Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There are ways that are free but aren't legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm sure the triplets can get Scrooge in on their family plan.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Is there any way to see this show online that doesn't require a subscription now? Both Comcast's streaming site and Disney XD's are saying I need a specific subscription to watch it, is it on anywhere else?

Yeah every company realising HEY WE CAN HAVE OUR OWN INDIVIDUAL STREAMING PLATFORM means all the shows you want to watch are $15 each on 10 different platforms.

Adult Swim had the right idea if you're stuck in a moral conundrum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4kqp9mutPQ

Pirate whatever you want, pay the artists you want to pay, and don't make a big deal out of it.
Protip look into newsgroups, or if you need someone to point you in the right direction PM me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You can also just outright buy it off Google Play or whatever and watch that without needing a subscription as such.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Is there any way to see this show online that doesn't require a subscription now? Both Comcast's streaming site and Disney XD's are saying I need a specific subscription to watch it, is it on anywhere else?

I bought every episode on Amazon

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They’re up on iTunes for about $3 (CAD) per episode or $60 (CAD) per season (the first season is broken up into two volumes at $30 (CAD) each).

Oh, and those prices are in Canadian funds.

Just so you know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Scrooge definitely has a world-class coupon collection.

Especially when he was living off delivery pizza.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

It's hilarious to me that the final game is a Scrooge-flavored Monopoly knockoff, because in some Latin American countries there is a Scrooge-flavored Monopoly knockoff. Until the late 90's this was the only way to play Monopoly in Colombia unless you managed to bring a copy from abroad! None of the playing pieces are top hats, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember my grandma having a Scrooge McDuck themed Snakes and Ladders game. I should probably ask about that before she dies. I did kill a black snake with a shovel while she held it down with a rake and all.

My family is a bit... rural.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I've never known which triplet was which and I don't intend to start now :colbert:

It is a rare skill to have.

(Yes I know the kids aren't colour-coded there, sue me)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I loved this episode, but I have a massive fondness for weird ocean stuff.

Launchpad's romantic history is clearly storied.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Alright ep. Nothing super memorable, but it sent a pretty positive message. (Even if the kids were horrible to him for a bit)

Launchpad continues to be Best Character

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, was Fethry in the old cartoon and/or comics or was he an original creation of the current show?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Fethry might have originated in the Italian comics.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Larryb posted:

I forget, was Fethry in the old cartoon and/or comics or was he an original creation of the current show?

Dunno about the old series, but he's an old regular in the comics. Atleast the Scandinavian weekly comics, and the (italian?) pocketbooks.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Fethry originated in the Italian comics, and he got popular enough that Disney made Don Rosa include him in the family tree. Seeing him in animated form is actually kind of surreal to me given that animated characters from the Duck universe has only been characters created by Barks and by Disney animators themselves.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I want to see Launchpad becoming Aquaman. That would've been way more interesting than Fethry.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So why did Scrooge plop him down at an unoccupied underwater research station with clearly no intent to ever see him ever again?

Real dick move.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

So why did Scrooge plop him down at an unoccupied underwater research station with clearly no intent to ever see him ever again?

Real dick move.

Are you at all familiar with Scrooge McDuck? He's kind of an rear end in a top hat :ssh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm just going to assume that the rest of the crew were literally Sealab and Fethry is actually the most competent one left.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just going to assume that the rest of the crew were literally Sealab and Fethry is actually the most competent one left.

This was a very Sealab episode, yeah. All that's left is for Dewey to start interviewing real human people for Dewey Dew-night, do an episode that's just scribbles on lined paper by a clearly high "animator", and introduce a vaguely brain-damaged character voiced by John C Reilly and they'll have covered pretty much all of Adult Swim.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I saw it as a Subnautica episode with the creatures attacking the base and all that, but same diff

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

This was a very Sealab episode, yeah. All that's left is for Dewey to start interviewing real human people for Dewey Dew-night, do an episode that's just scribbles on lined paper by a clearly high "animator", and introduce a vaguely brain-damaged character voiced by John C Reilly and they'll have covered pretty much all of Adult Swim.

Does the show get a Toonami intro and bumper package out of this hypothetical situation?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Huh, a cartoon character voiced by Tom Kenny who lives under the sea inside of something yellow....why does that sound so familiar?

Anyway, I really liked cousin Fethry! I'm now kind of hoping for a cousins adventure story where Fethry, Galdstone, and Donald all have to team up for some reason and Donald is rapidly driven to anger induced madness by the antic of his family.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Donald for some reason strikes me as someone who has a particular patience for someone like Fethry, though not willingly getting involved with them unless it's really important.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not watching this but as someone who watched the 80s cartoon.. what the gently caress is with new cartoon art, or at least the ones in this style?

