Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Only if we can get a 60s style racist disguise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8HmPAAehU8&t=56s

I can't believe I managed to guess what video that was before clicking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

How the frick do you turn off the AC in Knox's office? I've been looking everywhere for that thing!

It’s a panel in the corner office of the top floor. Should be fairly easy to locate.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Nakar posted:

He will also threaten to murder Gregory Arthur's family if Arthur thinks about outshining or upstaging him in any way. Rangan is just a giant self-important tool who treats every person around him like poo poo and pretty much no one feels bad about him dying. If you murder him with the fan opportunity, his director calls someone to report the death and from her conversation the person on the other end of the line is mostly just happy she caught his death on camera. Then it gets even more darkly ironic because one of the crew tells a new crew member that Rangan rarely actually releases films, he just writes them off as insurance losses and pockets all the money without paying anyone involved, and one thing the director happily notes in that call is that now the crew gets to collect on the insurance due to Rangan's death, in addition to profiting from selling footage of the accident.

EDIT: Also there's a square in the slums with a giant flatscreen TV, and some women are talking about how Rangan "donated" it to the people but only set it up to play his movies... until one of their 12-year-old sons hacked it to get cricket matches and news.

My "favorite" thing about Rangan is that he's smart enough to do his little shakedown in full view of his bodyguards in the middle of a giant unfinished skyscraper floor. And even if you manage to lure him away and push him off the edge, his guard won't let you leave until Rangan tells them he can personally. The egomaniacal blustery producer might genuinely be the smartest target in the Hitman franchise. That caught me so off guard at first I gave a genuine "...well played"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

My "favorite" thing about Rangan is that he's smart enough to do his little shakedown in full view of his bodyguards in the middle of a giant unfinished skyscraper floor. And even if you manage to lure him away and push him off the edge, his guard won't let you leave until Rangan tells them he can personally. The egomaniacal blustery producer might genuinely be the smartest target in the Hitman franchise. That caught me so off guard at first I gave a genuine "...well played"

Yeah they've definitely been playing with the player's expectations in the opportunities to turn them into less of an "easy free kill" thing.

In Whittleton Creek the nurse opportunity has Janus' bodyguard lock you in a room while he runs a background check on you, because it turns out that hey maybe not letting random strangers get in a room alone with his client is his entire job.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, sedative stuff basically makes people go unconscious immediately right?
What's the use case for that, really?

In most scenarios where you can afford to have someone just drop down unconscious without people reacting, you could easily just smack 'em down with something else to knock 'em out.

Or is it more that it doesn't count as evidence, and thus can be used to lure in a couple more people for easy KOs?

Also it's kind of weird how they juggled around some of the Season 1 unlocks.
You get the remote-detonated phone from Bangkok, instead of Colorado, which seems really strange, since the phone is an actual mission item there and everything.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Going back to this for a second: You mean if I play the old Hitman 1 levels inside Hitman 2, I unlock stuff to carry forward into Hitman 2 levels?

I had assumed they just shoved the old levels into the new engine, not that they'd adapted them entirely into the game. That rules.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Pierson posted:

Going back to this for a second: You mean if I play the old Hitman 1 levels inside Hitman 2, I unlock stuff to carry forward into Hitman 2 levels?

I had assumed they just shoved the old levels into the new engine, not that they'd adapted them entirely into the game. That rules.

Yup, unlocks are Hitman-2 wide.
Many of the unlocks are of course simply duplicates, where the hitman2 ones have different skins, but it does open up the option of bringing multiples of some items, which rules.

(And a couple of them are unique, Season1 stuff that is.)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Pierson posted:

Yeah, basically all maps are fully ported into hitman 2; and it even presents itself as a complete game in the main menu, starting with the ICA training facility, and going from hokkaido to the hitman 2 prologue mission. It's really well done. The only glaring issue is the fact that they didn't port over most of the escalation missions (yet?). Those are basically the only reason to boot up hitman 2016 as of now, the rest of the content has carried over in a new and improved way.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

picman

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubNat posted:

So, sedative stuff basically makes people go unconscious immediately right?
What's the use case for that, really?

In most scenarios where you can afford to have someone just drop down unconscious without people reacting, you could easily just smack 'em down with something else to knock 'em out.

Or is it more that it doesn't count as evidence, and thus can be used to lure in a couple more people for easy KOs?

Also it's kind of weird how they juggled around some of the Season 1 unlocks.
You get the remote-detonated phone from Bangkok, instead of Colorado, which seems really strange, since the phone is an actual mission item there and everything.

You're correct that the sedative poison is easily the most useless loadout item in the game, beating out other contenders like the explosive compound, proximity explosives, illegal deadly melee items like the machete and katana, unsilenced weapons, and The Big One, since all of those items have some limited utility, are at least usable substitutes for something better, or are stylish.

Theoretically, if there was a troublesome guard or other NPC who you wanted to get out of the way, and who drank/ate in a location not frequented by other NPCs, you could poison their drink and move on to setting up other stuff knowing they were out of the picture permanently, whereas if you use emetic poison they will eventually stop puking and return to their cycle. It's an extremely fringe case and I can't think of any real examples of it. And if you don't mind taking a few extra moments to just lurk in that room and pacify them you could use the loadout slot for something else, so it's only really useful when speedrunning.

I also seem to remember hearing that you can use it to knock out the sheik on some balcony in paris to climb up and steal his disguise, in a location that would be hard to get in and melee him, or something like that. I haven't tried it myself.

Ironically, the sedative syringe does have a bit more utility (though still only in fringe cases) in that it's fast and absolutely silent, letting you use it to take down clusters of two NPCs in some cases where one of the NPCs would hear if you silent attacked or subdued the other. However, that was only in Hitman (2016). In Hitman 2, they seem to have tweaked the volume for attacks so that throwing stuff is louder and silent attacks are literally silent now, removing what little fringe utility the sedative syringe had. What's more, it's all a moot point because the sedative syringe isn't available as a loadout item and can only be gotten by knocking out some random guy in the Landslide mission on Sapienza.

Pierson posted:

Yes, but there isn't all that much unlockable from the Hitman 1 content that you can't the equivalent of in hitman 2, since a lot of 2's unlocks are just the same poisons, tools, and weapons with a big ugly "2" stamped on the side. Notable exceptions are stuff like the Best sniper rifle from a Marrakesh Patient Zero escalation, the Krugermayer and Explosive phone from Bangkok, the Shurikens from Hokkaido, and I think the Remote Breaching Charges, although they've been heavily nerfed from Hitman 1. Kinda sucks since there were a lot of situations they were perfect for, but I guess I can understand since they were bordering on being OP.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 19, 2018

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Out of curiosity, I looked up the Situs Inversus condition the guy from Hokkaido has, and it's actually a real thing. It's not even particularly rare for a genetic disorder, most people with it never know they have it and those who do typically only discover it when they're in the hospital for other unrelated stuff and doctors notice that hey, this person's heart is on the right side.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

garycoleisgod posted:

It's Mastery level 15 in Paris. I know because I have been redoing the legacy levels to get my old unlocks back. Halfway through Thailand! gently caress SASO on this one, jesus christ.

I did Thailand once saso thinking it'd be easy

There hours of effort :shepface:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just lost a SASO run because 47 wanted to do a loving Iron Man landing when going through a window and sat on the ground not moving for two seconds while some guy was noticing me.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm spacing out the new levels too. I just redid the Ninja SASO challenge on Hokkaido. Somehow it caused me less trouble than my regular SA run.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AceOfFlames posted:

I didn't even see that the first time he gave me the opening to kill him, because I decided to talk to him after the "kill your whole family" speech. He walks away all smug, so I'm like "Just.. bhuh, what? Where the gently caress do you think you're going?" and just pick up a goddamn assault rifle and blow him away along with all three of his bodyguards. Then I also climb down the elevator shaft.

