Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My biggest problem with WE but ESPECIALLY brets in game 2 is that the slower burn/traveling crusade kinda campaigns really suffer from the longer turn times. They're a lot more noticeable for me there than with factions that expand normally, especially in the early game where you can barely build anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Brets also suffer from a glut of 2 settlement provinces and a wonky economy. Yeah you get free walls but your garrisons are such dumpster tier it often doesn't help much.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How you would do anything but elephants or rhinos is beyond me, when elephants and rhinos exist. Maybe some big prehistoric ostrich thing but we already have dinosaurs. And it could be a fun gimmick if Araby/DoW can take regular ol' war elephants but only this hypothetical faction can master riding giant LotR-style mammoths with big fighting platforms.
But the real secret is:

Pick actual african things, maybe talk to a folklorist! It's way less racist and more interesting! Could be, even focus on a specific culture and period instead of "Africa." The reason that southlands humans got dropped like hot poo poo way back in the 90s is because what little was written about them was "Darkest Africa: The British Nerd's Very Informed Take"

More likely though would be some sahel kingdom stuff showing up in Araby though.
Efforts had been made to tame zebras for millenia but it turns out they are too aggressive. But in a fictional game that would work well-they're like horses but with a temperament to rip the throats out of lions.

Elephants are boring when Norsca already has mammoths, and Ogres will be riding on rhinoceruses anyway.

Ostrich riders are novel and they could get creative with certain units, like having packs of hyenas (or just straight up Gnolls) that get great bonuses vs zombie type enemies on account of being scavengers.

I guess imagine a middle ages version of Wakanda basically; itself just as advanced as it's northern counterparts but in unique ways.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

jokes posted:

I think the final WH2 update will be dogs of war and it'll include a revamp of Empire sort of like how Vampire Coast revamped the Vamps (again).

You have no idea how exciting this it to me.

God I hope so. I really enjoy the knights and gunpowder empire gameplay but I'm tired of building the actual empire and fighting endless hellwars against zombies. Give me a mercenary horde army to go cruise the world with, CA!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Morgan Bernhardt and the Grudgebringers DLC, when CA???!!

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
God there was nothing better than one shotting that mutherfucker mannfred von carstein with the grudgebringer cannon. Teenage me certainly did a fist pump when this happened, dark omen was great!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Apparently LegendofTotalWar copped a suspension on Twitch for, among other things, arranging his units in a swastika. Just in case people needed any further indication that he’s a dumpster fire.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

fargom posted:

God there was nothing better than one shotting that mutherfucker mannfred von carstein with the grudgebringer cannon. Teenage me certainly did a fist pump when this happened, dark omen was great!

Imagine an Imperial Steam Tank, rolling over Nagash's face, forever

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Mantis42 posted:

This is the first I've heard of flail wielding orangutans and now I demand they be put in the game immediately.

This man has you covered:

https://www.deviantart.com/eoghankerrigan/art/Orangutroll-299112641

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Panfilo posted:

Efforts had been made to tame zebras for millenia but it turns out they are too aggressive. But in a fictional game that would work well-they're like horses but with a temperament to rip the throats out of lions.

Elephants are boring when Norsca already has mammoths, and Ogres will be riding on rhinoceruses anyway.

Ostrich riders are novel and they could get creative with certain units, like having packs of hyenas (or just straight up Gnolls) that get great bonuses vs zombie type enemies on account of being scavengers.

I guess imagine a middle ages version of Wakanda basically; itself just as advanced as it's northern counterparts but in unique ways.

I could also see cheetah hunting packs, we've been trying to tame those for thousands of years but they just don't breed well in captivity.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I could see the southlands as a cavalry focussed faction led by not!Mansa Musa using all kinds of weird specialized animals. You've got the TK to the north and skaven to the south with endless skeletons and rats to be ground to dust by your big anti-infantry beasts and once you get big you can show kroq'gar why dinosaurs are extinct and your animals are not.

super quick & dirty list of things I can think of the top of my head:
tier 1:
hyena based war dog equivalent

tier 2:
gottagofast cheetas

tier 3:
feral zebras
zebra chariots(too aggressive for riders, charioteer is safely out of their biting kicking range though)
ostrich riders
anti-large camelry

tier 4
monstrous cav gastornis riders
a hippo but it's single model monster sized
monstrous sized pride of lions

tier 5
monstrous wildebeest shock cavalry(highest charge bonus and mass for their unit size but sloooow acceleration and turning)
mûmakil with the serial number filed off
mûmakil but now it has a howdah full of archers
mûmakil with a siege weapon in it's howdah(with a tier 4 forge building)
ninki nanka dragon-equivalent flier

commander mounts:
horse
zebra chariot
wildebeest
ninki nanka

and then do the lizardman thing and give the mûmakil to spellcasters

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Asehujiko posted:

ninki nanka dragon-equivalent flier

fan art for this dude has it as a giraffe dragon crocodile, he seems cool.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

You all forgetting baboons.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The only mount your legendary lord will need is a giant ape. So big it just slaps flying units around in melee.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ind has good guy beastmen that team up with the humans and might be divine. Gigantopithecus LL.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
this is from a few pages back, but

Panfilo posted:

I dunno Tau seem like genuine chill dudes.

Randarkman posted:

Chill dudes who use mind control to maintain their rule.

it always annoyed me that GW's answer to "the tau aren't grimdark!" whining from people who didn't get what made tau fit into the setting* was making them the same sort of hitler as everyone else instead of trying to do anything interesting with them and it was one of the main things that made me completely lose interest in 40k

*what made tau fit into the grimdark setting was futility - it wasn't really explicitly mentioned (which is probably why the nerds with no critical thinking skills looked over it) but mentioned offhand in a bunch of places that, due to their inability to develop the same level of high-speed FTL as everyone else (something about their physiology makes them incompatible with the warp), they were doomed to being a tiny rump state whose continued existence was only because they were kind of in an inconvenient place to attack and would never amount to much assuming some random ork waaaagh/tyranid fleet/crusade didn't grind them into a fine paste anyway

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Have the unique animal units really region specific and it could be a good reason to explore and expand. So you have to go to a southeastern archipelago to get the flail orangutans. Further south you can recruit Bogans riding in the pouches of giant wallabies. Near the South Pole you get mutant elephant seals that spray acid out their snouts. And so on.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panfilo posted:

Have the unique animal units really region specific and it could be a good reason to explore and expand. So you have to go to a southeastern archipelago to get the flail orangutans. Further south you can recruit Bogans riding in the pouches of giant wallabies. Near the South Pole you get mutant elephant seals that spray acid out their snouts. And so on.

Travel to Lustria and get a dinosaur with a giant, poisonous flower growing out of its back. Go to the Galapagos to get giant tortoises that shoot high-pressure jets of water. Maybe find some sort of fire-breathing lizard in the Badlands.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Crotch posted:

Travel to Lustria and get a dinosaur with a giant, poisonous flower growing out of its back. Go to the Galapagos to get giant tortoises that shoot high-pressure jets of water. Maybe find some sort of fire-breathing lizard in the Badlands.

Say, my name's John, John Nintendo and I think you just might be onto something...

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
i Don’t think having the swarthy southerners using a bunch of animals and zebras and poo poo is ok.

What’s wrong with zulu warriors/wakanda poo poo?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wild Horses posted:

i Don’t think having the swarthy southerners using a bunch of animals and zebras and poo poo is ok.

What’s wrong with zulu warriors/wakanda poo poo?

Nothing's wrong with that, but I think most of us are here for the crazy magic and monsters. The Empire and Bretonnians already do the 'mostly normal dudes with a few bits of wacky poo poo' routine, I don't particularly want to see another one even if they look very different.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i have no idea how they rate the difficulty of campaign starts, but skrolk starts next to lizardmen who are like the worst faction for skaven to fight, and his start is rated as normal. by contrast Queek starts next to orcs, who are pretty easy to beat and get a good foothold on, but his start is Very Hard.

I don't get it.

Tretch is also rated at normal, despite the fact he doesnt get a special food building so hes just hosed until you can research enough tech to not be at negative food all the time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It would be great if they used African folklore as a jumping off point. They have lots of regions and stories to choose from. The medieval drawings of African wildlife - some of which are as far from reality as stuff like the hypogriff - are pretty evocative.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It would be great if they used African folklore as a jumping off point. They have lots of regions and stories to choose from. The medieval drawings of African wildlife - some of which are as far from reality as stuff like the hypogriff - are pretty evocative.

That'd be an interesting take. The absurd Medieval drawings being accurate.

African wildlife as presented by medieval sketches.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
If you want a game where you command an army of Apes, have I got a game for you! :unsmigghh:

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Lexicanum has an image of humans of the Southlands. I have no idea if any lore for them exists outside of this image:

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 31, 2018

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chakan posted:

If you want a game where you command an army of Apes, have I got a game for you! :unsmigghh:
This was exactly what I thought it would be.

