Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Can anyone help with IDing this plant?

I got it in a plant sale, and am trying to figure out how cold hardy it is. Apparently it survived overwintering in a greenhouse in a part of town at a much higher elevation than here, and we're zone 8. I'm just wanting to check whether I need to bring it indoors for winter or not.

If I need to bring it indoors, it's either going in the entrance hall of our apartment block, or somewhere at the office. It's a pretty awesome plant, though. It's also trying to flower right now (inflorescence pictured in second photo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Download PictureThis. It's really good.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think those are katydid eggs btw: https://www.google.com/search?q=kat...bih=758#imgrc=_

A lot of insects lay eggs in very orderly patterns like that. Scale insects would be all over the place.

So I'd leave them alone. Katydids are cool. They may eat your plant though......

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think those are katydid eggs btw: https://www.google.com/search?q=kat...bih=758#imgrc=_

A lot of insects lay eggs in very orderly patterns like that. Scale insects would be all over the place.

So I'd leave them alone. Katydids are cool. They may eat your plant though......

in other words, they are not cool

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Download PictureThis. It's really good.

Thanks!

Yeah, it thinks it's Fatsia japonica, which is kind of what my Google-fu had come up with, but I was doubting since none of the images showed it having a trunk. (Apparently this is something people train it to do.)

Anyway, sounds like it is actually frost-hardy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Thanks!

Yeah, it thinks it's Fatsia japonica, which is kind of what my Google-fu had come up with, but I was doubting since none of the images showed it having a trunk. (Apparently this is something people train it to do.)

Anyway, sounds like it is actually frost-hardy.

If that's an accurate ID (seriously I've never seen one with a trunk like that) then yeah it's cold-hardy. There are some in the ground outside my building and they survive freezing temperatures every year.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If that's an accurate ID (seriously I've never seen one with a trunk like that) then yeah it's cold-hardy. There are some in the ground outside my building and they survive freezing temperatures every year.

I've read in a few places that you're meant to hard prune it every year to keep it in bush form, so maybe the trunk form is what happens when you don't?

I quite like it like this, though. If I had more room indoors I'd probably keep it there. It has a lot of presence!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Haha just noticed my neighbours have one of these, and it's 10 feet tall. Apparently they can grow to be 12 feet if you let them. Also, the way a lot of people grow them to avoid having trunks seems to be basically coppicing.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Alright so I believe my English ivy plant has a spider mite infestation :smith:

I've been poking around online for some information, but also though to ask the goon hivemind. What's the best way to get rid of these buggers? I just moved the ivy to a spot where she'll get much more sunlight, so hopefully that helps the overall health, but I want to get rid of these suckers so she can be back to 100%.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Johnny Truant posted:

Alright so I believe my English ivy plant has a spider mite infestation :smith:

I've been poking around online for some information, but also though to ask the goon hivemind. What's the best way to get rid of these buggers? I just moved the ivy to a spot where she'll get much more sunlight, so hopefully that helps the overall health, but I want to get rid of these suckers so she can be back to 100%.

Diatomaceous earth, just dust all around the plant with it, getting the tops and bottom of the leaves, and the surrounding soil. Wait to water it for a few days.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can also spray the plant with neem oil. It clogs up the mites' sucker bits and kills them.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
If possible, I would start by taking it outside and spraying it all over with a strong jet of water. Physical removal is always the best policy before resorting to chemical warfare.
-Sun Tzu

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for the tips, everybody. We ended up getting some neem oil from a friend and just sprayed her down for the first time. Question about the oil: the directions on the bottle to say "use immediately" after basically emulsifying the oil in a soap/water mixture. Does this mean we shouldn't use the same batch next week?

The directions say spray once a week for five weeks, so I guess we'll stick with that. I just hope she can hold up that long, she's looking... leggy I think was a term? The leaves on the ends of the vines look pretty good but closer towards the pot she has no leaves and looks so sad :ohdear:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
for what its worth I chop back anything remotely dead at all on my ivy and its much happier for it. it also seems to like some air flow

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

Thanks for the tips, everybody. We ended up getting some neem oil from a friend and just sprayed her down for the first time. Question about the oil: the directions on the bottle to say "use immediately" after basically emulsifying the oil in a soap/water mixture. Does this mean we shouldn't use the same batch next week?

