Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Rumda posted:

to be fair Duncan is radicalizing him self slow over the course of revolutions just look at the essay from last week compared to the actual coverage of events of the end of the porfiriato

Who wouldn't be?
I used to read the military thread to be up to date on pike manufacture and deployment because those police horses are a PITA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nessus posted:

If you're concerned that those terms will give you the skeleton warriors:

We have a loose cultural discourse here on SA about goons being awful but goon groups in video games being astonishing and cool (even if in some games the goon guild is actually mediocre at best). This gets reified (or made from abstract to concrete) by people founding goon groups or creating Discords for new games that come out, and perpetuated when people bitch about loving pubbies, or indeed refer to each other as goons.

Similarly, many somewhat-older people have reflex hate of "those loving goons" from antics undertaken fifteen years ago, or in EVE, and extend this to the goon group in other games, even when no actual trolling, raiding or whatever occurs.

Is this historical fun fact about the forums?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's an explanation of how someone stating verifiable or at least generally-accepted facts can present things in vastly differing ways depending on their perspectives.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, goons have a long history of getting up to shenanigans in the gaming world. Pretty much every game worth playing (well, even many that aren't) has some kind of goon presence. Also consider that SomethingAwful is important enough to internet history and used to be a much more significant chunk of the internet population that that presence was also probably large, unruly, and tightly knit.

"INTERNET: SERIOUS BUSINESS" is a long time goon culture motto as there are few things goon groups love targeting more than other groups that take online games way too seriously. You really saw that in EVE in particular; while everybody else was waving their e-honor dicks around and seeing who had the most skill points or the highest KDA or whatever Goonfleet has a long history of just burying the other player corps in piles of destroyed ships. A core Goonfleet strategy has always been to have recruitment drives then tell the new blood to just like take this gigantic bag full of cheap ships and go get them blown up nobody cares about your KDA and if you do we think you're stupid. While everybody else was wanking about their kill boards goons were just kind of drunkenly farting around in a gigantic, unpredictable blob.

Goons, for whatever reason, have also always come up with the most imaginative ways to grief so that poo poo tends to get remembered.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Nov 1, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Dark age of Camelot and the horse kicking on the bridge grief that lasted for weeks is how I learned about SA.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, goons have a long history of getting up to shenanigans in the gaming world. Pretty much every game worth playing (well, even many that aren't) has some kind of goon presence. Also consider that SomethingAwful is important enough to internet history and used to be a much more significant chunk of the internet population that that presence was also probably large, unruly, and tightly knit.

"INTERNET: SERIOUS BUSINESS" is a long time goon culture motto as there are few things goon groups love targeting more than other groups that take online games way too seriously. You really saw that in EVE in particular; while everybody else was waving their e-honor dicks around and seeing who had the most skill points or the highest KDA or whatever Goonfleet has a long history of just burying the other player corps in piles of destroyed ships. A core Goonfleet strategy has always been to have recruitment drives then tell the new blood to just like take this gigantic bag full of cheap ships and go get them blown up nobody cares about your KDA and if you do we think you're stupid. While everybody else was wanking about their kill boards goons were just kind of drunkenly farting around in a gigantic, unpredictable blob.

Goons, for whatever reason, have also always come up with the most imaginative ways to grief so that poo poo tends to get remembered.

Also the spy ring.

That was the single most amazing and fascinating thing to come out of the war between Goons and BoB. The loving spyring.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tashilicious posted:

Also the spy ring.

That was the single most amazing and fascinating thing to come out of the war between Goons and BoB. The loving spyring.

I like the fact that Mittens can take down entire enemy alliances without even logging in.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I like the fact that Mittens can take down entire enemy alliances without even logging in.

Double agent logs in
Double agent randomly has CEO access
Double agent clicks disband button

many lulz were hadz

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tashilicious posted:

Double agent logs in

many lulz were hadz

"Disband of Brothers" was the top joke from that era.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tashilicious posted:

Double agent logs in

many lulz were hadz

Is there a thread to read about this?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And in Star Trek Online, goons by themselves completely shut down the public erotic role-playing scene. Then, in a time when fleets would charge pubbies huge prices for invites to get access to the stuff sold only by high level fleet facilities, goons invented space communism and would freely offer anyone who asked temporary membership in the fleet so they could get the goodies everyone else was charging an arm and a leg for.

That stuff mostly ended years ago, but we're still hated in that game.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

And in Star Trek Online, goons by themselves completely shut down the public erotic role-playing scene. Then, in a time when fleets would charge pubbies huge prices for invites to get access to the stuff sold only by high level fleet facilities, goons invented space communism and would freely offer anyone who asked temporary membership in the fleet so they could get the goodies everyone else was charging an arm and a leg for.

That stuff mostly ended years ago, but we're still hated in that game.

Didn't we also grief a WoW funeral or was that something else?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Oh my goodness, that is the best thing ever. What is it with goons and space communism? That's a significant thing on Goonfleet too.

Though really that's one of my favorite things about goons; as insane and lovely as we can be we do look after our own.

xtal posted:

You're probably thinking about a wedding. The funeral I don't think was goons.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's an explanation of how someone stating verifiable or at least generally-accepted facts can present things in vastly differing ways depending on their perspectives.
Yeah I was giving a summary of the idea of "reifying" and "discourses" using the forums as a relatively neutral common illustration. But I guess our raids are kind of a minor historical fun fact now!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xtal posted:

Yeah I don't think Goons, even back then, were asocial enough to crash an in game funeral for a person who died in real life.

