Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh my God, after weeks of starting it, getting to awful dialogue, pausing and going to sleep, I made it through the Rosa Parks episode.

Never in my life have I experienced hands quite so hammy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

They were in the 67th Century, Krasko was from the 79th Century (or thereabout, according to the Doctor).

Born in '67, raised in '79

'Cause casual time travel

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

How the gently caress do you run out of Sherlock Holmes stories? It's a goddamn adaptation!

I will be interested in seeing how Moffat and Gatiss's "Sherlock-style" Dracula show turns out. :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I will be interested in seeing how Moffat and Gatiss's "Sherlock-style" Dracula show turns out. :v:

Probably about as well as loving Jekyl did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

Probably about as well as loving Jekyl did.

My surmise from back when it was announced was that it will be called "Drac", it will star somebody like Alexander Vlahos as Dracula and Van Helsing will be reimagined as a woman who is secretly in love with Dracula and cries every time she sees him because of how awesome he is.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
If you haven't heard Big Finish's quite good adaptation of Russel "The" Davies' rather good pre-revival novel it is currently available for 4.99 and I think it's an interesting listen for fans of the show even if you're iffy on the New Adventures generally just for seeing the seeds RTD was planting before being able to bring the show back properly

Wheat Loaf posted:

The trick here is to just listen to the Big Finish adaptation where Gatiss played Dracula and ignore whatever TV guff he and Moffat squeeze out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Anybody see the engine room in the last ep and wish it was the TARDIS console room?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Anybody see the engine room in the last ep and wish it was the TARDIS console room?

...well I do now!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it's far superior to the new set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This one?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

docbeard posted:

...well I do now!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The helix antimatter thingy I think. And yeah I totally agree

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Combine them both! The anti matter thingy for the Time Rotor, that thing for the controls

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Eh, it feels a little too clean and stereotypically 'futurey'. That's going to be to the 2010s (and 00s) what the kinda industrial beat-up tech is to the late 70s-80s.

I prefer the new console room, because it's kind of unusual and hard to say 'belongs' to any particular era, including our own. Hell, if I were to make a comparison to anything, it feels like it'd be right at home in Jack Kirby art rather than anything from today.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/David_Tennant/status/1060161732038090754

Are these still the ones BF does, but aren't allowed to sell or mention in any way?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Catherine Tate's doing some plays for them too. Not sure if it's all the same though, it's a bit confusing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, that thing looked really cool. I get the complaint that it's too clean, but I think cluttering it up a bit would have made for a better TARDIS than the one they're using.

As for the episode this week, I thought it was fine, although it felt a bit rushed. Overall, I find that I care a little less about the high concept sci-fi stuff (the threat was basically Nibbler this episode, while the crew played a game of Space Alert in the background), but more about the characters. The idea of "pilot's heart," a medical condition that would prevent someone from doing the only thing they felt they were good at, held my attention more than the idea of a bomb on the ship.

This was probably the weakest episode because the pregnancy stuff was just a huge whiff. I just had a baby three months ago, so if it was going to hit anyone emotionally, it would be me, and the whole thing felt like they were putting pressure on someone who wasn't ready to raise a baby to do it.

It was still enjoyable, though. I just like watching Team TARDIS. I'm sad they're halfway through it already.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, that thing looked really cool. I get the complaint that it's too clean, but I think cluttering it up a bit would have made for a better TARDIS than the one they're using.

I honestly expected something clean and white like this for the TARDIS anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The control room is balls. It's just dark and depressing as all hell and does not fit Jodie in the slightest.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

The_Doctor posted:

I honestly expected something clean and white like this for the TARDIS anyway.

It does feel like a clean white room would fit Thirteen's personality way more than a weird moody bioorganic crystal cave

it's like she got the control room Twelve was meant to have

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I basically wish that they would stop letting Nickelodeon design the TARDIS.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rhyno posted:

The control room is balls. It's just dark and depressing as all hell and does not fit Jodie in the slightest.