I dunno about the Use Immediately clause, I've definitely kept the same bottle mixed for a few weeks and it's worked fine. One caveat I do know, though: neem oil can be too harsh for some leaves. I burned some Avocados by not washing them off, and instead letting the spray dry. So good practice is to always rinse leaves thoroughly 15-30 minutes later

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nosre posted:

I dunno about the Use Immediately clause, I've definitely kept the same bottle mixed for a few weeks and it's worked fine. One caveat I do know, though: neem oil can be too harsh for some leaves. I burned some Avocados by not washing them off, and instead letting the spray dry. So good practice is to always rinse leaves thoroughly 15-30 minutes later

Oh, gently caress. The instructions on the bottle didn't say anything about that, only that you should use at absolute max a 2% solution of it. We approximated, and I'd say it wasn't more than that, but this is good to know, thanks!

Would some kind of fertilizer help get the English ivy healthier faster, or should I just wait until after we're done treating her with the neem oil and go from there?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the oil itself is harmful to leaves. It's the interaction with sunlight that causes damage. I've definitely burned plants with it in the past, but I've also had good luck with spraying in the evening, moving the plant to shade, and then rinsing thoroughly with water before returning to the light.

e: Maybe also overapplication clogs stomata??

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh, gently caress. The instructions on the bottle didn't say anything about that, only that you should use at absolute max a 2% solution of it. We approximated, and I'd say it wasn't more than that, but this is good to know, thanks!

Would some kind of fertilizer help get the English ivy healthier faster, or should I just wait until after we're done treating her with the neem oil and go from there?
Unless a plant is suffering from a nutrient deficiency (which is fairly uncommon) its almost always a bad idea to fertilize a sick/stressed plant. Give the neem oil a week or so and see if things improve. Once it is looking a little better, it might not be a bad idea to cut it back if it is getting leggy. Ivy is generally tough as poo poo so I wouldn't worry too much or do to much to it-it should come through on its own. I think too much love has killed more plants than neglect.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the oil itself is harmful to leaves. It's the interaction with sunlight that causes damage. I've definitely burned plants with it in the past, but I've also had good luck with spraying in the evening, moving the plant to shade, and then rinsing thoroughly with water before returning to the light.

This is what I've always read too-the oil droplets can focus sunlight like a magnifying glass and burn foliage. As long as you shake it up before each use, I think you can use mixed up Neem oil for forever.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Unless a plant is suffering from a nutrient deficiency (which is fairly uncommon) its almost always a bad idea to fertilize a sick/stressed plant. Give the neem oil a week or so and see if things improve. Once it is looking a little better, it might not be a bad idea to cut it back if it is getting leggy. Ivy is generally tough as poo poo so I wouldn't worry too much or do to much to it-it should come through on its own. I think too much love has killed more plants than neglect.

This is what I've always read too-the oil droplets can focus sunlight like a magnifying glass and burn foliage. As long as you shake it up before each use, I think you can use mixed up Neem oil for forever.

Word, thanks! Yeah the instructions on the neem oil specifically say to do it at night, so I'm glad we got that right. We're having very overcast skies the next few days so I'm not super worried about direct sunlight.

The bottle says to spray it once a week for five weeks, but it sounds like y'all have used it a bit more frequently on plants, is there a general consensus for frequency of use?

Sorry I'm asking so many (probably) dumb questions, I am woefully ignorant of all things plant-care related so I'm being a worrywort.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Use it sparingly like the instructions say. A round of spraying, assuming it gets into the crevices where spider mites hide, will kill them. Repeated spraying is done after a delay to kill new mites that have hatched from eggs, which aren't affected by the oil.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think it's potentially both; when I burned my Avos the majority of the damage was to the underside of the leaves, so it wasn't a sun thing. It wasn't a ton of damage, but definitely something to watch.

I posted a few pictures ITT https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738&userid=27875&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post484916663

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nosre posted:

I think it's potentially both; when I burned my Avos the majority of the damage was to the underside of the leaves, so it wasn't a sun thing. It wasn't a ton of damage, but definitely something to watch.

