Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Not a lot of teams giving out big, long contracts to pitchers over 30.
The following pitchers signed bigger/longer deals starting at age 30 or later:

Price - 7yrs/$217M
Scherzer - 7yrs/$210M
Greinke - 6yrs/$206.5M
Verlander - 7yrs/$180M
Sabathia - 5yrs/$122M
Lester - 6yrs/$155M
Cueto - 6yrs/$130M
Darvish - 6yrs/$126M
Cliff Lee - 5yrs/$120M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I get that it's a lot of money. But Clayton Kershaw is ridiculously good, I could see him getting 5/150 fairly easy. I do not see him getting 2/60 3 years from now.

Maybe he really really wants to stay in LA, but I feel like his agent should have pushed for more years. Even going to the FA market he could have tested the waters and still signed with the Dodgers for the same deal but likely could have pushed for more if he had other offers.

Popete fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 2, 2018

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kershaw is yet another example of this phenomena at work. Justin Turner's deal also qualifies.

https://twitter.com/ChadMoriyama/status/1058460164313964544

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Kershaw is yet another example of this phenomena at work. Justin Turner's deal also qualifies.

https://twitter.com/ChadMoriyama/status/1058460164313964544

I was unaware that people thought nobody likes playing for LA.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
That's nuts. I thought for sure we would be looking at 5+ years. Super reasonable.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You gotta add up the total compensation. A month off in October has got to be worth something.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I was unaware that people thought nobody likes playing for LA.
By "people" Chad means LA sports talk radio callers and their ilk. There is a large, loud, ignorant contingent of fans who cry and scream every time the team loses on October that the FO/management/etc are ruining a great team and alienating players.

SAS is aware of how awful Bill Plaschke is. Now realize he's probably the most read Dodgers columnist.

edit: also this is cool and good https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1058464483780243458

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 2, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Price - 7yrs/$217M
Scherzer - 7yrs/$210M
Greinke - 6yrs/$206.5M
Verlander - 7yrs/$180M
Sabathia - 5yrs/$122M
Lester - 6yrs/$155M
Cueto - 6yrs/$130M
Darvish - 6yrs/$126M
Cliff Lee - 5yrs/$120M

This is what I'm talking about, how did Kershaw not get at the very least a similar deal as all these guys? I really think he could have gotten 5/150 or even 6/170.

I feel like I'm missing something that most people seem to think this was a good deal for Kershaw.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

By "people" Chad means LA sports talk radio callers and their ilk. There is a large, loud, ignorant contingent of fans who cry and scream every time the team loses on October that the FO/management/etc are ruining a great team and alienating players.

SAS is aware of how awful Bill Plaschke is. Now realize he's probably the most read Dodgers columnist.

Oh, that makes more sense.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just think of the legions of New Yorkers who listened to Mike Francesa religiously, and translate that to LA. Same thing really.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Just think of the legions of New Yorkers who listened to Mike Francesa religiously, and translate that to LA. Same thing really.

Why would you put that in the past tense?! He's still on the air! :shepicide:

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Re: Cleveland

I am sure that they get floated trade proposals for the rotation all the time. They’ll listen and reject anything they don’t feel works. This is getting a lot of traction because it’s early and they have a lot of good pieces for teams to dream about.

Honestly, I bet if the Yankees came back and offered Frazier+ one or two mid level prospects for Kluber they’d think long and hard about it. Same thing for Dodgers and Verdugo+, or Gallo+

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

edit: also this is cool and good https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1058464483780243458

I couldn't get through his column today. I mean, there are a few legitimate bones to pick with the FO this year (well, mostly one, being the bullpen), but aside from that, any sort of serious beef with them is controversy manufacturing at its most obvious and dumb.

Good to hear about Ryu and the QO. I would be kind of crushed if he left...

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Price - 7yrs/$217M
Scherzer - 7yrs/$210M
Greinke - 6yrs/$206.5M
Verlander - 7yrs/$180M
Sabathia - 5yrs/$122M
Lester - 6yrs/$155M
Cueto - 6yrs/$130M
Darvish - 6yrs/$126M
Cliff Lee - 5yrs/$120M

I'm talking last couple years. Darvish is the only one and that's looked like a disaster. Arrieta and Cobb got less than people expected. I just don't think we're going to see these 6-7 year deals much anymore for older pitchers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Honestly, I bet if the Yankees came back and offered Frazier+ one or two mid level prospects for Kluber they’d think long and hard about it. Same thing for Dodgers and Verdugo+, or Gallo+

I don't know how much value Frazier has right now. He incurred a brain injury in Spring Training and it pretty much kept him off the field for an entire season.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

I am sure that they get floated trade proposals for the rotation all the time. They’ll listen and reject anything they don’t feel works. This is getting a lot of traction because it’s early and they have a lot of good pieces for teams to dream about.

I'd trade Verdugo + lesser guys for Kluber in an instant.

Details of Kershaw's deal are extremely on brand for this FO
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1058463814142824448

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Verdugo+ for Kluber would make a lot of sense, though I still want to see what kind of player he becomes with everyday at bats.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't know how much value Frazier has right now. He incurred a brain injury in Spring Training and it pretty much kept him off the field for an entire season.
Concussions :( oh Clint if you had never left you would have never tripped and you would be crushing bombs in the Cleve.

I assume any deal for a rotation piece would require an MLB ready outfielder since the outfield was a tire fire.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Athletic is reporting that the Cubs are unlikely to make a big splash this offseason. Concerns over money I guess.

Is there a chance the Phillies could nab Harper and Machado? I don't know what their owner is like but they seem to have a lot of space if they wanted to make a huge run.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

I'd trade Verdugo + lesser guys for Kluber in an instant.

Details of Kershaw's deal are extremely on brand for this FO
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1058463814142824448

He legit took an AAV paycut to get one more year guaranteed. What on Earth. I hate my dumb team.

He's had 28+ starts once since 2014 and that was 2015 with 33. He also *only* has one cy young in that time period.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 2, 2018

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Slothass posted:

I think he sees the writing in the wall with his ability this year. Use these three years to try to get a ring then retire.

What part of this involves staying on the Dodgers

Inspector_666 posted:

Why would you put that in the past tense?! He's still on the air! :shepicide:

And apparently has a $9 a month app for periodic subscriber only shows that he's very defensive about when people question the number of subscribers

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Niwrad posted:

The Athletic is reporting that the Cubs are unlikely to make a big splash this offseason. Concerns over money I guess.

Is there a chance the Phillies could nab Harper and Machado? I don't know what their owner is like but they seem to have a lot of space if they wanted to make a huge run.

Has Harper made any noise about where he’d prefer to end up or is he pretty much fine with whoever offers the best deal?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Has Harper made any noise about where he’d prefer to end up or is he pretty much fine with whoever offers the best deal?

He's worn shirts/hats of Chicago teams for a couple of photos (Bulls/Blackhawks), but I'm pretty sure the only quotes he's made on record are about how much he likes being in DC.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Harper to the Blackhawks confirmed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

poo poo, dude's already got the hair for hockey.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh yeah

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Niwrad posted:

If Middleton was the GM, he would sign both guys to a blank check in a heartbeat

Actual GM Klentak might not agree

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Inspector_666 posted:

still missing something

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

He can't be worse at defense than Brandon Manning

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1058476106746155009?s=21

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Also, pirates hired Rick Eckstein as the batting coach.

I don’t know much about him, he is David’s brother

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/astros/status/1058478879558565889?s=20

Somehow I doubt Herrmann is the big catching get they said they were going after

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I guess HitTrackerOnline is dead now. Are there any other sites that let you overlay different parks onto a player's home runs? I was trying to see Bryce's dingers overlaid with AT&T for... reasons

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

bawfuls posted:

Price - 7yrs/$217M
Scherzer - 7yrs/$210M
Greinke - 6yrs/$206.5M
Verlander - 7yrs/$180M
Sabathia - 5yrs/$122M
Lester - 6yrs/$155M
Cueto - 6yrs/$130M
Darvish - 6yrs/$126M
Cliff Lee - 5yrs/$120M

I thought the Scherzer, Verlander, Sabathia and Grienke deals were worth it. The rest were a crapshoot and definitely too long. Higher average per year with less years will start to be the norm.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

On why Kershaw didn't seek a longer deal:

https://twitter.com/jphoornstra/status/1058496060857843712
As odd as that sounds, it is consistent with what he's said in the past. When he signed his 7 year extension with the current opt out, the Dodgers initially offered him $300M over 15 years but he expressed the same concern about not living up to such a long deal.

Maximizing dollars does not appear to be at the top of his priority list. But crushing the haters sure is.

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1058495115767963648

Kershaw likes being a Dodger, big surprise.

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1058494646567895040

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 3, 2018

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

bawfuls posted:

On why Kershaw didn't seek a longer deal:

https://twitter.com/jphoornstra/status/1058496060857843712
As odd as that sounds, it is consistent with what he's said in the past. When he signed his 7 year extension with the current opt out, the Dodgers initially offered him $300M over 15 years but he expressed the same concern about not living up to such a long deal.

Maximizing dollars does not appear to be at the top of his priority list. But crushing the haters sure is.

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1058495115767963648

Kershaw likes being a Dodger, big surprise.

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1058494646567895040

I mean....lmao but I guess you can be like that when you’re gonna pull $300 million+ during your baseball career.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Also this is definitive proof that California is better than Texas.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Confirmed, Kershaw is upside down on his house and can’t sell it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Pussy Boss posted:

I guess HitTrackerOnline is dead now. Are there any other sites that let you overlay different parks onto a player's home runs? I was trying to see Bryce's dingers overlaid with AT&T for... reasons

HTO died at the beginning of the season. The guy running it took a new job (I want to say a stats job with a team but I don't remember for sure) and didn't have the time for maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
"I want to prove all the haters wrong who say I'm in decline, but I also don't think I can pitch beyond 3 years."

:thunk: