Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jodie's coat is making me wish I was a lady so I could attempt to pull something like that off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The_Doctor posted:

I liked it more than last week’s, definitely. It did have an ending, so automatically it’s more of a complete story. Robot dude felt like something from some cheap CITV kids show.

I'm honestly shocked he didn't get eaten

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is "the great Earth hero Avocado Pit" supposed to mean something?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

What do your hearts tell you?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cojawfee posted:

In the 67th Century, people's knowledge of ancient Earth Culture is well-intentioned but factually inaccurate. Kind of like somebody going out and getting a Chinese tattoo they think says "Courage" but actually says,"Snoopy's Balls"

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Cojawfee posted:

If Moffat were still running the show I would assume Ryan or Graham end up doing something in a future episode, and giving that as a fake name. Moffat sured loved time loops.

Am I crazy for considering this my favorite episode of the season? It was fun, had good production design, was the most coherently structured episode Chibnall has written in his tenure, and it properly ended. Thia time the enemy not being destroyed made sense, as it was set up as xenomorph-level durable. Also I appreciate the Doctor solving the twin problems by using one to fix the other. The solution was pretty obvious, but satisfying nonetheless.

Also the Doctor felt the most Doctor-ish she has so far, while also making her specific idiosyncrasies more obvious. The antimatter speech seems uniquely Thirteen.

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan

Carbon dioxide posted:

But to compare this speech to a Moffat era episode, in a Moffat episode, the Doctor would've just thrown in one or two lines of very obvious technobabble with the companions looking confused and that would be it. Instead of obvious technobabble, Chibnall tries to explain what's going on in a way that *sounds* real (using real science terminology instead of "artron energy" or "reversing the polarity of the neutron flow" ) but getting it *just* wrong. It brings the scene right into a sort of uncanny valley between realism and obvious fantasy, where my suspension of disbelief gets broken and I get very annoyed. The same thing happened last week in the spiders episode. I think less exposition would help prevent this.

I thought the explanation of how it worked was pretty cool, it explained how antimatter is made and contained fairly well (like at CERN!), it mentioned positrons which are proper antiparticles, and it explained how it reacts with an unspecified (and presumably magical) "fuel materials" to make heat that propels the ship, presumably very slowly. It crash landed after that with the editor cutting to her hand gestures and tight up on her face as she strains to convey how poetic it is, then resorts to "I love it! :downs:"

It did feel hammered into the middle of that scene, though, with everyone else just sort of hanging out in the background while Yaz needs to be simultaneously smart enough to know what CERN is but too dumb to know what technological progress is, so that the Doctor can say perplexing poo poo like "this is like the iPhone version of CERN" and give us all a physics lesson.

I could do this all night but it seems unfair. I'm just kind of sad that they can pour so much into such a good looking, sounding and well acted show and settle for this kind of dialogue.

Spatula City posted:

Am I crazy for considering this my favorite episode of the season?
No, I'm pretty much with you. I think the first episode might be better, though, I'd have to watch it again.

dsub fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 5, 2018

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

It's a fruit.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Jodie's coat is making me wish I was a lady so I could attempt to pull something like that off.

Do what female cosplayers have been doing for years.
Genderbent cosplay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Get swole as gently caress and use it as a workout hoodie. Also because of the high cuffs on the pants you can't get away with skipping leg day!

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

It ain't even that feminine; just colourful.

There *are* worse options for colourful.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Spatula City posted:

Am I crazy for considering this my favorite episode of the season? It was fun, had good production design, was the most coherently structured episode Chibnall has written in his tenure, and it properly ended. Thia time the enemy not being destroyed made sense, as it was set up as xenomorph-level durable. Also I appreciate the Doctor solving the twin problems by using one to fix the other. The solution was pretty obvious, but satisfying nonetheless.

Also the Doctor felt the most Doctor-ish she has so far, while also making her specific idiosyncrasies more obvious. The antimatter speech seems uniquely Thirteen.

Honestly, I'm right there with you. For emotional weight, nothing this season is even operating on the same plane as Rosa, but as a fun space adventure (and, I think, explicitly a fun space adventure for a family audience) this was excellent, clunky exposition from time to time aside.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

It ain't even that feminine; just colourful.

There *are* worse options for colourful.

I know what you're implying and you can shut your wrong rear end mouth about that coat.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.

docbeard posted:

Honestly, I'm right there with you. For emotional weight, nothing this season is even operating on the same plane as Rosa, but as a fun space adventure (and, I think, explicitly a fun space adventure for a family audience) this was excellent, clunky exposition from time to time aside.

Same here. I found it thoroughly charming from start to finish.