I posted a few pictures ITT https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738&userid=27875&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post484916663

Post updated succy pics!! How are they holding up?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Which ones?? It's probably a good thing I'm somewhat limited by space because I'm totally a sucker for hardware and grocery stores with racks of cheap succulents and am getting a lot

plus, you know, trying to propagate every single leaf that falls off

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I've heard that cacti and other succulents are also sensitive to neem, so avoid using it on those. I've been having mealie bug issues on some of my succulents and have had success hitting them with a cotton swap soaked in rubbing alcohol.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ive been spraying neem on my plants for the past two weeks and it has done absolute jack

the leaves keep getting eaten still and i cant tell what it is that is eating them, but it's immune as gently caress to neem oil

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

If big chunks are taken out and you can't see anything, that sounds like a snail/slug/caterpillar that's coming out at night. And yea, the bigger stuff will likely shake off a homemade spray (or avoid it)

An oil/mild soap spray is best for aphids, small caterpillars, spider mites, and other smaller stuff that sticks around and can be drenched

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Well, drat. It's too late to re-plant the broccolis and brussel sprouts now.

Fortunately they haven't touched by beets and carrots, so I won't starve this winter.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Well, drat. It's too late to re-plant the broccolis and brussel sprouts now.

Fortunately they haven't touched by beets and carrots, so I won't starve this winter.

If it's cole crops then you're probably dealing with cabbage loopers (little green caterpillars). For those you want Bt.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Anyone got ideas on what this is? Looks like a citrus but has no leaves. Has some little fruit things that are about an inch long.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Lemon tree?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

If it's cole crops then you're probably dealing with cabbage loopers (little green caterpillars). For those you want Bt.

what's bt?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

there wolf posted:

Lemon tree?

There’s a lemon tree out the front so I’d be surprised if there was a second, I guess I’ll have to wait and see?

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Going to assume they're referring to Bacillus thuringiensis, the organism used as the source of genes for pesticides used in GMO crops such as Bt corn.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s an organic pesticide that kills the gently caress out of caterpillars of all types.

TheMightyHandful posted:

There’s a lemon tree out the front so I’d be surprised if there was a second, I guess I’ll have to wait and see?
It’s defintely some kind of citrus. Sometimes a freeze will make them drop all their leaves without killing the twigs/branches and they’ll still flower.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

You would be surprised at the amount of people that would believe me when I said "limes are just unripe lemons" while looking at my lemon tree

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

dihaploidy posted:

Going to assume they're referring to Bacillus thuringiensis, the organism used as the source of genes for pesticides used in GMO crops such as Bt corn.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It’s an organic pesticide that kills the gently caress out of caterpillars of all types.

Yep, and is completely non-reactive to humans, plus it only works on the caterpillars that eat it, so it's extra-specific. It's good stuff for dealing with caterpillars attacking your cole crops / squash / tomatoes.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hi!

My mom grows succulents in a haphazard way. She has a LOT of them, but she doesn't even know what a lot of them are called. She gets most of them at big box stores in Pennsylvania.

Anyway, does anyone know of some uncommon ones she's unlikely to have?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

Hi!

My mom grows succulents in a haphazard way. She has a LOT of them, but she doesn't even know what a lot of them are called. She gets most of them at big box stores in Pennsylvania.

Phemeranthus are really cool and i’ve never seen them in stores. They’re in all of my pots at this point and handle as much or as little water as they get.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Beachcomber posted:

Hi!

This is my experience with collecting succulents:

Common succulents: crassula (jade plant), sempervivum (hens & chicks), aloe, sedum (stonecrop), cacti
Uncommon succulents: hoya, lithops (butt plant), titanopsis (mimicry plant), gasteria (ox tongue)

Even though jade plant is common, there are uncommon types of crassulas that are fun. See watchchain crassula, gollum's fingers, and baby necklace. Hoya seems also rather hard to come by. I got my cutting from a coworker, but you might find one online somewhere. Check etsy maybe.

Check out this fishbone cactus. Gotta get me one of these:

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pearl necklace is pretty unique, but I don't know about rarity.
Uhhhh, make sure you include the word succulent in your googling for that one.