Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I kind of want to try the reworked Ice Spear for my first build, but I can't really think of anything beyond go inquisitor->stack crit->???

Here's my level 80 passive tree assuming they don't make any massive changes in the next three weeks: http://poeurl.com/b8sp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
My heart is telling me to go thematic and make a winter orb cast while channeling ice storm build, but I'm not quite sure how whispering ice interacts with cast while channeling. I know icestorm counts as linked to all the support gems you put into the whispering ice regardless of how the sockets are linked, but will it count as linked to an active skill like winter orb? If winter orb and cast while channeling were linked, would ice storm then bring all the other support gems along for the ride?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JTDistortion posted:

My heart is telling me to go thematic and make a winter orb cast while channeling ice storm build, but I'm not quite sure how whispering ice interacts with cast while channeling. I know icestorm counts as linked to all the support gems you put into the whispering ice regardless of how the sockets are linked, but will it count as linked to an active skill like winter orb? If winter orb and cast while channeling were linked, would ice storm then bring all the other support gems along for the ride?

Could you just try it right now with a diff CWC skill to see if it works?

I feel like it does.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

JTDistortion posted:

Yep, a popular whispering ice build uses cast when channeling scorching ray. The only (tiny) caveat is that the active skill and CwC must be linked, so your whispering ice needs at least a single link.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

To add on, it's decently strong but a very slow mapper compared to meta builds. I make one every couple leagues as a mid-league chill-and-play build.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

though winter orb might make that much faster if its strong since you can just sprint through maps while it auto attacks.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
I'm a pretty casual player, so strong but a bit slow is fine by me. Especially when I don't have to worry about getting 5 or 6 link things.

Now I just have to hope that winter orb doesn't end up sucking.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

JTDistortion posted:

If winter orb and cast while channeling were linked, would ice storm then bring all the other support gems along for the ride?

I'm pretty sure how it works is, ice storm is linked to everything in the staff, ice storm is linked to the things it's actually linked to

J
Jun 10, 2001

Vasudus posted:

They should in theory make a forum post with all changed/new gems at 20/20 at some point.

Also since OpenArl is now a GGG employee he'll probably have access to all the data he needs to have path of building ready to update as soon as GGG is ready to show the data.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
So I'm about to run Labyrinth the first time, and figure this is a good time to check with y'all on my stats and gear. Duelist, mid '30s, going dw sunder.

So far, I picked up Resolute Technique. Any reason not to also grab Iron Reflexes? Looks like that would completely eliminate my need for dexterity - no crits, no chance to miss, no + evasion, right?

What about Vaal Pact? I'm right near it anyway, and the only skill I took so far with life regen was Master of the Arena, which I would take anyway.

If I go this route, all I'm really looking for on gear is:
+life
+damage
armor
move speed
+resistances
attack speed

and appropriate slots, right?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Vaal Pact is kind of bad for Lab running since you won't be able to leech off of traps. Will need plenty of life potions. Also goes without saying that you'll also need leech to go with Vaal Pact.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

So I'm about to run Labyrinth the first time, and figure this is a good time to check with y'all on my stats and gear. Duelist, mid '30s, going dw sunder.

So far, I picked up Resolute Technique. Any reason not to also grab Iron Reflexes? Looks like that would completely eliminate my need for dexterity - no crits, no chance to miss, no + evasion, right?

What about Vaal Pact? I'm right near it anyway, and the only skill I took so far with life regen was Master of the Arena, which I would take anyway.

IR was more something people went for when Unwavering Stance was much more popular and heralds/blasphemy didn't exist, so it paired really well with the grace aura for a lot of mitigation (also stibnite flasks didn't exist). If you're near it and plan on using kaom's roots, go for it. Personally I think US is a noob trap, because even with garbage evasion, a stibnite flask is extremely powerful for non-jugg melee builds. It only costs 10 flask charges per use and you can put something like freeze or curse immunity on it and have very high uptime on the effect.

