Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Gay Horney posted:

your Saurus warriors should be cheap don't you get upkeep reduction? Kroks Saurus warriors (not Spearmen) are better than longbeards, better than black orcs, better than grave guard. Use them a loving looooot

lol. takes a bit but you can get regular saurus down to 0 (yes zero) upkeep. just with his personal army, but still. it's crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
you'd keep one unit of spears around for dealing with large, if you weren't kroq-gar

you have ways of dealing with large

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

I drew the generic Admiral.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Amuys posted:

I drew the generic Admiral.

HAAAIL THE CHIBI, SHE'S A RISIN FROM THE WEEEEB

edit: i think its cute though, well done

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 13, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Deck Gunners don't replace zombie handgunners, but two or so in your firing line (the edges, for preference) is invaluable IMO. They're basically snipers for focusing down particularly dangerous poo poo, so heavy cavalry, monsters, etc; while your handgunners shoot down everything else. Shieldbreaker on their shots lets them combo with zombie handgunners against Swordmasters and whatever has "shields" too.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

yeah deck gunners are vital against factions with big monsters, they take down mammoths and dragons pretty well.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I wish I could figure out what handcannons are used for though.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Ain't nothing like routing a dragon before it even engages your front line.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The infamy system is neat and I hope modders find a way to adapt it to existing races.

For instance, Empire could have a Legitimacy leaderboard that has you trying to top the other elector counts to get them to join you. One of their settlement conquest options could be to immediately hand over the territory to an ally to get more Legitimacy.

Dwarves could get a badly needed overhaul of their grudge system which might require you to strike out grudges the other Clans have.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

The mechanic I like most is loyalty gains being a lord specific goal. Although a lot of them are weird and arbitrary. I'd love to see it expanded actually to a whole thing where your skaven boys get their own missions with rewards like upkeep benefits and stuff for completing their own goals such as 'wipe out this allied factions army' or 'raid near your capital for two turns' just to kind've highlight how much of a pack of backstabbing footshooting morons they are.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 13, 2018

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Dwarves could get a badly needed overhaul of their grudge system which might require you to strike out grudges the other Clans have.

Maybe have each grudge be a randomly generated battle against a random enemy race with the difficulty scaling to how large/powerful the clan is. If you win, you can confederate them.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'd be down for that but only if the randomly generated enemies were memestacks with very unorthodox compositions such as three full armies of skavenslaves or a hill full of artillary pieces that prey on your dwarfy inability to move.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

1. Kill your lizardman neighbor. His landmark is too good to ignore (and it's really hard to confed him)

2. Hold your nose and take the province Queek starts in. Yeah it's unsuitable, but it's just two provinces.

After that, I hope you like fighting skeletons A LOT

taking over the queek province was the final hump.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Seriously though, the Empire needs to be the next faction overhauled.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
It would be silly not to add the landship now

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Krazyface posted:

Seriously though, the Empire needs to be the next faction overhauled.

It's kind of ludicrous how the Empire has gone the longest of any faction without any sort of major mechanics overhauls, honestly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Empire is always the best and coolest race because no one until Noctilus had a fabulous floppy hat. The closest thing was Morathi's hair, I guess.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Y'all wanna see a Pyrrhic Victory?

Gotta say, this lad changed my tune on gunnery wights pretty fuckin quickly.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there a list of traits you get for killing the Vampirate LLs, and for killing Lokhir?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 13, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I probably should stop running two Gunnery Wights, they're not like Dwarf Master Engineers or Skaven Warlock Engineers in that they can stack big bonuses to ranged units just by being in the army. A Vampire Captain for spells or a free slot for RoRs (hello flamethrower Necrofex) or a Bloated Corpse is probably the better idea.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

One gunnywight is usually sufficient. Put 'em on a crab and they can fite poo poo in most contexts

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Re: deck gunners

I’m running 6 handgunners and they took down the star dragon from the second sea shanty verse fight before it could hit the line. Later, I did the norsca fight with 3 feral mammoths and a giant, each took ~2 volleys to delete. Are deck gunners really better than that? They certainly seem good, but I’m thinking they’re only worth it for shield breaker against stuff like lothern sea guard.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Deck Gunners have a crazy range. They don't have the super-impressive PRESS DELETE that you can get with handgun mobs, but they're remarkably consistent and they're gonna usually kill more because they've been blasting away for a lot longer.

