Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, I didn't mind it that much but aside from the debut of Buster Gridman you could almost classify this entire episode as filler (which is something you really shouldn't be doing when you've only got 12 episodes to work with).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is gonna read crazy and all but hear me out: I think some of the material that gets relegated to the "B side" audio drama stuff could make for interesting/stronger stuff if animated and this episode felt like it sorely needed something else.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Dzhay posted:

That she seems hesitant to get more involved, compared to glasses boy, seems to be something the show is doing very deliberately. But yeah, those two should really be asking Calibur and co. how they got robots.

It's very deliberate if my theory from earlier holds

(She knows/suspects Yuta is already retro-dead from a Kaiju, that he actually had no family (they weren't/aren't "on vacation"), and so this fake Yuta was able to just move in and act like the real one.)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Ranzear posted:

It's very deliberate if my theory from earlier holds

(She knows/suspects Yuta is already retro-dead from a Kaiju, that he actually had no family (they weren't/aren't "on vacation"), and so this fake Yuta was able to just move in and act like the real one.)

if his family have been erased by kaiju, what's with the specific time of "three months" until they come back? Is this fake world just not going to last that long?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wark Say posted:

This is gonna read crazy and all but hear me out: I think some of the material that gets relegated to the "B side" audio drama stuff could make for interesting/stronger stuff if animated and this episode felt like it sorely needed something else.

Yeah, I think 4.4 would have worked out well animated.

I do think that ep 5 is one of the funnier episodes at the very least, but could have used a bit more substance, yeah. At least it shows Rikka starting to get in the action.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

if his family have been erased by kaiju, what's with the specific time of "three months" until they come back? Is this fake world just not going to last that long?

Dunno about them, but where did he get that information? If it came from his phone, it could be old/virtual. If it came from Rikka, it still fits and maybe gets more sinister.

Anyway, retraced to episode 1. Mama knows Yuta is in the same class as Rikka. I'm calling that a theory killer.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dessel posted:

Show is still good but I can't be the only one starting to want the supporting cast (Who am I kidding, I mean Rikka) to have some more agency in the show.

I'll be disappointed if this isn't the Rikka and Akane show by the end.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yuta eats dust, Rikka nabs Access Flash off him and gets to be Gridman. Calling it here :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I hope she does but we'll have to suffer a few episodes of her shinjing it up before she she gets inbecomes the robot

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Yuta eats dust, Rikka nabs Access Flash off him and gets to be Gridman. Calling it here :colbert:

Okay but it better redesign Gridman some Star Driver hips.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/kengo1212/status/1059419457779453952

Trigger finished Gridman production already :toot:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Considering how often you see shows coming down to the wire, or even getting delayed, finishing more than a month early is pretty impressive.

This show's just full of surprises.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm honestly glad that production went off without a hitch. Hopefully the show will be all the stronger for it now that we're closer to the halfway mark in broadcasting.

Earlier today I rewatched episode 5 and, thanks to that, I can appreciate it a bit more. Like, I've gotten used to shows doing the baths/hot springs/pool/beach fanservice episode to the point that I'm often like "Ok, let's get this over with already. I know you have DVD/BD's to sell", but I honestly liked the episode, use of panning semi-stills notwithstanding. The Assist Weapon brigade, along with Rikka's Mom were so drat funny and I felt that, the moment the focus started switching to them, they immediately improved upon the episode.

From the scene where they all go "OK, let's get them greenbacks out, people!" to the "poo poo! We fell asleep!" recreation of Yuuta and Sho's earlier train shenanigans, I was chuckling all the way. :3:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Watching Vitt just not push the doilies with Junk on them was the highlight of that sequence.

Weirdo internet theory that sprung from the swimsuit episode: Rikka is in the first trimester of pregnancy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh! And the Itano Circuses were a treat, too! I'm really digging this show. :allears:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Watching Vitt just not push the doilies with Junk on them was the highlight of that sequence.

Weirdo internet theory that sprung from the swimsuit episode: Rikka is in the first trimester of pregnancy.

That is... certainly a theory on the internet, yes siree Bob.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

No thank you

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
That theory is worse than the usual theories in this thread.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

How is gridman formed?
How rikka get pragnent

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

better than darling in the franxx

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Abort this whole train of thought IMO

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:agreed: Let's go back to "Show is currently lowkey Akane vs Rikka" theories.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I think I'd like this theory more if Akane hadn't explicitly failed to get to Yuta through Rikka last episode, but I definitely want to see more of them interacting. I'm also waiting for the big moment where Akane reveals herself or slips up somehow and the Gridman Gang learn she's behind the kaiju, but that won't be until, like, episode nine probably.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

How is gridman formed?
How rikka get pragnent

If a Gridmen has starch masks

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Akane is cuter. Even Rikka thinks so!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cuntellectual posted:

Akane is cuter. Even Rikka thinks so!
This was absolutely not what I meant, but this reply was fantastic and I wanted you to know that. :3:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sorry folks, but we all know that Rikka is cuter :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Actually, Samurai Calibur is the cutest.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Actually, Gridman is the cutest.

Seriously his confused yelling questions/advice from inside the computer is great.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

"No, seriously, where the hell are we?"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Actually, Samurai Calibur is the cutest.

Calibur is a guy that I'd like to hang with because his personality is super cute. Akane's personality is extremely toxic but the boobs/feet combo is extremely powerful

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Calibur is most clearly "alien in a human body" and he's trying his best. It's very endearing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Mach_Dent/status/1058200546522341376

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Loving every single thing about this! :stwoon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still need to get around to watching the show (I think I'll catch up tomorrow on my day off), but I feel like if Tim Curry had not had his stroke, he would have been absolutely down to clown as Alexis.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The theme sucks, but I kinda dig the lyrics.
"They're gonna amp it up; kick some giga butt!"

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I thought the episode was good but I was hoping they would drill the rock monster to death instead of shooting missiles at it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Vitt did say that the drills are just for show, which I found pretty funny for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/jisatsuTEATIME/status/1060734105028083713?s=19

Oh hell yeah