Vaal pact is not super great when leveling but for builds that rely on leech it's pretty necessary, but it's annoying in lab, or if you wind up at half health without flasks and you're out of stuff to fight. I always kept a devouring totem in a swap or in my inventory when I played it because I'm paranoid

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lab with vaal pact is tolerable with slayer overleech assuming you have enough

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Slayers in lab could just use The Writhing Jar, kill worms and dash through trap sections during overleech last I played one.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

If I go this route, all I'm really looking for on gear is:
+life
+damage
armor
move speed
+resistances
attack speed

and appropriate slots, right?

Don't pick Iron Reflexes unless you already have ton of armor (probably around 10k).

If you're going Champion, don't take Vaal Pact. If you're going Slayer, don't take Vaal Pact until you've done the last labyrinth (which is either 3rd or 4th depending on how much you intend to play this character) unless you're very good at taking very little damage from lab traps.

For gear, you're mostly correct, but you should also be looking for powerful unique items you can add to your build while staying at a reasonable life total and keeping your resists capped.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I think I'm going to go Dark Pact or Ice Nova (depending on the rework's numbers) totem. Pathfinder for the sweet sweet 90% all res and hope for some more % phys taken as ele mods as these new crafts. Use the +1 totems shield craft, and either Soul Mantle or some chest with some amazing new craft. Use coruscating elixir to transition into LL.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Cory in the Blouse posted:

IR was more something people went for when Unwavering Stance was much more popular and heralds/blasphemy didn't exist, so it paired really well with the grace aura for a lot of mitigation (also stibnite flasks didn't exist). If you're near it and plan on using kaom's roots, go for it. Personally I think US is a noob trap, because even with garbage evasion, a stibnite flask is extremely powerful for non-jugg melee builds. It only costs 10 flask charges per use and you can put something like freeze or curse immunity on it and have very high uptime on the effect.

Vaal pact is not super great when leveling but for builds that rely on leech it's pretty necessary, but it's annoying in lab, or if you wind up at half health without flasks and you're out of stuff to fight. I always kept a devouring totem in a swap or in my inventory when I played it because I'm paranoid

Ty for the info. Yeah, I forgot to include US on that as well. I'll skip US, IR, and VP for now, my initial plan had me going up the dex side to grab some stuff including life regen anyway, so I'll stick with that.

At what point should I start paying more attention to my gear beyond just sort of eyeballing and picking the piece with bigger numbers? Right now my resistances are 57 fire 21 cold 60 lightning (and I'm carrying a Bismuth flask for another +35% at need), but I haven't really been paying attention to them, I haven't seen anything decent with any move speed in like 25 levels, but my biggest problem is finding gear upgrades with sockets that aren't even worse than what I already have - my offhand is 3 linked reds, but otherwise I only have two double-linked reds, one red-green dual link, a red-blue dual link and a green-dual blue link that I can't take advantage of because I can't equip any blue gems.

I know energy shield got nerfed a while back and isn't particularly desirable, should I care about it at all on a (probably) gladiator dw sunder build with lots of life nodes? (I'm trying to decide between Champion and Gladiator, Gladiator looks more flexible for a first-timer)

Other notable stats at lvl 37:
Base DPS: 742 (Sunder is 1,026), fire, lightning, cold, poison, bleed, ignite are all mixed in there to some degree thanks to rings
Armor: 1044 (52% damage reduction)
Evasion: 510 (31% evade)
Chance to block: 17%
Energy Shield: 17
Life regen: 41
Mana regen: 6

Life: 1,149
Mana: 283

If I'm missing something important, please call it out so I don't get another week in and find out I've been missing something important!

e:

Eminai posted:

Don't pick Iron Reflexes unless you already have ton of armor (probably around 10k).

If you're going Champion, don't take Vaal Pact. If you're going Slayer, don't take Vaal Pact until you've done the last labyrinth (which is either 3rd or 4th depending on how much you intend to play this character) unless you're very good at taking very little damage from lab traps.

For gear, you're mostly correct, but you should also be looking for powerful unique items you can add to your build while staying at a reasonable life total and keeping your resists capped.

Thanks, yeah I'll skip IR and Vaal at least for the near future, I'd have to go a bit out of my way to pick it up anyhow. I've gotten a few uniques, but nothing close to what I can use (dagger, claw, wool gloves, bow, 2h mace)

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 17, 2018

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
No, don't treat ES as a valuable property at all without any passive tree investment.

Personally I prioritize sockets on one or two pieces of equipment regardless of their stats, so that I can have a skill to use, and make up the stats on other items.

If you're hurting for movespeed, there is a vendor recipe to make blue boots with some.

You're at an early enough point where you should be able to power through with what you have while looking for something/anything with the linked socket configuration you want.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 17, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dont be afraid to use Chromatic Orbs, Fusing Orbs, or Jewlers Orbs on gear that would be an upgrade.

Also, sometimes you just dont need the skill right now. Take a hard look at if you actually push the molton shield button. If you dont, let the gem chill in the inventory till you do.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I want to link more gems with Sunder in particular, but I'm doing OK right now as is.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
Absolutely do not use fusing or jewelers orbs on gear you get while doing the campaign. For chromes keep in mind that if you want 4 red sockets you'll want an item that has a strength requirement and no dex/int requirement. If you're really struggling and just cannot get a 4L to drop, go to https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Delve and buy one for like an alteration orb, but remember to include level requirement in your search.

For resistances you're fine for where you're at. Going forward you'll want highish fire resist at the end of act 5 and beginning of act 6, high cold at the end of act 6, high lightning at the end of act 7, and high fire/cold for all of act 8. How high depends on a lot of factors, a conservative guideline would be 50% for act 5/6 and 70+% for act 7 and later.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Eminai posted:

Absolutely do not use fusing or jewelers orbs on gear you get while doing the campaign.

???

Why in the world would you not, once you get to maps you get tons of jewelers and a decent amount of fuses, its not like either are particularly rare or valuable.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 17, 2018

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm following a guide, but my character is still really squishy:

I just fought innocence and was getting 1-shot by a few moves. Which parameter do I need to buff to survive better? Is it just raw life?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I'm following a guide, but my character is still really squishy:

I just fought innocence and was getting 1-shot by a few moves. Which parameter do I need to buff to survive better? Is it just raw life?

You have enough defences to fight innocence, now you just need to learn what moves to avoid. He's got some really big hits that are quite well telegraphed. Bringing a granite flask is still a good idea though.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

can someone give me one tangled or fractured fossile and a 4 slot resonator in delve sc so I can pick up 2 cheevos? :sweep:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

can someone give me one tangled or fractured fossile and a 4 slot resonator in delve sc so I can pick up 2 cheevos? :sweep:

My guy a 4 slot resonator is like 200c

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

yeah i know i dont have the cheddar :(

ah well

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

yeah i know i dont have the cheddar :(

ah well

Aren't there other, easier challenges left you can do? or is this what you need for 36

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Eminai posted:

Absolutely do not use fusing or jewelers orbs on gear you get while doing the campaign.

This remark makes sense in context when you keep in mind this poster complained a lot about trading being too much of a bother

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im doing a windripper MF build cause Im dumb. Should I spend my 10ex on IQ gem or Rigwald quiver? Does Fork mess with chain? I seem to remember it being weird back in the day.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

hopterque posted:

Aren't there other, easier challenges left you can do? or is this what you need for 36

no actually im trying to get 24 for the wings. i made a really bad build and it can't delve deeper than 200.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

Im doing a windripper MF build cause Im dumb. Should I spend my 10ex on IQ gem or Rigwald quiver? Does Fork mess with chain? I seem to remember it being weird back in the day.

Rigwald's is a huge clear speed boost for windripper. Probably one of the more noticeable upgrades, outside of the helm enchant.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

hopterque posted:

???

