Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what kind of engine noise do you like

Most V12s, LFA V10, Lamborghini V10, AMG V8s, Aston V8s, Corvette V8s (especially/specifically in C7R variety). That's not an exhaustive list nor does it include bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

It's starting f150 crew cab king ranch money. Starts making sense to a commercial operator who's going to factor in fuel costs to the budget.

Construction vehicles aren’t cheap no matter what if you want them to actually perform.

If someone made a F250 style or Mercedes freightliner style, with 100 mile range and and 120v jobsite power with decent amperage, id trade my five trucks in immediately.

Just the time savings of always having the trucks charged up in the morning, and not having to find a diesel station in some rear end end of nowhere would justify the premium.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FilthyImp posted:

Ok, questionable aesthetics aside it seems like the i3 did a lot of poo poo right. It doesn't have assmazing range and it won't blow your dick to the next zip code with its monster acceleration, but it's a solid build right?

An i3 is sub 4 seconds to 40mph, it's quick. The exterior? Eh? We managed to shove a 59x29 1/2" Ikea table top in ours the other week so the exterior at least allows an incredibly practical interior. I guess the thing that people don't understand is the i3 is unapologetically a city car, last weekend we drove around all afternoon running errands and we didn't crack 40 miles, my commute to work is under 15 miles total, it's perfect if you don't have to drive much.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what kind of engine noise do you like

High-revving v-twin

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

They just sound like mechanical noise amplified by a hollow metal can.

This is most engines. Car culture would have you believe there is some fine audio going on, but there really isn't. It's just dumb noise associated with a desirable car. Like wine snobs can get owned in a blind tasting, car guys could listen to a Fiat Panda with open headers and think it was a Ferrari.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

This is most engines. Car culture would have you believe there is some fine audio going on, but there really isn't. It's just dumb noise associated with a desirable car. Like wine snobs can get owned in a blind tasting, car guys could listen to a Fiat Panda with open headers and think it was a Ferrari.

Disagree. Some of the hollow metal cans are carefully tuned to selectively minimize the (subjectively) bad noises and amplify the (subjectively) good ones. Others aren't because what has sound got to do with going fast. Still others just think loud = good and put no more thought into it other than that.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Construction vehicles aren’t cheap no matter what if you want them to actually perform.

If someone made a F250 style or Mercedes freightliner style, with 100 mile range and and 120v jobsite power with decent amperage, id trade my five trucks in immediately.

Just the time savings of always having the trucks charged up in the morning, and not having to find a diesel station in some rear end end of nowhere would justify the premium.

Your workers are still going to stop at the gas station and spend 90 minutes warming up a breakfast burrito in a broken microwave.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Tesla's upcoming pickup truck sounds like it might be what you're wishing for, though at this point all they've revealed is one concept drawing and Elon Musk's usual style of bragging (though he does sound quite passionate about it, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with).

Though speaking of heavy equipment, they've filed a patent for a central tire inflation system:

https://electrek.co/2018/10/19/tesla-patents-automatic-tire-inflation-system-tesla-semi/

It was speculated that they were looking to offer it on the semi, though a pickup truck seems like it would be more likely to do things that would justify that sort of feature.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Found a little more on this from Stealth EV, who did the electric portion of the build. Custom chassis with integrated motor mount:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Electric power steering and parking brake, too. That’s a nice setup, there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I agree, that is cool as hell.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why wouldn’t they just mount the motor in the back if it’s a custom chassis? :psyduck:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It was probably built off a jig to mount the body from certain trucks so there were still spacing / layout constraints

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Looks like that motor fits in the trans tunnel

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think the "traditional engine appearance" was part of the aesthetic goal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
ok that's kinda cool

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
All that great work and yet the dogshit panel / paint.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's called patina. It's what characterizes the derelict series.

https://www.icon4x4.com/derelict/pastprojects

They do super clean every item perfect stuff, too.

https://www.icon4x4.com/reformer/pastprojects

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I love the paint job. It’s what makes the car's renovation such a surprise.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jehu went to SEMA and there's info about the Icon and the Chevy prototype crate EV motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em-XOEo7QmU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: AI Secret Santa is up! :siren:

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Ran into a deer yesterday, and haven't gotten the news from the insurance yet, but it looks like my Jetta Sportwagen TDI may be on the chopping block. I'm thinking of taking my wife's Honda Fit and then buying her a volt or something similar for her commute. Is there anything to look out for with used Volts, or are they a good buy? I'm mostly just worried about battery degradation, etc.

Of course, we could just go the used Leaf route instead. Or maybe an e-Golf

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Genderfluent posted:

Ran into a deer yesterday, and haven't gotten the news from the insurance yet, but it looks like my Jetta Sportwagen TDI may be on the chopping block. I'm thinking of taking my wife's Honda Fit and then buying her a volt or something similar for her commute. Is there anything to look out for with used Volts, or are they a good buy? I'm mostly just worried about battery degradation, etc.

Volts are cool and good. The first gen had the radiator sitting a bit too low and will eventually get a rock put into it. Some wire mesh will fix that issue though. Other than that I never had an issue with mine.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Genderfluent posted:

The volt qualifies for the full $7500 tax credit so depending on model year end incentives at dealers you may want to think about a new one with the full factory warranty.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Qwijib0 posted:

The volt qualifies for the full $7500 tax credit so depending on model year end incentives at dealers you may want to think about a new one with the full factory warranty.

Any estimate on when that goes away? I was gonna buy one in February or March-ish once I get my taxes in order and paid.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Any estimate on when that goes away? I was gonna buy one in February or March-ish once I get my taxes in order and paid.

