Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Demon_Corsair posted:

This loving game. Day 2 I get a raid, and down the guy without taking a hit. He gives me a grunt hauler and a crafter, two things i'm hurting for. Haul him back to my cell (I have learned that the first room you ever build is a prison cell) 29 resistance, 75% recruitment difficulty.

Still considered guilty, so I will probably just slit his throat. Do I get a mood debuff for that? Of I select release, can I just kick his bleeding rear end out to die in the woods?

That's really not bad, and it'll give your warden some practice.

If you absolutely don't want to bother, install peg legs on him and send him back to his people so he'll be weaker in subsequent raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

If you absolutely don't want to bother, install peg legs on him and send him back to his people so he'll be weaker in subsequent raids.

Yeah. Honestly, I'd keep him and tell your best social person to get to work. :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Demon_Corsair posted:

29 resistance, 75% recruitment difficulty.

That's not unreasonable at all, many pawns I've captured have much worse diff/resist.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you know, after the mention of not making high value art too early i abruptly started wondering how good of an idea it would be to make a honeypots for raiders outside of your base to store high differential trade goods.

like basically making a wooden corridor, 3 wide, with an art stockpile at the end of it. traders can still access it just fine when they show up because it's a stockpile under your home territory etc. but when raiders show up, they bum rush the (open) door at the end of the corridor, step on an incendiary IED on the way there, and cook their own dumb asses as they try to raid your store.

even then, what's the worst case scenario, they steal your art or sellable beds and leave? who cares, that's just wood to you, beats the ever loving hell out of them injuring or killing someone. you will replace it in a day or two.

this is obviously non ideal in a lot of ways in terms of defense but with the big nerfs to turrets raids are increasingly more of a question of what you lose rather than how to not lose.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well if you want to think about it like that you can just leave a pile of expensive poo poo somewhere undefended and just let raiders take stuff and leave :shrug:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flesh Forge posted:

There really should be a warmup for some of the Game Over type incidents, but at least you can reload.

There is: not using Randy for the first year or two. You won't get a 2 season toxic fallout in your first year with the other two storytellers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i had always meant to make a storyteller mod that did pretty much exactly that as a quality of life thing but gently caress off if you think i have time after all of the work i do on a daily goddamn basis

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

There is: not using Randy for the first year or two. You won't get a 2 season toxic fallout in your first year with the other two storytellers.

Fair enough, I'm already used to disabling some of the specific events the other two storytellers do like "wanderer join", good suggestion.

I've decided to start using Medieval Times again, I really feel like there's a huge hole between tribal tech and electricity. It's pretty hard to resist rushing straight to electricity just because there's so little else to do instead.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

New game is roughly 2 years in and going good. Though I'm starting to run out of map resources. Its mostly components, tbh, and traders (caravan or ship) seem to be less common in this save than my last one (Randy gonna Randy I guess).

I guess I could send out a caravan to gather resources or go trade, but I'm stuck waiting for a decent harvest to make survival meals/pemmican and I'm not sure I have the defensive manpower to spare a 2-3 rifleman for caravan duty. I also lack draft animals for hauling poo poo.

Actually how big a caravan do some of you guys use?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
A visiting tribal merchant came, and one of the members of the caravan just happened to be the lover of one of my colonists.

She was beautiful, a quick sleeper, highly skilled, and healthy. We wanted her.

I traded with the merchant hoping she might be for sale, but no such luck. When the caravan began to leave, I noticed she was lagging behind. As her friends began to exit the map I "arrested" her. Her lover just happened to have an inspired recruitment. She joined instantly.

They'll be back some day. The action meant instant hostilities would exist between our people. But it's all just a misunderstanding, see. Maybe there will be peace talks.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Just kill 90% of the people that co.e to rescue her, while releasing all the survivors.

Peace is assured.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
aaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! i had a perfect game going, was just digging an additional meat freezer and then i got this event where a bunch of bugs spawned out of nowhere and killed my entire crew within seconds!!!!! how do i deal with this?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Al! posted:

aaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! i had a perfect game going, was just digging an additional meat freezer and then i got this event where a bunch of bugs spawned out of nowhere and killed my entire crew within seconds!!!!! how do i deal with this?

By turning the infestation event off since it is complete bullshit unless you are making a vault under the mountain (when it is balancing difficulty), or have already hit the deep drills-level tech and have serious firepower at your disposal.

But seriously, the bugs are all huge bullet sponges; immediately abandon the area and try to kite the bugs one at a time, or pile every turret and mine you have to the choke point. In earlier versions walling off, setting the area on fire and closing the doors would cauterize the region nicely, but this may or may not work depending on your base layout or the area they spawned.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Coolguye posted:

just make a stockpile outside of the base that only accepts rotten animal corpses and set the stockpile as critical. that'll get it off of your lawn and it'll rot to dust from being unroofed eventually.

Even better, make the stockpile is deep river water so that the stuff will degrade even quicker

Vasudus posted:

I'm giving Climate Cycle++ a try, picking an arid shrubland and the 'Winter is Coming' setting. Basically I have like...four years? or so before the temperature will be as cold as the ice caps. My goal is to build a completely sustainable indoor facility with shitloads of room for all the animals I can find, like a mountain-based Ark or something.

I would love to see a Thing mod where you don't know which of your colonists is the Thing and it just splurgs out every now and then to get the other colonists, but could also be aaaaany of the animals.

Philthy posted:

Two of my peeps fell in love and just got married. In the middle of winter outside. That's some commitment. :love:

Fun story, early on I had one of my beginning colonists fall in love with and enter a relationship with a newcomer, but in his social it said he was still married, but there was no sign of his wife. So time goes on, they stay quite loved up, power couple of the colony, it's been a couple years so I decide to crack open the ancient danger. I deal with it, and open up the cryo pods, manage to acquire one of them. After a little while, healing them up and wearing them down to recruit them I notice...

yeah it's the original guys wife. She was locked up in a cryopod the entire time. There wasn't a happily ever after for her either, she hated him and hated his other half. He divorced her, which pissed her off JUST as they got to the point where their relationship was out of the red, then married his new lover. She tried relationships with other colonists that didn't last long. I don't even think she died a dignified death either. The one colonist I've just felt really awful for the entire time, life just constantly did muffalo sized shits on her.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I kinda wish raiders didn't immediately go for sappers but instead spawned as normal and if they couldn't get in would siege you, waiting for someone to gently caress up and open a door. Than you could also have a middle ground of raiders with crowbars who pop doors slowly (but not auto doors) and finally work your way up to sappers who just burrow the gently caress in with the peak being drop-raiders.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Keeshhound posted:

It's more that I can't really afford to spend the food. I just got my rice plot planted, so it will be a while until that is producing. I guess I could just hunt ever single animal on the map and hopefully squeak by.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
What biome are you in? As long as you're careful, manual hunting should be safe enough to get by on. Just wound things until they'll bleed out, it makes it less likely that they'll berserk on you.

Also, installing peg legs is good for like 3k med experience each, so that's definitely a solid choice if you've got a doctor to train. In that same vein, once you have a surfeit of herbal meds, setting colony animals to euthanize instead of slaughter is good for a quick and painless 1k for your doctors' med skills.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 30, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
God drat grizzly bear ate my dog and half a caravan.

I was going to bury Winner, but couldn't find his corpse.

Winner became dinner.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don’t forget you can forage bushes for berries if someone isn’t busy.

As far as romantic/family drama on my colony, the first chance to get a new colonist for me turned out to be the ex-wife of one of my starting three. At first I thought it would lead to some interesting drama but within the first couple of seasons the two had hit it off again and became lovers. The got remarried late in the second year. Amusingly they’re both ascetic so the both get to enjoy their barren room with its concrete floor.

Other than that one of my other first three, Budapest, is married to a psychopath, so I’m kinda interested to see how that will go given she gets nothing out of social interactions.

The same guy is also the hated rival of one of the colonists I picked up midway through the second year because Budapest apparently shot and killed his daughter in the same raid we captured him in.

Early into Y2 winter I finally got the crematorium running and so dismantled the mass grave outside the base. Halfway through cremating the pile of ~30 or so skeletons I remembered about his daughter and hastily checked the corpse pile. Thankfully his daughter’s body hadn’t been chucked in the furnace yet and I so I was able to allow the guy to give his daughter a proper burial.

Guy wasn’t too appreciative though, must be because he is the colony’s other psychopath. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 30, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
One of my colonists was miserable because she had 2 husband's die affecting her mood lol

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Random question - how often does wildlife repopulate? I'm playing a desertish biome that is in the 90-110F range, and it's basically devoid of any wildlife to hunt after the initial one. I'm unsure if it's a mod or it's just that it's too hot for anything.

Other question - is there a good "no electrical events" mod that works for 1.0? I used to have one for .18, but it doesn't work.

My random Rimworld story from this colony is that we had a person crash land, so I captured her and hoped to recruit her. Unfortunately, the colony was struggling on food after mental breakdowns and a heat wave, and after a couple days I figured I'd just let her go. I guess I was too busy with other things because when I had went to release her, not only had she died from heat stroke, but one of my other colonists was so desperate for food she was munching on the prisoner's corpse.

Whoops.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dragongem posted:

Random question - how often does wildlife repopulate? I'm playing a desertish biome that is in the 90-110F range, and it's basically devoid of any wildlife to hunt after the initial one. I'm unsure if it's a mod or it's just that it's too hot for anything.

I've never played in a desert biome before but it seems like wildlife comes and goes. I've had it recently on my temperate map where the list of animals was 3-4 long, and then after a time some packs of animals show up and the list gets huge again.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Dragongem posted:

Other question - is there a good "no electrical events" mod that works for 1.0? I used to have one for .18, but it doesn't work.

RTFuse is good for zzt events. Solar flares you can disable in scenario settings.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dragongem posted:

I don't know what the precise numbers on animals moving in and out of your map are, but deserts definitely get less, and they'll leave if you're in the middle of a heat wave, so you're better off relying on farming for your food if you want to play as tuskens.

I'm assuming you mean the zzzts/short circuits, and for that you can just customize your scenario to turn them off. Just save it with a name that'll remind you to use it instead of the default.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

jerman999 posted:

RTFuse is good for zzt events. Solar flares you can disable in scenario settings.

RT also has a Solar Flare Shield mod.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Don’t forget you can forage bushes for berries if someone isn’t busy.

Is there a good way to have your berry picker actually bring back the berries? I hate berry picking since it usually turns into intense micro to actual bring the drat things back.

Do people usually start hunting immediately to preserve the starting survival meals? I usually just wait until my first crop of rice comes in.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Bought this game about a year ago, but decided to wait for 1.0 before diving headfirst. Gotta say this game owns bones. Two of my original colonists became lovers but unfortunately later during a random day the guy was hunting a megasloth that triggered the vengeance event for the sloth who promptly ripped the leg off of his lover before he could put it down. He rushed to save her from blood loss and was successful. A day or two later he got inspired to perform surgery so I had him give her a peg leg. About a week later they got married and he's been on cloud nine since.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there a good way to have your berry picker actually bring back the berries? I hate berry picking since it usually turns into intense micro to actual bring the drat things back.

Do people usually start hunting immediately to preserve the starting survival meals? I usually just wait until my first crop of rice comes in.

I haven't used this with 1.0, but used to be a staple mod of mine.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1544626521&searchtext=

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Demon_Corsair posted:

Back when I played crashlanded I would, yeah. Survival meals are super useful as a backup for when something goes stupidly wrong (although things can also go stupidly wrong to the survival meals, too), and it's important to have as many backups as possible, which is why I tend to have my cooks making pemmican pretty much constantly.

For berry picking it's helpful to have allow tool installed for the urgent haul command, or otherwise just set everone not harvesting to highest priority hauling for half a day or so.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 30, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah for you newbies that picked this up after launch, you should absolutely be using manual priorities instead of the basic checklist if you aren't already

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that checklist is so loving colossally worthless i question why it's even still in the game

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Coolguye posted:

that checklist is so loving colossally worthless i question why it's even still in the game

for my 11 year old who plays on Builder

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

I haven't used this with 1.0, but used to be a staple mod of mine.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1544626521&searchtext=

Still works, I use it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if your 11 year old is playing this game on any level they're more than smart enough to understand the distinction between priority 1 and priority 3 i m h o

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Coolguye posted:

if your 11 year old is playing this game on any level they're more than smart enough to understand the distinction between priority 1 and priority 3 i m h o

I just really, really want to see what kind of base an 11yo builds, because sometimes you can get some interesting ideas from within the chaos, like with Minecraft stuff.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

I just really, really want to see what kind of base an 11yo builds, because sometimes you can get some interesting ideas from within the chaos, like with Minecraft stuff.

micromanaged beyond what you can believe, played on speed 1, all colonists constantly given updated individual orders, colony never makes it past the first rabbit attack because she doesn't care that much :)

she's in the game as an NPC name, too

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Joseance posted:

One of my colonists was miserable because she had 2 husband's die affecting her mood lol

Black widow

Catalina
May 20, 2008

explosivo posted:

Good stuff about base defenses.

Thank you, that's very helpful! Maybe this time I'll even survive to a 5th year.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kill corridors are inherently ugly and I refuse to use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Well, grabbed the game because it was time. I am ready to horribly fail my colonists.