Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Model 3 took 2nd at Global Time Attack in Street class over the weekend only to be DQ'd by protest for not running on an approved fuel. The future is here, as they say.

Haha, what a bunch of whiny bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BlackMK4 posted:

Model 3 took 2nd at Global Time Attack in Street class over the weekend only to be DQ'd by protest for not running on an approved fuel. The future is here, as they say.
Whomever protested is a whiny crybaby.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
i need to get off the internet today because i can't type the correct thing, so here, have a video instead

correct words: enthusiast awd, fastest, dq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Gm_Xv3f3Y

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The rules state they can’t run exotic fuel. But the definition of fuel doesn’t include electricity. They need to protest the ruling.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lewis will win tomorrow, #blessed

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BlackMK4 posted:

Sasha Anis took a Model 3 to Global Time Attack in Enthusiast AWD class earlier this week only to be DQ'd by protest for not running on an approved fuel. The future is here, as they say.
Car was basically stock other than suspension and did a 59 at BW13CW.

The gently caress is wrong with the officals. That is clearly wrong and someone needs an uppercut.

ratbert90 posted:

The rules state they can’t run exotic fuel. But the definition of fuel doesn’t include electricity. They need to protest the ruling.

Electricity is under FIA rules a commerically availible fuel.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

CannonFodder posted:

They only want to sell Camaros, Silverados, and anything from the Buick Caddy GMC lines.

Found someone to sell me one! Negotiation started about $3k under MSRP, then I got the Costco $500 discount, Uncle Sam’s $7,500 credit next year and since it’s through an “executive” Costco account, something like a $800 refund check coming at the end of the year. All at 72 months, zero percent interest. :radcat:

Currently getting “250+ mpg” (no gas usage so far) still can’t figure out how to tell the damned thing to chill out on the overly aggressive heating crap. It’s bitching me out for running the heat while I’m telling the system to run fan-only. Also gently caress Chevy for making the remote lock/unlock stuff $10 a month and the back-end OnStar stuff for $35 (hahahaha no.) It’s free for everyone else, but whatever, that’s capitalism.

The Chevy Volt is a good car, A++ would buy again.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 12, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Volt is a little weird in that setting the HVAC to fan-only is more of a kind suggestion to the computer than an actual on/off setting. The heaters and AC will still run as required to keep the battery happy.

My best advice is to just drive it, and let the computer do it’s thing. It’s really, really good at doing its thing with no intervention.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.thedrive.com/news/24853/volkswagen-ceo-we-have-sourced-batteries-for-50-million-electric-cars

Volkswagen CEO: 'We Have Sourced Batteries for 50 Million Electric Cars'

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

I dunno man that's pretty expensive :downs:

E: nvm apparently that's an actual metric in the EV industry???

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ripoff posted:

Found someone to sell me one! Negotiation started about $3k under MSRP, then I got the Costco $500 discount, Uncle Sam’s $7,500 credit next year and since it’s through an “executive” Costco account, something like a $800 refund check coming at the end of the year. All at 72 months, zero percent interest. :radcat:

Currently getting “250+ mpg” (no gas usage so far) still can’t figure out how to tell the damned thing to chill out on the overly aggressive heating crap. It’s bitching me out for running the heat while I’m telling the system to run fan-only. Also gently caress Chevy for making the remote lock/unlock stuff $10 a month and the back-end OnStar stuff for $35 (hahahaha no.) It’s free for everyone else, but whatever, that’s capitalism.

The Chevy Volt is a good car, A++ would buy again.

The heating controls are a bit weird... Here is what it boils down to:

By default the car has a auto-defog feature enabled. When this is enabled, the car will automatically run the heater or AC depending on detected humidity or temperature in the cabin. It is kinda annoying in that you can't really get a FAN ONLY mode with it enabled, but it can be disabled. Go to Settings, Vehicle Settings, Climate and Air Quality, and un-check Auto Defog.

If the ECO or MAX buttons are lit, then the heater or AC will run depending on your temperature setting. If you want true FAN ONLY firstly make sure Auto-Defogis disabled, and then turning off either the ECO or MAX button off will put it into FAN only mode. If you have MAX DEFROST selected, the AC compressor will run till it reaches about 35 or so outside.

Also by default, the car will run the gas engine once the outside temperature dips below 31°F. On 16-18 models, you can change this to "Deferred" which means it then waits until 14°F. 2019 models have a setting to disable it entirely. To change this setting: Vehicle Settings > Climate and Air Quality > Engine Assisted Heating. Set it to Deferred. If you have a 2019, then you will have additional options here. If you plan on using pre-condition with the car in a enclosed space, under the same menu heading is an option for "Engine Assisted Heating Plugged In" Set this to OFF. Otherwise the engine could be started if you start a pre-condition while the car is plugged in.

I should note, that the settings I described are only available if the car is turned on.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

stevewm posted:

The heating controls are a bit weird... Here is what it boils down to:

Thanks! The manual did let me know that having the controls in “Eco” or “Max” would call upon the heater or AC but seemed to imply that setting it to “fan only” was the only thing necessary to keep the system from calling upon the A/C compressor or heating (does the Volt use a heat pump or resistance element?). I never linked the auto defrost settings back to it in my mind, I’ll give it a try later today.

Also, thanks for the info about the deferred heating assist setting as well. Mine’s a 2018, but I’m not concerned about the gas motor kicking in at 19 degrees Fahrenheit; I appreciate the EV being an EV but days like that are so rare in GA I’m certain to have the fuel or engine maintenance modes kick in long before I have to be concerned about a string of bitter cold days killing my gas mileage record.

MrYenko posted:

My best advice is to just drive it, and let the computer do it’s thing. It’s really, really good at doing its thing with no intervention.

Goddamnit how else am I gonna get my donut graph to show 100% green and get stupid huge MPGe ratings to show off from my “glorified Chevy Cruze”? :argh:

Seriously though, good advice. I’ll probably get over the EV-only thing after the first couple months and will forget about it soon enough. Goddamn though, this is a good car, and it’s a real shame they aren’t selling like hotcakes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
And Im sure none of those settings are available through the app.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

And Im sure none of those settings are available through the app.

The On-Star app and system really is terrible... At least for the Volt, it lets you do the following: honk the horn, flash the lights, precondition the car, view charging status, and change charging settings from immediate to delayed. Any command issued to the car takes 1-2 minutes to actually go through, and it has bouts lasting several days where any actions will just fail repeatedly. I use it for pre-conditioning a lot during the winter, though I could just as easily do it via the key fob as well. But at least with the app you know the car got the command. I would never pay for it through.

Up until 2017 they used to include OnStar Basic for free for 5 years on new Volts and Bolts. Basic gets you the keyfob functions and status reports. Starting with the 2018 model year, they got rid of that and made it $10 with only a small 3 month trial period. I am grandfathered in on Basic and have it until 2023. It is useful to note, even if you buy a used 2016 or 2017 OnStar Basic still applies! It is supposed to be transferable and goes along with the car and you are eligible to get the remaining time.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

stevewm posted:

Up until 2017 they used to include OnStar Basic for free for 5 years on new Volts and Bolts. Basic gets you the keyfob functions and status reports. Starting with the 2018 model year, they got rid of that and made it $10 with only a small 3 month trial period.

Oddly enough, I got an email from OnStar today claiming that I get 5 years of the free Key Fob access regardless of whether or not I purchase the OnStar package, which is exactly the opposite of what they told me on the OnStar setup call. :confused:

That said, the app is kinda lovely (though it is nice to see your charge status remotely and the aforementioned preconditioning) so I really wont fight it too hard if they do end up taking it away at the end of the trial. It’s cute but not at $150 a year up front.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ripoff posted:

Oddly enough, I got an email from OnStar today claiming that I get 5 years of the free Key Fob access regardless of whether or not I purchase the OnStar package, which is exactly the opposite of what they told me on the OnStar setup call. :confused:

That said, the app is kinda lovely (though it is nice to see your charge status remotely and the aforementioned preconditioning) so I really wont fight it too hard if they do end up taking it away at the end of the trial. It’s cute but not at $150 a year up front.

If they are telling you it is available, then do this: Cancel your service on the On-Star website. It should notify you that your account is being changed to OnStar Basic.

Or do the method I did.. Remove all payment methods from the OnStar website, when the trial runs out, it should revert to Basic automatically.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I saw a new Nissan Leaf on the road today. I was pretty surprised! It looked like a normal hatchback, even a decent looking hatchback! Not fish-like at all!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Finger Prince posted:

I saw a new Nissan Leaf on the road today. I was pretty surprised! It looked like a normal hatchback, even a decent looking hatchback! Not fish-like at all!

On the other side of the coin is the Honda Clarity. I saw one of the first time last night and the rear quarter view of it looks straight up weird.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

On the other side of the coin is the Honda Clarity. I saw one of the first time last night and the rear quarter view of it looks straight up weird.

