Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That absolutely looked deliberate. I wonder if he had announced his intentions and the woman was attacking him to try to stop him.

quote:

Police said the passenger, identified as a 48-year-old woman with the surname Liu, was angry that the bus had missed her stop.
They said she hit the driver, named Ran, with her mobile phone when he refused to stop and let her off.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-46068412

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have questions

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno if it's been mentioned and it's fairly apparent from the video, but everyone on that bus died :(

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PremiumSupport posted:

While I generally agree with this opinion, camera enforcement is not a solution. From 7 pages back:

If that bus had been equipped with camera enforcement I would have been in court having to try to get a judge to throw out a ticket and probably re-instate my license.
As I said earlier I'm not a fan of camera enforcement in general because of how it's often abused, but this is already a solved problem. Basically 100% of red light cameras take multiple photos and/or record video in order to prove the offense wasn't just a false triggering and in some cases attempt to prove who was driving. As long as those are required for a ticket to be issued (and if it's not it'd be trivial to challenge) this shouldn't be a meaningful concern.

I wonder if it would have been better or worse if the bus had hit one of the cables instead of going between them.

At least part of the bus probably would have stayed on the bridge in that case, but whether the bridge itself remained intact would seem to be a question at that point.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 2, 2018

Weirdoman
Jun 12, 2001

I was walking down the street when I saw a bovus. And then it hit me...I was hit by a bovus.
If that cable was Made in China then I think you probably know the answer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

wolrah posted:

As I said earlier I'm not a fan of camera enforcement in general because of how it's often abused, but this is already a solved problem. Basically 100% of red light cameras take multiple photos and/or record video in order to prove the offense wasn't just a false triggering and in some cases attempt to prove who was driving. As long as those are required for a ticket to be issued (and if it's not it'd be trivial to challenge) this shouldn't be a meaningful concern.

Or you could have a system where you can't extend the bus's stop sign unless the bus in in park, since it shouldn't be moving with the stop sign activated.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I wonder if yellow light times have ever been shortened in order to increase red light camera revenue?

As far as school buses go, oh no, that must be so horrible to have to wait for children to get on and off a bus occasionally. It could take literally minutes out of your day, and school bus routes and schedules are completely unpredictable so there's no way to avoid it. Like, you'll just be out on a sunday morning and bam it's school bus after school bus and now you're late for church.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

Or you could have a system where you can't extend the bus's stop sign unless the bus in in park, since it shouldn't be moving with the stop sign activated.

Well yeah, that too, but I had assumed that was just how they worked until PremiumSupport's post.

I was a weird kid and liked to sit in the front of the bus watching the driver operate their various controls. At least on the buses I rode 20 years ago (a mix of early '90s Thomas Builts and older Blue Birds) the driver didn't actually activate the stop signals themselves. They triggered the yellow lights and it automatically switched to red when they opened the door, then shut off when the door was closed. It would not be possible to drive with the reds going and the sign extended as far as I could tell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jamal posted:

I wonder if yellow light times have ever been shortened in order to increase red light camera revenue?

Sort of. There was a case a handful of years ago where some guy sat an intersection timing yellow lights and proved that they were not consistent with guidelines (NHTSA I believe but I could be wrong on that). Like a 45 mph road is supposed to show yellow for X amount of time, and intersection with a red light camera had X-2 or whatever.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

jamal posted:

Yes, repeatedly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jamal posted:

As far as school buses go, oh no, that must be so horrible to have to wait for children to get on and off a bus occasionally. It could take literally minutes out of your day, and school bus routes and schedules are completely unpredictable so there's no way to avoid it. Like, you'll just be out on a sunday morning and bam it's school bus after school bus and now you're late for church.

You could say that about people driving slow in the overtaking lane too, that doesn't mean it's courteous behaviour consistent with maintaining road safety. If people have to follow a school bus for a long while, and it's stopping frequently without giving traffic behind an opportunity to pass, it's not a good situation, and it's easily resolved by the bus remaining stopped without the lights activated, just briefly, to allow traffic behind to overtake.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PT6A posted:

You could say that about people driving slow in the overtaking lane too, that doesn't mean it's courteous behaviour consistent with maintaining road safety. If people have to follow a school bus for a long while, and it's stopping frequently without giving traffic behind an opportunity to pass, it's not a good situation, and it's easily resolved by the bus remaining stopped without the lights activated, just briefly, to allow traffic behind to overtake.
Chill out, speedy. Leave a few minutes earlier before the buses come.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cage posted:

Chill out, speedy. Leave a few minutes earlier before the buses come.

