Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Waffle House posted:

I'd probably get shot for dumpster diving an X, but it looks like with a little elbow grease and maybe a roof I could drive it :wow:

Fren, watch Rich Rebuilds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCfV0_wbjG8KJADuZT2ct4SA?videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao how a whole Tesla in the photo got thrown into the trash pile wheels and all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bawfuls posted:

ok so going by these numbers and a little math

https://twitter.com/TeslaCharts/status/1055439802881974274

The 2017 Q3 numbers imply a gross profit per S or X of $16,520. Pretend they improved this by 10% because they're competent (lol). That means $502.6M of the 2018 Q3 auto gross profit was from S/X, leaving $1,071.4M from the 3. This implies $19,187 gross profit from each Model 3.

Considering their lovely FPY rate, that strains credulity.

I'm pretty sure that level of profit for an automobile doesn't just strain credulity; it's just on-its-face absurd/impossible. I remember hearing that most sedans only make like $1-2k in profits or something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ah, but 3rd party dealerships are theft you see

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
MARGINS!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Meanwhile, the RWD LR option is apparently gone and there are rumors of a battery shortage. Hence the LEMR to conserve on batteries.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

etalian posted:

lmao how a whole Tesla in the photo got thrown into the trash pile wheels and all.

correction: it drove itself into the trash

this is a feature :yeah:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Lmfao

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The Q3 numbers are totally legit as long as you believe that a car company can go from losing hundreds of millions every quarter to making a massive profit in one quarter, much larger than any of the established auto companies that are tightly and efficiently run to survive on small margins and huge CapEx costs

and also during that same Miracle Quarter you somehow ignore the dozens of executives running for the hills **including the CAO**, the countless images of abandoned desert cars with failed QC stickers, the growing pile of lawsuits/leins, and the idiotic train of unhinged Musk tweets promising impossible things and taunting regulators

Totally legit

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Truga posted:

ah, but 3rd party dealerships are theft you see

well...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

I'm pretty sure that level of profit for an automobile doesn't just strain credulity; it's just on-its-face absurd/impossible. I remember hearing that most sedans only make like $1-2k in profits or something.

This varies wildly by brand. Porsche is known for absurdly high profits for a large manufacturer at around $18k per vehicle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fknlo posted:

This varies wildly by brand. Porsche is known for absurdly high profits for a large manufacturer at around $18k per vehicle.

However, the quality of Porsche is much, much higher than that of Tesla. They've gotten their production line down pat.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

fknlo posted:

their servicing is also highway robbery, my boss who lives in loving Bel Air had to downgrade to a Lexus after a year, because replacing the tires every three months (those are heavy cars, and why them putting out an EV should be a cakewalk) and other miscellaneous repair center visits that could reach two grand were able to tighten even his purse strings.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

iospace posted:

However, the quality of Porsche is much, much higher than that of Tesla. They've gotten their production line down pat.

"Intermediate Shaft Bearings"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Waffle House posted:

We don't talk about those.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Waffle House posted:

Every manufacturer has "that part" that you can bring up to say they're unreliable.

Ford spark plugs
GM ignition switch
Honda automatic transmissions
Toyota frames
BMW HPFP
Mercedes biodegradable wiring
Chrysler.....gently caress, Chrysler everything

Porsche does still put out the occasional lemon, but they're consistently at the top of reliability ratings.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

iospace posted:

We don't talk about those.

"The Iron Duke"
"Changing spark plugs on a Triton V8"
"Volkswagen EPA scandal"
"7M-G(T)E Head Studs"

I am unfortunately so gay for cars that even international scandals don't throw me from any manufacturer though

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Iron Duke was... a weird duck. It's a 100% bulletproof engine (see all the Grumman LLVs still running around), but gods it made no power.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

iospace posted:

The Iron Duke was... a weird duck. It's a 100% bulletproof engine (see all the Grumman LLVs still running around), but gods it made no power.

yeah I guess fair, mail trucks, but the Fiero could have used something else for how...you know what, nevermind, let's not talk about the Fiero

e: I'll let the malaise era speak for itself too

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

fknlo posted:

Luxury cars are an exception. While Model 3s are expensive, they aren't really luxury cars (and it's already been established that the reason they weren't actually selling the $35k ones is that they couldn't make money on them).

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Everyone’s focusing on the 3 margins...
But Tesla also claims their S and X margins almost doubled last quarter.

Magic.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

i wonder if elong will scream and struggle as they remove him from the tent in handcuffs, and someone will catch it all on video from a drone

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

FistEnergy posted:

I'm confused because a financial professional should sniff out this mickey mouse bullshit in a nanosecond

markets have never been efficient and the finance industry is run by some of the dumbest people alive. donald trump was still getting debt investment until like five years ago.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

fknlo posted:

By percentage Porsche isn't much more profitable than other premium brands. They all vary around the 6-10 percent region depending on model.

Re: iron Duke

It's not hard to make a reliable engine. The hard part of Powertrain engineering is making the engine light, relieable, efficient and clean for its power output. Sadly reliability is the first thing that went out the window in the mid 2000s (egr, particle filters, complicated variable valve timing and lift solutions)

Combat Theory has issued a correction as of 12:10 on Oct 30, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Something I'm unclear on is the whole mechanics liens and accounts payable thing; how much flexibility does creative handling of that offer?

LIke, I can totally believe that they could fucktouple their margin on any given car if they just don't pay for the parts and the contractor work and their factory electricity bills and their taxes and just shoo shoo all that debt into some unspecific future? Are they even legally obliged to include that in the calculation of margin/per unit or is actually okay to just call it irrelevant by-the-by debt they'll deal with later?