Soothing Vapors posted:

It does feel like a clean white room would fit Thirteen's personality way more than a weird moody bioorganic crystal cave

it's like she got the control room Twelve was meant to have

Yeah it sucks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it, the 11/12 control room was excellent and all you guys who hate it are jerks.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I didn't care much for 11's version of it but the way they re-worked it for 12 made it work for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I actually really like the new TARDIS control room and the weird geological acid trip feel they have for the time vortex and related stuff. :shrug:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

All I want from a new modern Dracula is 'Salem's Lot in Midsomer

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Orv posted:

I actually really like the new TARDIS control room and the weird geological acid trip feel they have for the time vortex and related stuff. :shrug:

Yeah, I do like the dmt time vortex

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wheat Loaf posted:

My surmise from back when it was announced was that it will be called "Drac", it will star somebody like Alexander Vlahos as Dracula and Van Helsing will be reimagined as a woman who is secretly in love with Dracula and cries every time she sees him because of how awesome he is.

Oh god I can see it :gonk:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bicyclops posted:

This was probably the weakest episode because the pregnancy stuff was just a huge whiff. I just had a baby three months ago, so if it was going to hit anyone emotionally, it would be me, and the whole thing felt like they were putting pressure on someone who wasn't ready to raise a baby to do it.

It really seemed like a massively low effort sideplot to give Graham and Ryan something to do. I wish they'd have dropped that and given them a task related in some way to the drama of the episode. Have them in the guts of the ship at a fuse box turning power on and off to lure nibbler to the bomb or something.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Azhais posted:

It really seemed like a massively low effort sideplot to give Graham and Ryan something to do. I wish they'd have dropped that and given them a task related in some way to the drama of the episode. Have them in the guts of the ship at a fuse box turning power on and off to lure nibbler to the bomb or something.

Well it was a clumsy gender inversion juxtaposition. Yaz, the cop, gets the weapon and the GUARD role, so the boys get sent off to the caregiver role. I can see why they'd want to do that, but it would have been better if some more instrumental character were pregnant or needed care or whatever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

God drat it, the 11/12 control room was excellent and all you guys who hate it are jerks.

It suuuuuuuuuuucked and I will gladly die on this hill

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
A retro clean room would nicely compliment the retro theme tune.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

spog posted:

A retro clean room would nicely compliment the retro theme tune.

I want to say gently caress you, because the rhyme scheme of that made me read it in Matt Lucas' Dennis Waterman voice from Little Britain.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My roommate is watching Dark Water, and, you know, there's a lot to say about Season 8 and somewhat less that's complimentary, but

quote:

Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference?

is such a perfect line at such a perfect moment.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Jerusalem posted:

It's more that everybody who adapts or produces new Sherlock Holmes eventually succumbs to the deep depression of knowing nothing they do will ever approach Jeremy Brett for quality.

Edit: Sherlock Holmes, not Doctor Who :doh:

Yea, that is indeed the truth. It's always amazing when one actor can so define a given part that almost no-one and/or nothing can ever replace it. Even decades later i.e. any horror movie with Vincent Price in it... ;-) , or Derek Jacobi as Claudius. or...

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
...Edmund Blackadder.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It suuuuuuuuuuucked and I will gladly die on this hill

Well I was gonna stab you a bunch of times but ugh, that hill is pretty steep so I guess you're safe for now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cleretic posted:

Eh, it feels a little too clean and stereotypically 'futurey'. That's going to be to the 2010s (and 00s) what the kinda industrial beat-up tech is to the late 70s-80s.

I prefer the new console room, because it's kind of unusual and hard to say 'belongs' to any particular era, including our own. Hell, if I were to make a comparison to anything, it feels like it'd be right at home in Jack Kirby art rather than anything from today.

Yeah, I don't know if I will ever count this console room as among my favorites, but I can't deny it is a fresh take.

Rhyno posted:

My all time fav-ravs:

1. 11's first impossible to film in gold/bronze room
2. 11/12
3. Classic Hartnell
4. Secondary Console Room
5. That weird 3 one with the giant roundels that showed up in like one ep

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've always been into the way the console by itself can be used as a TARDIS, al la Inferno but as an actual location like the normal console room. You wouldn't even have to build a set, just stick it and a doorway or two in an open air location, like the middle of a field, or a forest or a cave. You could have a different location every episode, and you could do different weather conditions too.

Alternately, the Rani's TARDIS from Time And The Rani is pretty sweet, at least in that black and white photo that pops up every so often. But I'd probably be weird and insist that the interior should only be shot in B&W.

Basically really shake up the idea of the TARDIS's crazy interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

From the recent comics, based off the lost Season 27 design: