Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Getting that. My nephew can have my pw2.

Well, once a jailbreak is out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If it had the Voyage buttons I'd be replacing my Voyage with it as soon as possible.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Still has the steel blue light? Cool, getting a Kobo now!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I haven’t felt a need to upgrade my paper white, but this is tempting. And there’ll probably be a Black Friday special.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Amazon is offering me $50 and 25% off if I trade in my Voyage, making it $50 for more storage and waterproofness (and minus light adjustments and buttons). I think I might bite.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Maximize that 25% and get an Oasis!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hell, that's what I did. Asked em for a discount, and then the sale hit that let me grab an oasis.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I'll probably keep my Paperwhite until it breaks because nobody else in the house really reads for fun, and the one other person that does read frequently doesn't use ebooks. It feels wasteful to get a new one.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

im on the net me boys posted:

I'll probably keep my Paperwhite until it breaks because nobody else in the house really reads for fun, and the one other person that does read frequently doesn't use ebooks. It feels wasteful to get a new one.

Send me your new one then, since you're satisfied with the old one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Amazon is offering me $50 and 25% off if I trade in my Voyage, making it $50 for more storage and waterproofness (and minus light adjustments and buttons). I think I might bite.

Nice, I’m going to look at trade ins on Thursday, I have two older kindles, I’ll see what they fetch (not expecting the same), order the waterproof one for me and my wife goes from the original touchscreen kindle to my current paper white.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
I guess I'm getting a kobo forma

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Once again it's that time when I start quietly hoping for my current Kindle to break.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Waynebo posted:

I guess I'm getting a kobo forma

F

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Neat, new firmware updates for all the Kindle from the newest to Paperwhite 2nd gen.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Neat, new firmware updates for all the Kindle from the newest to Paperwhite 2nd gen.

Anything cool or good

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hey, does anyone here use Scribd? I'm trying to figure out if it's something worth trying considering I don't :filez: ebooks anymore

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
From what I can gather it's new themes, new home screen, few new options for stuff.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

From what I can gather it's new themes, new home screen, few new options for stuff.

Also I think an actual battery percentage.

I can’t get mine to update, the option is greyed out. Will it just do its thing on its own eventually?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rolo posted:

Also I think an actual battery percentage.

I can’t get mine to update, the option is greyed out. Will it just do its thing on its own eventually?

Probably done in waves. If you're impatient, you can just manually download the update file to copy on to the Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529680

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
I received the forma today, it's really light. I'm really wary considering I snapped the aura one somehow.

dead aura one next to forma

a paperwhite (212ppi) next to forma

Waynebo fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 26, 2018

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Waynebo posted:

I received the forma today, it's really light. I'm really wary considering I snapped the aura one somehow.

dead aura one next to forma

a paperwhite (212ppi) next to forma

the forma looks cool

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Crossposting from the Android app thread. I got a new tablet (just a cheapo Android one) and have been porting over all my ebooks over, but for some reason it doesn't want to connect to my computer so I can't use Calibre to get all my books transferred. I downloaded the Calibre Companion app which is fantastic, but apparently I need a third party e-reader app to read the files on since the Kindle app isn't recognizing them (even my azw3 files). Anyone know of any good ones that can sync with books downloaded through the Kindle app, and random .mobi files I have? I tried Moon+, but it doesn't seem to register the books downloaded through the Kindle app.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Soysaucebeast posted:

Crossposting from the Android app thread. I got a new tablet (just a cheapo Android one) and have been porting over all my ebooks over, but for some reason it doesn't want to connect to my computer so I can't use Calibre to get all my books transferred. I downloaded the Calibre Companion app which is fantastic, but apparently I need a third party e-reader app to read the files on since the Kindle app isn't recognizing them (even my azw3 files). Anyone know of any good ones that can sync with books downloaded through the Kindle app, and random .mobi files I have? I tried Moon+, but it doesn't seem to register the books downloaded through the Kindle app.

You might be better off converting those Kindle ebooks into epubs which pretty much every ereader app on the Google Play Store supports.

Edit: To clarify, the ebooks you're getting directly from Amazon are DRM protected. So nothing short of an actual Kindle device or Kindle app will read them. You have to convert them to use them in other apps.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 29, 2018

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Soysaucebeast posted:

Also, are you sure that when you're connecting your tablet, your USB settings aren't just set to charge only? Sometimes you have to look at the lock screen or whatever and make sure that transfer files is the USB setting set.

Also don't forget that you can mail files to your Kindle straight from Calibre (as long as it's in a format that the Kindle can read, although usually Calibre will convert it if it's not).

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Also, are you sure that when you're connecting your tablet, your USB settings aren't just set to charge only? Sometimes you have to look at the lock screen or whatever and make sure that transfer files is the USB setting set.

Also don't forget that you can mail files to your Kindle straight from Calibre (as long as it's in a format that the Kindle can read, although usually Calibre will convert it if it's not).

Yea, I've got an RCA Viking 10 and from the but of research I did about it yesterday, it just straight up will not connect to a computer via USB unless you buy their proprietary cord.

I wasn't aware I could mail books from Calibre to Kindle though. I'll definitely need to check that out.

Edit: Well, I lose the cover art of the books, but emailing them to my kindle app directly works, thanks! There's no way to edit the metadata in the kindle app for books emailed there, is there? If not it's no biggie, I just like the cover art. Either way, I appreciate the help.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 29, 2018

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Obligatory cross quote from the CSPAM book thread:

Epic High Five posted:

all ebooks are 90% off at Haymarket this month!! Lots of good oneS!!!!!!

https://www.haymarketbooks.org/

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I plug my kindle into my computer about once a week to put a periodical on it and almost never charge it. Now I've had it actually set to charge from the wall since it was at 20% but it's only at 50% after about an hour and a half. Have I hosed my battery?
E: it finished charging like an hour later I worried about nothing

im on the net me boys fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 11, 2018

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Black Friday deals up on the new PaperWhite. £119-£89
Argos have price matched it too, so time to dump those nectar points.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone got experience going from the Kindle Voyage to the latest generation Oasis? I'm thinking it might be a decent upgrade for my dad for Christmas.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone got experience going from the Kindle Voyage to the latest generation Oasis? I'm thinking it might be a decent upgrade for my dad for Christmas.

I went from Voyage to Oasis to New Oasis. I kept the latest gen Oasis for a few weeks and sent it back because it is not that comfortable to hold and the battery life is not great (for an eReader). If a new one came out with a rubberized back like the Voyage/1st gen Oasis I'd probably bite on it because the big screen is really great. But for me, the slick aluminum back is awful. I would say you really need to hold one to know if it's going to work for you.

I also tried a Kobo Aura One because of the comfort light but really missed the lack of Whispersync so now I just use my phone when I'm in bed reading at night. I never read that long in bed anyway because I fall asleep too fast.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I did, because I cracked my Voyager screen. The un-symmetrical design looks goofy as hell, but works really awesome. I do like the clicky buttons of the Oasis and in general like it better than the Voyager.

If I didn't break it, I definitely wouldn't have paid the money to upgrade it, however.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Oasis is here today, so I will let you know.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I upgraded from a Paperwhite to an oasis thanks to a trade in deal and a coupon, and I love it. Without that trade in deal though, I'd still have my Paperwhite.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was hoping for a discount on the new waterproof kindle today, but looks like they’re only discounting the old one. Anyone see a deal anywhere?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

I was hoping for a discount on the new waterproof kindle today, but looks like they’re only discounting the old one. Anyone see a deal anywhere?

Some people are getting targeted for 20% if you use 1 AmEx membership reward point. I'd check to see if you're targeted for that.

It's also possible the new kindle will go on sale some time between today and Monday

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

svenkatesh posted:

It's also possible the new kindle will go on sale some time between today and Monday

What new Kindle is this?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Duckman2008 posted:

Where are you, because it already is in the UK?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm assuming he was asking about the new waterpoof PW that was released within the last few months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

svenkatesh posted:

I'm assuming he was asking about the new waterpoof PW that was released within the last few months.

This, and I’m in the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Only deal I know off is the 25% off + trade-in value when you give them your old kindle.