I also really liked how this episode positioned the character of the Doctor. Knowledgeable, but not all knowing (having to find out what the gremlin was). Inspiring, but capable of going down the wrong path (the bit with the chief medic at the start). And well-known, but not immediately recognised as some messianic figure. Each show runner has had their own approach, but I'm really liking what Chibnall's been doing with the character so far. Of course Whittaker being excellent helps seal the deal.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Hey guys, it’s midterm elections here in America, but I didn’t want to forget you guys across the pond with some results…

- Engelbert Humperdinck gains Barrow in Furness from Ann Haydon-Jones and her husband Pip.
- Arthur Negus has held Bristols. That's not a result, that's a bit of gossip.
- Mary Whitehouse taking Umbrage.
- Wales isn't swinging at all.

Sadly, I'm three episodes behind - due to the kiddo slacking off at school we grounded her by taking away all her electronics and TV, which included watching Doctor Who on Family Night. Thankfully she's ending the quarter today with straight A's, so we'll have FOUR episodes to watch this weekend.

Four episodes in one day. It'll be like watching a DVD from the Peter Davison era!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It feels weird we’re already half way through the season. :sigh:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the longer episodes are nice, but man, we’ll be without new Whittaker for a while after this. And that makes me sad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What is with the insistence on not doing multi-part episodes in recent seasons? I think in this particular case it could solve a lot of the problems of the storytelling feeling shallow, and it would also save on budget probably. In my mind it's weird to abandon the long form narrative structure that basically defined the show for decades - like you don't have to do it often, but I think the show loses something when every single episode is a one and done affair.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hakkesshu posted:

What is with the insistence on not doing multi-part episodes in recent seasons? I think in this particular case it could solve a lot of the problems of the storytelling feeling shallow, and it would also save on budget probably. In my mind it's weird to abandon the long form narrative structure that basically defined the show for decades - like you don't have to do it often, but I think the show loses something when every single episode is a one and done affair.

I guess it's an attempt to tell as many stories as you can?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hakkesshu posted:

What is with the insistence on not doing multi-part episodes in recent seasons?
Seasons 8 had a two-parter, season 9 was mostly two-parters or linked episodes, and season 10 had the Monk episodes and then the Cyberman two-parter.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Seasons 8 had a two-parter, season 9 was mostly two-parters or linked episodes, and season 10 had the Monk episodes and then the Cyberman two-parter.

This is, I think, the only season of the revival that doesn't have any multi-part episodes.

Or wait, I guess season 7 doesn't.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I suppose I'm talking less about stories that tie into the main season arc and more like actual explorations of a sci-fi concept that's too large to contain in one episode such as The Rebel Flesh/Almost People. Maybe it's not an important distinction, and the cyberman two-parter from last season probably counts anyway, so I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Just feels like that's the exact thing this season needs.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Part of me wants Avocado Pit to meet Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Another thinks this baby will grow up to be Krasko

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1059838119506313216

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

In my mind it's weird to abandon the long form narrative structure that basically defined the show for decades - like you don't have to do it often, but I think the show loses something when every single episode is a one and done affair.

There's a reason that in days of yore, Doctor Who fans used to talk very earnestly about Part Three Syndrome; in which a story which has been rattling along very nicely for 50 minutes and will be done in about 75 comes to a screeching halt in Part Three, while everyone runs up and down corridors and escapes and gets recaptured and nothing of importance happens, because your nice little 75-minute story has to be on air for 90 minutes. 90 minutes is a *lot* of time, that's feature-film length (or at least it used to be before running time inflation went mad).

If I were ever in charge, what I'd do is experiment with getting people to write a batch of 60-to-80-minute stories and then strip them across the total available running time. Episode 1 is the first 45 minutes of Story A, then you have a cliffhanger; then the first 15 minutes of Episode 2 finishes Story A and starts Story B, with a cliffhanger after 30 minutes of Story B; then the whole of Episode 3 is the end of Story B; then you start Story C to begin Episode 4, and so on. It's probably a complete production nightmare, but I'd love to see it tried.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Trin Tragula posted:

There's a reason that in days of yore, Doctor Who fans used to talk very earnestly about Part Three Syndrome; in which a story which has been rattling along very nicely for 50 minutes and will be done in about 75 comes to a screeching halt in Part Three, while everyone runs up and down corridors and escapes and gets recaptured and nothing of importance happens, because your nice little 75-minute story has to be on air for 90 minutes. 90 minutes is a *lot* of time, that's feature-film length (or at least it used to be before running time inflation went mad).

