Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Imperador do Brasil posted:

What’s the appropriate move when a Dodge Ram breaks down on a 55mph road?

Alternatively;

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Saw some instant karma the other day.

Now, it's legal to pass on the shoulder if traffic is stopped and there's an immediate turn ahead that you're making (here), so long as you do so carefully and at an appropriate speed, but I've been stopped for doing so before; I tend to be pretty cautious about making such turns if a LEO is nearby.

Enter Miata with loud fartcannon, slammed, plenty of stickers (shocker sticker, no fat chicks sticker, etc), blowing past me doing ~40ish (traffic totally stopped) and obviously WOT. With a cop in front of me. The cops in my suburb don't cut you any breaks. This one lived up to the stereotype.

Miata happened to pull into where I was going (library) once the red and blues came on. When I came back out from returning my books, cop was still there and had just handed Miata driver his ticket. I asked him how often the tickets come that easy, he just chuckled and said not often. Then mentioned he saw me with my signal on behind him (I wasn't 100% on if I could make my turn legally so far back from the turning lane, esp with a cop in a city known for not cutting any slack right there, so I held off on cutting onto the shoulder) and told me that I could have passed him legally on the paved shoulder to make the turn, so long as I wasn't a dick about it. Nice of him to let me know.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

STR posted:

Saw some instant karma the other day.

Now, it's legal to pass on the shoulder if traffic is stopped and there's an immediate turn ahead that you're making (here), so long as you do so carefully and at an appropriate speed, but I've been stopped for doing so before; I tend to be pretty cautious about making such turns if a LEO is nearby.

Enter Miata with loud fartcannon, slammed, plenty of stickers (shocker sticker, no fat chicks sticker, etc), blowing past me doing ~40ish (traffic totally stopped) and obviously WOT. With a cop in front of me. The cops in my suburb don't cut you any breaks. This one lived up to the stereotype.

Miata happened to pull into where I was going (library) once the red and blues came on. When I came back out from returning my books, cop was still there and had just handed Miata driver his ticket. I asked him how often the tickets come that easy, he just chuckled and said not often. Then mentioned he saw me with my signal on behind him (I wasn't 100% on if I could make my turn legally so far back from the turning lane, esp with a cop in a city known for not cutting any slack right there, so I held off on cutting onto the shoulder) and told me that I could have passed him legally on the paved shoulder to make the turn, so long as I wasn't a dick about it. Nice of him to let me know.
Did you say that you can pass a stopped vehicle if you are making a turn? That seems like a good idea (especially if the cop said you could) but I don't think the law says that is legal. I mean you know the cops are anal, and per the law that I found, I think the closest one would be number 4 which I believe would be interpreted as you can use the shoulder to pass another vehicle that is slowing down to make a turn, but not necessarily just so that you can make a turn.

Texas Law posted:

(a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official traffic-control device;  or
(7) to avoid a collision.
That said, one thing I do recall from Texas were cases where on 2 lane highways slow moving traffic would (occasionally) pull to the right and drive on the shoulder to let people pass, and that was the absolute most amazing thing I have ever seen in driving. Anymore now, I wouldn't trust the other idiots on the road to not be self righteous assholes enough to actually help people pass them. . . I kinda think people are driving like dicks more and more today because of all the stories on facebook of "Some rear end in a top hat was tailgating me for going 20 under the limit so I brake checked him and taught him a lesson with my bumper! :haw:"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrWOvNd4nwI

What the hell is happening to Australia his month?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Remarkably few Fahhhks Per Minute this month.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

spog posted:

What the hell is happening to Australia
It's called "no one gives a gently caress."
It's a sad state of affairs when you're more likely to be killed on the road than you would be by a spider, snake, shark, drop bear or yowie.
Let it all burn (especially NSW)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 23, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Aussie cams are nearly as bad as the Russian ones.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Fo3 posted:

It's called "no one gives a gently caress."
It's a sad state of affairs when you're more likely to be killed on the road than you would be by a spider, snake, shark, drop bear or yowie.
Let it all burn (especially NSW)

Lots more bunyips got their licenses lately I think.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Aussie cams are nearly as bad as the Russian ones.

