Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well, what did she expect using a katana as a toothbrush?

e: What a terrible post to start a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm a little disappointed in that a lot of the Mission Stories can't be set up and let happen from afar, you have to be the one to do things. Like in Colombia, you can't poison and glue together the cocaine and let the Bohemian deliver it, you have to take his place. Or in Sgail, you can't just sabotage the hydraulics for the effigy, you have to become the MoC and light it yourself. The latter was a huge bummer for my SASO run because sabotaging the hydraulics isn't that hard, just a matter of taking out the engineers next to it, and it meant I had to find another way to kill Zoe.

Binbag McGraw
Feb 27, 2006

Jim, stop dancing, this is serious
I love this game so much. 20 hours in and I've still not even touched the last mission.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet as I've been avoiding spoilers as much as I can, in Whittleton Creek point a gun at the big painting in the old man's basement.

It's as if they follow you around the room!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Kanfy posted:

I 100%'d Absolution, a real hitman isn't afraid of a bit of dirty work.

I was pretty close to 100 percenting Absolution until I realized how unfun it was. Absolution's story and setting were trash but the biggest failing of Absolution was it feeling like a chore to play. Especially bits like Blackwater Roof where the challenges felt like you were pulling your own teeth. Around that point, I thought "why the gently caress am I doing this? I'm not getting anything for it". I will likely never play Absolution again.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

As one of the handful of people who kind of liked Kane and Lynch, I'm not exactly sad to see them go. The first game was okay at best; the second is a spiteful, hateful piece of trash but it's got a cool aesthetic. :shrug: I'd totally pay for Hitman DLC that lets me kill them though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I got Absolution for free when it was the PSN game of the month or whatever and I didn't even bother finishing it. I wouldn't mind seeing the Court level being reimagined as a real Hitman level though, that at least was an unique idea.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Here’s this beautiful new map on a seashore while a storm rolls in! Enjoy it, 47, now go do basic training again. :v: I understand why they put it in but perhaps not the most even flow.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I unapologetically love Hitman Absolution. While I loved Blood Money too, I appreciated the change in style.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bogart posted:

Here’s this beautiful new map on a seashore while a storm rolls in! Enjoy it, 47, now go do basic training again. :v: I understand why they put it in but perhaps not the most even flow.

Haha, I had the same thought. I wish it had opened with a fancy menu choice of "if you want to do basic training, start here. if you want to continue the story, start here." - but either way.

I am impressed with this game and I love it and I haven't even done anything more than kill Ritter again and do the opening beach house thing and aaa I love this game, the new mechanics feel fluid and fun and I got to hit someone in the head with a can of spaghetti sauce.

Also! You can buy the expansion pass standalone now! Good, I'll pick that up later!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

StrixNebulosa posted:

Haha, I had the same thought. I wish it had opened with a fancy menu choice of "if you want to do basic training, start here. if you want to continue the story, start here." - but either way.

I'm pretty sure there's an option to skip that. I'd be surprised if they changed that between early access and full release.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bogart posted:

Yeah I really hope that map gets the new mission treatment because it's a cool little setup and could use some actual NPCs and contract mode and all that stuff

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gold edition is the way to go if I'm going to inevitably buy the expansions anyway right?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I unapologetically love Hitman Absolution. While I loved Blood Money too, I appreciated the change in style.

I would give Absolution more of a pass if it was actually fun. A game can be good even if it's got a trash story but poo poo like the orphanage, where everyone is wearing a mask yet are still able to recognize that you aren't one of them? Who thought that was a good idea? Linear levels with only one way to get through? The only thing I really miss about Absolution was the point-shooting. That was legitimately fun.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Does the advanced training mission go over new stuff like using mirrors or is it not worth bothering if I'm already a season 1 assassin-ista.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It goes more into depth regarding the general mechanics than it did at Season 1 launch but it has not been updated for Season 2's mechanics, no.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Does the advanced training mission go over new stuff like using mirrors or is it not worth bothering if I'm already a season 1 assassin-ista.

