Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rinkles posted:

tangentially related, the korean live action adaptation of jin roh---illang, on netlix---is okay, but the ending completely changes the message of the movie

Mind explaining? I've been curious about it because Jin-Roh is legitimately one of my favorite movies of all time, but if it fucks up the message I'm worried it'll just make me get really angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
It's precisely the opposite of the animated movie, and glorifies the action instead of being overtly dismissive about it. Also immigration good? Immigration bad? Kinda wasn't the point the original. The setting of 2029 and merging countries is weird, too, and is dramatic for drama's sake instead of for personal plot reasons.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Queen Combat posted:

It's precisely the opposite of the animated movie, and glorifies the action instead of being overtly dismissive about it.

:cripes:

the one big action scene in Jin-Roh is loving incredible, but it's that way because... well...

the best way I can put it is, Jin-Roh is an example of how not getting to the fireworks factory early on can actually genuinely help a movie. early on, it sets up Fuse as being pretty badass. it then does nothing with this, deliberately, for 99% of the movie while keeping it in the back of your mind.

and then the Public Security Division comes for Fuse, and we finally get to see the full extent of how much of a unstoppable hell-monster Fuse is when he's armed and armored. and it might be legitimately one of the most amazing animated action sequences, like, ever, from any country, East or West.

if Illsang turned the action up, not only did they miss the thematic point of Jin-Roh, they literally didn't get why it was a good movie.

quote:

Also immigration good? Immigration bad? Kinda wasn't the point the original.

eh, this i can sort of see- part of why Jin-Roh is so relevant nowadays is because it's anti-fascist as gently caress. Fuse works for the fascist dystopian government, and it slowly shreds his humanity until he's basically a broken shell at the end who exists just to occupy a suit of armor and shoot people. making it a bit less oblique and a bit more on-the-nose is kind of what I expected from 2018 Jin-Roh.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

eh, this i can sort of see- part of why Jin-Roh is so relevant nowadays is because it's anti-fascist as gently caress. Fuse works for the fascist dystopian government, and it slowly shreds his humanity until he's basically a broken shell at the end who exists just to occupy a suit of armor and shoot people. making it a bit less oblique and a bit more on-the-nose is kind of what I expected from 2018 Jin-Roh.

no, in this movie the brigade are essentially the good guys. there's some moral ambiguity, loss of innocence, etc, but at the end of the day they do the right thing, and there's a happy ending

there was arguably no good side in jin-roh, but it definitely wasn't the brigade

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jesus christ

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Conot posted:

Given the contents of Season 3 I'm guessing they're referring to Eleanor, considering her relationship with Ban is a lot more in your face then it was in Season 1

I mean the bits in season 1 of them kissing, I'm only like 13 episodes in!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rinkles posted:

no, in this movie the brigade are essentially the good guys. there's some moral ambiguity, loss of innocence, etc, but at the end of the day they do the right thing, and there's a happy ending

there was arguably no good side in jin-roh, but it definitely wasn't the brigade

Holy poo poo are you loving kidding me :psyduck:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Castlevania is really loving good and I want the team to work on Zelda.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Castlevania is one of those shows I’m glad exists because it’s slowly training up American 2d animation talent but for now that talent is only evident in the action scenes and every other sequence looks way worse than pretty much any anime. Stiff characters not moving through space correctly with clumsy layout. Still way better than Texas’ other anime-style product RWBY though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Castlevania was enjoyable but it had a lot of audio problems I thought, especially with dialogue. It was hard to tell if it was the mix or an issue with performances/direction that wasn't quite suited to voicework.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Condiv posted:

is it that snake girl thing?

i watched a clip of awesome anime fight pride guy vs some monster thing and... it wasn't good. snake girl eats pride guy's soul but his soul was too spicy so she couldn't? (i think it had to do with power levels, which this guy apparently had like a 1 gagillion power level)

in any case, jojo has spoiled me and the fight was bad. netflix should get jojo so it can have a good anime (well, it's got devilman crybaby, but it needs more good animes)

Netflix has Aggretsko, which is top tier.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the line reads get a bit weird from time to time but i always watch things with captions on so i guess the mix didn't really stand out to me

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ccs posted:

Castlevania is one of those shows I’m glad exists because it’s slowly training up American 2d animation talent but for now that talent is only evident in the action scenes and every other sequence looks way worse than pretty much any anime. Stiff characters not moving through space correctly with clumsy layout. Still way better than Texas’ other anime-style product RWBY though.

Wait what, Castlevania is animated in TX?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Castlevania was enjoyable but it had a lot of audio problems I thought, especially with dialogue. It was hard to tell if it was the mix or an issue with performances/direction that wasn't quite suited to voicework.

Definitely feels like the mix. I noticed especially whenever a character is speaking from off screen it sounds muffled. I wonder if they were trying for stereo surround effect or something and screwed it up.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ccs posted:

Yeah it's pretty noticeable some times. But it being an action based AMERICAN animated series it deserves a lot of respect. I think Samurai Jack was the only other animated adult series animated in America and it's animation style is much more different.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wait what, Castlevania is animated in TX?

