Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Benson Cunningham posted:

I have revised my power rankings now that I own/played more decks. Fight me.

Untamed
Logos
Mars - Shadow - Brobnar
Dis - Sanctum

Untamed is really good. It has high Æmber production, good combos, and Mimicry, which is a top 10 card imo.

Logos + strong use of the archive leads to turns where you get to drop 10+ cards. With capture denial and Foggify you can get a ton of milage out of this house.

Brobnar jumps up the ranks. Situationally useful since they don't have many play abilities. If you get the right grip though, or have the right supporting cast, they can easily board clear.

Dis could be very strong, but I think you have to luck into the right set of cards in a way you don't have to for Untamed or Logos. Sanctum just takes too long to get running. I guess if you drop six Sanctum on your first turn you'll probably win, but the odds are against it.

I still don't think it's really useful to rank the houses this way, because what matters is what bits of them you get, not which ones are available overall.

Untamed probably has the strongest combos in the game and the strongest cards in the game, but it doesn't matter if all you get is bears and niffle apes. Dis probably has the weakest bunch - but it doesn't matter if you get 3 dust imps, and multiple Gateways to Dis and Arise. Or gateways to Dis and lifewards ugh that is so unfun. Sanctum definitely has some insanely good cards, especially in combo with mars - it has several big-area Stuns, several big aember generation cards, mass stun removal, an out of turn forge, etc etc etc. Just cos someone has sanctum brobs and dis doesn't mean their deck is bad, and just because they have untamed logos mars doesn't mean it's good.

The relative strength of the houses overall is mostly irrelevant, because *you don't get to pick what you get*. And even given that, I honestly think they're all pretty solidly balanced in terms of overall power - they all have very strong strengths and very weak weaknesses. If I had to put anything on top it would be Untamed, and anything on bottom it would probably be Brobnar - they have the least flexibility. To get good aember generation with them you HAVE to be fighting or reaping, they have the lowest amount of raw aember of any faction and very little delay, so they're super vulnerable to wipes, stuns, bounces etc.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Things I learned: while it's fun to play control cards like Miasma, Deep Probe, and Etherspider early on to gain a big lead, it might be better to save them for later to prevent a win to eke out a few more turns.

It doesn't really matter when you play them, as long as you play them to effect (Miasma obviously has to be played when they are about to forge). They gain you the same number of turns regardless. Playing them early also means you get a chance to mill through and get them again. And holding onto a card in hand because you want to play it later is almost always a dreadful idea. Especially a creature like Ether Spider. Taking up 1/6 of your handspace and 1/6 of you big turn play is almost always terrible. Happening to DRAW them later is good, potentially - and archiving them for later is probably the best possible option.

The big thing I've learned from repeated plays in person and online is that the pattern of this game is to try to set up big combo turns, be it slapping down a bunch of brobs and fighting with them with Loot the Bodies, Warsong etc active, or a full moon/hunting witch/dust pixies/choto hazri one-turn forge, or just a straight up play-everything with Library Access, the aim should be to have a succession of relatively small turns, keeping small amounts of aember rolling in whilst building a hand of a single house that combos well. The point of skill and judgement is knowing when to fire it and when not to, how risky it is to fire it if it's getting you up to double-figures in aember, etc. ANd knownig when to fire it even if the key elements haven't shown up yet, too.

The worst thing that can happen is starting with a 2/2/2 hand, mulliganing to a 2/2/1 hand, playing 2 of the first house, drawing 2 of the same house, etc. It hurts tempo so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

This is my favourite deck so far, "Zaslider" Marlyn, Wall Champion.

It has 2 gateway, 2 cowards end, and a Three Fates, making it hard for the opponents to go wide. The shadow cards are excellent as well, triple seekers needle is great for sniping weenies.

My biggest problem with this deck at our launch event was winning in time. With my artifacts I can take over the game but it is so slow, and you only get 35 minutes for a best of one match.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yeah this game has a lot of dead turns so setting up those big combo turns where you just go off and make a shitload of amber or burn everything they've done to the ground is really important. Having Arise! in your deck makes this real easy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I witnessed a hard lock in a casual game tonight. Player 1 got Restringuntus(other player can't choose X as active house) up with a big taunt protecting it, then Player 2 had their hand completely full of the banned house and not enough board to get through to Restringus. This wasn't that far into the game either. Literally nothing Player 2 could do.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Somberbrero posted:

I witnessed a hard lock in a casual game tonight. Player 1 got Restringuntus(other player can't choose X as active house) up with a big taunt protecting it, then Player 2 had their hand completely full of the banned house and not enough board to get through to Restringus. This wasn't that far into the game either. Literally nothing Player 2 could do.

Yup. Restringuntus is a HUGE threat creature, unless you can kill it straight away there's a big risk of getting locked, and if you get locked, you lose. It sucks, say GG, move onto the next match or play a casual one until the next round.

(And if they have Restringuntus, don't play Pitlord)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

frameset posted:

This is my favourite deck so far, "Zaslider" Marlyn, Wall Champion.

It has 2 gateway, 2 cowards end, and a Three Fates, making it hard for the opponents to go wide. The shadow cards are excellent as well, triple seekers needle is great for sniping weenies.

My biggest problem with this deck at our launch event was winning in time. With my artifacts I can take over the game but it is so slow, and you only get 35 minutes for a best of one match.

I feel like this deck is good at preventing your opponent from winning but awful at actually getting you the win.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like this deck is good at preventing your opponent from winning but awful at actually getting you the win.

Once you've wrested control of the game, you can steal/reap using your Shadows creatures. Particularly if you spend the turn before on Dis and Arise back all your shadows guys. Trubaru can get you a big boost of aember as well, especially with Speed Sigil out so you can play him, attack someone, hopefully trade with a big guy or a creature that's got captured aember.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't think I'd call 2 amber a big boost but I suppose being able to arise a bunch of creatures back right after you've cleared the board is pretty good.

I just feel like with such a small creature pool you can easily run into a problem where you can't slow them down long enough to get that control.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 19, 2018

moms friend from work
Mar 28, 2010
I'M THE WURST
I've cracked seven decks now and I keep coming back to my first deck Redskull, The Sluggish Vents Philosopher

This deck has so many tricks and non creature fighting ways to remove opponent threats. I got to live the dream at a tournament recently and get bulleteye and replicator on the board with experimental therapy on both for a couple rounds of flank creature removal+reap with a speed sigil+nexus to keep a lash of broken dreams artifact constantly locked down.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Whispering Reliquary is my favoritest turn-1 single card play ever :allears: Either that or Customs Office.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

The name and deck icon is also on the front, so it takes 5 seconds to splay a deck and check.

I gotta say this game is growing on me, it really is a nice casual experience.

I’ve run many tournaments and ran MTG tournaments back in the day and you wouldn’t believe the number of players who wouldn’t even cut the players deck. Asking players to go through every card while pulling down the sleeve is not going to happen sometimes as excitement over getting started will overcome rational behavior. Naturally some cheaters will eventually get caught but there are tons of MtG stories of players playing with stacked decks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

food court bailiff posted:

Whispering Reliquary is my favoritest turn-1 single card play ever :allears: Either that or Customs Office.

I haven't seen customs office, can you link a deck with it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mayveena posted:

I’ve run many tournaments and ran MTG tournaments back in the day and you wouldn’t believe the number of players who wouldn’t even cut the players deck. Asking players to go through every card while pulling down the sleeve is not going to happen sometimes as excitement over getting started will overcome rational behavior. Naturally some cheaters will eventually get caught but there are tons of MtG stories of players playing with stacked decks.

No need to pull down any sleeves, it’s really a quick glance to check a deck looking at the front or back of cards unless you want to count the number of cards. Sure people will still cheat but the game doesn’t make that inherently easier or anything.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

No need to pull down any sleeves, it’s really a quick glance to check a deck looking at the front or back of cards unless you want to count the number of cards. Sure people will still cheat but the game doesn’t make that inherently easier or anything.

In organized play, your cards have to be in opaque sleeves to prevent card marking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mayveena posted:

In organized play, your cards have to be in opaque sleeves to prevent card marking.

The front of Keyforge cards have the deck name prominently displayed on the bottom right so that doesn’t prevent you checking a deck in 5 seconds.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 19, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; nevermind

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 19, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

The front of Keyforge cards have the deck name prominently displayed on the bottom right so that doesn’t prevent you checking a deck in 5 seconds.

As the comment above demonstrates, a lot of people aren’t going to do it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yes but that could apply to any game ever. Focusing on that aspect for this game isn’t really fair because it’s not any harder to detect than in any other game. Easier I would argue, since the deck list is part of the game and the set is printed all over the cards. Checking a magic decks legality is harder because you have to know every cards set and rotation for the format, count copies, etc etc.

Sab669 posted:

^^How is it going to "take 5 seconds" to slid 36 cards out of their sleeve enough so you can verify the card back? That's a huge pain in the rear end.

For the third time, the FRONT of the cards list the deck name.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sab669 posted:

^^How is it going to "take 5 seconds" to slid 36 cards out of their sleeve enough so you can verify the card back? That's a huge pain in the rear end.

Bottom Liner posted:

editing to add: Also this is kind of a nonissue because at a lot of tournaments I've been to your deck gets checked if you make the cut or win, so even if someone is totally cheating they're not really going to profit from it. Adding to that the fact that decks will almost certainly start needing to be registered for 'serious' organized play and I think it's just not going to be worth the effort.

Also:

IcePhoenix posted:

I haven't seen customs office, can you link a deck with it?

Sure! https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/06d0cac6-9f50-4323-8b24-a0c61b4ed552 It makes your opponent pay you amber, which I'm not sure I've seen on any other cards.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 19, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sure! https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/06d0cac6-9f50-4323-8b24-a0c61b4ed552 It makes your opponent pay you amber, which I'm not sure I've seen on any other cards.

Oh my god if you could get that in play at the same time as Whispering Reliquary :lol:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh my god if you could get that in play at the same time as Whispering Reliquary :lol:

I've done it, my opponent was not happy at all but they still managed to win.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea that's what I get for shitposting at work without sufficient amounts of coffee in me yet :v:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
There are cheaters in every game. There isn't enough monetary prize support in this game to make cheating worthwhile endeavor and comparing it to magic isn't productive.

The game will not be ruined by cheaters anymore or less than any other game is and this is dumb derail.

What is good discussion though is card chat! I'd definitely like to hear what people think are other powerful cards and maybe try to form a top five for each faction to put in the OP as a quick reference for people when they crack a deck to look for.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 19, 2018

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

This game I want to go buy four more decks please send help (don't send help)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PaybackJack posted:

What is good discussion though is card chat! I'd definitely like to hear what people think are other powerful cards and maybe try to form a top five for each faction to put in the OP as a quick reference for people when they crack a deck to look for.

I nominate One Last Job. Shadows Action Card: Play: Purge each friendly Shadows creature. Steal 1 aember for each creature purged this way. If you have a few urchins, it’s super easy to drop them and then purge them. Even a single Urchin into One Last Job steals 2 amber and gets you 1 extra, which is a 5 amber swing. If you already have some other stealing tools on the board, you can increase that gap even further. I was on 8 amber with two keys forged against an opponent with 4 amber and 1 key, I was absolutely sure I had the game in the bag, since he had like two creatures on the board. He dropped four shadow creatures (two of which were urchins) and then One Last Jobbed, which stole a total of six amber from me and earned him 7. Suddenly he's at 11 amber and I'm at 2, and I couldn't keep him from easily winning the game. It's a MASSIVE swing tool.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 19, 2018

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I have a deck with a really fun card whose name I forget, but it's an artifact that makes every creature discarded from play get purged. The deck doesn't actually win, but it's hilarious to reshuffle my discard pile, draw to a hand of 6, and have 5 cards left in my deck afterward.

EDIT: Here it is, The Composed Footman (assuming this link works, I'm phone posting from the airport).

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 19, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CirclMastr posted:

I have a deck with a really fun card whose name I forget, but it's an artifact that makes every creature discarded from play get purged. The deck doesn't actually win, but it's hilarious to reshuffle my discard pile, draw to a hand of 6, and have 5 cards left in my deck afterward.

EDIT: Here it is, The Composed Footman (assuming this link works, I'm phone posting from the airport).

I mean, if you can make those 11 cards into a real good combo, then that would actually be really strong - you could just repeat that power turn over and over. Not sure if it's possible with that deck, but I imagine it might be something you could do with some combination of cards.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You know what would be neat? If in the app you could swipe Left / Right to scroll through the cards in your deck, rather Tap a card to view it, tap the X specifically to close it, tap the next card...

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My LGS is getting ten boxes in this week/early next week and then said there probably isn't more until after Christmas. I might get a box and treat myself to a mini-advent calendar.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Have about 12 decks, but this one is my favorite so far!

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/c29bc75b-4d1b-4491-94ec-87ab8419dacc

Dis is slowly becoming my favorite house.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

My LGS is getting ten boxes in this week/early next week and then said there probably isn't more until after Christmas. I might get a box and treat myself to a mini-advent calendar.

Knowing what we are able to order and that doesn't seem true. We ordered triple that today and didn't have any problems. Starters are a different issue and those won't be coming for quite awhile.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This is my favorite deck/cards right now: https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/60b0604b-c52c-4dc7-a20d-b6beab005381

Light on creatures, but so far seems to be the perfect mix of creatures or artifacts and actions. Lots of direct/aoe damage. My favorite card right now is special delivery = 1 ember + omni deal 3 + purge. Two Motherguns is like the perfect number. A deck with Ozmo AND Mars.

Edit: and this is my favorite deck I have but haven't played yet: https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/7892653d-e409-4f85-92d1-5ee857ba2b47

I just think it is really solid in all 3 houses with basically no dead cards and some powerful effects. I'd basically just call it "good stuff".

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 20, 2018

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

We were told by our rep that they are sold out on orders for the time being. We ordered 10 more display boxes and they are already sold out on preorder. Its insane!

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

There's a few cards that do that. For example, there's a Dis creature that forces your opponent to pay you amber any time they want to activate an artifact.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

We were told by our rep that they are sold out on orders for the time being. We ordered 10 more display boxes and they are already sold out on preorder. Its insane!

You should be able to order them next week. Brand new order of Archon decks will be arriving at distributors this week and should be available next week unless Thanksgiving seriously affects that. The Archon decks are basically as close to print on demand as they can be and should almost always be in stock. Starters are a whole different product that will likely come out in batches.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

ShowTime posted:

You should be able to order them next week. Brand new order of Archon decks will be arriving at distributors this week and should be available next week unless Thanksgiving seriously affects that. The Archon decks are basically as close to print on demand as they can be and should almost always be in stock. Starters are a whole different product that will likely come out in batches.

Great to hear! This has exploded at our LGS, we had 58 for or Release event.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

Great to hear! This has exploded at our LGS, we had 58 for or Release event.

Same. We didn't get 58, but we've had so many people pick up the game that I never expected to ever touch a card game. I'm a little concerned with longevity, but I can say that it is very fun to be a part of a new experience in gaming. No other game has ever done what Keyforge is doing and it's cool seeing people excited about it, even if they may lose interest. Keyforge is always going to be this accessible. Even if people lose interest for a few months, $10 gets them a deck when that new set is released.

It's a very interesting concept in gaming that has never been done before and it's doing incredibly well.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't know what my favorite house is, but I can tell you I hate Mars and will probably trade away any deck with Mars in it unless the synergies are amazing. "Comes in stunned" is too big of a drawback when all creatures already come in tapped.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

LifeLynx posted:

I don't know what my favorite house is, but I can tell you I hate Mars and will probably trade away any deck with Mars in it unless the synergies are amazing. "Comes in stunned" is too big of a drawback when all creatures already come in tapped.

I have two Mars paired with brobnar decks and for a minimum investment you can get zorg rolling. The stun is huge- aim to kill something of one house and stun something of each of the others. Plus Tunk is pretty great, and archiving to power up dudes rocks. I like Mars a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

Mars has a ton of dumb/bad cards, but just as many really great cards. My two best decks both have Mars in them. Crystal Hive is so good. The biggest creature that comes into played stunned also has taunt, so it's doing something while you remove the stun from it. Mothergun is also crazy. Ping for 2-3 damage is fantastic when you are just going to play those cards anyway.