I just hate it. The massive over simplification. The constantly smuggish smiles. I don't know. It's like such a downgrade from the 80s. Which is ridiculous.

ED: Seriously every image in the OP I would describe as 'smug'

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but there's a bunch of reasons that basically boil down to traditional hand drawn cell animation vs modern digital animation techniques + you're a literal crazy person looking through the filter of nostalgia glasses.

Traditional Disney cartoons had a bit of 'bounce' in the animation style as well.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's like such a downgrade from the 80s. Which is ridiculous.

That aside, imo the current range of cartoons has remarkably fluid animation compared to the cartoons of 10-15 years ago, at the peak of cheap flash animation. Remember Mucha Lucha?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also you are a double crazy person if you don't give the new season a try.

It's really good, funny, and just an absolute delight.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ofaloaf posted:

That aside, imo the current range of cartoons has remarkably fluid animation compared to the cartoons of 10-15 years ago, at the peak of cheap flash animation. Remember Mucha Lucha?

I remember that one. I liked the theme song.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Seriously every image in the OP I would describe as 'smug'

?

Like...

I think maybe you should share your definition of the word “smug” here, because I have no idea how that word even applies to most of the images in the OP.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'll go with Louie, Glomgold, and Gladstone looking smug. All perfectly appropriate

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Infinitum posted:

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but there's a bunch of reasons that basically boil down to traditional hand drawn cell animation vs modern digital animation techniques + you're a literal crazy person looking through the filter of nostalgia glasses.

Traditional Disney cartoons had a bit of 'bounce' in the animation style as well.

I wasn't a fan of the new art either at first but it's grown on me. I think the lines will soften a bit as the characters get drawn more -- you see that happen with a lot of comics and animation, compare early simpsons with late, etc.

Overall though the new art is serviceable but not as appealing as the 80's art at least to my personal taste. The new version of the theme song isn't as good either. The writing is massively stepped up though, so, y'know, six of one, half dozen of other, etc.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Was this the first episode without Webby?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ofaloaf posted:

Yeah, regardless of what anyone might think about the style (I personally like it), the actual animation is great-like you said it's very fluid, and there's a ton of extra details and flourishes that really help sell it as a high-quality production.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, regardless of what anyone might think about the style (I personally like it), the actual animation is great-like you said it's very fluid, and there's a ton of extra details and flourishes that really help sell it as a high-quality production.

I thought you were talking about the dinosaurs at first and I just stared at my screen numbly for five seconds.

The short answer for the modern style is complex character design can over-complicate the things that really matter in animation, like movement, pose clarity and facial expressions. When you have a TV series, streamlined designs offer less opportunity for gently caress-ups. Complex design is best left to feature where you can dump more time and money into making it look good.

Think early Looney Tunes featurettes compared to their 70's TV counterparts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So which which relative are they gonna pull out to parallel to Dewey because I wanna see what unshown epic adventure Launchpad goes on for his trifecta.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not simplification, it's stylization, especially if you're comparing to the cartoons of the 80s. Back in the 80s, most cartoons tried to fault on the side of realism, which was especially obvious in the toy commercial cartoons, but even in the old Ducktales, the backgrounds were basically simplified photorealism and the characters stuck pretty rigidly on-model, which didn't have much more of a design aesthetic beyond the base Disney style, whereas the new Ducktales is filled with design and aesthetics decisions. There's a wide variety of animal people beyond the weird dog-men of the original, every character has a distinct silhouette and even facial characteristics to differentiate from the rest, and the backgrounds are made with color palettes in mind as well as consciously evoking the nostalgia of old comic books with things like stippling and color misalignment.

Part of that is because there's a bigger talent pool putting more thought and effort into modern cartoons, and part is because traditional hand-drawn frame-by-frame animation is more expensive these days than it used to be, so getting talented artists to create coherent design aesthetics that can work better with computer animation technology is cheaper than finding an animation studio out in Japan that can stick to the model.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

So which which relative are they gonna pull out to parallel to Dewey because I wanna see what unshown epic adventure Launchpad goes on for his trifecta.

The only ones left are Abner Duck and Gus Goose. My money's on Abner. Unless they go all out and introduce the triplet's father and have him be the Dewey analog. Could also be Della too. So far she's been presented mostly as a parallel to Dewey, her primary color is blue (Gladstone's was green, and Feathery's was red, hint hint), so it just might be her. We'll find out eventually, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dewey kinda has a few adult foils; he's noted to be the most like his mother, gets along well with Launchpad, and even has a personal enemy now in Don Karnage. Also might be compared to Darkwing Duck.