I saw one of those in California for the first time when I was there the other week. At first I thought it was the fuel cell vehicle because I didn't realize they made a PHEV. I thought, hey here's some competition for the Volt, I wonder why nobody talks about them? I thought that weird rear end was done to give it a useful Prius style hatch...

loving noooooooope! It's got a smaller boot hole than a Volvo C30 ffs!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Finger Prince posted:

The LG batteried leaf should be the equivalent of an EV only Volt with Bolt range.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I test drove a Leaf and Bolt this weekend. I really disliked the Bolt and bought the Leaf.

/personal opinions ahead. Do not flame.

Leaf Pros:
-Pro Pilot Assist is really awesome. I drove the Florida Turnpike in Miami at 5pm, a certain recipe for road rage. With Pro Pilot, it was an easy ride. I set the car to 60, and it maintained perfect following distance. When traffic jams slowed us to 10mph, the car slowed to the right speed, then sped up when traffic started moving. Twice someone cut in front of me then hit the brakes. Both times the Leaf hit the brakes just as it should.

-The interior is really nice. We got the SL trim.

-It looks like a sporty hatch. I traded in a Mazda3 hatch, and the Leaf is about the same size.

-The tires grip well. I floored the accelerator and heard a little squeal but felt no shimmy.

-The audio system is really good.

-The price is great. I got a fully-loaded top-trim Leaf for the price of a baseline, no-options Bolt. Also, Nissan gives a $7,500 rebate when leasing. So you get the tax credit either way.

Bolt Pros:
-It has much longer range.

That's it. Everything else about the Bolt was worse. The cloth seats were bland and uncomfortable. The interior looked cheap, like a bad rental car. The display was pretty but not as user-friendly as the Leaf's. When I accelerated hard, the tires squealed horribly, and the front end shimmied dangerously.

If I needed to drive 300+ miles in a day, I guess I'd get the Bolt. But any less than that, and I recommend the Leaf.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, I see that. I'd struggle to buy a Leaf now due to rapidgate, but then I'm more concerned about longer trips than day to day commuting. If I spent an hour in traffic every day, I would never consider anything, electric or fossil, that came without adaptive cruise control as minimum, preferably a lanekeeper/autopilot-variant as well. The list of EV+ACC is starting to get pretty long: Ioniq, Kona, e-Niro, e-Golf, Tesla S, X and 3, Leaf, i-Pace, BMW i3, more?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Volt (but not Bolt because GM).

The Model 3 I ordered a month ago was scheduled for delivery next week, which I was happy about as it fitted well with work scheduling. Tesla contacted me over the weekend and basically said take it by tuesday (today) or we'll give it to someone else. So, I have an at-home delivery scheduled for tonight that the guy on the phone said should take less than 20 minutes. 50A outlet is ready, delivery checklist is printed. It'll be interesting..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i'm not too keen on the Japanese Chrysler experience either

Tesla's room to operate is that every OEM kind of sucks

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sanchez posted:

Yeah if we include hybrids then the Outlander PHEV and Prius also have ACC, although the Volt is also the EV-est of the non-quite-EVs.

sanchez posted:

The Model 3 I ordered a month ago was scheduled for delivery next week, which I was happy about as it fitted well with work scheduling. Tesla contacted me over the weekend and basically said take it by tuesday (today) or we'll give it to someone else. So, I have an at-home delivery scheduled for tonight that the guy on the phone said should take less than 20 minutes. 50A outlet is ready, delivery checklist is printed. It'll be interesting..

Cool!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sanchez posted:

The Model 3 I ordered a month ago was scheduled for delivery next week, which I was happy about as it fitted well with the work schedule. Tesla contacted me over the weekend and basically said take it by Tuesday (today) or we'll give it to someone else. So, I have an at-home delivery scheduled for tonight that the guy on the phone said should take less than 20 minutes. 50A outlet is ready, the delivery checklist is printed. It'll be interesting.

What config did you get?

Edit*

I have met at least 6 Volt owners (including myself!) who went from Volt to a Model 3. I swear the Volt is an EV gateway drug.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

ratbert90 posted:

What config did you get?

Edit*

I have met at least 6 Volt owners (including myself!) who went from Volt to a Model 3. I swear the Volt is an EV gateway drug.

I’m in this camp. I’ve owned my Volt for barely two months and it makes me want a full EV. I went with the Volt because of range anxiety coupled with a very rural area. Owning the Volt has shown me how silly range anxiety is. I’ve needed to used gas exactly twice, both times were 200+ mile trips. Even charging on 120v, I never use gas locally. I found that I just plan things out to work that way between errands and my job. I bought a ChargePoint station and am waiting for an electrician to install it for available 7.2kw charging, even though my Volt is limited to 3.6. I’ll likely be driving a full EV as my next car.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Warrior Princess posted:

....... I’ll likely be driving a full EV as my next car.

Same here.... I've been lusting after a Model 3. And the fact that I am seeing at least 2-3 a week around town isn't helping that. It is surprising to even be seeing them around here, this area (South Eastern Indiana, about 35-40 miles west of Cincinnati) has always been a EV/PHEV desert.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
With my 3D, even with heat blasting@75mph and 18F outside, I still get around 230 miles before having to charge on a trip.

That's more than enough range 99% of the time.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bagheera posted:

I test drove a Leaf and Bolt this weekend. I really disliked the Bolt and bought the Leaf.

/personal opinions ahead. Do not flame.

Leaf Pros:
-Pro Pilot Assist is really awesome. I drove the Florida Turnpike in Miami at 5pm, a certain recipe for road rage. With Pro Pilot, it was an easy ride. I set the car to 60, and it maintained perfect following distance. When traffic jams slowed us to 10mph, the car slowed to the right speed, then sped up when traffic started moving. Twice someone cut in front of me then hit the brakes. Both times the Leaf hit the brakes just as it should.

-The interior is really nice. We got the SL trim.

-It looks like a sporty hatch. I traded in a Mazda3 hatch, and the Leaf is about the same size.

-The tires grip well. I floored the accelerator and heard a little squeal but felt no shimmy.

-The audio system is really good.

-The price is great. I got a fully-loaded top-trim Leaf for the price of a baseline, no-options Bolt. Also, Nissan gives a $7,500 rebate when leasing. So you get the tax credit either way.

Bolt Pros:
-It has much longer range.

That's it. Everything else about the Bolt was worse. The cloth seats were bland and uncomfortable. The interior looked cheap, like a bad rental car. The display was pretty but not as user-friendly as the Leaf's. When I accelerated hard, the tires squealed horribly, and the front end shimmied dangerously.

If I needed to drive 300+ miles in a day, I guess I'd get the Bolt. But any less than that, and I recommend the Leaf.

The Bolt comes in a rad green.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 14, 2018

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Bagheera posted:

When I accelerated hard, the tires squealed horribly, and the front end shimmied dangerously.

The Bolt is quite a bit faster than the Leaf and you were probably feeling torque steer.

ClassH fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 14, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ClassH posted:

The Bolt is quite a bit faster than the Leaf and you were probably feeling torque steer.

Which is even worse and tells me the code for controlling the motors is garbage.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ratbert90 posted:

Which is even worse and tells me the code for controlling the motors is garbage.

No, it means the tires are low rolling resistance and have poo poo for grip. That happens with any FWD car when you stomp on it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

No, it means the tires are low rolling resistance and have poo poo for grip. That happens with any FWD car when you stomp on it.

Not true. Any fwd car with a half shaft shouldn’t have any real torque steer. The problem is, Chevy went with a CVE and different length axel shafts for both wheels.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Euro Model 3 will have CCS2 plug. And Tesla will be retrofitting Euro superchargers with an additional cable. Sounds like the 3 won't be able to do DC charging via the slightly modified Type 2 connector like S and X currently can.

https://electrek.co/2018/11/14/tesla-model-3-ccs-2-plug-europe-adapter-model-s-model-x/

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

stevewm posted:

Euro Model 3 will have CCS2 plug. And Tesla will be retrofitting Euro superchargers with an additional cable. Sounds like the 3 won't be able to do DC charging via the slightly modified Type 2 connector like S and X currently can.

https://electrek.co/2018/11/14/tesla-model-3-ccs-2-plug-europe-adapter-model-s-model-x/

They will be able too, they just don't give enough of a poo poo to make one for the 3 in North America yet.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Good telsa is moving down the route of early 2000s phones, i can't wait.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I see that old iPod connector in hotel clock radios all the time ITYOOL 2018

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I see that old iPod connector in hotel clock radios all the time ITYOOL 2018

At least that one was still current as of 6 years ago. That's not ancient history in the context of hotel decor renovations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ratbert90 posted:

Not true. Any fwd car with a half shaft shouldn’t have any real torque steer.

This is not true. FWD's with loads of torque WILL torque steer, no matter what your half shaft setup or how trick your diff is. Even AWD's tug at the wheel.