You should see the UK ones where the cammers are all idiots that speed up toward hazards.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MrOnBicycle posted:

You should see the UK ones where the cammers are all idiots that speed up toward hazards.

Dear God that's true - I've got a camera therefore I can do no wrong. Bunch of twats.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Dear God that's true - I've got a camera therefore I can do no wrong. Bunch of twats.

I think what amazes me is not the people who drive badly (we all have off days), but the people who willingly upload videos of them making a mild inconvenience into a dangerous situation. They feel justified in their actions to drive like twats and that scares me.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

spog posted:

I think what amazes me is not the people who drive badly (we all have off days), but the people who willingly upload videos of them making a mild inconvenience into a dangerous situation. They feel justified in their actions to drive like twats and that scares me.

Behold the king of bad dash cam driving, Stephen Bagwell.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFfGnibRvqybu1K8JqaKkyQ

Probably the all time favourite is this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4xdM5JwEHZE

Where due to hogging the overtaking lane while going under the speed limit he gets undertaken by a Jaguar and loses his mind.

Edit - oooo there’s a new one where he follows a woman screaming “OI! OI! OI! YOU BLIND BITCH!!!” repeatedly after she passes on the left and goes into the gap in front.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4fMPTlNsmI4

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 24, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Almost think that's fake because it's so bad and stupid. I love the fact that his lovely car can't deliver when he tries to catch up and harass the Jag.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Behold the king of bad dash cam driving, Stephen Bagwell.

That's got to be a mental health issue.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Almost think that's fake because it's so bad and stupid. I love the fact that his lovely car can't deliver when he tries to catch up and harass the Jag.

It's just a ford Mondeo. And yes that's got to be mental health issues, normal responses to that shouldn't be 2 minutes of stroke-inducing screaming.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's just a ford Mondeo. And yes that's got to be mental health issues, normal responses to that shouldn't be 2 minutes of stroke-inducing screaming.

But over the top reactions to mundane poo poo is literally how you get those sweet youtube views. You just wait, when he breaks 200 subscribers it's really gonna take off!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

But over the top reactions to mundane poo poo is literally how you get those sweet youtube views. You just wait, when he breaks 200 subscribers it's really gonna take off!

A kid driving a Honda Element stopped me at a Chipotle once when he saw the motorcycle helmet, and asked me why I wasn't running a GoPro or some sort of recording device because "those drivers are dangerous, man". He then went on to show me a youtube video of him taking a benign situation of a car doing a lovely merging job on a highway (basically a video of an average Georgia driver) and exasperating it by speeding up and pointing at the driver, and screaming (while pointing at his camera). His girlfriend then started into how bikes are so dangerous and how he needed skin grafts after an accident for which they're still paying medical bills. :stare: Dude was 100% hamming for that sweet, sweet social media attention.

In retrospect, I probably should have chided him for riding like a loving dingus looking for youtube views. Who knows, with the way he rides he may end up getting his fame on No Prisoners, and his girlfriend can spend that ad revenue on his funeral bills.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago had its first proper snow in years, so y'all know what time it is!

This is just the worst, the "I should clean this off so I'll take a couple swipes at the corners, but then I realize it's all ice so gently caress it" style.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
World of Tanks IRL?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno about federally but that's sure as poo poo illegal around here and I've seen both cars and trucks get pulled over for it

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Honestly I'm surprised they put that much effort into the rear window.

In my experience if there's too much snow for the electric rear window defroster to handle drivers just ignore it until it clears on its own.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I dunno, I'll drive like that a quarter mile down the road at 20 mph to use the big squeegee at the gas station instead of tackling that bullshit with a hand scraper

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I came extremely close to doing this in the last storm

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I hope his license plate bulb was lit up.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I dunno about federally but that's sure as poo poo illegal around here and I've seen both cars and trucks get pulled over for it

How about people in gray cars on gray roads in gray misty/rainy conditions with no exterior illumination whatsoever.

Dear DOT/NHTSA: Please mandate that all new cars sold in the US have low beams/taillights on all the time, day or night. They're on if the car's on. You can write the order in crayon on a Denny's kid's menu if you'd like, I know that's more the speed of your current bosses, and if you need help with the big words just let me know. Thanks in advance.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

redgubbinz posted:

How about people in gray cars on gray roads in gray misty/rainy conditions with no exterior illumination whatsoever.

Dear DOT/NHTSA: Please mandate that all new cars sold in the US have low beams/taillights on all the time, day or night. They're on if the car's on. You can write the order in crayon on a Denny's kid's menu if you'd like, I know that's more the speed of your current bosses, and if you need help with the big words just let me know. Thanks in advance.

On a similar note, I think always-on running lights are a loving terrible idea. Way too many people driving with their head/taillights off at night because they can see the glow from their runners and assume their full headlights are on. Even worse, there's no real way to alert them short of pulling up at a light and yelling at them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I agree. Too often I see some car scooting along without its full headlights on, and it's like 7 at night where it's already pitch black. Their runners do put out some decent light that I can see it being confusing, but come on! Show some competency around operating your vehicle.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've seriously debated the merits of making an LED sign to tell people their lights are off.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

At the very least you'd think running lights would include taillights :iiam:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
My 2013 VW's cluster has a sensor built-in to dim the lit up numbers until you can't see them anymore, visual indication that something isn't right. It should trigger the people who grew up driving in an era when dark dash = your lights are off, bud. It's a simple solution that right along with automatically lighting the rear tail lights with the DRL's, I'm surprised more manufacturers don't do it.

However, I'd bet more manufacturers are so cheap, they would get rid of things like operable windows and windshield wipers if they weren't federally mandated.

DRLs are moot when people don't even bother to look at you when your lights are on. Please oh please hit me, I'm begging you, I hate driving this beater and could use a rental until I fix my other one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0moypCCv64

NoWake fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 28, 2018

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Volvo figured it out. On many models, their DRLs are the low beams. Car's on, all lights are on, day or night. They only have dedicated DRLs paired with the expensive HID models, but all running lights are still on.

I don't know why everyone wouldn't want that, it makes it truly automatic headlights. I never, ever have to remember to turn them on.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

LloydDobler posted:

Volvo figured it out. On many models, their DRLs are the low beams. Car's on, all lights are on, day or night. They only have dedicated DRLs paired with the expensive HID models, but all running lights are still on.

I don't know why everyone wouldn't want that, it makes it truly automatic headlights. I never, ever have to remember to turn them on.

Let's introduce you to General Motors.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

VW made some weird compromises between years/models. I've got a '16 Passat S (the base model) and it has automatic lights - I have literally never touched the dial since I got the car. My wife's got an '18 Jetta SE (the next trim up) and while she got the fancy ultra-white DRLs, the actual headlights are manual, and I constantly forget to turn them off when I get out of the car. (Thankfully the car reminds me). In that case though, the DRLs are pointed down to the point where it's obvious if the actual headlights are off.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Colostomy Bag posted:

Let's introduce you to General Motors.

General "Let's turn on the reverse lights when someone parks and gets out of the car" Motors?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

At the very least you'd think running lights would include taillights :iiam:

LloydDobler posted:

I genuinely don't understand why taillights aren't always on.

They cost nothing to run
They are simple to replace if the bulb goes
They must have some effect in reducing being hit from behind

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

spog posted:

I genuinely don't understand why taillights aren't always on.

They cost nothing to run
They are simple to replace if the bulb goes
They must have some effect in reducing being hit from behind

I don't have data to back this up but it wouldn't surprise me if a light going for off to on is more attention getting than a light getting brighter, making it safer to not be always on during the day time.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't have data to back this up but it wouldn't surprise me if a light going for off to on is more attention getting than a light getting brighter, making it safer to not be always on during the day time.

Rear lights being on signals a car in use, and not parked. The on/off effect is very likely as good transitioning from normal rear light to brake light engaged as the difference is quite large.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The center brake light is forbidden from having double-duty as a running light, so even in cars with overly-clever rear lights you still have a non-ambiguous stop light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

iospace posted:

General "Let's turn on the reverse lights when someone parks and gets out of the car" Motors?

So that's intentional? I see that all the time and wonder when the hell the driver is going to start reversing.