Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
1) Is there a way to check to see if Arthur is hot or cold? I have only once seen a tooltip message pop up and I think it was just for the first time. It's easy enough to tell when I'm wading through hip deep snow, but other times I'm not sure.

2) Likewise, how can I be notified if I'm underweight/overweight?

3) For pelts that you carry around on your horse, do I need to hand carry them to Pearson to hold on to them for crafting or can I leave them on my horse outside of camp?

4) Similar to the above stuff, can I easily check on my horse's weight/dirty/etc status? My last horse was a dappled brown thing and always looked dirty. It's easier now that I have the white Arabian, I guess. I went into a stable and the guy accused me of starving my horse which made me very sad. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My war horse turned into a Tennessee walker. No idea how. Same name. Different horse. Kinda pissed about it.

Someone you killed is a witch. This game is so detailed.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

If you sell perfect pelts to the trapper, are they still available for crafting like legendary pelts are?

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 7, 2018

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

free hubcaps posted:

If you sell perfect pelts to the trapper, are they still available for crafting like legendary pelts are?

Yes but only from the trapper. Can't use them for camp/satchel upgrades.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My war horse turned into a Tennessee walker. No idea how. Same name. Different horse. Kinda pissed about it.

This happened to me last night. Just keep reloading, and it kinda fixed itself.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hobo Clown posted:

Yes but only from the trapper. Can't use them for camp/satchel upgrades.

I haven't quite figured out how to use animal parts for the camp/satchel upgrades, do I have to own them, or do I have to donate them like with the trapper?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Excellent posted:

This happened to me last night. Just keep reloading, and it kinda fixed itself.

I’m probably boned then I just kept playing.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

JBP posted:

Oh I found the Aberdeen pig farm.

How did this work out for everyone? I found the bones and was like this is bad, then I sat down to dinner while looking hilariously uncomfortable. I confronted them and they were like "more fun for us" to which Arthur said screw it and sat down to drink, then wake up in a pit.This game really shines in a sudden burst of violence. I burst back in the door and shot her while she came at me with a knife then I riddled the fat man as he raced down the stairs and he loving stumbled down and out the door with the impact like a loving movie. It was awesome.

I went inside the house but didn't trust the drink they gave me, so I just went around the house looting their poo poo. The sister didn't like that so she got up and pulled out a knife without saying a word and I plugged her. The brother got up and shouted he was going to kill me, but I guess he bugged out because he just stood there while I pointed a gun at him. I guess Arthur bugged out too because I could talk to him and Arthur just said "Hey mister! :v: " a few times until the brother finally made a move

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aranan posted:

1) Is there a way to check to see if Arthur is hot or cold? I have only once seen a tooltip message pop up and I think it was just for the first time. It's easy enough to tell when I'm wading through hip deep snow, but other times I'm not sure.

2) Likewise, how can I be notified if I'm underweight/overweight?

3) For pelts that you carry around on your horse, do I need to hand carry them to Pearson to hold on to them for crafting or can I leave them on my horse outside of camp?

4) Similar to the above stuff, can I easily check on my horse's weight/dirty/etc status? My last horse was a dappled brown thing and always looked dirty. It's easier now that I have the white Arabian, I guess. I went into a stable and the guy accused me of starving my horse which made me very sad. :(

A little weather style icon should start flashing on your health core if you are too hot/cold when the game does not feel like giving you the upper left text warning. For whatever reason it put the gloves back onto my outfit during on mission based fishing trip (I have an Average outfit that I take the gloves off of to quality for hot weather as needed), and I nearly bottomed out my health core because I was trapped rowing the boat while the NPCs sang and talked. Fortunately, I was allowed to use my satchel and absorb a cooked steak through my rear end while banned from removing my gloves.

But 90% of the time a "Hot weather" outfit is just fine, except maybe you'll get two minutes of "You are too cold!" after waking up in the morning. I guess there is a reason it seems like every single general store outfit I see for sale is Hot Weather rated. It SEEMS you need to be heading to specifically absurdly cold places for cold weather outfits to be needed. I didn't get any warnings despite the light sprinkling of snow on the ground during Loan shark cougar hunt But maybe that stretch is suspiciously warm for gameplay reasons, I think the temperature was 40 degrees when I hit the D-pad to check once I saw snow for that example.

Unlike town butchers, Pearson can take stuff that's stashed on your horse so long as it is parked anywhere in the camp.

If you have a brush, just remember to brush your horse when you park it for the night. Or you notice a massive leftover bloodstain after hunting. I just give my horse some carrots or apples whenever I leave for the day/mission, and when I park for the night and my horses have been "fit" ever since. That said, the exact same feeding habits meant my horses were constantly malnourished until a couple days past the stable tutorial that gives you a brush. (Buy +2 stat stirrups ASAP. About $40 bucks to give a significant buff every horse you ever own).

I'm still perpetually slightly underweight with Morgan. But I guess the game is much more finicky about what it considers "fair" for Morgan. "Aw poo poo, I forgot to eat or sleep for 57 (in universe) hours!" -5% to -10% health regen underweight. "I'm going to order the lamb fry, then cook and eat every bit of wild animal meat I have before bed. -5% to-10% health regen underweight.

So I guess don't worry if the game says you are underweight unless you start to feel like you have suspiciously brittle bones, then check your status to see if you need to binge through all your cans of beans.

EDIT: It amused me that alongside stuff like volatile fire bottles, the Fence will eventually sell you the recipe for... Horse provisions. I'm going to pretend the reasoning is that they stole the secret family recipe from the stables, as it looks like horse provision items do the same thing as the $5 buff snack at a stable.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 7, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So by starting again I'm in chapter two just exploring and finding so much stuff. I robbed two trains, stole wagons, robbed all the shops in Valentine (two without even getting jacked up and one featuring a daring kick open door and dead eye on three lawmen before stealing a horse and riding to freedom!), Aberdeen farm and I also found a house that got hit by a meteorite where Arthur says "what the hell..." incredulously as you walk in. gently caress I love this game.

I'm glad I beelined the story missions because now I can just pick clean each chapter and I also understand the controls so well that things generally pan out or end in a sweet gunfight without it being confusing as to why.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Does the number of outfits horses can carry vary by bonding level, or breed, or what? I had a thoroughbred at max level, bought a new Arabian, and my horse outfits dropped from five to three.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
It's determined by saddlebags; check what you have equipped.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Just got a free black Arabian - there's a random event at Saint Denis at night where a couple are being mugged by a purse snatcher a few blocks from the stables.

If you are very quick on the trigger you can kill the snatcher before he shoots them both. After which they thank you and walk off. Where they were standing they left a black Arabian behind (it has been there the whole time) you can mount it without it being labeled stealing nor suffering any honour loss and take it the stables around the corner.

Bam free black Arabian.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What happens to legendary animal skins if you lose them? I ended up accepting a quest right after getting the legendary bear one, ended up restarting the mission and I don't seem to have it on my horse/in my horses's inventory anymore.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What happens to legendary animal skins if you lose them? I ended up accepting a quest right after getting the legendary bear one, ended up restarting the mission and I don't seem to have it on my horse/in my horses's inventory anymore.

It goes to the trapper inventory, you just don't get the money you would have for selling it to him. If you don't care about the ~50 bucks per pelt, you can literally just skin the legendary, dump the pelt on the floor and leave.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Game can never remember what guns you have equipped but has perfect recollection of you looking down the scope the last time you used this rifle, 10 hours ago.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Section Z posted:

bunch of answers

Thanks! I've been in the habit of randomly brushing my horse, so I guess I should also feed her. :v:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

My horse gets fat as gently caress from eating like two oatcakes but Arthur is underweight despite eating 30 pounds of food every day.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Figured out how the hunting trinket works

Sometimes, but not every time, a skin will be upgraded after it's picked up or skinned. For example a two star corpse will result in a three star skin randomly. This seems to apply to one stars too as one star rat corpses can be picked up and they will be labelled perfect. So in essence every skin has a chance to be perfect rather than no chance if done wrong

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Chapter 5 question (spoilers): So, is my horse I used at the end of Chapter 4 gone for good or will it be recovered in a mission or in the open world?

Edit: Nevermind. Just had to play a bit more. That was quite a scare.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 7, 2018

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't quite figured out how to use animal parts for the camp/satchel upgrades, do I have to own them, or do I have to donate them like with the trapper?

Donate them to Pearson. Perfect animal skins should have a "Donate for Crafting" prompt with him and it goes into his inventory, and then you'll see it highlighted on any crafting recipes that require it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Sioux posted:

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out how waypoints work. It should make some kind of GPS navigation on your mini-map possible right? I've never seen any kind of trail to follow. My workaround is to just put one of those red markers and go into that general direction.

If you are doing what I was doing and disabled the minimap/radar in favor of using the companion app on a tablet or whatever, GPS disables itself and will not work. You need to have at least the Compass enabled, which is what I ended up doing just so I could set waypoints to tell my horse to run to automatically in cinematic mode while I just lay back and relax.

I liked not having anything in the lower left and I enjoy doing my own navigation by learning landmarks and stuff, but sometimes if I need to go from Big Valley to St Denis and don't want to fast travel, it's just easier to set a waypoint and kick back.

tl;dr: GPS gets force-disabled if you disable radar/compass. Turn at least the compass on and then go in settings and make sure GPS is enabled and then waypoints will work.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JBP posted:

Oh I found the Aberdeen pig farm.

How did this work out for everyone? I found the bones and was like this is bad, then I sat down to dinner while looking hilariously uncomfortable. I confronted them and they were like "more fun for us" to which Arthur said screw it and sat down to drink, then wake up in a pit.This game really shines in a sudden burst of violence. I burst back in the door and shot her while she came at me with a knife then I riddled the fat man as he raced down the stairs and he loving stumbled down and out the door with the impact like a loving movie. It was awesome.

i tied up the woman and left her in the hole to die of exposure next to her mother's corpse

it's like a create-your-own-cormac mccarthy story

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Oxxidation posted:

i tied up the woman and left her in the hole to die of exposure next to her mother's corpse

it's like a create-your-own-cormac mccarthy story

drat, wish I’d thought of that! I just turned her head into a canoe when she rushed at me with her butcher knife

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Hihohe posted:

I just wanted to add this to the thread

https://i.imgur.com/GWXDCwe.mp4

I did that mission at night with a hat on, so the shadow from the overhead light completely obscured his face and I never saw this. Thank you.

Also from that mission: Hey we knocked out this hardened cowboy dude and stole his money, just toss him in the backyard with all his guns, I'm sure this will work out fine for us

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Does the mission always end up dark and raining when you wake up in the pit? That was hella atmospheric. Calmly walked back to the house and ventilated those wierdos. Stacked them up at the front door and threw a fire bottle inside on my way out. Made me wish that buildings could actually burn down.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

UnknownMercenary posted:

Why the hell is there a mission in Blackwater and how did Javier get there without getting his face blown off? This is dumb as rocks.

The Fool posted:

Given the content of the mission, it makes total sense.

I just wish Javier met you on the outskirts of Blackwater and could help you sneak in, cause god drat I died maybe twice and almost lost my horse a bunch of times just following the waypoint to Javier, cause lawmen instantly spawn and start shooting you the second you step into Blackwater. It was frustrating, and I remember I ended up stupidly having to cross the big river to the East just to get to him, which seemed so counterintuitive and I didn't even think it would work. I ended up doing it because I was tired of trying to fight my way in, and it was really early game so I wasn't the most kitted out.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Qubee posted:

I just wish Javier met you on the outskirts of Blackwater and could help you sneak in, cause god drat I died maybe twice and almost lost my horse a bunch of times just following the waypoint to Javier, cause lawmen instantly spawn and start shooting you the second you step into Blackwater. It was frustrating, and I remember I ended up stupidly having to cross the big river to the East just to get to him, which seemed so counterintuitive and I didn't even think it would work. I ended up doing it because I was tired of trying to fight my way in, and it was really early game so I wasn't the most kitted out.

Are you talking about that early mission where you rescue Sean? Could it have been where you were coming from that the GPS sent you through Blackwater? I cam from the east when I did that mission Javier met me on the outskirts and I never needed to go into the city.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The only thing that makes that mission better is having bounty hunters creeping up the farm tracking you while you've finished your business in the house.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The_White_Crane posted:

It's determined by saddlebags; check what you have equipped.
Hm, I'm pretty sure I transferred over the same saddle and saddlebags, but I'll check that.

Hobo Clown posted:

Are you talking about that early mission where you rescue Sean? Could it have been where you were coming from that the GPS sent you through Blackwater? I cam from the east when I did that mission Javier met me on the outskirts and I never needed to go into the city.
Yeah, it should be right across the river from a safe zone, I didn't go anywhere near Blackwater (or at least any nearer than the quest marker).

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hobo Clown posted:

I did that mission at night with a hat on, so the shadow from the overhead light completely obscured his face and I never saw this. Thank you.

Also from that mission: Hey we knocked out this hardened cowboy dude and stole his money, just toss him in the backyard with all his guns, I'm sure this will work out fine for us

I made a better gif for it now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hihohe posted:

I made a better gif for it now.

This is a perfect gif for that mathematical equation meme.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Lid posted:

Figured out how the hunting trinket works

Sometimes, but not every time, a skin will be upgraded after it's picked up or skinned. For example a two star corpse will result in a three star skin randomly. This seems to apply to one stars too as one star rat corpses can be picked up and they will be labelled perfect. So in essence every skin has a chance to be perfect rather than no chance if done wrong

One thing I noticed is that you can kill 3 star snakes with the varmint rifle and still have it become a perfect skin. The corpse will be 2 stars but the skin will be perfect, this does not work with squirrels for some reason.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
My horse has cost me so many perfect pelts I'm very pissed off that the game won't let me shoot it in the face.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

TjyvTompa posted:

One thing I noticed is that you can kill 3 star snakes with the varmint rifle and still have it become a perfect skin. The corpse will be 2 stars but the skin will be perfect, this does not work with squirrels for some reason.

Are you sure it's not the buck trinket doing that? I tried that because I hate the small game arrows trying to hit god drat snakes that are moving and it showed 2 stars and came up 2 stars.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jizz into Darkness posted:

It goes to the trapper inventory, you just don't get the money you would have for selling it to him. If you don't care about the ~50 bucks per pelt, you can literally just skin the legendary, dump the pelt on the floor and leave.

:unsmith: thanks! Glad to hear that I didn't run into a bug.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I just deadeye 3* tiny animals with the small game arrows from horseback and it hasn’t failed me yet

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Sheen Sheen posted:

I just deadeye 3* tiny animals with the small game arrows from horseback and it hasn’t failed me yet

I can never get that to work with moving snakes for whatever reason. Need to get them to coil up or whatever.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hobo Clown posted:

yeah, that's the one. Javier never met me on the outskirts, the quest marker was right in the middle of Blackwater and the GPS was sending me through death valley, so I had to swim across the river from the east. I won't lie, swimming across the river with my level 4 bonded horse was cool and all, but if the horse stamina runs out, it can die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Qubee posted:

yeah, that's the one. Javier never met me on the outskirts, the quest marker was right in the middle of Blackwater and the GPS was sending me through death valley, so I had to swim across the river from the east. I won't lie, swimming across the river with my level 4 bonded horse was cool and all, but if the horse stamina runs out, it can die.

It should just boot you off and swim to shore and grump. That was my experience when I did some testing, at least. I had to finish the swim myself and barely made it. Maybe save your game and test it?