This is the wrong take. It doesn't actually solve the situation unless you expect no one to be on the road at the same time as busses.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Bumping back school hours to avoid the rest of the commuter rush hours would actually be a tremendously positive change for this and other reasons tbh

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

um excuse me posted:

This is the wrong take. It doesn't actually solve the situation unless you expect no one to be on the road at the same time as busses.
They can all leave a few minutes earlier.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

um excuse me posted:

Let's build 20,000 extra miles of sidewalk so kids can walk to the bus stop

No, unironically, let's do it, it'll be a good jobs program and make communities more liveable

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All road improvement projects should include sidewalks and bike lanes in their plans. :colbert:

Gotta love when you drive down a road and there's a worn footpath in the grass alongside it. Way to loving go, idiots.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Not having kids would solve so many problems.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Especially the genetic ones

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No kids would solve literally every problem humans have inflicted on this planet so I say we try it. I think we've proven we're not good custodians so let the crows or the dolphins have a go, whichever develops thumbs first.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

We’re just a few posts away from a good goon derail about eugenics, keep going!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Devor posted:

Let's build 20,000 extra miles of sidewalk so kids can walk to the bus stop

No, unironically, let's do it, it'll be a good jobs program and make communities more liveable

They frequently don’t permit kids to walk to the bus stop anymore, sidewalks or no. They frequently don’t permit kids to walk to school anymore, sidewalks or no, or ride bikes, no matter how close they live.

The actual risk involved has nothing to do with it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I've heard they won't drop kids off unless their parent is present at the stop anymore, thus defeating most of the purpose of having buses, ie "parents have loving jobs"

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
In my neighborhood there is a woman who lives 2 houses from the bus stop and she still ferries her kid to the bus in a minivan. She also parks in front of the median blocking your view of incoming traffic until the bus leaves.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The small city I just moved from had a minor small-town scandal last year when a school bus was stopped on the main drag, stop sign out, for almost an hour because an autistic child refused to disembark. Stopped cars started honking at it which only triggered the kid further.

The bus drivers I had were all a little weird and not quite right. It takes an unusual combination of caution and aggression to drive a bus in city traffic.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
my K-6 bus driver was a nice old man. drunk but nice. one day he turned way too soon into a side street and side swiped a stop sign but kept going so as he went forward the stop sign blew out every window on the side of the bus. it was awesome. we all hooted and hollered. that was the last day i ever saw that nice old man and our next driver was a mean old lady who made us do things like Sit Down.

ugh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

We’re just a few posts away from a good goon derail about eugenics, keep going!

No, kill everyone. The earth must become a cold lifeless rock so when the planet is discovered by aliens in a billion years they can stare in wonder at our ruins.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
plz kill everyone who doesn't drive exactly like me tia

and their families double tia

there, i fixed driving

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Javid posted:

I've heard they won't drop kids off unless their parent is present at the stop anymore, thus defeating most of the purpose of having buses, ie "parents have loving jobs"

At least where I live this is untrue. My kids ride a van home and the lady drops them off right in the driveway. My kids have a key to the house because we are rarely ever home before them and it’s no big deal. The driver knows about this arrangement.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
As a UK goon, this recent topic just makes me think you lot over there are absolutely bonkers. Here, if it's too far to walk and your parents are busy/just don't want to deal with school traffic, you just get the regular public transport buses. The closest I could get to my school from my house via public buses was still over a mile away, it's not uncommon :shrug: Sometimes I'd pocket the bus money my parents gave me and walk home.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Your scenario diverged from american reality at "regular public transport".

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ArcticZombie posted:

As a UK goon, this recent topic just makes me think you lot over there are absolutely bonkers. Here, if it's too far to walk and your parents are busy/just don't want to deal with school traffic, you just get the regular public transport buses. The closest I could get to my school from my house via public buses was still over a mile away, it's not uncommon :shrug: Sometimes I'd pocket the bus money my parents gave me and walk home.

