Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That car AI chart is from the Moral Machine website, go take the quiz and have your own chart!

It generates random moral dilemmas, some of them are hilarious

Also Shaun owns and the end of his most recent video is relevant to this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM7BgrddY18&t=1522s

(25:22)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Fathis Munk posted:

That is awesome, I need to go and take that quiz.

Pet ethos: The machine should always continue straight, no matter the consequences, because taking action to kill a particular person is less ethical than by inaction allowing a particular person to die.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Nov 7, 2018

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

gently caress

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

:hmmyes:

(Also: Good Lord, how many news anchors does ABC need?)

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

There was a good radio lab on these self driving dilemmas. The one big point was that no matter what people choose in situations like these quizzes, the end result is that the cars always need to do whatever possible to protect the occupants. Otherwise nobody would say that they'd use a self driving car.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

HardDiskD posted:

gently caress

You know, a Dukes of Hazzard sideways slide could get them all.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

learnincurve posted:

I warms my heart that there are people in this world who have not heard of Michael Gove.
Was only vaguely aware of him as a pro-Brexit guy and won't go past the picture, but an aside he looks like a white Dinesh D'Souza.

System Metternich posted:

(Also: Good Lord, how many news anchors does ABC need?)
162% of them

pangstrom has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Nov 7, 2018

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fathis Munk posted:

That car AI chart is from the Moral Machine website, go take the quiz and have your own chart!

Just crash the car, the cats will land on their feet and pretend that nothing happened.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

And in Camelot they established the Round Table...

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nenonen posted:

Just crash the car, the cats will land on their feet and pretend that nothing happened.

It's a Tesla. It'll catch fire and kill everyone

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fathis Munk posted:

WHO'S A GOOD CRIME FIGHTING BOY??

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If there is one thing I’m sure of it’s that the people who made that were stoned.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

itskage posted:

There was a good radio lab on these self driving dilemmas. The one big point was that no matter what people choose in situations like these quizzes, the end result is that the cars always need to do whatever possible to protect the occupants. Otherwise nobody would say that they'd use a self driving car.

Yeah that's a huge problem. Imo, they should always err on the side of killing the occupants who willingly chose to drive the murdermachine.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think I solved the puzzle:

Lowest score dies.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

HardDiskD posted:

I think I solved the puzzle:

Lowest score dies.

Hack the system and turn that -1 for executive into -10. The guillotinemobile.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

just to be clear those aren't official scores or anything i just thought it would be funny to do

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the only way for a self-driving car to behave ethically is to do donuts and then jump off ramps and then crush cars with its big tires and then fire comes out of the exhaust and also the self driving car is a monster truck and all other vehicles are illegal

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Captain Hygiene posted:

WHO'S A GOOD CRIME FIGHTING BOY??
I just had two cats and a dog in the car. Incredible Journey remake looking good.

E: Also I accidentally clicked on an option to kill five people instead of one and the summary now thinks I'm a bloodthirsty killer.

Lord Hydronium has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Nov 7, 2018

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
A tweet from a couple of days ago that I can't find now was responding to that self-driving car chart and pointed out that the research is clearly being done by people who don't actually understand the technology. A self-driving car can't tell the difference between a man and a woman, much less a "criminal" and an "athelete". All it sees are highlighted rectangles and follows the directive "avoid obstacles". It's going to respond "ethically" the same way to a pedestrian as it does to a trash can.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No reason they couldn't be taught to recognize men and women, fit or fat, cats or dogs, if it actually made sense to do so. Which it doesn't.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

No reason they couldn't be taught to recognize men and women, fit or fat, cats or dogs, if it actually made sense to do so. Which it doesn't.

Eh, the thing is that even humans can't perfectly identify "man" or "woman" at a distance on the street, especially if it's winter and they're all bundled up in heavy jackets. We go more based on fashion choices than actual physical characteristics. A self-driving car MIGHT be able to distinguish "children" from "adults" because of different size characteristics, but as far as two objects of roughly equal size, it has no way of knowing. It doesn't see details because it needs to be able to process things quickly and that level of detail analysis would be too slow for what little value might be gained from doing so.