It was animated by Powerhouse which is in Austin.

While Castlevania is obviously a Japanese property, everything in the series from the writing, directing, producing, and animation is more or less 100% American. The show is sort of a milestone for Western animation.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 7, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah Powerhouse and Yotta are finally making anime style animation in America possible. Now all those art students that pay $200k to go to art school to draw anime animation against their professors wishes can get jobs paying 30k a year instead of moving to japan and making 10k a year before dying of exhaustion.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/carole_tuesday/status/1060122362572550144

I'm hyped.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ccs posted:

Yeah Powerhouse and Yotta are finally making anime style animation in America possible. Now all those art students that pay $200k to go to art school to draw anime animation against their professors wishes can get jobs paying 30k a year instead of moving to japan and making 10k a year before dying of exhaustion.

How sad is it that $30k a year but doing all of the animations without outsourcing is relatively progressive?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

How sad is it that $30k a year but doing all of the animations without outsourcing is relatively progressive?

Yeah it's pretty sad. That said, if those animators don't have significant student debt then 30k a year is enough to live comfortably (provided no kids, still live like a student.) Then the issue becomes getting enough projects to be employed year round.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Kingtheninja posted:

Maybe aldnoah zero? I never finished the second season, someone else will have to confirm.

Just tried the first three episodes. Eugh it's awful. Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first season of aldnoah is about low-powered real robots vs. ridiculous super robots, which is good clean fun. the second season dropped that for a bunch of boring poo poo no one cares about.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The gimmick of super skilled pilot in grunt mechs beating up custom super mechs was done better in Armored Trooper VOTOMS which came out in 1983. Aldnoah has a cool sound track though and that's about it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
votoms is unquestionably better than aldnoah. votoms is better than most things, really. still, it is real robots vs. slightly better real robots which isn't the same thing at all.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Netflix has a bunch of anime in production.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lasean thomas working with mappa to make a mecha fantasy adaption of yasuke

Wowee

Flylo on the soundtrack

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Some potentially really cool stuff. Don't really understand how Netflix can afford to keep funding so many projects (because investors like growth no matter the profitability?), but I'll take it.

Also Gonzo's back?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they never fully went away, and have done some interesting stuff lately like 18if and Calamity of a Zombie Girl. their adaptation of Akibas Beat wasn't good but some animation highlights came out of it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

A pacific rim anime could be loving great, as long as it's like the first movie and not the second.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wait, there was an actual african samurai? where can i find out more about this, because that dude's story must be fascinating.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wait, there was an actual african samurai? where can i find out more about this, because that dude's story must be fascinating.
If I don't misremember my history, dude mobbed with the O.D.A.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Given the star power behind it, is Neo Yokio getting another season?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Try hit videogame Nioh.

its my fav yasuke look

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There isnt really a lot to say or know about yasuke cause frustratingly hes mostly a footnote in the records of the time and while enough records corroborate that he existed, and nobunaga enjoyed his company what happened to him after nobunagas death might be apocryphal at best, and his ultimate fate is still a total mystery.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The short of it is though that he was an african servant or slave of unkown origin to a Portuguese missionary touring Japan in the sengoku jidai and being the first big rear end black dude a lot of japanese had ever seen caused a real stir. At some point he left the service of the missionary and ended up at nobunagas court, who was pretty enamored with him and gave him money and a home and title, possibly even making him a swordbearer. Because of that its presumed he could speak japanese pretty well, like I said previously nobunaga did seem to really enjoy his company.

He stayed in Nobunaga's service until Honnouji and was there fighting till the end, and afterwards fought with Nobunagas heir until his downfall too, after that he disappears from the solid record, a later story says he was captured and the opposing general didnt want to kill him because he must be an animal, he definitely wasnt japanese anyways, and sent him to a temple to live.

Culturally hes mostly remembered because in the late 60s a japnese author decided to make a childrens book fictionalizing a life story for him and it was pretty popular, won some awards.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 8, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Given the star power behind it, is Neo Yokio getting another season?

there's going to be a Christmas special, any news of a second season would probably come around the release of that

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

they go to the trouble of making a recognizable gibson hummingbird but don't bother plugging the keyboard into any speakers or even using a real nord design. plus lol hummingbirds are like 3 g's just get a martin dreadnought for that much, gibsons are way overpriced. totally smh right now at these dumb anime girls

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

owl milk posted:

they go to the trouble of making a recognizable gibson hummingbird but don't bother plugging the keyboard into any speakers or even using a real nord design. plus lol hummingbirds are like 3 g's just get a martin dreadnought for that much, gibsons are way overpriced. totally smh right now at these dumb anime girls
Let's be fair: It's not like Gibson is currently in the best place financially speaking (glad CEO Fucknugget is out, though). I thought the Nord thing was weird, too.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
When is baki supposed to release for other territories?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Original EVA coming to Netflix spring 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13nSISwxrY4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Original EVA coming to Netflix spring 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13nSISwxrY4

Yeah, gently caress. Gonna watch Eva again.