Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

She’s the proto kassandra from asscreed

And the romance novel scene does own

I think she was the main reason I wished the companions were PC-sexual like in Dragon Age. Alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Demanding that characters always bend to your sexual wills and wants is some weird rear end poo poo

Like, loving deal with rejection from vidya game folks who should be entitled to their own sexual preferences, jesus.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Or make them Bi for representation and so they can shoot down your advances as a guy or gal

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Video games should mine your social media and decide whether NPCs will gently caress you based on that

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Video games should mine your social media and decide whether NPCs will gently caress you based on that

What if we don't have social media because we keep in touch with our friends and family in real life?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Dragon Age is all about bringing back former party members or at least giving them a "here's what's up with X" mention in subsequent games

with the weird exception of both Sigrun and Velanna from Awakening. Dropped off the face of the Earth, both of them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cythereal posted:

What if we don't have social media because we keep in touch with our friends and family in real life?

not the target market

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Incel, sorry

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pattonesque posted:

with the weird exception of both Sigrun and Velanna from Awakening. Dropped off the face of the Earth, both of them.

Sigrun might have her fans, but I don't know of many who dug Velanna. Possibly because her backstory quest has a very good chance of never proccing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Demanding that characters always bend to your sexual wills and wants is some weird rear end poo poo

Like, loving deal with rejection from vidya game folks who should be entitled to their own sexual preferences, jesus.

Video game characters aren't real people whereas real gay and bisexual people play the games and it's dumb to exclude them from romancing anyone under the guise of protecting the identity of a bunch of ones and zeroes

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

precision posted:

Video game characters aren't real people whereas real gay and bisexual people play the games and it's dumb to exclude them from romancing anyone under the guise of protecting the identity of a bunch of ones and zeroes

Lol

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Guess what your player character ain’t real either

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Dawgstar posted:

Sigrun might have her fans, but I don't know of many who dug Velanna. Possibly because her backstory quest has a very good chance of never proccing.

I liked Velanna and still wish they had made her the Justice-bonded terrorist in DA2. It fit her character better instead of just retconning happy-go-lucky, skirt-chasing blowhard Anders into bisexual angst-man with a tragically dead boyfriend. This would also mean they could leave Merrill out of the game entirely since the elf mage niche would be filled.

I mean I could list changes they should've made to DA2 all day but that's a big one!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

I liked Velanna and still wish they had made her the Justice-bonded terrorist in DA2. It fit her character better instead of just retconning happy-go-lucky, skirt-chasing blowhard Anders into bisexual angst-man with a tragically dead boyfriend. This would also mean they could leave Merrill out of the game entirely since the elf mage niche would be filled.

I mean I could list changes they should've made to DA2 all day but that's a big one!

...man. I really like that idea and am now sad we didn't get it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Still one of the low key weird things about awakening is the epilogue where they say that Anders sails off with Isabella and they bring both characters back for da2 but decide to never work with that

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

They'll just mod the game to make them romance their PC

See the Bi Cassandra mod

(or the Straight Dorian and Sera mod :barf:)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dawgstar posted:

...man. I really like that idea and am now sad we didn't get it.

It's been reported more than once that that was the original plan, but Anders replaced Velanna late in development because players liked Anders and reception of Velanna was lukewarm.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cassandra is one of the few cases where her sexuality was actually somewhat important to her character, as someone who presents a traditionally masculine appearance, but is secretly into girly things and wants to be swept away by some big strong man like in the trashy romance novels she reads. Could you do the same thing if she was into chicks? Maybe, but it's an effective bit of characterization that also plays on your expectations of her.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

there's something extra special infuriating about modding dorian, a character who literally severed ties with his family over an attempt to force him to be straight, to be straight

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

Cassandra is one of the few cases where her sexuality was actually somewhat important to her character, as someone who presents a traditionally masculine appearance, but is secretly into girly things and wants to be swept away by some big strong man like in the trashy romance novels she reads. Could you do the same thing if she was into chicks? Maybe, but it's an effective bit of characterization that also plays on your expectations of her.

I think the issue with Cassandra regarding the player base is that there is a certain element of the fanbase who are really into tall, muscular, aggressive, take-no-poo poo ladies. Bioware games have no shortage of such women, but they're universally straight. Probably an effort by Bioware to defy certain lesbian stereotypes, but some feel that Bioware swings too far in the other direction - almost every queer woman love interest in Bioware games is far into the girly girl end of the spectrum.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Guess what your player character ain’t real either

No poo poo but the person holding the controller is real and telling them "you must be this straight to get on this ride" is lame.

The romances are like the most ancillary thing in the games so it's pretty dumb itt to die in the hill of verusimilitude at the expense of excluding a chunk of your audience

Like yeah Cassandra's sexuality is important to her character but not as important as being inclusive to gaymers. Just imo

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I see what you mean, these are role playing games, so people might want to play as a Bi lady who flits with everyone but pines after Cassandra, or is gay and wants to play as a gay character and have a heartfelt romance story with Dorian

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

imo sexual orientation is part of a character and should be varied among NPCs, whether they're romance options or not. I really don't like having all the romance options all be bi or playersexual, I guess unless it's established that in the setting most people are bi. It just doesn't actually feel like representation to me (and tbh having bi and/or trans representation does mean something to me in the games I play).

That said, they deffo need to work on adding butch girl romance options for female PCs.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I feel like having a strongly-defined character kinda runs counter to "everyone is bisexual and wants to gently caress you." Like, should they have changed Solas to like getting dicked by burly Qunari men despite 'extremely racist elf rear end in a top hat' being core to his character? Should Vivienne eventually succumb to constantly hitting on her instead of hilariously blowing you off? Should we have the option to make Sera grow her hair out and dye it black because maybe you're a lesbian who's not into short hair or blondes?

Speaking of which I think this wouldn't feel like as much of a problem if the only lesbian-specific romance wasn't the most obnoxious character in the series :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wolfsheim posted:

I feel like having a strongly-defined character kinda runs counter to "everyone is bisexual and wants to gently caress you." Like, should they have changed Solas to like getting dicked by burly Qunari men despite 'extremely racist elf rear end in a top hat' being core to his character? Should Vivienne eventually succumb to constantly hitting on her instead of hilariously blowing you off? Should we have the option to make Sera grow her hair out and dye it black because maybe you're a lesbian who's not into short hair or blondes?

Speaking of which I think this wouldn't feel like as much of a problem if the only lesbian-specific romance wasn't the most obnoxious character in the series :shrug:

It's not like Leliana, Zevran, Josephine, or Iron Bull has any relevance to the definition of their character (or Liara, Vetra, and Jaal over in Mass Effect land, or Lana, Theron, Koth, or Arcann in TOR).

For most Bioware romance options, their sexuality is a minor and incidental part of their character - even the lesbian-specific Traynor and Suvi in Mass Effect never talk about Shepard/Ryder being a woman. Traynor at least refers to Shepard with feminine pronouns, Suvi never does - Josephine comes to mind from Dragon Age as a painfully gender-neutral romance that never mentions the PC's gender or even uses gendered pronouns.

A character's sexuality is only occasionally a thing that matters in Bioware land.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Cythereal posted:

It's not like Leliana, Zevran, Josephine, or Iron Bull has any relevance to the definition of their character (or Liara, Vetra, and Jaal over in Mass Effect land, or Lana, Theron, Koth, or Arcann in TOR).

For most Bioware romance options, their sexuality is a minor and incidental part of their character - even the lesbian-specific Traynor and Suvi in Mass Effect never talk about Shepard/Ryder being a woman. Traynor at least refers to Shepard with feminine pronouns, Suvi never does - Josephine comes to mind from Dragon Age as a painfully gender-neutral romance that never mentions the PC's gender or even uses gendered pronouns.

A character's sexuality is only occasionally a thing that matters in Bioware land.

Lol the four DA characters you mentioned are significantly if not mostly defined by their sexuality, in the case of three by their complete openness and in the case of Josephine by the traditional mores that set its contours

They are able to exist and be notable in contrast to the restricted sexuality of the other people in the world. Iron Bull and Zevran would be way less interesting if Casandra was down for whatever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Funny thing is, Orlais is described as being a land where bisexuality and homosexuality are relatively common and openly tolerated, but the only queer Orlesian in the series is Leliana. Every other Orlesian in the series is straight, and every other queer character isn't from Orlais.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Cythereal posted:

Funny thing is, Orlais is described as being a land where bisexuality and homosexuality are relatively common and openly tolerated, but the only queer Orlesian in the series is Leliana. Every other Orlesian in the series is straight, and every other queer character isn't from Orlais.
uh, what about Celine and Brialla...?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Stroop There It Is posted:

Weird that the people complaining about stuff tend to miss obvious things

There’s like 69,420,000 references to sexuality of all kinds being used in The Game at all levels

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Who?

(checks wiki for two characters who have about five minutes of screen time) Oh, those two. Okay.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Cythereal posted:

Who?

(checks wiki for two characters who have about five minutes of screen time) Oh, those two. Okay.

Come on...the key factor in one of the three major acts in DAI is that the queen has a female elf lover

“My bad argument doesn’t hold up so I gotta hand wave some stuff, sorry not sorry”

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Come on...the key factor in one of the three major acts in DAI is that the queen has a female elf lover

This is news to me. I thought the key factor in one of the three major acts in DAI is that absolutely everyone in Orlais is a scheming, backstabbing rear end in a top hat and one of them happens to have a scandalous love affair.

Their relationship would have exactly the same impact if it was... pretty much anything, really.

Maybe my biggest issue with the story of DAI is that, in all honesty, I don't want to save Orlais. It's a lovely place full of awful people. Let Solas have it.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 23, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cythereal posted:

This is news to me. I thought the key factor in one of the three major acts in DAI is that absolutely everyone in Orlais is a scheming, backstabbing rear end in a top hat and one of them happens to have a scandalous love affair.

Their relationship would have exactly the same impact if it was... pretty much anything, really.

Having read the one DA novel I've read, which was about those two, the issue is that the relationship is with an elf more than said elf's gender.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Who?

You can tell this post is disingenuous because no one who played through DAI could possibly forget the feeling that the Winter Palace quest would never end

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wolfsheim posted:

You can tell this post is disingenuous because no one who played through DAI could possibly forget the feeling that the Winter Palace quest would never end

In all seriousness I completely forgot that mission existed until he said something and still had to look up who Brialla was.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Still one of the low key weird things about awakening is the epilogue where they say that Anders sails off with Isabella and they bring both characters back for da2 but decide to never work with that

Or you can just immediately turn Anders in.
Or kill Justice, like I did in my run when I spared the Architect.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

imo sexual orientation is part of a character and should be varied among NPCs, whether they're romance options or not. I really don't like having all the romance options all be bi or playersexual, I guess unless it's established that in the setting most people are bi. It just doesn't actually feel like representation to me (and tbh having bi and/or trans representation does mean something to me in the games I play).

That said, they deffo need to work on adding butch girl romance options for female PCs.

Why does it matter, though? How someone else plays the game doesn't affect my experience of the game. Hell I'm a straight guy and my favorite Inquisitor is elf female that romances Solas. It's just the best story experience for me in terms of fitting the lore and setting the best. It makes Trespasser pretty dramatic which I like.

I don't mind all romanceable characters being romanceable by anyone though. It might not make sense for me to have Cass romance a woman but that's fine I just won't do that play through. But if someone else wants to I'm perfectly fine with that.*

*unless there is some central reason it wouldn't happen like Solas being a racist elf supremacist. It makes sense for him to just romance Elves given his background. Though I can't think of an especially good reason why Solas wouldn't romance a male Elf.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If they make dragon age 4, I hope we get to see what a Qunari penis looks like. We’re all wondering

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I hope we can genocide all qunari like the filthy vermin they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i hope in dragon age 4 we will be able to stop solas from tearing down the fade. :)