A lot of people talking about the "ethics" of self-driving cars are obsessing over edge cases and digging into way more specifics than the cars ever will. I mean hell in a real life accident it's not like a human driver is making value judgements like "Oh no my brakes failed, do I run over the lady pushing the stroller or the man in the jogging outfit?". It's a lot more like "Oh no my brakes failed oh no I just hit someone".

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PragerU is very appropriate for this thread

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Eh, the thing is that even humans can't perfectly identify "man" or "woman" at a distance on the street, especially if it's winter and they're all bundled up in heavy jackets. We go more based on fashion choices than actual physical characteristics. A self-driving car MIGHT be able to distinguish "children" from "adults" because of different size characteristics, but as far as two objects of roughly equal size, it has no way of knowing. It doesn't see details because it needs to be able to process things quickly and that level of detail analysis would be too slow for what little value might be gained from doing so.

A lot of people talking about the "ethics" of self-driving cars are obsessing over edge cases and digging into way more specifics than the cars ever will. I mean hell in a real life accident it's not like a human driver is making value judgements like "Oh no my brakes failed, do I run over the lady pushing the stroller or the man in the jogging outfit?". It's a lot more like "Oh no my brakes failed oh no I just hit someone".
If anything, computer vision would be much better equipped to handle non-binary genders. Like so:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Away all Goats posted:

PragerU is very appropriate for this thread

Yeah those are the ones he shows in the vid. Amazing graphs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The decline of artistic standards one is just one of my favorite graphs of all time. At a glance you can just know it's profoundly stupid. It doesn't even define what an artistic standard actually even is, if such a thing is even possible. Then it just so happens to completely bottom out at exactly the time the civil rights era hit but I'm sure that's just a coincidence that means absolutely nothing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

If anything, computer vision would be much better equipped to handle non-binary genders. Like so:

I have trouble believing a computer would be better at handling anything non-binary.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The decline of artistic standards one is just one of my favorite graphs of all time. At a glance you can just know it's profoundly stupid. It doesn't even define what an artistic standard actually even is, if such a thing is even possible. Then it just so happens to completely bottom out at exactly the time the civil rights era hit but I'm sure that's just a coincidence that means absolutely nothing.

My favorite is that the peak of artistic standards and where the overall decline begins appears to be right around the 1860s :thunk:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Raldikuk posted:

My favorite is that the peak of artistic standards and where the overall decline begins appears to be right around the 1860s :thunk:

Oh crap, Sherman must still be out there burning down all the culture. Gotta find that fucker and make him stop.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Another fun thing about that graph is that apparently artistic standards are at literally 0. Not just "lower than they've ever been" but "as low as they can theoretically go. Art cannot possibly be worse"

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Another fun thing about that graph is that apparently artistic standards are at literally 0. Not just "lower than they've ever been" but "as low as they can theoretically go. Art cannot possibly be worse"

I'm inclined to agree. I mean have you seen the political cartoon thread?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Which happens around the 1960s/70s so yet another :thunk:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh crap, Sherman must still be out there burning down all the culture. Gotta find that fucker and make him stop give him a pizza party

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’ve seen a similar artistic standards graph before - they were talking about the rise of advertising and all the young talent migrating from painting actual pictures to hack work for big corporations in that instance.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

It may be nearly useless as a visualisation, but I do like the idea of a world in which nobody uses or is expected to use SAS, so I'm completely on board

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Raldikuk posted:

Which happens around the 1960s/70s so yet another :thunk:

The 1860's is around the time that impressionism became a big thing, paving the way for increasingly less representational forms of art - what we know as modern art collectively. By the 60's and 70's pop art and other forms of postmodern art were becoming a big thing.

It's still a profoundly stupid graph and of course the evolution of art is related to cultural changes that the author presumably disapproves of as well, but it makes 'sense' outside of the specific Americentric references that you guys are bringing up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
0/10 no Guiana

See me after class.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 12:33 on Nov 8, 2018