:unsmigghh:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

it always annoyed me that GW's answer to "the tau aren't grimdark!" whining from people who didn't get what made tau fit into the setting* was making them the same sort of hitler as everyone else instead of trying to do anything interesting with them and it was one of the main things that made me completely lose interest in 40k

*what made tau fit into the grimdark setting was futility - it wasn't really explicitly mentioned (which is probably why the nerds with no critical thinking skills looked over it) but mentioned offhand in a bunch of places that, due to their inability to develop the same level of high-speed FTL as everyone else (something about their physiology makes them incompatible with the warp), they were doomed to being a tiny rump state whose continued existence was only because they were kind of in an inconvenient place to attack and would never amount to much assuming some random ork waaaagh/tyranid fleet/crusade didn't grind them into a fine paste anyway

I think there is some merit to grimdarkifying them as time goes on. There is something to be said for people with good intentions going out and realizing that they have to break a few eggs in order to survive. Like part of forging an empire means that you will have to subjugate people from time to time. There may be those who accept you with open arms, but there will be others who will resist to their dying breath. What do you do with people who don't buy into the "greater good"? Either you leave them alone, or you crush them. Kind of like a naive child learning that sometimes the police don't arrest the bad guy, sometimes they kill them. And sometimes the guy they kill might not even be bad.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Necroskowitz posted:

Lexicanum has an image of humans of the Southlands. I have no idea if any lore for them exists outside of this image:

they look really cool, i love the half samurai, half cataphract type armour on the one guy. those three could straight up be the three hero types of a southlands faction

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Only mod that I play with that makes the game "easier" at all really is the passive AI mod, which seems to be broken now for some reason, and gently caress does the game suck when you're getting all your poo poo assassinated every couple turns.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

terrorist ambulance posted:

Only mod that I play with that makes the game "easier" at all really is the passive AI mod, which seems to be broken now for some reason, and gently caress does the game suck when you're getting all your poo poo assassinated every couple turns.

I always use this mod. It seems to break with faction unlockers I think, or it did when I gave Crynsos a shot. It makes it easier in the way that it's easier to walk when you wear shoes instead of walking barefoot over a pile of legos.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

terrorist ambulance posted:

At least with the new traits system every time they fail an action vs your lord you have a chance to get progressively more chance to resist it in the future. Though I'm still trying to figure out what specifically makes the trait trigger- either resisting enemy hero action attempts X times or each successful resist has a X% chance to get the trait.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Agents aren't worth loving with. When WH2 came out I didn't use it and it was absolutely obnoxious strolling on into the dark elf area as Tyrion and being greeted by about 6 separate heroes bogging my poo poo down, trying to assassinate Tyrion every goddamn turn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I learned to turn off agents when playing as the dwarfs. They do nothing but create grudges you can't expunge because they always run away and tend to come from areas far away from your armies anyway.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
With what mods though? The passive agents one is broken as of like a couple hours ago.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1157936478

This is the one I use-- is it broken now?

If so, this action does not have my consent.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
It's not showing up in the mod manager for me. The last couple comments on the mod are people recently posting about the same thing happening. I don't think it's a mod interaction, I didn't change anything recently.

Maekrix Waere
Jul 10, 2010
Apparently a handful of mods have disappeared from the mod manager for some reasons. I know at least Crynsos' modding framework disappeared on me and some other people. There was a workaround for it in the comments on the framework's Steam workshop page that worked for me, but dunno if it would work for all the other mods.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Brets also suffer from a glut of 2 settlement provinces and a wonky economy. Yeah you get free walls but your garrisons are such dumpster tier it often doesn't help much.

I am doing a Bret campaign at the moment and it is pretty fun. Doing a southward crusade to root out the tomb kings while also starting to exterminate the rest of the we (fools never got the message when Orion was put down).
Once the Bret economy get rolling you have tons of money and best of all is no penalty for multiple armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Cardiac posted:

I am doing a Bret campaign at the moment and it is pretty fun. Doing a southward crusade to root out the tomb kings while also starting to exterminate the rest of the we (fools never got the message when Orion was put down).
Once the Bret economy get rolling you have tons of money and best of all is no penalty for multiple armies.

My Bret ME's tend to end up complete dumpster fires with me having to fight DE, Greenskins, Vamps, Norsca and Chaos all by myself because all the "good guys" got their poo poo kicked in. Like Karl was just sad and lost to Boris, who then got wiped out by something. I never even saw the dawi, everything southeast of the forest was all Grimgor. The victory condition quest battles can't be teleported to and pretty much require your absolute best stack, which I can't send on a 10+ turn journey because everything is on fire. God loving damnit.