Not representative of everyone in the US, but a lot of schools near me don't just let students leave unless they know they're getting on the bus or have a ride home up till high school

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Share the road with trams, and by "share the road" I mean "drive like an idiot and get smashed by them..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uLpgrcLOZM

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They put tram lines in downtown Milwaukee. Naturally all the suburban white people are up in arms about it, and no less than three people decided to cross the tracks on cycles (motor and bicycles) at an angle that got their tires caught.

Despite A. you're taught not to do that in the motorcycle courses, and B. there's signs all over the drat place. Naturally the idiots are suing.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

iospace posted:

They put tram lines in downtown Milwaukee. Naturally all the suburban white people are up in arms about it, and no less than three people decided to cross the tracks on cycles (motor and bicycles) at an angle that got their tires caught.

Despite A. you're taught not to do that in the motorcycle courses, and B. there's signs all over the drat place. Naturally the idiots are suing.

I literally design railroad crossings for a living - that's my job. The concrete or rubber material installed on top of the track so you've got a smooth surface to walk and drive over, that's what we do. We've been approached dozens of times to come up with a solution for bicycles going across train tracks, and each time the best and most affordable solution is bicyclist education.

https://youtu.be/YfeQvbIFBks

There is no material solution for this bike path/train track. You can kick the bike path over with a jug handle turn so it intersects closer to 90 degrees, (seen at 3:00) but lots of bikers still avoid it to keep their speed up. The track bites them for it every time.

Sure, there could be some sort of filler bolted down in the grooves (flangeways) by the rail for the railcar flanges, but I'm up against railroad design standards to keep them clear minimum 2.5" wide and 2" deep. The US ADAAG 2010 allows for flangeways at track crossings to be maximum 2.5" wide, so our A.D.A. crossings will have the gap set at 2.5".

Anything permanent put down in the flangeways to block them out will either get ripped up in short order, or have the possibility of derailing a train car. You could design some sort of hydraulics activating movable flaps for every train that rolls through, but you'd need so much extra hardware, software, signaling and maintenance, that it would soon cost more than installing a flyover bridge.

(which is honestly the best option, but puts me out of work)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

This has probably been tried but I'm imagining a hard rubber piece in that spot that bikes can ride over but that train wheels can squish aside without issue. Even a reasonably frequent interval for having to unbolt and replace them would probably be cheaper than a bridge, and easier than trying to defeat human path-seeking behavior.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Can we put a bike ramp and a scoreboard next to the track crossing?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Javid posted:

This has probably been tried but I'm imagining a hard rubber piece in that spot that bikes can ride over but that train wheels can squish aside without issue. Even a reasonably frequent interval for having to unbolt and replace them would probably be cheaper than a bridge, and easier than trying to defeat human path-seeking behavior.

I'm no engineer, but I can't think of anything that could deform enough to not mess with the train wheels, be resilient enough to deal with the pressure and wear of hundreds of tons of steel wheels passing over it every hour, return to its original shape after the train passes, survive the elements for any significant period of time, and also be cheap enough to use on multiple tracks per crossing. Especially since it's just to accommodate morons who are too dumb to read the signs that directly instruct them how to not destroy their bikes

I've lived next to train tracks my entire life, and there are 2 sets of fences around the tracks now to cut down on train related deaths. People kept walking across tracks that regularly have trains moving faster than 40mph, or climbing between the cars of a stopped train, because they were too lazy to actually cross at a railroad crossing. There's no saving morons from themselves because there are still a couple deaths a year from people jumping 2 fences and walking on the tracks

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You don't need a full bridge, you just need a sick BMX jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

xzzy posted:

All road improvement projects should include sidewalks and bike lanes in their plans. :colbert:

Gotta love when you drive down a road and there's a worn footpath in the grass alongside it. Way to loving go, idiots.

Massachusetts has started doing this. The state will grant towns money to do road improvement as long as they widen and add sidewalks. Naturally the people who own homes along those roads get all huffy about 10 feet of their lawns being ripped up to add sidewalks but usually lose out because it is a situation where the state will grant like 90% of the money to do the project or the town will have to foot the bill to do it without sidewalks and the tax increase usually entices the people to give up the lawn.