I'm trying to figure out how easy is it to just call this straight up fraud versus it being potentially legal creative accounting.

In the next quarter or the one after that they might break ground with on the Chinese factory, funnel all the investment money they get for that to finally pay up their bills and handwave their numbers being red as gently caress as "Well, we're investing! We're expanding! You can't grow without spending, dummy!"

By then they might as well be finally able to raise funds again and keep the ponzi scheme running until they can actually produce a functional car they can actually profit from sometime in 2035 after Elon finally overdoses?

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Teal posted:

Something I'm unclear on is the whole mechanics liens and accounts payable thing; how much flexibility does creative handling of that offer?

LIke, I can totally believe that they could fucktouple their margin on any given car if they just don't pay for the parts and the contractor work and their factory electricity bills and their taxes and just shoo shoo all that debt into some unspecific future? Are they even legally obliged to include that in the calculation of margin/per unit or is actually okay to just call it irrelevant by-the-by debt they'll deal with later?

I'm trying to figure out how easy is it to just call this straight up fraud versus it being potentially legal creative accounting.

In the next quarter or the one after that they might break ground with on the Chinese factory, funnel all the investment money they get for that to finally pay up their bills and handwave their numbers being red as gently caress as "Well, we're investing! We're expanding! You can't grow without spending, dummy!"

By then they might as well be finally able to raise funds again and keep the ponzi scheme running until they can actually produce a functional car they can actually profit from sometime in 2035 after Elon finally overdoses?

Well, an expense is an expense when you incur it and a raw materials inventory asset is an inventory asset when you make it, not when you pay for the raw materials.

But as we all know, the best way for your business to have fcf is to not pay your bills at all. :downs:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Combat Theory posted:

Re: iron Duke

It's not hard to make a reliable engine. The hard part of Powertrain engineering is making the engine light, relieable, efficient and clean for its power output. Sadly reliability is the first thing that went out the window in the mid 2000s (egr, particle filters, complicated variable valve timing and lift solutions)

1970s-1980s tractor engines are the best example of this. weigh a ton, can be identified by smell a field away, produce a dozen or so horsepower at most, and are utterly bulletproof with routine maintenance.

emissions controls are finally showing up on off-road engines and let's just say that it isn't very popular among the users.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shifty Pony posted:

1970s-1980s tractor engines are the best example of this. weigh a ton, can be identified by smell a field away, produce a dozen or so horsepower at most, and are utterly bulletproof with routine maintenance.

emissions controls are finally showing up on off-road engines and let's just say that it isn't very popular among the users.

That's from a big part just the insane torque they're optimized for; high torque and low RPM means everything has to be overbuilt and yet there's less gradual wear from friction as that depends more on the distance traveled (as in, the number of turns a given bearing makes, for instance) rather than the relative loads. High torque low RPM also offers itself better to consciously engineering stuff to looser tolerances.

I don't doubt today quasi-monopoly locked manufacturers love the opportunity to use emission control to build the brand new ones with bits designed to fail but the base physics requirements on these machines inherently make them last longer normally.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

.....Elon?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Vomik posted:

.....Elon?

The pitot tube icing over is what brought down that air France flight from Brazil

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't believe frosty pitot tubes are what's still bringing down airliners in YOTL2018. These things are meant to have self checks and redundancy out of the rear end; how comes this isn't detected and how comes there's no alternative like cross reference from for example GPS?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
because in tyool 2018, most pilots aren't pilots, they're autopilot babysitters. couple lack of regular hands on flying with shoestring airline budgets and they don't get nearly enough simulator time either, so you end up with this poo poo.

"my plane is falling out of the sky what do? better pull on that stick to climb some more" *stalls into ocean*

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

If you don’t follow checklists or have lax maintenance anything can bring down an airliner

That headline is pretty funny though, if you know anything at all about airplanes it’s almost on the level of like, “Did a small metal tube kill JFK? Experts speculate that a tube filled with explosives used to throw a metal ball called a gun may have contributed to his death”

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

broke: flat earth
woke: tube earth

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

HookedOnChthonics posted:

If you don’t follow checklists or have lax maintenance anything can bring down an airliner

That headline is pretty funny though, if you know anything at all about airplanes it’s almost on the level of like, “Did a small metal tube kill JFK? Experts speculate that a tube filled with explosives used to throw a metal ball called a gun may have contributed to his death”

gently caress and i thought it was bc he didnt nuke cuba

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Did a small metal tube bring down a large metal tube? *clicks the link* No... no it didn't.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i mean, yeah, but in an ideal world, the pilot would also know what the gently caress to do in a situation where your pitot tube is hosed, instead of panicking and lawndarting into the ground.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Rated PG-34 posted:

gently caress and i thought it was bc he didnt nuke cuba

Nukes are also metal tubes.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

brugroffil posted:

The pitot tube icing over is what brought down that air France flight from Brazil

that and pilot incompetence. the lengthy New Yorker article about this was a great read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Truga posted:

because in tyool 2018, most pilots aren't pilots, they're autopilot babysitters

Yeah I get that but that's all the more reason to not rely on one source of altitude/velocity reading when we already have another that's probably more accurate and more reliable at both, and at least when it fails it's very easy to tell that it failed, by design GPS doesn't really have a way to bullshit fake data because as soon as anything is slightly off the maths completely falls apart so it's easy to spot the fail state.