Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think it's mainly me not bothering to open my inventory wheel. "Oh poo poo there they are.. just go up behind them and, oh, I forgot to equip something".

I'm a bad hitman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Holy sweet moly, I finally got my silver-ballers back so I started up Colombia for the first time and.... the people around me are speaking spanish! They have South American-esque accents!

This isn't the Hitman I know!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

elf help book posted:

You can't put them away, so you cannot carry a large object and a briefcase together, you can't easily leave it behind as guards pick them up, you can't climb ladders with them.

You also drop it to drag a corpse and probably other things. Somehow it magically reappears after vaulting over a fence, though.

One thing a briefcase will not do is get a weapon through security. Also, you can't bring a briefcase if you plan to start in a disguise.

King Vidiot posted:

Is it just me, or does anybody else wind up basically just snapping your targets' necks the first time you play a level?

First run I usually find their drink, spike it with rat poison, then drown them in the toilet. You can always find rat poison laying around the level, their guards never go into the bathroom with them, and there's always a corpse chest in there so it's an easy SA for almost every target. This is a little easier now because if you're blending in as a server over a tray of food you can actually target people around you to get them to eat it if it's not part of their usual behavior

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 14, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I save the "Create your own murder" options for later playthroughs. The first time I usually follow one of the stories to a T to see one of them out and get a lay of the land. Next time in it's whatever goes though. I usually don't bring Garotte because coins + lockpick seems like a good loadout but maybe I should start bringing it again.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My first run through a level is almost always that I forgot I threw my gun in the trash so I have to improvise with a screwdriver. It’s always a screwdriver, for some reason.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

dear lord, the Miami map is huge. How do I even ... I don't ... what?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

double nine posted:

It seems big because you have to take a roundabout path to get anywhere. Once you figure out how the layout works, it's not that bad.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

double nine posted:

It's two primary areas, like they cut Paris in half and laid it out on a horizontal plain. It's really fun to navigate and look at!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Speaking of Paris, I'm finding that it shows off the new graphics changes very well. The piano room, especially.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Snuffman posted:

I have a pretty bleeding edge PC (i5 8600, 16GB RAM, the game is on an SSD), only my graphics card is a generation or so behind (970 GTX), and I was getting vicious FPS drops and hitching in Miami. I dialed the textures from high to medium and the game looks just as good and also runs smoothly now.

I think "high" textures is for your :pcgaming: 4K :pcgaming: sort, cause medium looks fine. :shrug:

Man, it would be nice if games gave me a good quantitative idea of how high res high res actually is. As is, I end up looking at them being like "oooh, the high option means it is good. I want my textures to be good, I'll pick that option."

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I think it's mainly me not bothering to open my inventory wheel. "Oh poo poo there they are.. just go up behind them and, oh, I forgot to equip something".

I'm a bad hitman.

I don't like the new horizontal wheel. What was wrong with the old one?

Also lol, went in to kill the first target and she was levitating three feet above her bed. When I was using instinct to look through the wall it seemed like she and her husband used staggered bunk beds or something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
honestly, i love how the hitman universe is basically a more realistic paul verhoeven movie. its a grim dark heightened reality where everyone is weird monster rear end in a top hat who die gory deaths and tons of political satire mixed in with dirty jokes and dark humor with human abomination as the protagonist.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

is there only 1 sniper mission or do more unlock as i move through the campaign?
or do the targets rotate/get added later

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly, i love how the hitman universe is basically a more realistic paul verhoeven movie mixed with todays hellworld. its a grim dark heightened reality where everyone is weird monster rear end in a top hat who die gory deaths and tons of political satire mixed in with dirty jokes with human abomination as the protagonist.

A funny thought I had watching that "kill everyone in Sapienza" video (the short one) is how the tone in Hitman is kind of cartoonish. Like that video could have been really gruesome and horrible but it's funny, and not just from the editing. The game itself deliberately goes for comedy when it comes to the kills - all the sound effects are funny "bonk" noises rather than like, horrible skull cracks. There's not much in the way of blood or gore even with the weapons that would be messier in real life (the one exception being the wood chipper which even then is pretty subdued). Nobody slowly bleeds out while moaning in pain - they just kind of crumple to the ground in one hit. Like it's a game where they could have gone in a very different direction with it and made it all just vile and uncomfortable (I know people are going to be tempted to point out Absolution here but while the storyline of that game was terrible, the game design was still tonally very similar to this game. Which is maybe why it felt like such a mess) but instead they just leaned into the ridiculousness of it all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A funny thought I had watching that "kill everyone in Sapienza" video (the short one) is how the tone in Hitman is kind of cartoonish. Like that video could have been really gruesome and horrible but it's funny, and not just from the editing. The game itself deliberately goes for comedy when it comes to the kills - all the sound effects are funny "bonk" noises rather than like, horrible skull cracks. There's not much in the way of blood or gore even with the weapons that would be messier in real life (the one exception being the wood chipper which even then is pretty subdued). Nobody slowly bleeds out while moaning in pain - they just kind of crumple to the ground in one hit. Like it's a game where they could have gone in a very different direction with it and made it all just vile and uncomfortable (I know people are going to be tempted to point out Absolution here but while the storyline of that game was terrible, the game design was still tonally very similar to this game. Which is maybe why it felt like such a mess) but instead they just leaned into the ridiculousness of it all.

honestly as dumb as it was, i liked the dumb story of absolution(and absolution in general). its a weird B-movie type deal where the big bads are one armed rear end in a top hat with battle nuns and some midwest dickhead who build landmines for home defense. i like to think that one of the reasons its not brought up in the sequels is because that kinda poo poo happens all the time. absolution was just office politics that got heavy for weak or so until the problems were dealt with. anyway, i respect IO for trying something different, realizing it didn't work out well and then going back to basics but keeping the good stuff they learned.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can also see this with how when you electrocute somewhere, they do this Three-Stooges type babble and you see their neon-green skeleton blink about and then they just fall over. Or with how in explosions people just end up soaring ragdoll through the sky. Or with how you can dress as a flamingo and hit people with a fish and you can even get achievements for doing this.

Honestly, it's probably why Hitman is so fun to play. Way more fun to murder people when it doesn't feel like actual people you're actually murdering.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Colombia, is there anything special you have to do to sit down at the drums, or is my game just busted? I got the outfit, found the other two guys, but there's no interaction prompt when I look at the drums. I have opportunities turned off so maybe I'm missing something, but usually there would be a greyed-out prompt that says exactly what you're missing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I absolutely adore how silly Hitman is....

...and yet sometimes it gets gruesome in subtle ways that really add to the atmosphere. Like in Colombia, I sliced open a target's neck with a knife and got blood all over the balcony railing before I dumped the body. Like, big ugly stain on the white railing. It was a nice touch!

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

homeless snail posted:

In Colombia, is there anything special you have to do to sit down at the drums, or is my game just busted? I got the outfit, found the other two guys, but there's no interaction prompt when I look at the drums. I have opportunities turned off so maybe I'm missing something, but usually there would be a greyed-out prompt that says exactly what you're missing.

There's actually three, not two. You forgot one!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The fireworks push is both one of the best AND goofiest kills in hitman and you get to do it right away.

Hitman taking itself exactly as serious as it does is perfect.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lol i totally hosed up the intended path for mumbai got caught and shot my way into the sewers, ran around the gang hideout, ran into a hobo looking dude by himself in a room and guessed correctly he was the target

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

King Vidiot posted:

Helmet Kruger you've done it again! :allears:

Is it just me, or does anybody else wind up basically just snapping your targets' necks the first time you play a level? My playstyle is like, I scout around the level looking for the security room and the most high-clearance outfit I can stumble across, I look for opportunities (I turn off tracking them on the map because that's Mickey Mouse Bullshit) and just poke around where I shouldn't. Then I usually manage to bumblefuck my way into a secluded area alone with the target and then I choke them out and break their neck. It's like two hours of build up and then... there they are and there I am.

I like to get the Silent Assassin Suit Only thing out of the way first even if I savescum to do it, it feels more like the story unfolding naturally the first time.

That way every subsequent run I don't fret about getting spotted or whatever and let maps play out however, which is how I left Sapienza with 30 bodies piled up on the stairs by the Specimen-Killing-Laptop

The shotgun is real fun to fire

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Did anyone ever manage that Tuppence A Wish challenge in bangkok? I think you need to bounce the coins off the fountain mirror, but I can't get a definitive answer if it requires 13 coins or just for the coins to hit the rocks inside the fountain.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s the rocks, it just usually takes 13 on average. I found a guide that got it for me on the second try when 2016 had me deep in its claws, but it’s been so long I don’t know if I’ll be able to find it again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I wish to hell that Hitman 2 had been episodic, holy hell does the plot get interesting. The speculation taking place during the months between episodes would have been great.

Also, on that note, I loved Mumbai and want to go to the suburbs immediately. Game so good.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

Helmet Kruger you've done it again! :allears:

Is it just me, or does anybody else wind up basically just snapping your targets' necks the first time you play a level? My playstyle is like, I scout around the level looking for the security room and the most high-clearance outfit I can stumble across, I look for opportunities (I turn off tracking them on the map because that's Mickey Mouse Bullshit) and just poke around where I shouldn't. Then I usually manage to bumblefuck my way into a secluded area alone with the target and then I choke them out and break their neck. It's like two hours of build up and then... there they are and there I am.

I do the same thing and even have a nickname for it in my head. Just minding my own business and oh hey mark!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appointment_in_Samarra

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

mp5 posted:

I like to get the Silent Assassin Suit Only thing out of the way first even if I savescum to do it, it feels more like the story unfolding naturally the first time.

That's a cool idea, I'll try that. Luckily I spent my first 11 hours and mastering the prologue + Miami.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

lol i totally hosed up the intended path for mumbai got caught and shot my way into the sewers, ran around the gang hideout, ran into a hobo looking dude by himself in a room and guessed correctly he was the target

Is there special dialogue for getting the target without identifying him first? Does the game just have you magically know you got it right or do you still have to go through the whole "find the photo and identify him" thing?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is there special dialogue for getting the target without identifying him first? Does the game just have you magically know you got it right or do you still have to go through the whole "find the photo and identify him" thing?

Diana just confirms the kill for you, I think it's different dialogue but it's not super interesting

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

StashAugustine posted:

Diana just confirms the kill for you, I think it's different dialogue but it's not super interesting

Specifically, "47, that man you just eliminated was the Maelstrom."

You'd think I'd get a little bit of surprise for that. But maybe I should be surprised that Diana's not surprised about me killing random people who may or may not be the target. Just "Oh hey, good job, chum, by the way, you actually did the thing we're paying you for, just fyi."

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
you know i'd be happy with any kind of co-op hitman but I think a weird asymmetrical one where one player was 47 and one was Diana would be really cool. targets aren't identified or marked at mission start but the 47 player can gather intel on the ground that lets the diana player use a satellite view/hacked security cameras to identify them. give the diana player some remote hacking capabilities so they can cause distractions/accidents, lock and unlock doors, etc and obviously you'd want to randomize the targets each play through. could be really cool!

edit: of course you'd have to gimp some of 47s abilities to keep this from just being Easy Mode, though. maybe NPCs don't show up on minimap or in instinct unless they're being actively tagged by Diana? I just like the idea of a co-op game where one player is neck-deep in poo poo and reliant on the other player to give them the info they need to get out alive

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 15, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

has anyone checked out ghost mode yet? hitman that forces you to adapt on the fly sounds really cool

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

goferchan posted:

you know i'd be happy with any kind of co-op hitman but I think a weird asymmetrical one where one player was 47 and one was Diana would be really cool. targets aren't identified or marked at mission start but the 47 player can gather intel on the ground that lets the diana player use a satellite view/hacked security cameras to identify them. give the diana player some remote hacking capabilities so they can cause distractions/accidents, lock and unlock doors, etc and obviously you'd want to randomize the targets each play through. could be really cool!

Something like Clandestine? Cause that's what you just described.

Though Clandestine has some hardcore euro-jank and is nearly unplayable as a one player game.

I'd play a cleaned up IOI take on the idea.

Or their take on an Assassins Creed Bro/Rev/3/Blackflag murder party style multiplayer.

Heck, they'd both work in the Hitman world.

EDIT:

VVVVVVV That's Assassins Creed multiplayer minus the roof running, my friend. ;) VVVVVVV

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 15, 2018

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

goferchan posted:

edit: of course you'd have to gimp some of 47s abilities to keep this from just being Easy Mode, though. maybe NPCs don't show up on minimap or in instinct unless they're being actively tagged by Diana? I just like the idea of a co-op game where one player is neck-deep in poo poo and reliant on the other player to give them the info they need to get out alive

Another idea for co-op hitman--although this would be more versus than co-op--would be like that PvP mode in Watch Dogs, where both players appeared to the other player as a random npc.

For Hitman, I envision it as a spy versus spy thing. Both players start at opposite ends of the map or at random locations and have to track the other down and kill them, with bonus points if they can make it look like an accident, if they take the player out without being seen, if they don't kill or are detected, etc. Both players can change disguises, blend in at various location as well as into crowds and foliage, and basically try to behave as the NPC's do. To keep it from just looking for a needle in a haystack, there could be locations around the map with valuable intel that could narrow down where the other character currently is, in a short of shrinking circle way like with Fortnite, but it would also come with a risk in that accessing this intel would also clue the other player to what intel was accessed at what location. For my money, it'd keep the spirit of Hitman and not just turn it into a silly stealth shoot-em-up. I envision Paris as being a great place to do this.

Anyway, that's just my Game Development fanfiction idea.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I got the 2016 game in a bundle recently and imported it all into the new ones free prologue thing. I'm in Sapienza now, been mostly winging it and moving through the story. Seems pretty cool so far. Is it better to just play through the story first before going back and not worrying about unlocking poo poo or just go ahead and grind all the various things out before moving on? Seems really cool, but thats par for the course for hitman, yet this is definitely the best one I've played in years. I might grab 2 later this week if this one continues to hold my attention.

I guess this point is pretty pointless other than to say "cool game"

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

mods changed my name posted:

I got the 2016 game in a bundle recently and imported it all into the new ones free prologue thing. I'm in Sapienza now, been mostly winging it and moving through the story. Seems pretty cool so far. Is it better to just play through the story first before going back and not worrying about unlocking poo poo or just go ahead and grind all the various things out before moving on? Seems really cool, but thats par for the course for hitman, yet this is definitely the best one I've played in years. I might grab 2 later this week if this one continues to hold my attention.

I personally think it's more fun to progress through the story, since that gets you the greatest novelty and challenge in the quickest amount of time. I love going in-depth to all the parts I miss later on, but for me if I didn't move on to the next level after the first run, I'd just be getting antsy to finish up my completionist run and move on.

And yes, MCMN, a cool game. A cool game indeed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
To be honest, I have no idea what the story is. Something about a shadow broker and two secret groups fighting each other. Blah blah, who cares. The fun part of this game is replaying the levels over and over again to find new ways to kill people.

Also, did they fix being able to hit the stalactite with an explosive in the garage on Sapienza?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The answer is, however you want to do it. I prefer to go into new maps with just the basic loadout - suit, fiber-wire, coins and see what I can do and see. After that, I'll go back and do challenges and what have you - and honestly? Go to whatever map is drawing your interest at the mo. Jump around, have fun, be careful not to spend too long in, say, Paris and burn out on the game. There's so dang much of it that you're better off savoring and enjoying unlocks as they come.

And, of course, if that doesn't sound good for you, you can look up unlocks and decide what you want first, etc. Or treat it like it really is still episodic, and live in Paris for a couple months before moving on, etc etc.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Some people really like mastering one mission before moving onto the next but I personally prefer giving them all a quick playthrough and then going back and picking my favorites to master. There's no wrong way to do it, just don't burn yourself out playing Paris ten times in a row I guess. Most missions have some kind of universal unlock very early on in their mastery progression so if you play through the whole thing and start back at the beginning you're guaranteed some new toys to play with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also, on that note, I loved Mumbai and want to go to the suburbs immediately. Game so good.

Maybe it's just the fall leaves but I keep thinking of Haddonfield from the Halloween movies when I see the preview pic, and now I'm really wanting to get a suitable disguise to do a kill everybody run. But what to wear... clown