Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
If a store has self checkout I will stand in line and wait for it to free up before I go to an open cashier. I hate interacting with customer service people so much that I will only do it when forced to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Houle posted:

I tend to avoid the self check outs since people tend to be slow, clueless, and oblivious. I don't mind being asked the credit card question since I just take it as an opportunity to badmouth the store to the employee who tends to have the same criticisms. Just stuff like "they're making you ask that question? What morons it just makes people snap at you". And "it's not like you have to do five things at once now you need to carry out transactions that slow down the line".

Though I do tend to avoid some cashier demographics since I've identified the ones who seem to have pride and love for their store and will go through every single recommendation from their last Walmart cheer

All this does is put the cashier in an incredibly awkward position and you might possibly lure them into being too honest and getting themselves fired. The credit card ask is the dumbest thing in the world to be sure tho.

My favorite when I worked retail is being required to ask for the store card thing but we were required to pitch it hard if their card was declined. We need to keep the sale you see! And what better way than offering a store card?? Oh right because 90% of the time they would be declined on the spot for the store card or put to further review cuz of course it would their major credit card was just declined. They probably don't have the best credit right now.... though I got a $50 kickback for every application submitted so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Yesterday I was the grocery store and the cashier and bagger were talking about how the bagger wasn't allowed to work the register for a number of months because she came up several hundo short one time. Didn't impact my shopping experience in any way, just thought to myself that I would have saved that one for the break room for fear of being labelled a crimer by the townsfolk.

Okay thanks for coming out you have a good one.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
50? The cashiers at my old job made only a dollar.

And that's a good point. Though I just like seeing the joy on their faces when I say most customers are morons (probably myself included) and xyz manager is a lazy tool and was when I worked there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
We used to get $25 per application at the bank I worked at. I was going to night school and could have spammed the gently caress out of the college bulletin boards, but it felt too scummy and they never managed to get an effective quota system going.

Volcott posted:

Yesterday I was the grocery store and the cashier and bagger were talking about how the bagger wasn't allowed to work the register for a number of months because she came up several hundo short one time. Didn't impact my shopping experience in any way, just thought to myself that I would have saved that one for the break room for fear of being labelled a crimer by the townsfolk.

Okay thanks for coming out you have a good one.

It always bugs me to see retail cashiers sharing registers. Like someone will take over for another person without first replacing the drawer. How can they tell who made a mistake if the till comes up short?

We were always super careful about chain of custody on cash drawers. So when I came up hundreds short it was totally my fault.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krispy Wafer posted:

We used to get $25 per application at the bank I worked at. I was going to night school and could have spammed the gently caress out of the college bulletin boards, but it felt too scummy and they never managed to get an effective quota system going.

It always bugs me to see retail cashiers sharing registers. Like someone will take over for another person without first replacing the drawer. How can they tell who made a mistake if the till comes up short?

We were always super careful about chain of custody on cash drawers. So when I came up hundreds short it was totally my fault.

Way back at my first or second job ever, we had a manager get arrested because she was skimming from all the tills.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

Way back at my first or second job ever, we had a manager get arrested because she was skimming from all the tills.

My first job, I worked one weekend with one GM, and then the next weekend we had a new one because he was embezzling.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of managers getting busted for stealing, I was assigned to work at an older bank branch at NationsBank (now Bank of America) and heard a story about a McDonalds night manager who had been arrested, convicted, and sent to jail for a year because he stole the restaurant's bank deposit. He said he deposited it after hours, but no deposit ever showed up and it was 2 bank employees' word against his.

A year later they refurbish the old night deposit drops and find the deposit hung up on a piece of metal. When the bank was built people used heavy canvas bags, but by the 90's McDonalds used disposable plastic bags that were longer and thinner than traditional zipper lock bags. There would be compartments for checks (so old), change, and currency instead of everything lumped together. This made it easier to get stuck and not block other deposits made afterwards. The drop also went all the way to the basement instead of just a few feet like modern ones, making visual inspection difficult.

From what I was told it cost the bank $300k.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Speaking of managers getting busted for stealing, I was assigned to work at an older bank branch at NationsBank (now Bank of America) and heard a story about a McDonalds night manager who had been arrested, convicted, and sent to jail for a year because he stole the restaurant's bank deposit. He said he deposited it after hours, but no deposit ever showed up and it was 2 bank employees' word against his.

A year later they refurbish the old night deposit drops and find the deposit hung up on a piece of metal. When the bank was built people used heavy canvas bags, but by the 90's McDonalds used disposable plastic bags that were longer and thinner than traditional zipper lock bags. There would be compartments for checks (so old), change, and currency instead of everything lumped together. This made it easier to get stuck and not block other deposits made afterwards. The drop also went all the way to the basement instead of just a few feet like modern ones, making visual inspection difficult.

From what I was told it cost the bank $300k.

wait...shouldn't you wait to go to trial until he tries to cash the check considering how easily traceable that is?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Stexils posted:

wait...shouldn't you wait to go to trial until he tries to cash the check considering how easily traceable that is?

No one cares about the checks. Those were probably old guys who insisted on paying for their Egg McMuffin and large black coffee with a check for $2.05 every morning.The cash was missing and that was all that mattered.

Since the night drop is opened by two people, you had two witnesses saying it was missing and one guy insisting he made the drop. And yes, the fact the drop may have gotten stuck does go through people's minds, but nothing was blocking other deposits and visual inspections came up clean. It was only after they literally took the whole thing apart that they found the bag.

A lot of things had to go wrong and all of them did. The guy got a settlement, although I'm not sure what a year of your life and your job is worth.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Surprised they didn’t have a camera watching the night deposit slot. Even when I worked retail in the dinosaur-era(‘82-‘84), they had a camera permanently trained on the night depository.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Since the night drop is opened by two people, you had two witnesses saying it was missing and one guy insisting he made the drop. And yes, the fact the drop may have gotten stuck does go through people's minds, but nothing was blocking other deposits and visual inspections came up clean. It was only after they literally took the whole thing apart that they found the bag.

A lot of things had to go wrong and all of them did. The guy got a settlement, although I'm not sure what a year of your life and your job is worth.

A year is pretty lucky, because the missing amount would have been in the grand theft range. Depending on where it was grand theft is a federal prison felony, and theoretically it could have been much longer before a remodel discovered the deposit.

The bank got off pretty easy, because serving the whole sentence and then being a registered felon fucks you over big time in the job field for life.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

JnnyThndrs posted:

Surprised they didn’t have a camera watching the night deposit slot. Even when I worked retail in the dinosaur-era(‘82-‘84), they had a camera permanently trained on the night depository.

It was an old branch from the 1950's or earlier. Old enough that the basement was a cavernous expanse used for processing deposits back before proofing was done at a central location. I would not be surprised if part of their renovations was adding cameras to the night deposit area. They obviously knew the place was long overdue for a rehaul, they just did it a year too late.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The restaurant I worked at had somebody go with the manager on deposit night and I assume it was partly for just that reason. The bank also had a camera on the night box so it was pretty obvious if anything went wrong. Of course we didn't get paid for the time as it was justbl like on your way home right?

Though there was another store where apparently the gm and a cook or something would skip a day or two on a weekend, buy cocaine with the deposit, cut it, distribute it, then make the deposit and keep the drug profit. I guess it took them a year to get caught.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When I was working at U-Haul about fifteen years ago, they would let whoever was closing do the bank deposits at the end of the day. Even if it was the nineteen year old dude who ended up being caught stealing from the vending machines because the owner (of the machines) put razor blades in the chute.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That sounds like a lawsuit.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Detective No. 27 posted:

That sounds like a lawsuit.

Seersucker

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you can get your arm all the way in there then you've earned your Doritos.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The restaurant I worked at had somebody go with the manager on deposit night and I assume it was partly for just that reason. The bank also had a camera on the night box so it was pretty obvious if anything went wrong. Of course we didn't get paid for the time as it was justbl like on your way home right?

Though there was another store where apparently the gm and a cook or something would skip a day or two on a weekend, buy cocaine with the deposit, cut it, distribute it, then make the deposit and keep the drug profit. I guess it took them a year to get caught.

That's high-level thinking right there. I really doubt many of the cooks and managers I worked with would have had the brains or the discipline to pull off a scheme like that.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
That is actually really impressive. Also because they kept it together for a year before getting caught.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Apparently all those dead stores are finding use as instruments for dodging taxes.

Laura Bliss posted:

It might seem absurd that a corporation can insist that a bustling big box is worth little more than a worn-out husk many miles away. Yet this theory is winning over courts. Though most appeals are settled informally by assessors, a small and growing portion are getting kicked up to local tax boards, circuit courts, and in a few states, state supreme courts. In about half of these cases, justices are siding with big box proponents. Dark store theory has “largely withstood judicial scrutiny, leading to hundreds of store devaluations and to hundreds of millions of dollars in estimated lost tax revenue to local governments,” according to a January 2018 report by S&P Global Ratings, which warned investors of the risk the issue poses to municipal budgets.

PS: "Dark store theory" sounds way more metal than it has any right to.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

greazeball posted:

That's high-level thinking right there. I really doubt many of the cooks and managers I worked with would have had the brains or the discipline to pull off a scheme like that.

I dated a guy in college who... I'll be charitable and just say wasn't the brightest or reliable bulb in the box. He worked at a mom'n'pop video store (back when those existed), and had this elaborate embezzlement system he called "time traveling".