If I were ever in charge, what I'd do is experiment with getting people to write a batch of 60-to-80-minute stories and then strip them across the total available running time. Episode 1 is the first 45 minutes of Story A, then you have a cliffhanger; then the first 15 minutes of Episode 2 finishes Story A and starts Story B, with a cliffhanger after 30 minutes of Story B; then the whole of Episode 3 is the end of Story B; then you start Story C to begin Episode 4, and so on. It's probably a complete production nightmare, but I'd love to see it tried.

Back in the day this would definitely not have worked at all. Miss the last part of the current serial? Welp, too bad you also missed the first part of the next one. Join us again in 3 weeks to watch the last part of the serial you missed the start of so you can get in at the start of the next story. It does mean sitting through 19 minutes of the previous story you never watched because you missed the set up, but thats just what it takes to get back into the swing of the show again, and at least we didnt have to hire writers who knew how to write for a given timeslot!

Nowadays with catch up TV/streaming etc its not impossible, it would simply be annoying as gently caress instead. If you were writing for netflix it would be even more doable, but I dont see any advantage for it in that situation instead of just doing what some netflix shows do already and have variable episode lengths.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I would just be okay with maybe 6-8 90 minute episodes each season. Let the stories breathe, but move along at a nice pace. I know that would probably eat half the BBC’s budget, though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

When the show came back, the BBC wanted RTD to do only 6 45 minute eps.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Davros1 posted:

Given some of the episodes that were produced during RTD's run, I can't necessarily say that would've been a terrible idea.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Would've been in keeping with what he was accustomed to on Queer as Folk, plus the Kudos shows like Spooks and Hustle that were being praised for reinvigorating BBC drama and what have you.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

There is this diminishing of episodes and episode length in fandom BBC shows. Sherlock, etc. Once a show reaches critical hype, its more important they put out stuff that is:
a) able to be hyped up even more. as hype becomes the runaway factor and
b) bottle neck/filler/not-so-important episodes eat away at the hype. so 4 IMPORTANT episodes makes more sense than 10 ones for the nerds.

so theoretically, you don't even need production at x point in the future. you just need to announce the new doctor and let it sit there in perpetuity. just endless podcasts and posts will ensue. i call it: the Harriet Jones factor. who was another PM machine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doctor Who but each season is as long as a season of Prime Suspect.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lampsacus posted:

There is this diminishing of episodes and episode length in fandom BBC shows. Sherlock, etc. Once a show reaches critical hype, its more important they put out stuff that is:
a) able to be hyped up even more. as hype becomes the runaway factor and
b) bottle neck/filler/not-so-important episodes eat away at the hype. so 4 IMPORTANT episodes makes more sense than 10 ones for the nerds.

so theoretically, you don't even need production at x point in the future. you just need to announce the new doctor and let it sit there in perpetuity. just endless podcasts and posts will ensue. i call it: the Harriet Jones factor. who was another PM machine.

Sherlock, Doctor Who (which has had episode length increase, although number of episodes has decreased, I'll give you that, althought not compared to for example the year of specials) and...? Is there a third one to set the pattern? Cos I gotta say, I feel like Sherlocks episode numbers are more to do with Benedict Cumberbatch (and to a lesser extent Martin Freeman) making something north of 100 times the money for about the same amount of work in the US, and the writing team running out of ideas for Sherlock stories than any BBC "MAKE LESS AND HYPE MORE!" directive.

Motherfucker is doctor strange. Hes making marvel money. On their best day the BBC cant compete with that. I'm sure if he has some down time between movies he wouldnt be opposed to being Sherlock again, but its not going to be his priority.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Luther?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I mean, do you really want me to type that whole post out again but for Idris Elba instead of Cumberbatch? Because dammit I will, I like Elba miles better as an actor anyway.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How the gently caress do you run out of Sherlock Holmes stories? It's a goddamn adaptation!

God, that show wasted all of its potential.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LividLiquid posted:

How the gently caress do you run out of Sherlock Holmes stories? It's a goddamn adaptation!

God, that show wasted all of its potential.

It's not a detective show it's a show about a detec :suicide:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

How the gently caress do you run out of Sherlock Holmes stories?

It's more that everybody who adapts or produces new Sherlock Holmes eventually succumbs to the deep depression of knowing nothing they do will ever approach Jeremy Brett for quality.

Edit: Sherlock Holmes, not Doctor Who :doh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 7, 2018

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not a detective show it's a show about a detec :suicide:

That in itself isn't inherently bad but I can't remember where in the ACD canon we were given such detail on the aroma and mouthfeel of Moffat's farts

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

Another thinks this baby will grow up to be Krasko.

The timing does kind of work out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

The timing does kind of work out...

They were in the 67th Century, Krasko was from the 79th Century (or thereabout, according to the Doctor).