That was another band of shitbags.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh my goodness, that is the best thing ever. What is it with goons and space communism? That's a significant thing on Goonfleet too.

In this specific case, since I was around for it, it was because goons were getting pissed at the other big fleets exploiting the common pubbies - STO is a very casual game given that it's free to play and all. And while yes, the fleet holdings are very expensive and take a large fleet or one with very deep pockets to build and develop (and goons are both), we were building these things anyway for our own use and it cost us nothing to briefly let people into the fleet so they could travel to the fleet facility and buy what they wanted. We created a whole global chat channel just for pubbies to request temporary access to our stuff.

Even the devs like us. :)

Pubbies, not so much.

Maybe because we did things like this (before it got fixed).

We also made scrotum head custom aliens.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That just makes me like Starfleet Dental even more. :allears:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Might be some misfiring synapses, but didn't Starfleet Dental start off as a goon guild in some Star Wars MMO? Not Galaxies but a later one. So even the name was designed to piss off nerds.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Might be some misfiring synapses, but didn't Starfleet Dental start off as a goon guild in some Star Wars MMO? Not Galaxies but a later one. So even the name was designed to piss off nerds.

Statfleet Dental is actually canon, there's some random screen somewhere in TNG were the words "Star Fleet Dental" pops up.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
You can't talk about Starfleet Dental without mentioning the amazing recruitment videos they make/made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwjj4e1VRfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz0hvpUTcGU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

RagnarokZ posted:

Statfleet Dental is actually canon, there's some random screen somewhere in TNG were the words "Star Fleet Dental" pops up.

Always reminded me of that dentist in Trekkies that named his practice Starbase Dental.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I believe starfleet dental started in star trek online. Then some portion of them moved into Star Wars the Old Republic. And then on into Guild Wars 2.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1252 Hakon IV of Norway gave Henry III a polar bear. The king was so delighted by this gift that he kept in the Tower of England and it was kept on a long enough leash so that it could hunt for salmon in the Thames.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There are/were salmon in the Thames?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

There are/were salmon in the Thames?

There are/were salmon in most major NW Europe rivers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Salmons are hella into rivers, and fish were way more prevalent than now.

In the middle ages in Denmark, the contemporary accounts say you could shovel herring from the sound with a bucket. Perhaps exaggarated, but still in the 16th century, it is documented that the fishermen could live a whole year from fishing herrings once or twice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wacky Delly posted:

I believe starfleet dental started in star trek online. Then some portion of them moved into Star Wars the Old Republic. And then on into Guild Wars 2.

those are the byzantine dentals

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's probably overlap with other goon guilds as there always is, but I'm pretty sure the Starfleet Dental gimmick was decided on before the game was even released.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
In the Swedish province of Halland (whose heraldic animal is a salmon), there was a law up to around the 20th century that you could only feed your farmhands salmon six days a week.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's mostly apocryphal, though salmon fishing has been extremely common due to the four large rivers in the county, so that's probably where the story comes from ("I heard that down there they fish so much salmon that they're not allowed to serve it to their servants more than six times a week!").

The heraldry of Halland is not a salmon, but a lion rampant against a blue field (Azure, a Lion rampant Argent langued, armed and dente Gules).

The city of Varberg has a salmon in its heraldry though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Krankenstyle posted:

Salmons are hella into rivers, and fish were way more prevalent than now.

In the middle ages in Denmark, the contemporary accounts say you could shovel herring from the sound with a bucket. Perhaps exaggarated, but still in the 16th century, it is documented that the fishermen could live a whole year from fishing herrings once or twice.

well yeah that's why there's a population a on spit of sand and a couple of rocks

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

bony tony posted:

The heraldry of Halland is not a salmon, but a lion rampant against a blue field (Azure, a Lion rampant Argent langued, armed and dente Gules).
"Heraldic" was the wrong word, I guess. The official province animal is a salmon, though.
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landskapsdjur

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I guess I thought salmon were a Pacific thing with all the Pacific Northwest salmon iconography

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
[American exceptionalism intensifies]

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Platystemon posted:

[American exceptionalism intensifies]

It's be native American exceptionalism u idiot

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

your friend a dog posted:

It's be native American exceptionalism u idiot

ya, they get into the exceptionalism too

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Basically Atlantic salmon went into decline when people started damming rivers for power in the industrial age. In the 60s-70s Canada, the US, Norway and other countries started regulating and restricting Atlantic salmon fishing in an attempt to allow fish stocks to recover, as was done with cod. Eventually commercial fishing was banned entirely, and recreational fishermen in Canada limited to 1-2 fish or catch-and-release only. The US declared the species endangered and thus recreational fishing is banned entirely.

However, Denmark continued to heavily fish the spawning and feeding grounds off Greenland, eventually causing the collapse of both economic salmon fishing and the species itself, and it wasn't until this year that Greenland announced a temporary ban on salmon fishing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imo the problem is that the danish govt is fully retarded. obviously grønlændere & færinger want to fish and they shouldnt be denied because theyre a few people.

however, money told us to fish until there were no fish no more. and now they dont have fish either. gently caress.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mr. Sunshine posted:

"Heraldic" was the wrong word, I guess. The official province animal is a salmon, though.
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landskapsdjur

Yeah I misunderstood what you said, sorry.

We do eat a lot of salmon so it only makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Krankenstyle posted:

imo the problem is that the danish govt is fully retarded. obviously grønlændere & færinger want to fish and they shouldnt be denied because theyre a few people.

however, money told us to fish until there were no fish no more. and now they dont have fish either. gently caress.

As always: