Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RockPaperShotgun had it at number 3 on Steam, with Gold edition at number 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I got Hitman S1 for something like $13 after all the content came out, so I splurged for the Gold Edition this time around. I hope it does well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I doubt physical console sales in the UK are the deciding factor here. Game's hopefully done well but ultimately we'll never know unless they go under suddenly or come out with a press release that says it sold crazy well. Those are the only times sales figures generally come out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A lot of people have been stressing their scrotums off about the sales ITT. It's worth noting that according to this year-old iO interview, throughout 2017 Hitman 2016's "non-dormant" player-count increased from 2 to 7 million due to word of mouth about how holy crap this game's good. Worth remembering.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Kins posted:

A lot of people have been stressing their scrotums off about the sales ITT. It's worth noting that according to this year-old iO interview, throughout 2017 Hitman 2016's "non-dormant" player-count increased from 2 to 7 million due to word of mouth about how holy crap this game's good. Worth remembering.

You're a good soul. Now promise me there'll be a season three.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Considering that competition, I'd say making it onto the top 10 is pretty good. (also wow, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still selling?)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Xanderkish posted:

Compare that with Mumbai, where even with a suit I can approach Vanya Shaw from like six or seven different angles and be able to take her out. Yesterday I barely infiltrated the train yard at all and shot her through a dirty piece of glass while standing on a beachside shipping container.

This is how I got her my first (so far only) time through that map. I just stumbled on to great sniping locations for both her and the guy in the tower while trying to figure things out. Felt pretty good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why do content bundles in F2P games count?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Mantis42 posted:

This is how I got her my first (so far only) time through that map. I just stumbled on to great sniping locations for both her and the guy in the tower while trying to figure things out. Felt pretty good.

Oh drat, what was your location for Rangan? I've only managed to snipe him from the beach tower after giving the director the script and prompting him to come onto the set.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Why do content bundles in F2P games count?
Because this is the retail charts and that Fortnite bundle is sold as a physical retail package that kids can ask their easily-confused parents for for Christmas.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Xanderkish posted:

Oh drat, what was your location for Rangan? I've only managed to snipe him from the beach tower after giving the director the script and prompting him to come onto the set.

Like I said, I've only played the map once so I don't know it that well, but there's a gang hideout near the slums with a metal lookout tower on top. During Rangan's cycle there are 2 opportunities to hit him: when he's on the higher floor making a phone call(?) and briefly when he's passing between floors on the stairs. Its a long shot and if you don't get him in one your cover is blown, somehow, which is kind of lame.

Found it by complete accident.

e: nearby guards will hear the shot if you don't knock them out or use a silenced rifle. There's nowhere to hide up there so be careful.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 19, 2018

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Bakanogami posted:

And yeah, if the laptop is shut down with the dongle, he'll turn it back on, then stand at the edge and be like "Hey, that's my daughter's car!" all excited. That voice line's the cue for the challenge. It's done in a little cutscene where 47 gives him a lively kick to make it all the way to the track. If you just dump him he slides down the building to the bit by the track, not on it.

That's great! I love these games. :allears:

Going to go for Pink Army tonight. I think I have a good route planned. Fingers crossed.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i think hitman has a marketing problem because it's out there as kind of a singleplayer action FPS and a lot of people who aren't familiar with the franchise see it and assume that's what it is when in reality it's a funny point and click adventure game where all the puzzles result in death

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 19, 2018

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

poverty goat posted:

a funny point and click adventure game where all the puzzles result in death

new thread title please

also i'm trying to do tuppence a wish in bangkok and fuuuuuuck i forgot how bad this was in the first game. do i need to get all the coins in the level? i brought 3 of my own and have 14 total, plus some 'special' coins

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so I accidentally found a use for sedatives, in miami, I poisoned the victory cup with a sedative rather than the lethal poison by mistake, and then engineered the target to win. She then drank from the sedative ... and fell forward into the environmental hazard.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

double nine posted:

so I accidentally found a use for sedatives, in miami, I poisoned the victory cup with a sedative rather than the lethal poison by mistake, and then engineered the target to win. She then drank from the sedative, fell unconcious ... and fell forward into the environmental hazard.

That rules

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

UK gamers are batshit because loving Crash Bandicoot was no.1 for months and I guess the same people are buying Spyro. I'd rather see the NA sales.

Replaying the older levels before the new ones and I'm still finding new things. Came across a cool moment after you are introduced as Tobias Rieper to Dalia wherein I overheard her in the bathroom talking to a phone contact, telling them to run a background check on "Tobias Rieper." Makes perfect sense that she'd do that but I never caught that bit of conversation before.

Also pretty funny how often and early Jordan Cross gets mentioned in the first 2 maps. They telegraphed Bangkok pretty hard.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Replaying the older levels before the new ones and I'm still finding new things. Came across a cool moment after you are introduced as Tobias Rieper to Dalia wherein I overheard her in the bathroom talking to a phone contact, telling them to run a background check on "Tobias Rieper." Makes perfect sense that she'd do that but I never caught that bit of conversation before.

stay in the bathroom and she makes a second phonecall

also, the phone contact is ezra berg

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DLC Inc posted:

UK gamers are batshit because loving Crash Bandicoot was no.1 for months and I guess the same people are buying Spyro.

You're saying we have taste.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's one bit in Miami that makes me feel genuinely bad for Sierra Knox, where if you get her to win the race her dad comes down to talk to her before she goes up on the podium, and she very clearly wants him to congratulate her and all he'll talk about is how great his car and suit is. The context makes this extra sad because you're likely only going to hear this dialogue right after you've just set something up that will kill her a minute after this conversation.

If you hang around the mechanics after you sabotage her car into crashing, the head mechanic will call Robert to tell him what’s happened, and it’s implied he doesn’t care if it doesn’t interrupt the convention he’s at.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how for all of the ironic kills to Knox like the android shooting him or the car backfiring into his face he realizes what is going to happen right before it does and is like "ah geez", "oopsadoodle looks like I'm going to get robocopped aw shucks".

I replayed Paris finally and got to the female target effortlessly. On the way out of the fashion show I just idly whipped a screwdriver at the other one, somehow no one noticed me, and I just kept walking as the alarms went off. I still can't navigate the god drat stairs though. :v:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
How many octane boosters exist in Miami? I know about the obvious one on the exhibition floor and the easy one in the garage immediately behind the showroom car, is there a third somewhere?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Back to Mastery 20 on every single map now, with 100% completion of the tutorials, Paris, Colombia, and Mumbai. My level has hit the high 300s and at some point the Silverballers turned into Siegers and the Siegers turned into daggers. Looking forward to seeing what else, if anything, they change to, and just how ludicrously high one's level can go.

Dr Cheeto posted:

How many octane boosters exist in Miami? I know about the obvious one on the exhibition floor and the easy one in the garage immediately behind the showroom car, is there a third somewhere?
There should be at least one more in the garages, it's mentioned that the other teams except Kronstadt are using it and I recall finding one in the Kowoon pit and one of the other pits.

EDIT: Some info on free disguises on Miami now that I think about it, since I did a lot of looking around while making contracts:
  • Kronstadt Engineer: In the coat check room at the Kronstadt Center, to the left as you enter from the dolphin fountain.
  • Race Marshal: Downstairs from the race stands, past the guy mopping in the bathrooms.
  • Medic: In the little side room of the medical station.
  • Event Crew: In the storage room to the left of the knocked out mascot and the female medic attending to him.
  • Event Security: Behind the sleepy guy in the security room. Or if you look at it another way, past the card key door in the lobby area where the mascot opportunity guy is on his phone.
  • Kowoon Mechanic: In the locker room in the basement of the pit building. Same area has the Pale Rider/Stig outfit in the back where the showers are.
Weirdly, it feels like Santa Fortuna has few free disguises (outside some specific ones like the Submarine Engineer and Band Drummer), but there is a dead Mansion Guard washed up by the waterfall near the construction site so that's a free guard disguise which is unusual. I'll have to explore more. Mumbai has a lot of free ones but I'm still pinning down where they all are as Mumbai is legitimately gigantic and confusing, there's ones for nearly every outfit it feels like. Whittleton Creek has a few free ones in the secret tunnel but maybe there's even more I'm missing. In Sgail, there's an Ark Society Member outfit on display in the basement area that Zoe will take you to if you pass the initiation. I assumed people were looking at it too closely to just walk up and change into it if you don't do the opportunity, but that isn't true; if you're crouched and the wandering guard isn't specifically looking, it's possible to just change right in front of everyone and get away with it.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 19, 2018

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Dr Cheeto posted:

There's one in basically every single non-kronstadt pit area

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blasmeister posted:

There's one in basically every single non-kronstadt pit area

there's one just inside the yellow garage on the right that's easy to steal from the VIP area with no costume

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

New favorite NPC is the harpist in the final level that minds her God drat business.

a corpse just came to life, killed my boss, and threw her over the cliff? I'm just paid to play the harp

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
^^^ Happens also in the council floors with the violinist. I have moved through there a few times accompanied by a hail of gunfire, and the whole time he just keeps playing. Even when I do murder runs I leave him be because he's just so dedicated.

DLC Inc posted:

Replaying the older levels before the new ones and I'm still finding new things. .

I redid Hokkaido yesterday after mastery level 20ing it on Hitman 1 and just found out there's a trail behind the hot springs leading down to the snowmobiles and garage. gently caress that would have saved me a lot of time.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Is anyone else experiencing crashes to desktop in Hitman 2? I thought it was related to a GPU overclocked, but I reset it to default and it's still happening (though not as often). It only happened once last night in 3-4 hours, but it's still annoying.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Is anyone else experiencing crashes to desktop in Hitman 2? I thought it was related to a GPU overclocked, but I reset it to default and it's still happening (though not as often). It only happened once last night in 3-4 hours, but it's still annoying.

Eyyyy me too! I also thought it was an o/c but it still occurs when set to stock. Is it some paragraph long error about dx11 that you're getting as well? I had it happen a good 4 or 5 times throughout the day yesterday.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So that guy who was doing the kill everyone challenges in Hitman 1 just did Miami. 322 kills.

And those octane booster bottles explode when you throw them at people.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Interesting changes to the way coins work:
  • As has probably been noted already, coins feel weightier and bounce less, both off walls and off the ground.
  • NPCs no longer respond to dropping a coin in front of them, except to tell you not to drop stuff. However, they will take interest in coins placed in front of them, even if they see you do it. It's still possible to position people close to edges for kick kills, just place the coin instead of dropping it.
  • Fetch trick does not work even with a placed coin and will in fact confuse the hell out of whoever saw the placed coin. They won't go where you threw it though.
  • NPCs will in fact breadcrumb-trail their way through a line of coins on the floor. Sometimes they pick each one up in sequence, sometimes they ignore each when they see the next shiny thing.
  • People, even targets, are far more likely to investigate a coin on the floor themselves than the sound of a coin being thrown. This can peel civilians away from guards they might otherwise ask to check for them.
  • If you drop a coin and nobody sees it, then bump into them so they turn around, they'll often go after the coin. Usually.
EDIT: Also, the gun distraction trick of shooting high on a wall/ceiling that has a floor above it to make NPCs go all the way upstairs to check still works, and works on certain new maps such as Miami in the Kronstadt Center. It should in theory work anywhere, but Sgail has very high ceilings in some areas and it may be difficult to shoot high enough to both lure a person to a higher floor and have them actually hear the gunshot impact.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 19, 2018

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

CuddleCryptid posted:

New favorite NPC is the harpist in the final level that minds her God drat business.

a corpse just came to life, killed my boss, and threw her over the cliff? I'm just paid to play the harp

To be fair, all the musicians are blindfolded in that mission. But yeah agreed, that was a great mission story. I ended it with spooking the other sister so hard she ran away and then I dropped a gargoyle on her. Good times.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

il serpente cosmico posted:

Probably because these games are almost exclusively designed to be on console. I haven't had any issues with PS4 and I've played all the missions this weekend.

I remember the PC version was pretty buggy and had CTD on the HITMAN (2016) version when I played it. I always just plugged in a xbox controller anyway because the game doesn't really require anything super precise and controllers don't make my wrists hurt as bad as sitting at a keyboard for hours.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

f#a# posted:

To be fair, all the musicians are blindfolded in that mission.[/spoiler]
The musicians are blind, but also curiously appear to be deaf. I've gunned down everyone in the room below the council chamber and the musician in there didn't do a thing despite definitely being close enough to hear the people getting shot. If I had to guess, the musician NPCs are in the equivalent of a flashbanged state at all times, and are simply incapable of detecting anything around them.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Is there a way to switch active weapons while keeping the weapon concealed?

Also re: coin chat, what's the difference between "placing" and "dropping"?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You drop an item by pressing down the DPad (on PS4 at least) and place it with R1+L1, giving you a green outline where you can set something down in a specific location.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Zigmidge posted:

Eyyyy me too! I also thought it was an o/c but it still occurs when set to stock. Is it some paragraph long error about dx11 that you're getting as well? I had it happen a good 4 or 5 times throughout the day yesterday.

I'm not actually getting an error message. The process just closes and sends me back to the desktop. Though I did get one blue screen, too.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Probably because these games are almost exclusively designed to be on console. I haven't had any issues with PS4 and I've played all the missions this weekend.

I remember the PC version was pretty buggy and had CTD on the HITMAN (2016) version when I played it. I always just plugged in a xbox controller anyway because the game doesn't really require anything super precise and controllers don't make my wrists hurt as bad as sitting at a keyboard for hours.

I didn't have any problems with the original, but I might chalk this up to the game being new. I didn't play through Hitman 1 until it'd been out for months.

I am using an Xbone controller. Third person games rarely feel good to me with a M+KB.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nakar posted:

The musicians are blind, but also curiously appear to be deaf. I've gunned down everyone in the room below the council chamber and the musician in there didn't do a thing despite definitely being close enough to hear the people getting shot. If I had to guess, the musician NPCs are in the equivalent of a flashbanged state at all times, and are simply incapable of detecting anything around them.

The musicians are blindfolded and if you find the musician uniform and put it on 47 is also blindfolded and the game automatically puts you in Instinct so that you can navigate, which is really cool. (doesn't give you the people outlines but does change the screen color to "47 is using his senses" gray)

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Does the casual mode affect the distance at which people hear gunshots or is that just changed in Hitman 2?

I played through it on casual mode and there were a bunch of times where I would get into a loud unsuppressed gunfight with like a room full of people and nobody upstairs or outside even notices.

Also if you're in the treehouse in the Vermont mission you can shoot the unsuppressed sniper rifle as much as you want and the outdoor house party next door doesn't notice at all.

It's not a bad thing though, I found the unsuppressed weapons to be a complete waste as unlocks in Hitman 1 because every drat npc in the entire level would come running if you shot a single pistol round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yes it specifically says in the description of Casual that NPCs have little-to-no reaction to noises.