Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ashpanash posted:

This. Especially the 'she's good at playing the Doctor' part.

Like, I think Eccelsten nailed it right away, Tennant and Capaldi had to kind of grow into it, and Smith pretty much was the Doctor from his first scene and after Season 5 occasionally sort of lost that magic.

Yeah, this is exactly how i feel. It's hard to explain, but Eccleston and early Smith had some weird, metatextual feeling that the Doctor was inhabiting them rather than vice versa. I think by her second or third series Whitaker will be there, but atm it's not quite gelling.

I think scripts have a massive part to play in that, though, in that Eccleston and Smith had great material to work with from the get go, and the others kinda really didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
She has this deep intensity to her that took me a couple episodes to get used to and while I think it suits the Doctor she's going for and is definitely fun, it feels like it keeps getting between The Doctor and Jodie Whittaker.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do really enjoy and find quite refreshing (much as I loved Capaldi) just how generally positive and extremely empathic Whittaker's Doctor is. I do think they still haven't quite hit that same defining point that all the actors eventually have (as mentioned, some like Matt Smith got it IMMEDIATELY) but I do think she is building up a pretty strong sense of what sets her apart from prior incarnations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The_Doctor posted:

I think if they’d intended that, there’d have been more of a subtle wink on it, or something.

a wink anyway. the show is not doing subtle

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

She's the Doctor already to me, but her Doctor hasn't had the equivalent of Matt Smith's laugh after he says "I'm definitely just a madman with a box."

I think Thirteen does have a defined character, though. It's there the most when she kind of lingers outside the TARDIS and then gets extremely excited about being asked to tea, and invites Graham and Ryan. It's in all her interactions, though; she just wants to make friends with everyone in the Universe, so she can tell them some of her stories, in a more straightforward way than previous Doctors.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah. She's very Eight, in that she's just a genuinely nice and empathetic person who is excited to meet new people and do new stuff.

It is refreshing, in that it's not a side we've seen emphasised for awhile.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I guess the lack of a returning villain so far this series is kind of getting me a bit chapped. Unless a Cyberman shows up out of nowhere, we're looking at the first time a new Doctor's first season goes by without a returning villain since 1970.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jodie clicked for me in her entrance through the roof of the train. I was fully on board from that second.

"Long story, tell you later." "Augh - I hate empty pockets!" "Why are you calling me madam?" "Am I? Does it suit me?"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edward Mass posted:

I guess the lack of a returning villain so far this series is kind of getting me a bit chapped. Unless a Cyberman shows up out of nowhere, we're looking at the first time a new Doctor's first season goes by without a returning villain since 1970.
Don't they have to show a Dalek once per season or they lose the rights to the Daleks or some such nonsense?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LividLiquid posted:

Don't they have to show a Dalek once per season or they lose the rights to the Daleks or some such nonsense?

That was a myth, I believe, it wasn't actually proven.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgMM1eJCvB4&t=55s

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

As usual, the official DW Facebook page continues to be the go to place for the worst fans to make their voices heard amongst the general fandom.

Remember when being unable to hide behind a veil of anonymity was enough to keep people like that from commenting?

Even after Demons of Punjab, the show apparently has the worst script writing ever. Moffat is now haralded as a God Emperor compared to Chib. Everything positive that this new incarnation of the show is trying to say is taken as a negative and the very fact that it's a New Years Special instead of a Christmas Special is the sign to them that Doctor Who is a show with a political and religious agenda.

Where's 11 when we need him? Reboot the Universe, because this one is hosed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CommonShore posted:

Jodie clicked for me in her entrance through the roof of the train. I was fully on board from that second.

"Long story, tell you later." "Augh - I hate empty pockets!" "Why are you calling me madam?" "Am I? Does it suit me?"

Yeah, like for me maybe the bar is just low, but I never have needed to have any Doctor do a certain thing for me to be "a-ha, yes, THIS is the Doctor!" I pretty much just accept them all right away, and so far they've all been good. :shrug:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Does anyone actually -like- the xmas specials? I thought the popular wisdom for years was that they were especially weak episodes leaning way too hard on Christmas-flavour sentimentalism.

Not that I ever got to watch them actually on Christmas Day, watching Who with a family that just does not like Sci-Fi is a painful exercise :v:.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Christmas specials are hit-or-miss, but it had become an annual thing. It'll be an odd Christmas without sitting down after opening presents and watching a new Doctor Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astroman posted:

Yeah, like for me maybe the bar is just low, but I never have needed to have any Doctor do a certain thing for me to be "a-ha, yes, THIS is the Doctor!" I pretty much just accept them all right away, and so far they've all been good. :shrug:

Oh she's the Doctor, no doubt about it. There's just usually a moment where they do something that just absolutely nails everything about their take on the character. For me, Capaldi was great as the Doctor straight away even if the first half of his first episode was pretty awful, but the moment he "shoots" himself in Mummy on the Orient Express was just an unbelievably great moment that encapsulated so much of what made his Doctor tick.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Astroman posted:

Splendid chaps and lasses, all of them :unsmith:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I am one of those weirdos who don't accept the doctors in The Curse of Fatal Death as real doctors.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Edward Mass posted:

First full series (Twin Dilemma was on its own). Plus I don't think The Rani really counts...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

Even after Demons of Punjab, the show apparently has the worst script writing ever. Moffat is now haralded as a God Emperor compared to Chib.

Predictable.

Exactly the same thing happened when RTD left.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Clearly Hinchcliffe needs to come back.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Edward Mass posted:

I think this might also be the first season without any returning characters (other than the Doctor) from previous seasons since... Key to Time, maybe?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Forktoss posted:

I think this might also be the first season without any returning characters (other than the Doctor) from previous seasons since... Key to Time, maybe?

If we're talking returning villains, then you also get series 13 (Pyramids of Mars et al), 7 (Pertwee's first), and, uh, 1. Returning characters at all rules out 13 and 7 (Brigadier for a start).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Actually, something that's struck me, the entire season so far has been very small-scale and 'realistic' in enemies, rather than big Fights Against Nasties. We've had:

-One rear end in a top hat cheater, and his pile of power cables.
-A few robots and some rear end in a top hat strips of cloth.
-A time-racist, and also a bunch of actual racism.
-Ostensibly a bunch of giant spiders, but realistically not-Donald Trump.
-A single knee-height alien.
-Two misunderstood aliens, but really post-war British post-colonialism.

Thirteen hasn't fought anything especially big at this point, and I think that's going to stay true for this season; at this point in their runs Nine had stopped one full-scale invasion of London and two localized but significant incursions, Ten had stopped one worldwide alien invasion and was on the doorstep of fighting the Cybermen, and Eleven had fought full complements of Daleks and Weeping Angels (Twelve was smaller-scale, but he'd still fought off an entire spaceship and a robot army). If they were going to go big, they would have done it at least once by now.

What if the finale is against one recurring monster? I'm not sure which, because we've relatively recently had a Cyberman and Master finale and aren't too far out from Into the Dalek, but the way things are going, I feel like we're heading to a much smaller-scale finale, and pulling out a recurring monster at the last possible moment would be a good time to do it.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Cleretic posted:

What if the finale is against one recurring monster? I'm not sure which, because we've relatively recently had a Cyberman and Master finale and aren't too far out from Into the Dalek, but the way things are going, I feel like we're heading to a much smaller-scale finale, and pulling out a recurring monster at the last possible moment would be a good time to do it.

Maybe she will finally deal with that Yeti in the loo in Tooting Bec

Orv
May 4, 2011
Introducing new companions to Daleks seems to be a particular pleasure of the writing staff across every series, so I'd be surprised if that doesn't happen soon rather than later. Hanging it on a finale seems a bit lead on for a bigger Dalek arc though so maybe not that.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 15, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I thought Chib had already said there would be no returning villains this season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Next episode synopsis. Not on Earth then.

“Delivery for the Doctor!” A mysterious message arrives in a package addressed to the Doctor, leading her, Graham, Yaz and Ryan to investigate the warehouse moon orbiting Kandoka, and the home of the galaxy’s largest retailer: Kerblam!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

thrawn527 posted:

I thought Chib had already said there would be no returning villains this season.

https://twitter.com/gavinworby/status/1059182084504334337

:colbert:

(Also, this means there's now an Angel on the Tsuranga :ohdear:)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooh, old school Silurian.

Were the death turtles Chelonians? :thunk:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 15, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really expected at the end the scene with Nan and Yaz would go "You want to know about the watch?" "No" "Is that because you were there?" and the Nan tells Yaz she knew she was the strange family member that was there, and that's why she was her favorite grandchild.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I really expected at the end the scene with Nan and Yaz would go "You want to know about the watch?" "No" "Is that because you were there?" and the Nan tells Yaz she knew she was the strange family member that was there, and that's why she was her favorite grandchild.

That would be way too "spell it out". I thought it was pretty drat clear she knew and wasn't saying anything because she isn't sure when Yaz will do it. Or she knew Yaz just did it and there's no need to talk about it because it literally just happened to her. Either way it wasn't that drat subtle since my 21 year old daughter, who is so unobservant she asked me halfway through Infinity War who "That big bluey purple guy" is called it that Yaz's Nan knew and that's why she gave her the watch at the beginning.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I meant to put "I'm glad they didn't go this way" at the end because this was much better. I expected it because Doctor Who tends to explain everything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ah, it was Paul McGann’s birthday yesterday! :toot:

I hope he remembered. :ohdear:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I liked the christmas special that ended with the ashes of dead aliens floating down from the sky

I think that happened like...twice? Three times?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

I liked the christmas special that ended with the ashes of dead aliens floating down from the sky

I think that happened like...twice? Three times?

Only twice by my count? Sycorax and the Racnoss ship?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This feels weird to say but I dont even know if the Daleks would even mesh with the atmosphere and tone of this Doctor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/dwpageofficial/status/1063103582508122112

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Harlock posted:

This feels weird to say but I dont even know if the Daleks would even mesh with the atmosphere and tone of this Doctor.

EXTERMIN--

WAIT.

YOU. ARE. NOT. MY. DOC-TOOOOR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Tired: shipping Thirteen/Yaz
Wired: shipping Jodie/Mandip