But yeah, I noticed the bodyguard thing afterwards when I tried to do that kill a little more smoothly. But even then, the bodyguards at the steps will still investigate eventually and find any unconscious or dead people up there. Is there any way to do an unnoticed kill or unfound body from there? Pushing a body off the side will result in somebody on the ground seeing, down the elevator shaft will probably get noticed by the stairs guards, and the two bodies I left lying around even dragged way off to the side behind cover still got seen.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bakanogami posted:

Notable exceptions are stuff like the Best sniper rifle from a Marrakesh Patient Zero escalation

I was pleasantly surprised by how easy this one was. Some escalations get pretty out there, and I don't really have a ton of patience to figure them out since you can't save in escalations, but this one's straightforward as long as you don't mind getting rid of some inconvenient witnesses.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Out of curiosity, I looked up the Situs Inversus condition the guy from Hokkaido has, and it's actually a real thing. It's not even particularly rare for a genetic disorder, most people with it never know they have it and those who do typically only discover it when they're in the hospital for other unrelated stuff and doctors notice that hey, this person's heart is on the right side.

This is true, but (fortunately for them and unfortunately for any wannabe 47's out there) they can get a transplant with normal not-backwards organs.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by how easy this one was. Some escalations get pretty out there, and I don't really have a ton of patience to figure them out since you can't save in escalations, but this one's straightforward as long as you don't mind getting rid of some inconvenient witnesses.

The one tricky bit for me was the two guards standing together downstairs that you had to coin up the stairs, but it seemed like a good chance to play with the new Grenades.

Also, I found out that if you use a concussion explosive and the blast knocks a guy off the second story roof, he doesn’t die from the fall and gets woken up by the people below.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Hitman 2 (the new one):

How come my game is totally different than other peoples? In the first mission there is supposed to be a lockpick in the panic room, only the dongle in my game and all the guns. In the second mission when you push the racecar driver down the shaft as the flamingo it was just you and her on the youtube i watched (got stuck and couldnt figure out how to trigger her coming to the meeting so googled), but in my game there are two guards watching us so i can't push her without them seeing it.

Edit: Unlocked it anyway just by pushing her down in front of the guards, dying, reloading and then quitting the mission. Thats loving stupid, whats even the point if you can cheese it that easily. Still interested in figuring out why everything is so different in my game tho.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 19, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dongattack posted:

Hitman 2 (the new one):

How come my game is totally different than other peoples? In the first mission there is supposed to be a lockpick in the panic room, only the dongle in my game and all the guns. In the second mission when you push the racecar driver down the shaft as the flamingo it was just you and her on the youtube i watched (got stuck and couldnt figure out how to trigger her coming to the meeting so googled), but in my game there are two guards watching us so i can't push her without them seeing it.

What difficulty did you pick?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Gaz-L posted:

What difficulty did you pick?

The hardest one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dongattack posted:

The hardest one.

That would be why. Hard moves item locations and changes things like guard placement and how the AI reacts to things. Those videos will all have been on Professional, which is normal difficulty.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dongattack posted:

Hitman 2 (the new one):

Edit: Unlocked it anyway just by pushing her down in front of the guards, dying, reloading and then quitting the mission. Thats loving stupid, whats even the point if you can cheese it that easily. Still interested in figuring out why everything is so different in my game tho.

If you're on Mastery difficulty, they do remove things / add guards. I was doing Master in the first mission and can confirm that there is no lockpick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dongattack posted:

The hardest one.

The hardest difficulty removes a bunch of items, moves around and adds more guards and adds more security cameras.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yes, I look very trustworthy. I'm the trust-worthiest-man in town.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ah okay, that's good i guess. That particular one seems pretty balls to the wall hard to do on Mastery, not that it really matters anyway since they just give it to you if you do it and then fail the mission apparently.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Are you playing that level before the update finishes downloading? I was doing that last night and the before and after on that map had completely different items.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dongattack posted:

Ah okay, that's good i guess. That particular one seems pretty balls to the wall hard to do on Mastery, not that it really matters anyway since they just give it to you if you do it and then fail the mission apparently.

The only challenges that give you special recognition for completing them on Master mode are the "Classic" category full-run challenges like "Suit Only Silent Assassin" etc but outside of that it's just for fun and bragging rights.

And yeah, you can savescum to complete most challenges more quickly, but that's between you and God if you choose to do so

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The highest difficulty is kind of masochistic. More guards/cameras, fewer/moved items- sure. But the one save per mission is a pain in the rear end when you consider how many times you get weird stuff like people seeing you through walls, people randomly turning around so they see you just before you punch them in the face, etc.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

goferchan posted:

And yeah, you can savescum to complete most challenges more quickly, but that's between you and God if you choose to do so

Mm yeah, really takes the fun out of it for me tho when i know that instead of meticulously planning everything, pulling it off with one save only and then managed to get out unseen to get credit for it i can just run up to the target and shoot them in the head or whatever surrounded by all the guards on the map, die, quit out and still get the "hey good job lol".

I'll try to just pretend i don't know about it i guess.

And yeah 1 save only sucks, already ran into a few bugs that broke the Miami mission. Might go down to Professional if there are options to completely turn off the guidance system (havent looked yet and going to bed now).

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Bakanogami posted:

The highest difficulty is kind of masochistic. More guards/cameras, fewer/moved items- sure. But the one save per mission is a pain in the rear end when you consider how many times you get weird stuff like people seeing you through walls, people randomly turning around so they see you just before you punch them in the face, etc.

Oh yeah. Master runs tend to be the point where I begin to ask myself "Am I doing this because I'm having fun, or because my lizard brain feels compelled to tick off the box?"

At least with Master you can argue that the single save ups the tension and forces you to plan carefully. But then you have things like a Feat in Sgail that requires you to dump forty-loving-seven people into the sea. At that point I end up feeling less like a calculating Hitman and more like an errand boy for Poseidon.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the mission story for all three guys on mumbai is cool especially how you can do like the other mission stories to set each one up

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dongattack posted:

And yeah 1 save only sucks, already ran into a few bugs that broke the Miami mission. Might go down to Professional if there are options to completely turn off the guidance system (havent looked yet and going to bed now).

You can turn off everything in the options menu. It's not tied to difficulty.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dongattack posted:

Yeah all the guidance stuff is customizable regardless of difficulty. I wish you could just do a custom difficulty setting though because I like stuff like "blood ruins disguises" but don't want the limited saves

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My personal preference for most balanced difficulty is Professional + no guidance stuff. I use saves more like waypoints - "I cleared this area, time to save" and the benefit of this is that I don't get super frustrated during a super-long level when I make 1 mistake and have to scrap like forty minutes worth of work.

It's cool to play on Master, but I prefer to save that for a focused "I'm going to SASO and get out" instead of doing any goofy challenges.

And finally I like that casual difficulty exists, but I can't see myself ever using it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only reason to play on Master is because you want to or because you want to get The Classics for master difficulty. Something to do once you've done everything else on pro and you have mastered the map.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I had a ton of fun with the Kashmirian mission story cluster on Mumbai. Ended up choosing the Barber for the final kill but that feels almost like the perfect way to do the level.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Agent 47, your destination is the Bellingshausen Station. Your target is Oleg Beloguzov, a man who has spent years tormenting his coworkers by revealing the ending of books they were reading. Welcome....to Antarctica.

(Sadly not a real game level, though a real event, but I think something like a polar base would be an interesting location)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mary had a little clam posted:

I had a ton of fun with the Kashmirian mission story cluster on Mumbai. Ended up choosing the Barber for the final kill but that feels almost like the perfect way to do the level.

Especially if you do it the Helping Hand way and aren't even there for the kills. "Doo dee doo, I'm just putting a tube of paint on this table, there's no possible way this could result in any deaths, no siree bob"