Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

holy poo poo, gently caress catching American Eels. goddamn slippery fucks sweat jizz.

I caught those in the inter coastal of a house dock, at night. One wound itself so tight it’s body exploded when it got wrapped up in my dual hook bottom rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

King of Bees posted:

Hate those fuckers. Carry a big towel to hold them.

I had a pair of those textured gloves with rubbery palms and fingers. Didn't help much. It was also not long before I left, otherwise that fucker would have been cut up for flathead bait.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Three day weekend coming up and it's going to be cool out. Plan on one day of fishing at the new spot. This time I'll rig up two lines for static pompano fishing and go with a spinner with a powerbait mullet for the third line. Looking to cast for some flounder or reds if they're around. Could really go for some flounder fillets.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I'm hella jealous that you are allowed so many line. We're only allowed one line with up to two hooks in marine areas here. I don't know the exact rationale behind that, but I suspect it has to do with Puget Sound's proud tradition of overfishing and salmon poaching.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

So my son can’t stop talking about fishing again since we caught that dunk a few weeks ago (which is awesome). I am thinking of upgrading him from ultra-lovely “kids first fishing” to an appropriate upgrade for a 5 year old.

I have an old Diawa casting rod that the reel bearings for the baitcaster went out on it ages ago, and was considering a Zebco 33T micro to put on it. I learned on a Zebco some 30 years ago (and quickly graduated elsewhere). I could get one of those Crappie combo set ups, but I always read how the reel is the worst part of the combo.

He really wants to be independent and cast himself and I think that will be easier than a true spinning reel and definitely easier than a true baitcaster. I don’t think his dexterity is all there to hold the line with a finger, open the bale and toss it just right.

Any suggestions otherwise?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
When I was 12 I taught my 5 year old cousin how to cast a spinner. First I stood behind him and held it with him (like you would teach a kid to swing a bat or hit a football) down to the index finger and taught him to feel for the point release. He learned within a 2 day camping trip and we caught a bunch of pinfish in cut squid. Now, 20 years later, he’s a sailor and a better fisherman than I am and we meet up for fishing trips once or twice a year.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

hagie posted:

So my son can’t stop talking about fishing again since we caught that dunk a few weeks ago (which is awesome). I am thinking of upgrading him from ultra-lovely “kids first fishing” to an appropriate upgrade for a 5 year old.

I have an old Diawa casting rod that the reel bearings for the baitcaster went out on it ages ago, and was considering a Zebco 33T micro to put on it. I learned on a Zebco some 30 years ago (and quickly graduated elsewhere). I could get one of those Crappie combo set ups, but I always read how the reel is the worst part of the combo.

He really wants to be independent and cast himself and I think that will be easier than a true spinning reel and definitely easier than a true baitcaster. I don’t think his dexterity is all there to hold the line with a finger, open the bale and toss it just right.

Any suggestions otherwise?

He might surprise you, I learned to cast a spinning reel when I was 3.

You could get him one of those shimano reels with a trigger, I have had mine for over 30 years, it still works great, and they are cheap as hell. Lingcodkilla has one too and he will vouch for them.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I have 2 myself, and caught that dink on one.

May have him try

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

titties posted:

You could get him one of those shimano reels with a trigger, I have had mine for over 30 years, it still works great, and they are cheap as hell. Lingcodkilla has one too and he will vouch for them.

Yeah i got like 4. So cheap I give em away and buy new ones when needed. My oldest was a gift from my uncle over 25 years ago and it got hard loving use on the rocks in Santa Cruz.

titties
May 10, 2012

hagie posted:

I have 2 myself, and caught that dink on one.

May have him try

Oh, cool. If he can't manage it then yeah, a closed-face zebco is the traditional, time-tested choice for a squirt. Can't go wrong there (until it flies apart and most of the pieces land in the lake)

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Welp. Crappy onshore breeze totally washed out fishing today. Even with 8 ounces of lead the current was sweeping everything on to the beach. Went to an inlet and the only thing biting were crappy pinfish. Ill possibly go out tomorrow if I can convince the wife.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Snuck an hour in yesterday and got a few nice spotted sea trout in the 16-19" range we'll have for dinner tonight. Keeper size pompano keep evading me.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

King of Bees posted:

Snuck an hour in yesterday and got a few nice spotted sea trout in the 16-19" range we'll have for dinner tonight. Keeper size pompano keep evading me.

How do sea trout taste? My mind defaults to steelhead in terms of trout of the sea, but I don't believe that spotted sea trout are salmonids so it's probably way different.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

How do sea trout taste? My mind defaults to steelhead in terms of trout of the sea, but I don't believe that spotted sea trout are salmonids so it's probably way different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FOKhlFjq3c

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
It's a firm white fish. They hold up well for broiling or pan cooking.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
So not like real trout at all in color

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Sea trout tastes nothing like fresh water trout, it's one of my favorite fishes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Real trout is not good. Too delicate.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Get firm son.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

LingcodKilla posted:

Have you ever smoked it?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mukulu posted:

Have you ever smoked it?

I’ve had smoked trout. Never smoked it myself. Prefer wild salmon or albacore smoked.

Trout. Not as good as salmon.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

LingcodKilla posted:

I’ve had smoked trout. Never smoked it myself. Prefer wild salmon or albacore smoked.

Smoked mackerel and amberjack are drat good too.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

titties posted:

I had him out on the drive tossing on a ugly stik and old Shimano quickfire, and he was throwing passable for bobbers and bait. I think I’ll hand him down my Sensilite rig since it caught me tons of fish in my early years, and is just the length and reach he needs.

Plus I have a ton of handed to me gear to hand down to him in case he turns fickle and doesn’t want to anymore My parents and I dumped a bunch of money into t-ball because of how much he enjoyed it...at the time. Now he wants nothing to do with it.

titties
May 10, 2012

hagie posted:

I had him out on the drive tossing on a ugly stik and old Shimano quickfire, and he was throwing passable for bobbers and bait. I think I’ll hand him down my Sensilite rig since it caught me tons of fish in my early years, and is just the length and reach he needs.

Plus I have a ton of handed to me gear to hand down to him in case he turns fickle and doesn’t want to anymore My parents and I dumped a bunch of money into t-ball because of how much he enjoyed it...at the time. Now he wants nothing to do with it.

I take an old shakespeare microspin 4' rod with my r100 quickfire on it when I go panfishing and I can barely get it to cast 15 feet so he's probably outperforming me tbh

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

LingcodKilla posted:

You're not wrong.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Does anyone know of a site that has water turbidity levels? I'm beginning to think that's what's keeping me off the pompano. Every time I get a chance to go after them I end up with washed out water.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Even though the pomps are still off for us we're catching lots of good fish. Caught a very nice 21" black drum with some really stocky shoulders. Fought like a big ray, which I though it was when bringing him in. Big blues are are out fuckin up the tackle too. Hook benders.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’ve fished before but only on boats in the ocean. I want to try fishing a lake or river or something.

I’m thinking about getting;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F0KM8SW?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAJKC&th=1&psc=1

In 6’6’’ medium-heavy and;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JH8FHOO?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAJKD&th=1&psc=1

In 4500.

This is based off of the advice of https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-rod-reel-for-most-fishers/

It seems like that rod/reel will be able to handle whatever I throw at it. I’m in north central West Virginia. I know it’s not really the season to fish but here I am looking to buy stuff.

What else will I need to buy? After looking at some “what do I need to fish” lists this is what I’ve come up with as sort of the bare minimum.

Tackle box
Hooks size 6-10
Split shot
Bobber
Pliers
Knife
5 gallon bucket
Net
Ruler
Bait

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
If your near Morgantown there's all sorts of catfish in the mon. No poo poo hotdog chunks are great bait. Throw enough weight to get it to the bottom. If you're lucky you may catch a huge snapping turtle too!

Otherwise, the Cheet and Little Sandy have good bass fishing.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

King of Bees posted:

If your near Morgantown there's all sorts of catfish in the mon. No poo poo hotdog chunks are great bait. Throw enough weight to get it to the bottom. If you're lucky you may catch a huge snapping turtle too!

Otherwise, the Cheet and Little Sandy have good bass fishing.

I live in Morgantown! I’m probably going to post on Craigslist to get someone to teach me for $ since I don’t poo poo about poo poo. Unless you know someone in the area who teaches fishing?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Well I haven't been there in years and years but we used to go cat fishing at the mouth of Decker's Creek. It's probably all built up by now. It's the simplest fishing. Just a hook and a split shot. Put a chunk of hot dog on the hook and toss it into the river. I'd never eat anything out of there though.

For more fun get a few bass lures like a bucktail or a spinner and drive over Cooper's rock to Preston county and fish the cheat narrows. It's all boulder hopping and fishing pools. You'll get a lot of experience figuring out where bass lie in the currents.

That experience can transfer to trout fishing small streams when you're ready. You'll have to drive for trout streams though. The Carlisle PA area has somw world class trout ones due to the limestone beds.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
For gear that set up is more than capable. I have thousands of dollars in fly gear and tens of dollars in spin gear. I think the braid I use cost as much as some of the reels I have.

Your gear looks fine. I use a small backpack with a plastic divider box in it for tackle. I'd add some bullet sinkers and swivels too. Bucket, ruler, etc is if you're planning to keep the fish. Honestly I wouldn't keep anything in that area. But... It's a fine place to learn.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Got skunked this morning on a small local lake that was just stocked yesterday with 2-3 lb rainbows. same with the ~10 or so other bank anglers. wtf

I still haven't received so much as a nibble since I moved to this state 2 months ago. my situation is becoming dire, gentlemen.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
There’s always a trout farm

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Got skunked this morning on a small local lake that was just stocked yesterday with 2-3 lb rainbows. same with the ~10 or so other bank anglers. wtf

I still haven't received so much as a nibble since I moved to this state 2 months ago. my situation is becoming dire, gentlemen.

What's your presentation? Lots of the lakes in your new region have very tall weeds. I've had better luck in terms of quantity by fishing worms off the top, but I've caught larger fish off the bottom, albeit fewer of them.

If you haven't fished saltwater, try that also. There are several public piers to visit.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Just floating powerbait a few feet off an egg sinker. Didn't seem too weedy tbh. I heard some dudes talking that had been there yesterday and had luck. they were using the same sorta presentation I was, so I think it mostly came down to a bad day. or we were all wrong. or maybe the trout fresh off the farm were all hunkered down in a hole somewhere because they're new to the lake and don't know where the food is.

What would you fish for in the sound this time of year? I'm actually having a lot of trouble learning this kind of poo poo online. Not a lot of good info for newbies to the region.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The annual WDFW rulebook is your bible in terms of following what's in season, especially if you're thinking about salmon. There's no salmon season at the moment, but blackmouth Chinook season opens Jan 1. Also, you've got ten more days to catch a cabezon in Puget Sound if you want to keep it, but there are also usually lots of flatfish, sea perch, pile perch around at any given time. The perch fight like hell on light tackle. And if you like fishing at night, there are squid to be had.

You might look into some nearby rivers if you can't get off the lake bank. Even if the lake isn't very large, there are so many places for fish to be that aren't near you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Old trick I’ve heard for farmed trout is throwing pebbles on the water to “chum”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Old trick I’ve heard for farmed trout is throwing pebbles on the water to “chum”.

lmao, I bet that actually works. I've seen some videos of people cutting open stocked trout stomachs and pulling out loving rocks and and pinecones

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The annual WDFW rulebook is your bible in terms of following what's in season, especially if you're thinking about salmon. There's no salmon season at the moment, but blackmouth Chinook season opens Jan 1. Also, you've got ten more days to catch a cabezon in Puget Sound if you want to keep it, but there are also usually lots of flatfish, sea perch, pile perch around at any given time. The perch fight like hell on light tackle. And if you like fishing at night, there are squid to be had.

You might look into some nearby rivers if you can't get off the lake bank. Even if the lake isn't very large, there are so many places for fish to be that aren't near you.

I just picked up a bag of frozen shrimp and some pro-cure herring oil. I'll see whats around the pier tomorrow. Should I use a heavier leader for bottomfishing? I have 15lb braid mainline with a 12lb fluoro leader rigged up on my bass rod, but I could switch things out if there could be something with sharp teeth around

Also my original plan for today was to hit up a river that has some good reports of chum salmon from within the last week, but I got intimidated because salmon fishing seems very involved and I feel like a total outsider. Also I didn't have any clear line heavier than 12 lbs (solved this problem)