FWIW I tend to pack both in each stack, if I can. Gunners get higher kill counts, but handgun mobs can ruin the morale of charging units and force routs a lot more effectively.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Deck gunners have a lot more range, they’re basically more mobile artillery and vital for fighting Wood Elves.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Chakan posted:

Re: deck gunners

I’m running 6 handgunners and they took down the star dragon from the second sea shanty verse fight before it could hit the line. Later, I did the norsca fight with 3 feral mammoths and a giant, each took ~2 volleys to delete. Are deck gunners really better than that? They certainly seem good, but I’m thinking they’re only worth it for shield breaker against stuff like lothern sea guard.

Put it this way: by the time a large target gets in range of your zombie handgunners, an accompanying Deck Gunner squad will have taken off maybe a third or so of its health, making your handgun volleys much more decisive and leading to either quicker routs and or even kills. It's not a matter of replacing, but complementing the gunline.

Also a good thing about Deck Gunners is that they won't consume as much space as a zombie mob, meaning that you get a fair bit more flexibility in positioning. In addition, their fantastic range really does make them a perfect fit for your flanks, since they can shoot incoming cavalry far earlier than a handgun mob can (and their guns are pretty much built for killing big targets thanks to high base damage). Afterwards, they can easily sweep fire to the front without moving too much.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Put it this way: by the time a large target gets in range of your zombie handgunners, an accompanying Deck Gunner squad will have taken off maybe a third or so of its health, making your handgun volleys much more decisive and leading to either quicker routs and or even kills. It's not a matter of replacing, but complementing the gunline.
Yeah this is it. Deck Gunners chip away slowly, so anything that gets to you is hurting bad; handguns then come in and shatter their morale while they're trying to charge. I've been running 2/3 Gunners/Handgun Mobs and it's working pretty well.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

In case anyone didn't know, you can disable skirmish mode by default in the Options menu

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Kanos posted:

It's kind of ludicrous how the Empire has gone the longest of any faction without any sort of major mechanics overhauls, honestly.

I feel like they are saving Empire for last or until they know they have something really solid considering most players play Empire, something that is going to last you know.

Personally I'm hoping the next big patch will contain Greenskins overhaul, they are just at the very bottom right now. The waaaghs, their tech, it all just pales when you compare to the new stuff.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I want to finally win a vortex campaign, and I also wanna play as high elves, because being a big economic powerhouse seems neat. I played 10 turns as each LL, and I now report back.

TYRION
pros:
lothern seems like a good rear end start, and ulthuan's provinces all look rad
he tanked 4 units of bleakswords on his own
cons:
it feels weird to murder all the elves in order to save them
he is an extremely generic sword man

TECLIS
pros:
only lv 1 wizard i've seen who can contribute a fuckton
i get to team up with my pal khalida
cons:
his phoenix sucks
i don't get those juicy ulthuan landmarks

ALARIELLE
pros:
inner ulthuan seems like the most defensible place in the universe
i get to play with wood elf units without owning them
cons:
it feels REALLY weird to have the queen of elves murder her way through the island
my only hostile neighbour is all unpleasant terrain

ALITH
pros:
i have never done anything in naggaroth so it's All New
i like the idea of skirmisher-based armies
cons:
too dark and edgy to live on ulthuan
in practice skirmish armies keep on being killed when they run in front of 2000 archers

Please help me decide. I am weak of will and mind.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
If you want to win with the least amount of hassle, Tyrion. Also because one of the cons you listed is actually a pro (murdering elves).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elswyyr posted:

I want to finally win a vortex campaign, and I also wanna play as high elves, because being a big economic powerhouse seems neat. I played 10 turns as each LL, and I now report back.

[...]

Please help me decide. I am weak of will and mind.

Elf on Elf violence is a known problem (or not if you're a dawi fan I guess). But you don't need to engage in too much of it if you don't want to. Pick Tyrion, his opinion bonus with fellow high elves really helps. You only need to murder those high elves that are immediately hostile to you (Caledor first and foremost, if only for the waystone fragments.), peace out all the rest. Remember that doing Vortex rituals gives you an increasing opinion bonus with other members of your race. Combined with Tyrion's natural bonus, it's not that difficult to make most other high elves love you. Then just confederate them one after another. Keep yourself busy with killing dark elves on Ulthuan. And be proactive about the Vampirate threat, don't forget that the Norscans will come for you at some point, and consider sacking parts of Naggaroth if you have time. It's better to be relatively compact when doing Vortex rituals, so don't bother expanding outside of Ulthuan too much. Also, you can make mad cash through trading, consider letting some of the minor high elves live to serve as trading partners and meat shields.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Since we're talking about High Elves, specifically Alarielle (i want to try a game with her), any suggestions on a effective army comp with her? I tried to do what i do with Dark Elves currently which is have a strong frontline of like 6-9 whip sisters with massed Shades behind them taking out exposed targets and targeting those that break to ensure they stay gone, then sprinkle with some anti large, maybe some heroes.