Why in the world would you not, once you get to maps you get tons of jewelers and a decent amount of fuses, its not like either are particularly rare or valuable.

Fuses are worth .3 - .5c, so if you have to spend 5 of them for a 4link on gear you'll soon grow out of, it's both a big waste and worse than just buying something for 1c that's better and already linked.

You also really don't need to be upgrading all your gear while in the campaign that often; spending another couple jewellers, fuses, and chromes every time you find something with 10 more hp is going to add up. Keep a mediocre 4 link for your main skill and just use what drops otherwise - and save your fuses for a big upgrade when you hit maps and need to cover resistances, plus have access to higher tier bases and rolls.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

ButtWolf posted:

Projectiles will, if possible, Pierce --> Fork --> Chain --> Return. If you fire 1 projectile and hit, that projectile will then Fork into two, then if those hit, they'll Chain (possibly back to the original target).

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So I did a crafting thingy today. I started out just wanting to get my 4 socket resonator challenge but it actually turned out loving great.

Started off with ilvl 86 Two-Toned Boots crafted with a perfect fossil to 28% quality.

First craft using a 4 socket resonator with Hollow, Shuddering, Pristine, and Sanctified Fossils:

Not great, decide to annul on the advice of guild chat...

YOLO Annul #1

So far so good... YOLO Annul #2

loving great! Time to slam...

Slam #1

Slam #2

After some cleaning up...

Final Item:

Seems pretty loving great. I have no idea how to price it though, the only comparable thing up is 140 Ex, so I listed mine at 100 Ex.

That's my POE crafting story. Thanks to the goons in guild chat who helped me out.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Nice boots!

I'm hoping that the Tectonic Slam rework makes it more friendly to use as a main AoE skill (without Jugg levels of endurance charge generation), because I really want to play another melee full fire Chieftain. My BLS molten strike Chief back in Bestiary was a fantastic Uber lab farmer and Shaper farmer, but this time around I want to make use of a statstick mace for the corpse explosions and phys added as fire.

I also hope Tectonic Slam looks better visually after the rework, because right now it just looks like a handful of 2012 Ground Slams taped together.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
How did I never put together that we’re fighting the Immortal Syndicate in the next league right on the heels of the Diablo announcement. It is a coincidence apparently. But what a coincidence.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Apparently they nearly called the league Immortal too. I guess if they had they'd have hurriedly changed it.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Rallos posted:

So I did a crafting thingy today. I started out just wanting to get my 4 socket resonator challenge but it actually turned out loving great.

Started off with ilvl 86 Two-Toned Boots crafted with a perfect fossil to 28% quality.

First craft using a 4 socket resonator with Hollow, Shuddering, Pristine, and Sanctified Fossils:

Not great, decide to annul on the advice of guild chat...

YOLO Annul #1

So far so good... YOLO Annul #2

loving great! Time to slam...

Slam #1

Slam #2

After some cleaning up...

Final Item:

Seems pretty loving great. I have no idea how to price it though, the only comparable thing up is 140 Ex, so I listed mine at 100 Ex.

That's my POE crafting story. Thanks to the goons in guild chat who helped me out.

Wild guess on my part, but I'd search for boots with 80+ life, 35% movespeed, 70+ resists and 35+ intelligence.

I see 3 results, two listed at ~17ex, one at 35. The two cheaper ones are both at least 2 weeks old. I'd list them for 12-13ex and lower every few days till I get a buyer.

Edit: a few comparable str/dex boots are up for 8-9ex so probably start there.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

Wild guess on my part, but I'd search for boots with 80+ life, 35% movespeed, 70+ resists and 35+ intelligence.

I see 3 results, two listed at ~17ex, one at 35. The two cheaper ones are both at least 2 weeks old. I'd list them for 12-13ex and lower every few days till I get a buyer.

Edit: a few comparable str/dex boots are up for 8-9ex so probably start there.

It has an abyssal socket