No. It's pretty much exactly the same except with foliage to hide in.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

fadam posted:

I'm kind of a Hitman noob (I did a few levels in Hitman 2016 and one ET). How do you guys start with a brand new map? Do you play with stories on? Do you look at challenges and try to complete them? Or do you just sort of walk around and figure out what to do blind?
I literally just start walking and see what happens. I avoid the mission stories at all cost. I'll do them on later runs for the challenge(s)/ item rewards.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
poo poo y'all made a lot of posts. I'm only responding to the ones from two pages back, so if anyone responded to these beforehand that's on me and that's on my nonexistent children.

Cythereal posted:

Though it occurs to me that one of the obstacles with a female assassin option is that women in these games have much more diverse appearances than men. Tall, muscular, pasty white dudes who are either bald or wear hats are everywhere, but female NPCs have much more variety in their builds, skin tones, hair colors, and hair styles. The hotel manager lady in Bangkok springs immediately to mind as a good disguise for a hitwoman on that level, but it's hard to imagine the same woman posing as her and also say one of the runway models in Paris or staff girls in Sapienza.

I mean, Hitman was able to pass disguise as a Shiekh, so I don't know how much diversity of appearances really is a hindrance.

AceOfFlames posted:

I don’t think the Maelstrom is randomized. He looks the same in both my playthroughs and all the videos I have seen. He does look a lot more NPC like than other targets in the game though (especially if you avoid the lover Mission Story: in that he puts on a unique outfit but in the others, he’s literally in jeans and a t-shirt)

Nah, man. I've had runthroughs where he's sporting a full beard and some crummy clothes, and ones where he's dressed in spotless polos and khakis looking like he just walked out of a best buy. Some things stay the same, like his facial scars and his booming, deep and erotic voice. But he definitely changes appearance.

Pirate Jet posted:

Hitman 2016/2018’s dialogue really is super good even if I couldn’t care less about the main plot. It’s an old gimmick but I still love it every single time you have a target in a precarious position where you can kill them with a single button press and they deliver the perfectly ironic line.

“You have no idea what it’s like to have thousands of people out to kill yoSNAP”

My favorite line so far is in Miami, where I'm disguised as the medic giving a "revitalization" to Sierra Knox, and the dialogue goes something like this

SK: So what's in this thing?

47: [Lists off a bunch of poisonous ingredients]

SK: Aren't those poisonous? Should I be worried?

47: I'm not.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I was confused by the carry-over from 2016 to this new one. I don't get to keep my Santa and Vampire magician suits, huh? I pretty much did everything there was to do the first time around. Silent suit only assassin and all those variations. I don't think I have it in me to do it all again for the free Legacy pack. It's not a huge complaint, I got a whole new game to play, but eeeeh, I wish those accomplishments were already there.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

UnknownMercenary posted:

As one of the handful of people who kind of liked Kane and Lynch, I'm not exactly sad to see them go. The first game was okay at best; the second is a spiteful, hateful piece of trash but it's got a cool aesthetic. :shrug: I'd totally pay for Hitman DLC that lets me kill them though.

Absolution let you kill them with a nuclear bomb, though 47 probably didn't survive that one himself either. :v:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

goferchan posted:

The Hero feat in Columbia is really funny, I wish every map had a do-gooder checklist like that

Honestly, I would play a version of these levels where 47 just puts on some worker's disguise, then goes through the level doing the job and everyone being impressed at what a good job he does, and then the triumphant music starts playing and the exit mission icon pops up.

nexus6 posted:

You mean 'Pay extra to beta test' edition? Oh who am I kidding, I broke my own "don't buy new games on launch day" rule.

I did this as well and I maintain this was a sound financial decision no matter what my brain says because oh god I love it so much. Plus I get two later on expansions, so it's sort of like they're still doing the episodic thing and I just signed up early.

UnknownMercenary posted:

I like Kane and Lynch 2 because I feel like it conveyed exactly what it would be like if you lived like the average third person shooter protagonist in any place approximating the real world--you're a terrible person with thin justifications for the harm you inflict, innocent people die a lot as collateral damage, your friends are insane sociopaths, and you make a string of increasingly poor decisions with unsatisfying conclusions.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What are the new mechanics and gear in this- grass, crowd blending, mirrors, suitcase?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lareine posted:

I would give Absolution more of a pass if it was actually fun. A game can be good even if it's got a trash story but poo poo like the orphanage, where everyone is wearing a mask yet are still able to recognize that you aren't one of them? Who thought that was a good idea? Linear levels with only one way to get through? The only thing I really miss about Absolution was the point-shooting. That was legitimately fun.

I actually liked the improvements that it brought to the series. It had gunplay that didn't feel like actual poo poo, a faster sneak speed, cover shooting. It pushed a lot of the right buttons for me at the time. Some of the levels oozed atmosphere for me.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
The only problem I had with it was that you could not be seen at all. Like ever.
Sometimes it made sense, but mostly. Never.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

In what definitely shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, Hitman 2's first week of sales on Steam are apparently pretty dire

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The game came out today

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It also got cracked 4 days ago, unfortunately.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think my favorite thing about the opening level is how horror movie my kill in it was.

The lady come home, makes a call, goes to bed after a long and eventful day, and finds the sink running. While her partner/fuckbuddy was in the other room getting undressed, she checks on the sink and bends down and gets knifed, then stuffed in a closet.

Her partner realizes she's not there, and can't find her. Meanwhile, the killer is long gone...

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
drat why do you have to make your big anti drm stand on the independently produced game and not on call of duty or whatever

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I;m getting some hitching/stuttering issues. Probably the answer is "my computer is junk" but it did play 2016 well enough. Any specific things to fix?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The crack doesn't work.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That crack was worthless, it broke once you got past the prologue. A second crack was released yesterday but that one breaks after Miami.

Denuvo is designed to be annoying like that, getting the cracked game to run doesn't necessarily mean it can be completed.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

StashAugustine posted:

I;m getting some hitching/stuttering issues. Probably the answer is "my computer is junk" but it did play 2016 well enough. Any specific things to fix?

watch the digital foundry video for Hitman 2, it's like 20 minutes but there's always a ton of good info for things like this

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think my favorite thing about the opening level is how horror movie my kill in it was.

The lady come home, makes a call, goes to bed after a long and eventful day, and finds the sink running. While her partner/fuckbuddy was in the other room getting undressed, she checks on the sink and bends down and gets knifed, then stuffed in a closet.

Her partner realizes she's not there, and can't find her. Meanwhile, the killer is long gone...

I suspect we will see a LOT of horror movie tribute videos of Hawke’s Bay.

“Starring Agent 47 as The Shape.”

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

StashAugustine posted:

What are the new mechanics and gear in this- grass, crowd blending, mirrors, suitcase?

The biggest new hurdle added imo is that if you're trespassing and a camera sees you, it counts as being spotted and guards will start searching the area for you.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

StashAugustine posted:

Hard to say obviously but at least one of my problems was the game's much higher memory consumption, 8GB of DDR3 doesn't seem to cut it anymore (or at least didn't for me).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Lareine posted:

The crack doesn't work.
You’ve got to take it easy on that poo poo

Meanwhile half the time I load a game it gets stuck on 10% of the loading bar and I have to force quit. The IOI logo sequence is only two seconds longer than it needs to be but Jesus does it drag anyway

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

repiv posted:

That crack was worthless, it broke once you got past the prologue. A second crack was released yesterday but that one breaks after Miami.

Denuvo is designed to be annoying like that, getting the cracked game to run doesn't necessarily mean it can be completed.

And people wonder why they make games always-online. God, I hate pirating.

Apparently, based on this ars technica article, the important time window for anti-cracking measures is the first 14 days, when a game has the majority of its sales. So if the apparent rate of this cracking is anything to note, the DRM should keep sales relatively secure. Although that's assuming cracking would even have a significant impact on sales, which I don't really know the data on.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Arist posted:

The biggest new hurdle added imo is that if you're trespassing and a camera sees you, it counts as being spotted and guards will start searching the area for you.

On this, I just want to clarify - will suspicion be raised/an SA run be compromised if I shoot out a camera? Assuming silenced weapon, no people in the near vicinity etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If no one sees you, all that might happen is they might hear the bullet impact and freak out a bit for like thirty seconds. Other than that, no penalty. It won't ruin your SA runs.