Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Warbird posted:

Tread’s getting low on a couple of my GTI’s tires. Any recommendations for good bang for the buck tires? For reference I currently have the Continental Extreme Contact (with Sport Plus+ Tech whoo). Anything I should do with the two less bald tires? Also, replacing tires at 30k miles seems a tad soon. Should that be cause for concern? I’ve had it for less than a year and the guy before me only had it for around a month/4K miles.

Summer or all season? For my summers I'm going to replace them with the Firestone Indy 500s once the stockers wear out. They're cheap and grippy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

30k is fine. I usually make it to 20k. Where do you live?

Charlotte, so all seasons are in order if my understanding is right.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If you don't expect to drive in snow or ice stay with summer tires

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BraveUlysses posted:

If you don't expect to drive in snow or ice stay with summer tires

I wouldn't use summer tires in sub 10 degrees weather.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

The cup 2s that come on the RS specifically say they can crack under 15*F. I don't like having them on below 45*, there's basically no traction left at that point.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xsf421 posted:

The cup 2s that come on the RS specifically say they can crack under 15*F. I don't like having them on below 45*, there's basically no traction left at that point.

Cup 2s are particularly insane tires though, most summer tires aren't that sensitive.

That said, if your local weather has extended sub-freezing periods but not much snow you probably want all seasons in the winter.

I haven't put my winter tires on yet because I'm waiting on some new brake pads and don't feel like taking everything apart twice in a week, my Indy 500s barely got me up my driveway last night after a half inch of snow. I needed a full running start and still almost didn't make it up a ~15% grade of fairly rough concrete.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrOnBicycle posted:

Is Charlotte NC known for 10 degree weather?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

xsf421 posted:

Celsius

BraveUlysses posted:

Celsius

No idea. My point is that average temperatures > presence of snow/ice when choosing tyres. Actually I was a bit harsh on the summers. They still perform, but winters usually outperform them when it dips below 10 degrees Celsius. Recommendation is to swap when the average temperature is around 5-7 degrees.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 16, 2018

Warbird
May 23, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

It'll get down to the teens from time to time, but it's pretty uncommon. If it snows here things shut down, so no snow driving for me beyond extreme circumstances. Wouldn't want to anyway.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Your summer tires will get destroyed by cold temps the rubber chunks apart. I bought a ford with summer tires in the snow belt and the guy obviously drove all winter cause the tires were chunky, lol. Ford is so dumb.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've had zero issues running PSS's in below freezing temps. There's a little less grip and that seems to be it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

Your summer tires will get destroyed by cold temps the rubber chunks apart. I bought a ford with summer tires in the snow belt and the guy obviously drove all winter cause the tires were chunky, lol. Ford is so dumb.

the answer is always: the PO was dumb, dumb as gently caress

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elephanthead posted:

i don't think that's a ford problem, boss

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It is so, so nice to drive.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

It is so, so nice to drive.

Welcome to the club. :)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Suburban Dad posted:

Welcome to the club. :)

Wait, there's a Golf club?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

Wait, there's a Golf club?

:downsrim:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So where did we fall on the tires thing? It rarely stays below freezing here for more than a day or two at a stretch. Snow is a non factor because screw driving in that noise. Is this a summer/winter situation or a all season one? For reference, it was nearly in the 80s/25s around Christmas last year. Winter has been sort of weird for some time now. I've historically never had anything other than all seasons, so swapping tires is pretty weird to me. How the hell do you determine what a decent set of all seasons are? Should I just get another set of the Continentals I have now?

How are you securing the front plate to the car? I assume there is some kit, but I haven't decided how much I want to put some Bama plates on mine.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 19, 2018

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I bought one of these for the front rather than drilling holes in a plastic bumper and I'm happy with it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I also bought a tow book mount, mine is the Platypus one I think.

Tire chat - summers offer a ton more performance than all seasons. The difference between my ExtremeContact DWS and my PSS was night and day. On a performance car I feel like you’re only getting maybe 2/3 of the performance with all seasons.

If you’re not driving in snow I’d say go summers, you could have a set of all seasons for the winter months if you really want.

Personally I just keep the PSS on here when it gets cold, never had an issue, I just take it easy. I don’t drive when it ices or snows every 5 years.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Warbird posted:

How are you securing the front plate to the car? I assume there is some kit, but I haven't decided how much I want to put some Bama plates on mine.
Like the above two posters, I also got a bracket that goes into the tow hook receiver. I ordered from US Millworks and would probably order from them again. http://www.usmillworks.com/vw.html

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Warbird posted:

I wanted a tow hook mount but they drilled the bumper as soon as the car came off the truck, and finding a 2018 was a bitch and a half as it was so I didn't worry about it. Difference between a 2018 and a 2019 was 0% financing vs 5% financing, so the bumper doesn't bother me.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have experience with Cooper WeatherMaster S/T tires? I’m looking for some 17” 5x112 wheels for snow tires since I’ll be moving, and found some wheels with these tires on CL.

M+S rated, studdable. Reviews online seem to be pretty good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If you’re not driving in snow I’d say go summers, you could have a set of all seasons for the winter months if you really want.

This is my opinion as well. Summers will be fine in cold as long as you don't have super mega performance summers on there that may chunk/crack or whatever. I had PSS on my car in the 30s and had no problems the couple days I used them.

For tire shopping, just hop on tire rack and sort by type and performance level and look at reviews. I generally go for best bang for buck (probably not highest level summer performance, but I want them to last more than 10k miles and not be 3x the price of the next rung down...I don't need autocross grip level for a street car).

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah summers will crack and chunk off in like midwest-level cold (near-certain last driver of my FoST did this) and are inappropriate in the winter up here because nothing grinds to a halt when a single flake of snow hits the road.

Like if as low as it gets is the 30s for a few days where you live I would also say you're fine with summers as long as you aren't running the super-almost-R-compound summers with the consistency of chewed gum or whatever. Obviously just keep in mind the grip won't be as good in temps that low so don't drive like an rear end in a top hat

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

don't drive like an rear end in a top hat

seriously underrated advice for a variety of conditions.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Monkey Fracas posted:

don't drive like an rear end in a top hat

no you shut the gently caress up dad

Just passed 3k in my '18 FiST, still in love, still getting better gas mileage than the '14 even though I'm babying it way less since I have the stupid warranty to cover me when I grenade the clutch.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you manage to get a clutch covered under warranty I will be amazed :v:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Extended bumper to bumper for basically free my friend. I spent a long, long time bugging the service department over what will and won't be covered, and different reasons poo poo like the clutch wouldn't be covered. Unless I slip it at 5k for a half hour I'm good.

e: I still bug them weekly just because sometimes I get to test drive something I'd never buy, in ways that no one should ever test drive a vehicle. :getin:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Took advantage of a Black Friday sale from Tune+ to get my RS pro tuned for 93 octane. Yowza she’s quick now. I’ll have him tune it for e30 once it warms back up and I install a new intercooler, should be fun on a bun.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Took advantage of a Black Friday sale from Tune+ to get my RS pro tuned for 93 octane. Yowza she’s quick now. I’ll have him tune it for e30 once it warms back up and I install a new intercooler, should be fun on a bun.

Do you have a link to the sale?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Just go to adamtuned.com he has a link to his sales. The 20% off tuning was limited to the first 20 customers so it’s likely gone by now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

I demand video proof.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Just go to adamtuned.com he has a link to his sales. The 20% off tuning was limited to the first 20 customers so it’s likely gone by now.

If you don't have an access port, there's one for 10% off that, which comes with the tune for a stock RS. My RS is bone stock, so I'm really tempted to go for that....

Then again, it's been in 3 times for warranty work so I'm kinda... hesitant to gently caress with that.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I demand video proof.

gently caress that noise, that’s too much work. I’ll just make you drive it, that’s less work.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

KillHour posted:

If you don't have an access port, there's one for 10% off that, which comes with the tune for a stock RS. My RS is bone stock, so I'm really tempted to go for that....

Then again, it's been in 3 times for warranty work so I'm kinda... hesitant to gently caress with that.

I got an AccessPort for it about a year ago from a guy locally that sold his RS. Prior to the protune I was just running an off the shelf Cobb stage 1 tune. The car is fun stock but the tune just makes it feel so much smoother and it pulls a lot harder up top. Once I run e30 it should be making roughly 370 hp to the wheels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

gently caress that noise, that’s too much work. I’ll just make you drive it, that’s less work.

YESH

Edit: My wife saw an RS and said "Why don't you just get one of those? It would be practical."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

YESH

Edit: My wife saw an RS and said "Why don't you just get one of those? It would be practical."

Do it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I bought a house today so uh, not yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I went house hunting this past weekend and the guys house had the following.

DB9
i8
F350
Wrangler Rubicon
GLA250

Plus whatever he left in. Attached 1 car garage and a detached 4 car. If he can do it, so can you!