sienna weapon happened, it was an overbuff of something that really was underperforming and the change was still in the right direction. Compared to now where they’d have a 50/50 chance of continuing to buff the beam/bolt/fireball staff after already making it the best thing in the game, or nerfing the swiftbow or something. IMO the last repeater handgun change was the only one where they buffed something that was already fine as-is.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
https://old.reddit.com/r/Vermintide/comments/9rleo2/the_very_quick_and_incomplete_stream_recap/?st=jnqo5ohl&sh=370d4f0b

quote:

One specific game designer work on weapon balance change, and another one on career changes. That is why miscommunication happens and sometimes the same thing is nerfed twice by weapon and the talent simultaneous nerf. One of the main purposes for beta is to find and fix all those things.

:yikes:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I love fatshark, they are the gift that keeps on giving.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Wow, that sure is a way to do balance.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Some times we think other people are working on the issue then we all go on vacation at the same time Haha we are so silly some times!

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
I love when they share little tidbits about their dysfunctional internal process.

That being said, beta changes p gud :thumbsup:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
What the gently caress are their managers doing to have right hand and left hand working completely independently of each other???

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm super glad they poo poo on ranged, it deserved it and was legit one of the things making the game much less fun, if I wanted to only shoot things I can go to like, literally every other co-op horde game ever made.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Tagichatn posted:

So I can continue to think of you as a legitimate human being as opposed to a literal potato someone threw on a keyboard, I will choose to believe this post is trolling.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

I'm super glad they poo poo on ranged, it deserved it and was legit one of the things making the game much less fun, if I wanted to only shoot things I can go to like, literally every other co-op horde game ever made.

Ranged is already rear end on Legend, unless it's against a horde that's polite enough to come at you single file. Even pyro. The beam staff's actual beam isn't really that good or useful other than to snipe specials and stormvermin, the shotgun blast owns but it's hardly 'ranged'. Not even going to talk about the other staves and classes. It is not possible to use only ranged on Legend, no matter who you're playing as. You will go down, and probably during the first wave.

It seems the real problem here is that Champion is just much too easy for experienced players with good gear, who are still (understandably) reluctant to move up to Legend with all its bullshit. It should not be possible at all to 'only shoot things', on that we agree, but if that's the case it's not so much that ranged is OP but rather that the challenge presented by enemies in general is too low. The ranged characters are just able to reach them first. I suppose effortlessly slaughtering is still more fun than doing nothing at all, but that horde still would not have been any sort of interesting threat to good players even if it had reached the party fully intact.

As I've said before, they need to revamp the difficulty settings, maybe turn it into a five-tier system where endgame players are expected to settle on the fourth tier, with the fifth one being reserved for truly insane players who want a challenge.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Lmao I almost guessed it. I thought it was a person per character

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Fuuka Ayase posted:

So I can continue to think of you as a legitimate human being as opposed to a literal potato someone threw on a keyboard, I will choose to believe this post is trolling.

:rolleyes:

I'm tired of people making the argument that nerfing is bad because this game is coop. Sure, underperformers should be buffed but nerfing outliers is fine too.

I'm also not saying fatshark is good at figuring out what should be nerfed or buffed, just that the philosophy in general is fine.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tagichatn posted:

:rolleyes:

I'm tired of people making the argument that nerfing is bad because this game is coop. Sure, underperformers should be buffed but nerfing outliers is fine too.

I'm also not saying fatshark is good at figuring out what should be nerfed or buffed, just that the philosophy in general is fine.

Nerfing is bad in a PvE game. You're selling a power fantasy. You do not want to get people used to feeling powerful, and then make them feel less powerful if you don't have to. In a PvE game, there's never a good reason to do that unless you've painted yourself into a corner so badly it's literally the only way out. Just because fatshark does this constantly doesn't mean it's good.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Nerfing is bad in a PvE game. You're selling a power fantasy. You do not want to get people used to feeling powerful, and then make them feel less powerful if you don't have to. In a PvE game, there's never a good reason to do that unless you've painted yourself into a corner so badly it's literally the only way out. Just because fatshark does this constantly doesn't mean it's good.

This is true but you have to admit there is a hypothetical upper limit to that strategy before you get diminishing returns.

Like power fantasy is great but there is a point at which a class is so powerful it feels meaningless to play any longer.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

They're not hitting outliers though. The glaive is the one upper outlier and they buffed it. Very few things in vermintide are so good they eclipse other options. But plenty is not good enough to compete.
I say don't loving nerf because the bar where that's called for is higher in coop and they're not even close to it in competitive

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Voyager I posted:

What the gently caress are their managers doing to have right hand and left hand working completely independently of each other???

Each dev has his own manager.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Each dev has his own manager.

:popeye:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Voyager I posted:

I seem to remember someone telling that Fatshark has completely flat organization structure, so no managers. Don't know if that's true but it would explain why they are so disorganized.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
A flat organisational structure is fine as long as people communicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

A flat organisational structure is fine as long as people communicate.

This is coders you're talking about though.