Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm NAS dumb, I know they can be Plex servers, can they run torrent programs for all of the free, legal torrents I have RSS feeds set up for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Atomizer posted:

WD My Cloud Pro PR2100 or PR4100; 2 or 4 bays, respectively, with a 48 or 90 W PSU (dual-PSU capable,) respectively. I just got one of the latter myself, and while I'm still exploring it, it looks like it'll be pretty fantastic for PMS; it should be able to hardware transcode (QuickSync) 3-4 FHD streams simultaneously.

The only main issue with the Shield was that it couldn't deal with large directories, i.e. individual folders with around 100 files or more, which is pretty ridiculous; as a result it just wouldn't "see" files beyond a certain point so it would look like some of your content was just missing. I'm not sure if that's still an issue but I'd hope they've fixed it by now!!!

How much noise and heat do these things generate? The way my media room is setup I may just need to set this on the bottom shelf or punch a hole in the wall and run cable to it in the storage room.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The issues with Plex server on the Shield are pretty much ironed out. The issue with large folders wasn't one I ran into, but it was fixed a while back. The issue with the server getting disconnected was because SMB shares were getting disconnected. That one was a pain and it was around in one form or another for about a year. I actually worked with their devs and sent them regular logs of the issue. Once that got resolved somehow my TV was still sending CEC commands to put the Shield to sleep and it was having trouble reconnecting. I disabled that and things improved for me to the point where it hasn't disconnected in about a year. I believe they fixed the result from sleep SMB issue, but I didn't want it going to sleep anyways.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I tried Plex years ago on a lovely Windows machine and recently installed PWS on my 1st gen Shield and I'm happy with performance. In the beginning I did have some performance issues but that turned out to be a HDD that was dying slowly.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex on Roku just had a major UI overhaul to bring it more in line with the Apple TV app. If you’re on the beta/preview channel it should show up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh interesting. My Plex sub is about to expire so I should get on that tonight.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Medullah posted:

I'm NAS dumb, I know they can be Plex servers, can they run torrent programs for all of the free, legal torrents I have RSS feeds set up for?

Yes, many NAS OSs have Bittorrent clients for all of your Linux ISOs. There's actually a fairly wide selection of apps available in the WD OS that I was playing around with, plus Docker support.

Bonzo posted:

How much noise and heat do these things generate? The way my media room is setup I may just need to set this on the bottom shelf or punch a hole in the wall and run cable to it in the storage room.

I thought somebody might ask so I did a little work on this last night after I posted. I hooked the PR4100 up to a KillAWatt meter and made some observations. First, the loudest the box gets is upon bootup, when the rear ~120 mm fan spins up to max, then it quiets down (to ~570 RPM according to the monitoring software.) After that, it's basically just as loud as the HDDs you have inside it (but muffled.) I do have a decibel meter but didn't use it, partially because I only have a single (older) HDD in there for testing purposes (I'm trying to determine whether or not to fill it with enterprise HDDs, maybe WD Golds) but also because the little noise it makes is pretty negligible in my opinion.

Next, the box uses ~30 W during the initial startup surge (again, this has a 90 W-rated PSU) and normally hovers around 17 W idle. I wanted to test power usage during a PMS transcode/stream, and while it worked before I've been having some issues that I couldn't continue to investigate because of how late it was. What seems to be at least part of the issue is that Plex itself gets a little wonky with both devices (the NAS and my primary, PC-based setup) running simultaneously (notably on the same network, and on the same Ethernet hub on top of that!) When I first started playing around with the NAS I had both servers running as expected (and it's totally by design that you can have multiple PMS instances connected to your account,) but then one loses connection to Plex's service, and I haven't yet figured out if this is a network issue or something like that. So when I have more time I'll investigate further, but those power/noise determinations should get you started.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FCKGW posted:

Plex on Roku just had a major UI overhaul to bring it more in line with the Apple TV app. If you’re on the beta/preview channel it should show up.

