Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you realize you're doing like the exact same fuckin thing as the android dypers right

"sure, ideally the camera would just work out of the box, and scanning your fingerprint probably shouldn't lock up the screen, but when you buy brand new phones with the newest roms sometimes things are broken. not that it's good, but normal and expected in this segment"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

flakeloaf posted:

sounds like a conductor problem

lmao

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

you realize you're doing like the exact same fuckin thing as the android dypers right

"sure, ideally the camera would just work out of the box, and scanning your fingerprint probably shouldn't lock up the screen, but when you buy brand new phones with the newest roms sometimes things are broken. not that it's good, but normal and expected in this segment"
there is no iphone of cars, so the analogy doesnt work

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol you actually bought a Tesla

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

no. i rented one for the weekend. i daily drive an a6.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

this explains a lot

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

rich rebuilds with a $tsla slam!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMwRsT7xNVs&t=165s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Captain Foo posted:

lol you actually bought a a6

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Combat Theory posted:

i like how your standard for luxury is a german entry level Sedan from the least luxurious of the Big 3 german Sedan makers that costs half of what the Tesla cost.

also your broken A4 brake switch would cost you 3 minutes of labour to disconnect the battery and 15,95€ for a new part. And in the case that you managed to fry the battery, 74,99€ for a new one. i somehow doubt the price range the tesla user was scared of, or amount of labour he invested is matching that

lmfao

an optioned a4 is about what a model 3 costs. an optioned a6 is about what a model s costs. tesla is deliberately targeting buyers of those specific cars who are cross shopping, so its a pretty good basis for comparison

yea tesla should be fixing this for free under warranty, but the idea here is that these sorts of problems are what luxury car buyers have come to expect. not that this status quo is acceptable or that its acceptable that they happen on teslas, but its not out of character for a vehicle in this segment

alright mister Luxury Car owner, shall we dive into that then.

You say you drive an A6. Since the Model Change to the C8 A6 just happened this year, i assume it is a C7 A6.

The C7 A6 is part of whats internally called the MLB, which stands for Modularer Längsbaukasten, a cost reduction initiative instructed by VW to all its subsidiaries with longitudinally mounted Engines.
The MLB incorporates Design directions and parts specificationsto unify all universal components adjactent to the firewall, including Powertrain subframe structure.

Because the Pedal Box is part of the MLB structure, that means the entire mechanical actuation linkage, sensing and Boosting is MLB conformal across all MLB compliant vehicles. or said otherwise, your perceived super luxurious A6 has the exact same crappy hardware as the A4, as the Q5, as the Porsche Macan... and funny enough, as an el cheapo VW called the "VW Phideon" specifically for the chinese market. In other words your priced A6 has the hardware equivalent of a chinese Volkswagen for its brake hardware. This tie to Volkswagen and their modularity line is why audi is generally mentioned ony carefully when it comes to the level of BMW and Mercedes and the reason why Porsche developed a 2 class hirarchy for their VW compliant and non compliant models, with the non compliant models being the prestige brands and the compliant models the cash cows.

so there you have it. while you payed ludicrous amounts of money for an Audi and now Brag about how the problems of a poo poo box tesla are normal in the luxury car segment, the truth is that you compare a rebatched Volkswagen to an engineering failure and try to justify why they both are perfecly representative of the luxury car market.

Or in short. You are a Turnip when it comes to cars.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm really loving these out of context european insults coming to yospos. we've been far too amerocentric for too long

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

I don't know who you are but I've seen a number of your posts now about the German car industry and I like em

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

quite literally yes, a bunch of models of the the audi symphony series radios have a notorious problem where they just turn themselves on while the car is parked and wear the battery down till it's dead.

:piss: I'm glad I didn't like the A4 I test drove

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know who you are but I've seen a number of your posts now about the German car industry and I like em

Thank you

Im a young Engineer working for a german OEM, currently getting my second degree in automotive Engineering - specialized in Powertrain and Suspension systems

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Combat Theory posted:

Thank you

Im a young Engineer working for a german OEM, currently getting my second degree in automotive Engineering - specialized in Powertrain and Suspension systems

what's a good luxury car / good normal car?

i don't know poo poo about them and am interested

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

l to the m to the a to the o.

that's some quality engineering there lou

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Combat Theory posted:

so there you have it. while you payed ludicrous amounts of money for an Audi and now Brag about how the problems of a poo poo box tesla are normal in the luxury car segment, the truth is that you compare a rebatched Volkswagen to an engineering failure and try to justify why they both are perfecly representative of the luxury car market.

good lord :thurman:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

dunno how good modern bmws are but like 10 years ago i worked with this dude who had an m3 and he would get shitfaced every time we went out so i always ended up driving it and it was probably the most fun driving experience i've ever had.

like that car ruined me for anything at a lesser performance level.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

toyota century / toyota cressida

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

infernal machines posted:

Ha haaaaa holy poo poo

It's a car slapped together by undergrads

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Rex-Goliath posted:

If you can wrench - used german car- the older the better, preferably 90s - early 2000s

if not, a japanese car from the same age, they will be more reliable, but the parts will be more expensive. Both cases try to opt for less exotic options. no active suspension, preferably manual (for longevity purposes) dont buy the smallest engines.

New cars.. hell.. A Toyota? Hyundai too. I was looking at the Ioniq Plug in Hybrid and a used 350Z/370Z or Skyline R34GTR, but thats some serious money to import. At that point i might just go for a used M3 E46

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 19, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i used to be interested in fast cars but then i got motorcycles and, well, when you have a $5000 vehicle with the engine right up against your nuts that'll walk a $200,000 ferrari, sports cars just seem kinda quaint.

like i'd still love an OG NSX but that barely even counts as a fast car any more. honda makes minivans with more horsepower today.

no, now when i think about cars i just want something with comfy seats and compliant suspension that you can just riiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
my parents got a 2005 Prius back in 2011 and they still love it, they drive it all over the US and it just keeps on goin'

it's not fast, it's not fun in itself, it's just really cheap to go places in

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

i used to be interested in fast cars but then i got motorcycles and, well, when you have a $5000 vehicle with the engine right up against your nuts that'll walk a $200,000 ferrari, sports cars just seem kinda quaint.

like i'd still love an OG NSX but that barely even counts as a fast car any more. honda makes minivans with more horsepower today.

no, now when i think about cars i just want something with comfy seats and compliant suspension that you can just riiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

True words. I ended up so far with a collection of German and Japanese Sedans and a number of bikes for when i actually wanna go fast. However i can attest many people scare away from bikes these days which is sad, because Motorbike development has so far stayed pure whereas the car marked has been trapped in this weird SUV spiral for the last decade with everything becoming heavier and less connected to the driver. Its an easy fix though when people lament about the old days of lore and how no one does drivers cars anymore these days (which luckily isnt true) - just tell them to get a bike, they have gotten more extreme by the year basically.

it is also my preferred excuse to buy fabulous black leather clothing

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

If you can wrench - used german car- the older the better, preferably 90s - early 2000s
HAHAHHAA

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

weird comeback but ok.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Combat Theory posted:

weird comeback but ok.

nah their experience with unreliable hell cars is valid, they've obviously had a lot more of it than the rest of us

the a4 i used to drive had literally the exact same problem w the brake lights. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

:master:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'm surprised that post exists without an order form for a cheap, mostly-cadmium, and of course model-specific "bumper drainage punch"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
gotta pop out of the office for a second so the tesla mobile service technician can perform a routine fluid draining from my new m3 (love the car btw)

what other car company offers such great service?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

weird comeback but ok.
i mean, its a good counterexample, just not in the way he intended. having owned a B5 A4 and two C5 A6's, and a good amount of experience with the 3-series of that era, i love those cars, its just that they also constantly poo poo the bed in very expensive ways that are self-evidently due to bad design. lots of people still bought and enjoyed them.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

i mean, its a good counterexample, just not in the way he intended. having owned a B5 A4 and two C5 A6's, and a good amount of experience with the 3-series of that era, i love those cars, its just that they also constantly poo poo the bed in very expensive ways that are self-evidently due to bad design. lots of people still bought and enjoyed them.

So your entire debunk of the reliability claim of the german premium market of 20 Years is your ownership of 2 Audi Models (which were developed in the notorious VW- Lopez era which spawned the worst build qualities in company history) and "experience with the BMW 3 Series of that Era" which i doubt because "that Era" actually incorporates 2 BMW 3 Series, the E36 and the E46, both equipped mostly with variations of the BMW M50 engine which is propably the single best engine familiy the company has ever made outside of the M-Branch, in 2 of the most popular, least maintenance intensive and lightest chassis the company has ever made. So much that a used E46 is valued higher than an equal mileage E90 nowadays on the german market.

Few years before, Mercedes made the insanely popular W201 and Baureihe 124 Cars, which are to this day known as the European cars most likely to Trip over one million kilometers on an original Powertrain.

i would like to give you some credit at least for Taste Kotex, but your entire view of the quote - on - quote german luxury segment and the automotive market in general is friggin screwed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

you're a beacon of light in the god drat darkness, combat theory

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

you're a beacon of light in the god drat darkness, combat theory

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm enjoying ktgob getting shoved in a locker

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

So your entire debunk of the reliability claim of the german premium market of 20 Years is your ownership of 2 Audi Models (which were developed in the notorious VW- Lopez era which spawned the worst build qualities in company history) and "experience with the BMW 3 Series of that Era" which i doubt because "that Era" actually incorporates 2 BMW 3 Series, the E36 and the E46, both equipped mostly with variations of the BMW M50 engine which is propably the single best engine familiy the company has ever made outside of the M-Branch, in 2 of the most popular, least maintenance intensive and lightest chassis the company has ever made. So much that a used E46 is valued higher than an equal mileage E90 nowadays on the german market.

Few years before, Mercedes made the insanely popular W201 and Baureihe 124 Cars, which are to this day known as the European cars most likely to Trip over one million kilometers on an original Powertrain.

i would like to give you some credit at least for Taste Kotex, but your entire view of the quote - on - quote german luxury segment and the automotive market in general is friggin screwed.
5 audi models*

tell me about your love for the E46. do you find that the subframe ripping away from the chassis is a fair and normal state for a car.

i like ur taste in cars too (i looked at an e46 m3 recently and would have bought it if the subframe had been replaced) its just that you are more forgiving with having to "wrench" them all the time than a normal user ought to be, which is really what this is all about, so

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

literally yes

literally yes

they envision a world where they live forever and the poor die off in a darwinian manner from making unhealthy life choices

unironically

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

5 audi models*

tell me about your love for the E46. do you find that the subframe ripping away from the chassis is a fair and normal state for a car.
Have you ever considered that you're the common factor in all these problems ?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
kotex going down swinging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

don't quote tesla stymie