Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Maybe Fallout 76 will be the ET that finally breaks the video game industry. We can hope and dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

frajaq posted:

I'm still curious to know who exactly this game was made for

Me. :shrug:

Like this is basically what I've always wanted out of a Bethesda rpg. I always have liked the exploring/gathering aspects of their games, but found the NPCs unsettling and robotic, and felt like their main quests were dull garbage that placed a burden on the player more than they served as any sort of impetus to engage with the world. A game where you just wander around and collect stuff to make a home and fight monsters in a big old sprawling map is pretty much ideal for me. I am sort of neutral on the multiplayer aspect, as I have been playing basically solo the entire 27 hours or so I've played, but I do like being able to find things other people designed and being able to stumble into the various possible player interactions feels like a net positive to me so far.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lansdowne posted:

I'm leveled to the mid 20s and I've got a blank power armor frame and an almost full set of T-60 that I've saved up from poking around buildings. It's taking up a significant amount of space in my stash that I can't use until 40.

Are power armor pieces common enough at later levels that I can melt this down now and easily replace them when I could actually use it?

Yeah power armor is all over the place and the best stuff is crafted anyway. Go to the mining hq quest if you are mid 20s to get the escavator it's got +100 carrying capacity and the quest gives you the power armor craft station plans for your camp.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Man I hope Bethesda gets shuttered for Fallout 76 being such a failure. About time everyone realized they have never made a good game. Sell the IPs to a company that wouldn't just pump out soulless F2P trash or yearly sequels. Ubisoft or EA would be good.

Is it okay to be optimistic about RAGE 2? :ohdear:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Hootington posted:

Man I hope Bethesda gets shuttered for Fallout 76 being such a failure. About time everyone realized they have never made a good game. Sell the IPs to a company that wouldn't just pump out soulless F2P trash or yearly sequels. Ubisoft or EA would be good.

ehh. i like them as a publisher. as a dev they are mixed bag at best.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I said come in! posted:

they are publishing it. its being developed by ID and avalanche (the ones the made mad max). it will be fun.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This game will be a 7 out of 10 in a year when private servers are introduced and you can download mods and essentially just coop with people you know.

This bizarro MMO lite thing is strange.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

I said come in! posted:

I see someone else likes to suck the poo poo straight from the rear end in a top hat of game developers.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

It's almost like, not every game has to be a God of War, Spiderman or BotW levels of good to be enjoyed. Fallout 76 is flawed and buggy, but I'm still enjoying it.

ya because a company like Bethesda is obviously not capable to do better and we just shouldn't expect a better job by them. It's not like they didn't have enough easy cash grabs in recent times with their 14358434 special editions of old games or their poor VR ports. :confused:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they are publishing it. its being developed by ID and avalanche (the ones the made mad max). it will be fun.

RAGE 2 is the only game next year that i'm excited about currently. The gameplay videos released this year looked really exciting.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The games that Bethesda publishes are almost universally great. We've had Prey, Doom, Wolfenstein and Dishonored 2 over the past few years and they were all excellent games. I think some people liked The Evil Within aswell, but I've never played it so can't say.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

I see someone else likes to suck the poo poo straight from the rear end in a top hat of game developers.

It's the American way. :911:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Can't wait for that sequel to a game that was totally not a better looking borderlands game that wasn't fun at all.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
fo76 beta owned when I paid $1 for a key and got to stream snipe another streamer and she got upset

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Glenn Quebec posted:

This game will be a 7 out of 10 in a year when private servers are introduced and you can download mods and essentially just coop with people you know.

polishing a wet turd into the mcdonalds bathroom stall

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Can't wait for that sequel to a game that was totally not a better looking borderlands game that wasn't fun at all.

It looks completely different from RAGE 1 to be honest. If Cyberpunk 2077 was coming out next year then I likely wouldn't care, but that game still has a few years to go at least.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

katkillad2 posted:

It's almost like, not every game has to be a God of War, Spiderman or BotW levels of good to be enjoyed. Fallout 76 is flawed and buggy, but I'm still enjoying it.

God of War was made in like 2 years lol

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Perpetual posted:

Me. :shrug:

Like this is basically what I've always wanted out of a Bethesda rpg. I always have liked the exploring/gathering aspects of their games, but found the NPCs unsettling and robotic, and felt like their main quests were dull garbage that placed a burden on the player more than they served as any sort of impetus to engage with the world. A game where you just wander around and collect stuff to make a home and fight monsters in a big old sprawling map is pretty much ideal for me. I am sort of neutral on the multiplayer aspect, as I have been playing basically solo the entire 27 hours or so I've played, but I do like being able to find things other people designed and being able to stumble into the various possible player interactions feels like a net positive to me so far.

I’m playing solo and I agree with you on the items you like about the game, but it’s hard to be neutral on the multiplayer. There are so many compromises to the solo player experience to accommodate the multiplayer aspect. Disappearing camps, stash size limits, no pause in menus or terminals, real-time VATS, enemies respawning on top of you because someone else entered the same dungeon, paid fast travel. None of this poo poo would be in the game if they didn’t compromise the experience for multi.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

J-Spot posted:

paid fast travel.

bar none the best feature in fallout 76

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Siljmonster posted:

polishing a wet turd into the mcdonalds bathroom stall

If / when this happens it won't be in lovely analogy territory. It would be actually fun

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

:itwaspoo:

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
people endlessly mocking f76 was todds real vision and we should celebrate his achievement

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BillyC posted:

people endlessly mocking f76 was todds real vision and we should celebrate his achievement

im not owned im not owned i scream as i slowly shrink into a manager

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Maybe Bethesda should follow Rockstar's new MO by releasing a full, complete package, and then releasing an online version for it down the line.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I said come in! posted:

RAGE 2 is the only game next year that i'm excited about currently. The gameplay videos released this year looked really exciting.

a bunch of amazing games are coming out next year its gonna be insane

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Secretly on today update was included Skyrim 2 and Mass Effect 4. It will unlock tomorrow has a surprise to the players.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar
lets be honest friends its fun to trash f76 and i think thats a beat even the pip boy can dance to

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
they put dragons in fallout

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Someone asked me to close this thread but how can anyone wanna look away from this car crash

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
The worst part of Fallout 76 is my hunting rifle shoots .308 and does 130 damage, while the light machine gun shoots .308 and does 9 damage.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ETPC posted:

I had a girlfriend that was a lot into dragons, she loved dragons in all forms and styles, tatoos, paintings. Maybe I have to introduce her into the game. Or myself into her.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ETPC posted:

Well, when you have the behavior script, and the AI, and the 3D-model, the only thing you need is a new texture which the trainee can whip up before the lunchtime.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wolfsheim posted:

Someone asked me to close this thread but how can anyone wanna look away from this car crash

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tei posted:

I had a girlfriend that was a lot into dragons, she loved dragons in all forms and styles, tatoos, paintings. Maybe I have to introduce her into the game. Or myself into her.

GAMERS!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

Rename thread to "I had an easier time admitting I am an alcoholic than I did waking up today and admitting to myself that I did not enjoy Fallout 76"

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

ETPC posted:

crazy if true

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

ETPC posted:

Still lol-ing that a bunch of people tried to create a super dragon by launching three nukes and completely crashed the server.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I'm having fun with this janky hunk but it's pretty funny that the MMO-lite formula keeps you from checking out the environmental storytelling and terminals since the mob respawn timer is so fast. It's the one thing BGS does even somewhat okay but you can't read the 9 corporate emails that explain something spooky without a city's population of feral ghouls crowding around you halfway through the second entry

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Picture a Zenimax boardroom in 2016, where Todd is asking to make Starfield and TES6 next-gen only, and the board points out that last gen Todd gave them Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, and outsourced New Vegas. This gen he's only given them Fallout 4. Then picture them Googling the hottest gaming trends and asking him to give the Fallout IP to Battlecry studios who have just had their project cancelled, and asking them to make one of those survival games that kids love so much these days.

It's the same reason ESO started off as a WoW clone (and was hated for it) and why TES Legends happened after Hearthstone did so well. I'm sure Zenimax are looking for an IP in their house to force into a BR game right about now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Investors know what gamers want.