GM will probably hit the 200k this quarter, so the phase out will start for them with a halving of the credit July 2019

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
If you’re considering a gen 2 Volt, as an FYI the 2019 models come with an optional 7kW charger which can make it a full EV for folks with longer commutes provided they have a place to charge at work. The current charger is about half that power-wise which may or may not top you off before you head home.

I don’t care about that, though, as I’ve only worked for one company that had one EV charger made available at work, and they literally had a timeshare system for employees to use it. This was a major electrical manufacturer that also made drive systems for EVs in its other facilities. :shepface:

Edit: Apparently Chevy is offering 0% APR on 2018 models for up to 72 months. Jesus, they must be having trouble moving them.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 8, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The 2019's also get some additional goodies such as driver's side power seat, and updated infotainment system. (using the same software platform as the Bolt now apparently).

The 7kW charger will provide a full charge from empty in about 2.5 hours. Whereas the standard 3.6kW charger takes right around 4.5 hours.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Ripoff posted:

Edit: Apparently Chevy is offering 0% APR on 2018 models for up to 72 months. Jesus, they must be having trouble moving them.

Got a link? And do you know if it applies to the Bolt?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Bagheera posted:

Got a link? And do you know if it applies to the Bolt?

It’s on the local dealer’s website for me as well as small text when you build out a 2018 model Volt on Chevy’s website, right in the “financing” box on the summary page. I’m phone posting so I can’t screenshot it for you, I’m sorry. I actually talked to a dealer today about that - initially they told me that it was for 36 months only but a manager stopped by to say they now know it to be 72(!) months. Apparently this is a new thing introduced during the beginning of the month.

I’m waiting for a salesman callback to see what their pricing is, as the local dealer has their “special pricing” $1,500 over MSRP on a slow-moving car. Fuckin’ weird.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

stevewm posted:

The 2019's also get some additional goodies such as driver's side power seat, and updated infotainment system. (using the same software platform as the Bolt now apparently).

The 7kW charger will provide a full charge from empty in about 2.5 hours. Whereas the standard 3.6kW charger takes right around 4.5 hours.

I thought about it but my commute is 10 minutes and I'd rather save money by going used

Edit: By used I mean a 17 or 18. I can generally find them for ~22-24k

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 9, 2018

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks. I got back to a PC and found it:
https://www.chevrolet.com/current-deals

2018 Volt. 0% for 72 months
2019 Volt. 0% for 36 months
2018 and 2019 Bolt. 0% for 36 months

Nissan is giving better offers on the Leaf. 0% for 60 months on 2018 and 2019 models. 2 years free charging at EVGo chargers. And if you lease they give you a $7,500 rebate, effectively giving you the tax credit.

This weekend, I'm going to test drive a 2017 Bolt, a 2019 Bolt, and a 2018 Leaf. I'm leaning heavily toward the Leaf, as I can get a fully loaded top-end Leaf for less than a barebones base-model Bolt. And I don't need the extra range.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bagheera posted:

Thanks. I got back to a PC and found it:
https://www.chevrolet.com/current-deals

2018 Volt. 0% for 72 months
2019 Volt. 0% for 36 months
2018 and 2019 Bolt. 0% for 36 months

Nissan is giving better offers on the Leaf. 0% for 60 months on 2018 and 2019 models. 2 years free charging at EVGo chargers. And if you lease they give you a $7,500 rebate, effectively giving you the tax credit.

This weekend, I'm going to test drive a 2017 Bolt, a 2019 Bolt, and a 2018 Leaf. I'm leaning heavily toward the Leaf, as I can get a fully loaded top-end Leaf for less than a barebones base-model Bolt. And I don't need the extra range.

the 2018 leaf still has the air cooled battery

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ripoff posted:

I’m waiting for a salesman callback to see what their pricing is, as the local dealer has their “special pricing” $1,500 over MSRP on a slow-moving car. Fuckin’ weird.

GM dealers are market-insensitive scum who have ruined multiple low-production enthusiast and specialty vehicle launches with their market adjustment bullshit, while the car sits on the lot for months.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Qwijib0 posted:

the 2018 leaf still has the air cooled battery

The 2019 is also the same the long-range LG battery is not an option yet. Not sure if details are out on the battery yet. Other packs they sell are actively cooled. LG not Nissan.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 9, 2018

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The 2019 Bolt comes in a sexy green.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

GM dealers are market-insensitive scum who have ruined multiple low-production enthusiast and specialty vehicle launches with their market adjustment bullshit, while the car sits on the lot for months.

I got an email from the salesman at that dealer: they (of course, I’ve whined about this before) only wanted to talk payments and cited $485 a month at 72 months with an $8k trade-in and $1k cash down. Which means MSRP and roughly $1,700 in dealer fees. :stare:

Jesus Christ these idiots couldn’t sell a glass of water to someone dying of thirst, could they?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ripoff posted:

I got an email from the salesman at that dealer: they (of course, I’ve whined about this before) only wanted to talk payments and cited $485 a month at 72 months with an $8k trade-in and $1k cash down. Which means MSRP and roughly $1,700 in dealer fees. :stare:

Jesus Christ these idiots couldn’t sell a glass of water to someone dying of thirst, could they?

Your sales person probably has a whole 4 hours of training and doesn't understand anything about automotive economics.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ripoff posted:

They only want to sell Camaros, Silverados, and anything from the Buick Caddy GMC lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sasha Anis took a Model 3 to Global Time Attack in Enthusiast AWD class earlier this week only to be DQ'd by protest for not running on an approved fuel. The future is here, as they say.
Car was basically stock other than suspension and did a 59 at BW13CW.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 11, 2018