He knew who his regulars were, that you could count on to rent a video on Thursday and have it back like clockwork by Saturday. Or Friday/Sunday, whatever --- as long as he knew he'd be working when they'd be returning the tapes, he got away with this. They'd ring up and pay in cash. My ex would keep track of all of these customers, and at the end of the shift when all the tapes were returned he would rig the computer so it thought it was the day of the rental, and make it look like those videos never got rented. He'd calculate how much money he could steal, pocket it, then reset the computer to the correct date. At least that's how I think it worked, it honestly baffled me at the time and that was like 20+ years ago. He did that for years, and never got caught.

Sometimes folks are clever in ways you wouldn't expect.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I dated a guy in college who... I'll be charitable and just say wasn't the brightest or reliable bulb in the box. He worked at a mom'n'pop video store (back when those existed), and had this elaborate embezzlement system he called "time traveling".

He knew who his regulars were, that you could count on to rent a video on Thursday and have it back like clockwork by Saturday. Or Friday/Sunday, whatever --- as long as he knew he'd be working when they'd be returning the tapes, he got away with this. They'd ring up and pay in cash. My ex would keep track of all of these customers, and at the end of the shift when all the tapes were returned he would rig the computer so it thought it was the day of the rental, and make it look like those videos never got rented. He'd calculate how much money he could steal, pocket it, then reset the computer to the correct date. At least that's how I think it worked, it honestly baffled me at the time and that was like 20+ years ago. He did that for years, and never got caught.

If this was Blockbuster, I would approve.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Beachcomber posted:

If this was Blockbuster, I would approve.

i can see which side you were on in the blockbuster/hollywood video war

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I feel you and I could share many stories of small-company employee shenanigans. Like the guy I knew who kept a bar code of something cheap taped to his wrist, and would scan that instead of the can/bottle when his alcoholic regulars got their next single, and pocket the difference.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Apparently all those dead stores are finding use as instruments for dodging taxes.

PS: "Dark store theory" sounds way more metal than it has any right to.

This is interesting, because there is some truth behind the corporations' claims of the land being much less valuable once they're done with it. But I mean, duh, they're the reason that it's like that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i can see which side you were on in the blockbuster/hollywood video war
family video is the best of all the big chains

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That reminds me. I worked in a movie theater when I was 16/17, and one of the people I worked with would skim off the till. What he would do is whenever someone bought 4 or more tickets, he would enter the tickets as a pass, which rang up as $0.00. The customers got their tickets, and the system didn't add any cash to the sales total. He'd add whatever the amount was to an adding machine sitting right next to his cash register, and at the end of the night, he'd pocket the total.

He eventually got busted because someone attempted to get a refund on one of his passes.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Scamming big business is morally right.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I did my part. When I worked at Blockbuster as a teenager I used to let the manager of the McDonald's across the street get free rentals in exchange for free food.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

I did my part. When I worked at Blockbuster as a teenager I used to let the manager of the McDonald's across the street get free rentals in exchange for free food.

I once witnessed my friend pay a large bag of groceries including beer and a pack of sigs with a bag of berries and mushrooms he had collected during a weekend from the forest. The payment was handled and approved by the owner of the store who took them home.

And this isn't something like Fuckyouninstan, Central Siberia. This was Southern Finland in a university city but the guy haggled for a good while, and went home without paying anything for the things he bought.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Nov 19, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

I once witnessed my friend pay a large bag of groceries including beer and a pack of sigs with a bag of berries and mushrooms he had collected during a weekend from the forest. The payment was handled and approved by the owner of the store who took them home.

And this isn't something like Fuckyouninstan, Central Siberia. This was Southern Finland in a university city but the guy haggled for a good while, and went home without paying anything for the things he bought.

I'm not even surprised berries and mushrooms are considered currency in Finland. What could he have gotten for an animal hide?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm not even surprised berries and mushrooms are considered currency in Finland. What could he have gotten for an animal hide?

Nothing since the slot machines keep getting stuck by the fur. :D

(Its a local joke on why we ever switched to coins and bills in the first place)

EDIT: This probably requires you to know that we have a government-owned national monopoly company on betting and lottery, and their slot machines are available at almost every grocery store and gas station and such.

But really, there is no trapping culture here anymore. You eat the moose and such which you can hunt, and the hides are manufactured by the ever-dimishing hide-farming industry. From something shot and killed, the hide is usually not used, unless you really want to make a rug or such out of it.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Nov 19, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently David’s Bridal filed for Chapter 11 today

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Good.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I have a bad feeling about Kroger, and all the regional grocers they've absorbed.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Failson posted:

I have a bad feeling about Kroger, and all the regional grocers they've absorbed.

Why? (note: No Kroger's around me, Publix has it pretty much on lock)

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Zil posted:

Have to get three declines or they get written up most likely.

You have to get a certain amount depending on how long your shift is. It’s possible he’s being chewed out about it by his manager.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Failson posted:

Kroger ain't going anywhere, groceries are the one thing everyone buys on a weekly to daily basis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Randaconda posted:

Why? (note: No Kroger's around me, Publix has it pretty much on lock)

Any monopoly of a staple consumer good is a bad thing.