Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It occurred to me I've never had a burger with radish as a topping and now I'm really curious, is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
A burger is only as good as its chef and its toppings. I love you. Namaste.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bogart posted:

A burger is only as good as its chef and its toppings. I love you. Namaste.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
:yeah:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Found out a Huxtaburger opened in town so went and tried it.

Was pretty great, meat was really juicy and the buns were toasted with butter, ketchup and there's fried onions in there which aren't visible in the shot, just a good old fashioned burger.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It occurred to me I've never had a burger with radish as a topping and now I'm really curious, is it any good?

Radish is sharp, sweet and kind of peppery if lightly pickled. It's loving great as an alternative to regular pickles especially on really greasy burgers, same reason Korean fried chicken places give you a bowl of the stuff.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I quickly burged yesterday.

Burg, burgsauce, mustard, mushrooms, onions. Greasy burger van style.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

Found out a Huxtaburger opened in town so went and tried it.

Was pretty great, meat was really juicy and the buns were toasted with butter, ketchup and there's fried onions in there which aren't visible in the shot, just a good old fashioned burger.

Radish is sharp, sweet and kind of peppery if lightly pickled. It's loving great as an alternative to regular pickles especially on really greasy burgers, same reason Korean fried chicken places give you a bowl of the stuff.

Perth? I've heard mixed reviews.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Perth? I've heard mixed reviews.

Yeah.

I liked it, maybe it's uneven and I got lucky.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Best burger in Perth is def Johnny's though. Shame it's in the middle of industrial wasteland an hour out of my way anywhere.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

Best burger in Perth is def Johnny's though. Shame it's in the middle of industrial wasteland an hour out of my way anywhere.

What!? no.

I tried them and the patties were full of gristle and raw in the middle. They were huge but not good

Tried Hood Burger or Short Order? Bump In Burger? They're all WAY better.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

What!? no.

I tried them and the patties were full of gristle and raw in the middle. They were huge but not good

Tried Hood Burger or Short Order? Bump In Burger? They're all WAY better.

Really? Wasn't my experience at Johnny's. I'm usually pretty blitzed when I'm that neck of the woods though, it being near my cousins, so that might colour my opinion. Like part of it might also just be the novelty of being the only place I know to do really big burgers well but they certainly weren't gristly or undercooked when I had em.

Also been to Hood Burger but forgot, yeah point, they good.

Was not aware of the others, which is a shame cause Bump In is near a mate's, need to check them out.

On old style fish and chip shop burgs you ever been to Novembars?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 16, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

Really? Wasn't my experience at Johnny's. I'm usually pretty blitzed when I'm that neck of the woods though, it being near my cousins, so that might colour my opinion. Like part of it might also just be the novelty of being the only place I know to do really big burgers well but they certainly weren't gristly or undercooked when I had em.

Also been to Hood Burger but forgot, yeah point, they good.

Was not aware of the others, which is a shame cause Bump In is near a mate's, need to check them out.

On old style fish and chip shop burgs you ever been to Novembars?

They just shut down - Ceiling collapsed and Minh couldn't afford to keep the place open. They were really good burgers, if you don't mind a non-pure beef patty. He had a really good mix of onion, herbs and really good beef mince going on though. I attempted the Fat Boy once but only got through 5 of those drat half pound patties.

The anaconda was a favourite of mine though.

You're going to love bump in.

Edit: there's. Perth Burger Hunters page on Facebook, worth joining if you want to know about new burger joints popping up, where to get good ingredients etc. There's a few new ones about to open or just open that look the goods. Big Rigs are getting a lot of good reviews.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 16, 2018

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Don Dongington posted:

I attempted the Fat Boy once but only got through 5 of those drat half pound patties.

More info and pictures please.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

They just shut down - Ceiling collapsed and Minh couldn't afford to keep the place open. They were really good burgers, if you don't mind a non-pure beef patty. He had a really good mix of onion, herbs and really good beef mince going on though. I attempted the Fat Boy once but only got through 5 of those drat half pound patties.

The anaconda was a favourite of mine though.

Edit: there's. Perth Burger Hunters page on Facebook, worth joining if you want to know about new burger joints popping up, where to get good ingredients etc. There's a few new ones about to open or just open that look the goods. Big Rigs are getting a lot of good reviews.

Aww poo poo seriously? Novembars ruled, that loving sucks. I'll keep that page in mind, not on FB but I'll give it a look.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Got takeaway from local "hipster" burger joint. Chips were kebab shop chips with jalapenos, chiliflakes and chillisos. Nice and spicy but not worth the money.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Moey posted:

Dumped some old facebook snaps in an album: https://imgur.com/a/nhSbSB8

Fat Boy is #5. 7 250g patties, an egg, cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, condiments.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Moey posted:

I pulled this off Yelp as I only recently got a decent camera phone to food post with but one thing Don's pics didn't convey that I think is important is

Minh got them eggs just right. That runny yolk mixing with the sauce. That's the heart of Australian burgs I think.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Looks awesome, can't ever go wrong with a fried egg on a burger. I also need a burger that is stacked to the ceiling.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

I did btw, no pics cause with friends but drat was that good, and so were the terrible rock n roll puns. Got an Eddie Cheddar and found a new potential thread title.

And Burger For All

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
had to krust up a few burgs last night

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the pineapple was too thick so i pulled it out but the slaw in hot sauce dressing was a great topping

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

It's not sexy, but it got the job done.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

There's more browning on that burger than the probably dozen times I've tried Five Guys combined. Maybe Five Guys doesn't suck elsewhere, but here in Wisconsin I've never gotten anything more than a grey patty on a lovely bun.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The only burger places I hate more than five guys are burger king and mcdonalds.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Both the fries and the burger are several steps above the Five Guys here. I'm with Control Volume. Maybe if the food served at mine looked like that, I'd eat there more often than never.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Please tell me you get a butter burger every now and again?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Moey posted:

Please tell me you get a butter burger every now and again?

I eat Culver's far more often than I should

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
My Five Guys is kinda hit or miss. Sometimes it looks great and hits the spot and sometimes the fries are cold and soggy and the burger looks and tastes bland. I haven't even been able to figure out a pattern (like if one particular idiot is working the line or something).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Casu Marzu posted:

I eat Culver's far more often than I should

Folks, Culver's kicks rear end.

Only ate at 5 guys once. I can't remember the details but somehow once was enough...that is how memorable the experience was. I have clips in my mind on how lovely the whole experience was that equate to some mental slide wheel. It's like them trying to stuff in some bespoke burger joint (that chances are badly cooked) into an environment that basically looks like some corporate cafeteria in the '70s seating situation...all while paying a premium for it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I've found the key to getting good value at Five Guys (or pretty much any fast casual restaurant) is skip the fountain beverage. Most places around here charge $2.49 to $3.19 for a 22oz.

This does not apply at Culver's, because their house brand root beer is fantastic and also pretty much the only time I buy a fountain drink in a restaurant.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Magnus Praeda posted:

My Five Guys is kinda hit or miss. Sometimes it looks great and hits the spot and sometimes the fries are cold and soggy and the burger looks and tastes bland. I haven't even been able to figure out a pattern (like if one particular idiot is working the line or something).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

:ughh: so it's a company-wide case of loving morons deciding policy in the stupidest possible way. Who the gently caress wants to eat fries that have been out of a fryer for "two to three hours" :barf:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Magnus Praeda posted:

:ughh: so it's a company-wide case of loving morons deciding policy in the stupidest possible way. Who the gently caress wants to eat fries that have been out of a fryer for "two to three hours" :barf:

Oh but it's an art you see

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Magnus Praeda posted:

I think they mean that the chips can be left for 15minutes -2hrs after the first fry, not the second.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Wow, that's, uh, really special rofl. My local 5 guys is reliably really good (Juicy crusty burger, crispy bacon, just right melted cheese, etc), but I guess that's all down to luck heh.

The fries are fuckin trash no matter which you cook them though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Big Willy Style posted:

I think they mean that the chips can be left for 15minutes -2hrs after the first fry, not the second.

Pretty sure they're not double fried. Double fried fries should not be a floppy soggy mess after 30 seconds in the bag.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tried BurgerFi this past weekend. Looked nice, but no sear on the beef, the bun was waaaaaaaay too feather-lite and didn't hold up to it at all, and all I tasted was American cheese. The fries were underdone and the onion rings were extremely greasy. Two thumbs down.

Also, if you want good fries from Five Guys, ask for them well done. It's the only way to go, since they under-fry them every time otherwise.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Midniter posted:

Also, if you want good fries from Five Guys, ask for them well done. It's the only way to go, since they under-fry them every time otherwise.

Well, there is an art to it. drat the timers.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Midniter posted:

Tried BurgerFi this past weekend. Looked nice, but no sear on the beef, the bun was waaaaaaaay too feather-lite and didn't hold up to it at all, and all I tasted was American cheese. The fries were underdone and the onion rings were extremely greasy. Two thumbs down.

Well... It looks nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The Midniter posted:

sadly well done fries still come out like rear end if they're still single fried cut potato->right to oil, the way 5 guys does it. It's just physically impossible to have a really good fry without par cooking, double frying, or ideally both, first. Cooking them well in one fry just insures that all that excess starch and sugar on the potatoes goes way over brown without actually making the good thick crust that makes a fry actually stay crispy for more than 20 seconds.

I know why so many burg places fail super hard on the fries (Because it's a hell of a lot more time/money/effort to par cook->fry once->fry second time,) but gently caress if it isn't disappointing anyhow.