Roku Plex has always worked really well for me, but I also have the Roku Ultra in the last (or current?) gen specifically because I wanted the best possible streaming and that one also had some better remote options, a USB port to direct stream off of thumb drives, and could do 4K streaming.

Totally worth it, even if the goon trend is to rag on Roku and call it poo poo... for way less than the Shield (I got it for $100 like 1.25 years ago) it handles everything just fine and I've never had an issue, and more importantly my non-tech savvy wife has been able to use it without a problem because the remote is self explanatory, as is the UI.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I only have the current gen Xpress, but for $30 or whatever it cost me it makes a perfectly good bedroom client for sure. Combined with the fact it's the only platform with the Xfinity app makes it the best choice for me (as well as being able to power off the TVs USB which my spare Apple TV can't do).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Everything about Apple TV is awful to me, hence I went with the Roku. Zero regrets. (iTunes is garbage)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don’t use iTunes for a single thing on my Apple TV

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Broke: video game console wars
Woke: Plex client console wars

E Roku is fine as long as you don't need directv now because holy hell its really really bad on Roku. But that's not really Rokus fault.

Personally I use and like aTV4ks because I'm heavily in the apple ecosystem and use Apple Music and HomeKit. It works for me and it's also really good hardware.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 13, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Broke: video game console wars
Woke: Plex client console wars

E Roku is fine as long as you don't need directv now because holy hell its really really bad on Roku. But that's not really Rokus fault.

Personally I use and like aTV4ks because I'm heavily in the apple ecosystem and use Apple Music and HomeKit. It works for me and it's also really good hardware.

We use DTV Now. They fixed the client about 8 months ago and it's been fine.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Fuzz posted:

We use DTV Now. They fixed the client about 8 months ago and it's been fine.

It's dog poo poo slow compared to Apple TV. I was literally using it on an ultra 2 months ago.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DTVNow is infinitely better on the Apple TV and Fire TV 4K compared to Roku. Rokus are perfectly fine Plex clients. Don't know if anyone rags on them in this thread. I even recommend them in the OP.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like my ATV mainly for the fact that anything that has a unique app made for it (usually sports things), it’s pretty much guaranteed to be better than the competition. Also iPhone/Mac user so works with all my devices just that little bit better.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I legit don’t care about who uses what, I just wanted to be clear that iTunes is a non factor for Apple TV. I’m happy they don’t make you use it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I use my Nvidia shield as a Plex server and client with PlexKodiConnect.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
DTVNOW is good on roku now. They really improved it leaps and bounds in the last few months, especially when compared to their awful 2.0 launch.

Firetv or Apple tv are still faster to load or change channels though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having a weird issue where all the episodes of Hotel Hell I have will glitch about 20x times through the episode, all only for only 1-4 seconds. These are the only files I have issue with. They play fine on the Plex desktop client, but glitch when streaming. Are they just encoded weirdly or something?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Have you seen whether one of the ways you’re watching it is being transcoded while the other is being direct streamed? I’m gonna guess they all come from the same encoder whose doing something a bit weird, and either a transcode or direct stream is able to deal with it but the other is not. Happens sometimes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Walrus posted:

I'm having a weird issue where all the episodes of Hotel Hell

I am really disappointed as the first time across I read this as "Motel Hell" which is a high quality movie I suggest everyone watch. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081184/

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I am really disappointed as the first time across I read this as "Motel Hell" which is a high quality movie I suggest everyone watch. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081184/

you and me both. as for the op, Plex is doing you a favor by not playing that television programme.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

For those who have both a Shield and ATV4, things you like about the ATV4?

I have the chance to snag an ATV4 for $95 and even though I don't need it, I guess? Just because it looks smooth?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A 4 or a 4K? It’s possible to get a 4K for barely more than that through directvnow if they still have that promo running.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My PlexPass expired as I guess I used a card on the site that no longer works or something. I think I'm gonna sit here and wait until something I use Plex for no longer operates. This could take a while...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

My PlexPass expired as I guess I used a card on the site that no longer works or something. I think I'm gonna sit here and wait until something I use Plex for no longer operates. This could take a while...

I just got an email the other day with a coupon code for lifetime for only $75, the original price, so I jumped on it. Check your email.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'm kinda expecting an email along that line at some point, but even if it comes - if I don't miss any features and don't really care for the direction the software is heading in... is it really worth spending $75 on? We'll see. Been a PlexPass user for about 3 years and overall user for a fair bit long, maybe 7 or 8 years? Always felt like the paid elements were equally split between me not caring much about them, or not working that well. Given the amount of people who run Plex boxes for profit, they should probably move more things over from the free tier.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

stevewm posted:

Hmm... the latest server update seems to have finally allowed hardware transcoding to work on my old Core i3-3450 Plex server. Prior to this last update, checking the hardware transcoding box did nothing. Now it actually shows "(hw)" next to the now playing status if a stream is transcoding.

Before transcoding a h.265 video to h.264 for a older Roku client caused 80% CPU usage. Now it sits around 40% for about 30 seconds or so then drops and stays around 6%.

i’m not surprised it took a while. supporting the ivy bridge chipsets requires using a totally separate version of the Intel SDK so it’s kind of a pita to build software against both

you’re getting an h.265 software decode + an h.264 hardware encode, there was no h.265 support in desktop chips until Sandy Bridge

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dren posted:

i’m not surprised it took a while. supporting the ivy bridge chipsets requires using a totally separate version of the Intel SDK so it’s kind of a pita to build software against both

you’re getting an h.265 software decode + an h.264 hardware encode, there was no h.265 support in desktop chips until Sandy Bridge

I'm guessing this is a Plex pass only feature?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Moey posted:

I'm guessing this is a Plex pass only feature?

I think this is correct, hardware transcoding (QuickSync/NVENC) is still PlexPass (outside of the devices like the WD MyCloud and nVidia Shield that require it.)

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
So with this new deal for the plex pass, is it worth it?

Is lifetime guaranteed lifetime for example? I got recently bummed out by, for instance, Evernote changing their subscription plans.

Also, is Plex likely to evolve into a good direction?
Just looking into insight for a lifetime-type deal such as this

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Kalenden posted:

So with this new deal for the plex pass, is it worth it?

Is lifetime guaranteed lifetime for example? I got recently bummed out by, for instance, Evernote changing their subscription plans.

Also, is Plex likely to evolve into a good direction?
Just looking into insight for a lifetime-type deal such as this

I bought Plex lifetime back in 2015 and have more than gotten my monies worth. They've been good about moving the platform forward and adding features and I don't see that changing anytime soon for the enthusiast market.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Maneki Neko posted:

I bought Plex lifetime back in 2015 and have more than gotten my monies worth. They've been good about moving the platform forward and adding features and I don't see that changing anytime soon for the enthusiast market.

past performance is not an indicator of future outcomes

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

r0ck0 posted:

past performance is not an indicator of future outcomes

what a dumb post

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I thought I was reading the long term investing thread.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Maneki Neko posted:

I agree, I've had it since about 2013, bought for $75 and worth EVERY penny.

Look, if you must, look at what it gives now and how long you think it would last even if they did turn on their own userbase and start charging above and beyond. Is that worth $75? I assessed that even if I only had a couple of years of service before I moved to something I liked more I'd be happy. It's worked out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have no problem paying for software that has proven itself for years. People need to eat and I’ve gotten more use out of Plex than any other software I’ve purchased other than an operating system.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

sellouts posted:

I have no problem paying for software that has proven itself for years. People need to eat and I’ve gotten more use out of Plex than any other software I’ve purchased other than an operating system.

Same. I don't even use the Plex pass features other than getting the latest server builds. I paid the $75 really just to support the devs (and to get rid of the 'go premium' link).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Plex even let's you stream VR experience videos to PS4. That's awesome.

Totally worth it.