But this didn't seem to work as well in testing with Alarielle cause the shield guys with spears & bows didn't have the staying power or the damage potential of the whip sisters and the magical arrow fellows that Alarielle gets can't seem to compete with Shades, plus no "casualties? well now im REALLY ANGRY" skill to break the stalemates.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Doing a Vlad run to check out the new blood smooches, and Sartosa has apparently decided to become a land-nation by slowly eating up the Border Prince territories. I didn't even notice it happening till I saw a Mourngul Haunter lurking around a Border Prince-repurposed dwarf hold. The entire campaign has been pretty fun so far actually, the Greenskins own the entirety of the Badlands and a slice of the Empire so I'm trying to decide if I want to get into a fight with that juggernaut of green now or after I devour The Empire's lands. Maybe I can convince a fine peg-legged lady to help me out.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dongattack posted:

Since we're talking about High Elves, specifically Alarielle (i want to try a game with her), any suggestions on a effective army comp with her? I tried to do what i do with Dark Elves currently which is have a strong frontline of like 6-9 whip sisters with massed Shades behind them taking out exposed targets and targeting those that break to ensure they stay gone, then sprinkle with some anti large, maybe some heroes.

But this didn't seem to work as well in testing with Alarielle cause the shield guys with spears & bows didn't have the staying power or the damage potential of the whip sisters and the magical arrow fellows that Alarielle gets can't seem to compete with Shades, plus no "casualties? well now im REALLY ANGRY" skill to break the stalemates.

Sisters of Avelorn are absolutely brutal. What I did was work my way up to having a few treekin + assorted infantry (eventually elite) for a front line with Sisters in back and some cav or whatever. Treekin are super tanky and good targets for Alarielle's healing spells, plus there's enough space between them you can have infantry fighting alongside. The only drawback to this is the arrows from Sisters dunk on treekin really hard, so be careful of friendly fire.

You'll want at least one Handmaiden for the ranged buffs but the basic end-game goal is treekin + elite infantry front line backed by Sisters probably with a bolt thrower, a couple cav, a dragon, whatevs. You're right that Sea Guard aren't very killy, they mostly exist to be supremely annoying when the AI puts ten of them in a stack. I've found one on each flank as counter-flankers to be pretty effective, they can shoot up anything trying to sneak around to your rear (especially light cav) and eat a charge ok.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Dongattack posted:

Seaguard are a worse frontline that basic spearmen. They'll get a few shots off as an enemy closes, but once they're in melee they're equal to spearmen except they only have two thirds of the units (and hence health).

Can be funny to just to have a full stack pouring out arrows though.

The sisters of averlorn are great versus high armour does, preferably with no shields. They do good ap damage.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what happened to my save games? did anyone else's disappear?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've been seeing a huge shakeup of territory control since the new factions came out. Kemmler also manages to be a pretty huge pest in his starting region too.

While it is unique to them right now, I think the 'boat' mechanic should also be given to a few other Lords, albeit more limited (only they get it):

-Lokhir should definitely get one, since it makes no sense to have a Black Ark tagging along, he should BE the Black Ark assuming he isn't already.

-Wulfrik the Wanderer should get Seafang as a 'horde' ship as well, to encourage the player to go after the various capitals to get global bonuses via research unlocks.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Panfilo posted:

I've been seeing a huge shakeup of territory control since the new factions came out. Kemmler also manages to be a pretty huge pest in his starting region too.

While it is unique to them right now, I think the 'boat' mechanic should also be given to a few other Lords, albeit more limited (only they get it):

-Lokhir should definitely get one, since it makes no sense to have a Black Ark tagging along, he should BE the Black Ark assuming he isn't already.

-Wulfrik the Wanderer should get Seafang as a 'horde' ship as well, to encourage the player to go after the various capitals to get global bonuses via research unlocks.

I'd love to see it as a mechanic for Lokhir, Wulfrik, and maybe even Alberic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Elswyyr posted:

TYRION
it feels weird to murder all the elves in order to save them

ALARIELLE
it feels REALLY weird to have the queen of elves murder her way through the island

If it helps, think of the High Elves like Greek city-states. They are theoretically united against foreign threats, but if there is nothing directly threatening Ulthuan, they will immediately revert to their internal bickering and line up poking each other with spears in an orderly and polite way.