Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

this video owns, has Tei seen it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Powershift posted:

More like fallout $0.76

Damnit, i should have said fallout 76% off

To be fair, my Fallout 7.6 review score joke was looking way too optimistic.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Heads up tomorrow Bethesda is announcing theyre extending the BETA another 2 months.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Plan Z posted:

To be fair, my Fallout 7.6 review score joke was looking way too optimistic.

Two official reviews used this joke score to avoid Bethesda's wrath.

They are the highest scores on Metacritic.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ymgve posted:

There was a DMV quest? I got some tickets but no matter what I did I couldn't get the queue bots to accept me, even when my correct number was called. But every number call brought like 100 newly spawned ghouls to my location!

Just keep doing the story quests its near the end, you go back there and you can't miss it.

Powershift posted:

dude, they put loving dragons for some reason

It's a bat actually. Fallout 4 already added dragons, it was vertibirds they are named dragons in the files.

Mr Hootington posted:

I have found fog crawlers in the ash heap. They should have been only in the Bog and Mire.

There are a number of new enemies that I found not mind seeing in future Fallouts still like Wendigos and honey beasts.

I really like the new mutated monsters that are around. There's a crab that uses a trailer as its shell.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 26, 2018

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So I've been following this thread and am seeking clarification. Am I understanding this correctly, that the way this game is made- in order for them to fix issues it will always require these obnoxiously large updates? And sooo, I mean, that's not sustainable is it?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Magmarashi posted:

Not entirely following the complaint with this. WV has crayfish and freshwater shrimps.

I'm more concerned about where the gently caress Anglers came from in West Virginia

Fog Crawlers were created by the radioactive fog, which was a plot point in Far Harbor. Having them be elsewhere makes no sense.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Goobish posted:

So I've been following this thread and am seeking clarification. Am I understanding this correctly, that the way this game is made- in order for them to fix issues it will always require these obnoxiously large updates? And sooo, I mean, that's not sustainable is it?

No, they just made the game like they normally do, all patches are the same deployment on consoles / pc so theyre structure it to download the same data

im just kidding they royally hosed up and just have no idea what theyre doing

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

NofrikinfuN posted:

This... Isn't just a meme? yikes

They were part of the live action commercials even! Because yeah, of course you want direct Skyrim Dragon final bosses! Why even hide how copy and pasted it is?!

Siljmonster posted:

Heads up tomorrow Bethesda is announcing theyre extending the BETA another 2 months.

I'll be generous and suggest maybe 3 years. And people payed loving $200 for a helmet and this game.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Crabtree posted:

I'll be generous and suggest maybe 3 years. And people payed loving $200 for a helmet and this game.

There's no limit to what whales are wiling to pay for.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crabtree posted:

They were part of the live action commercials even! Because yeah, of course you want direct Skyrim Dragon final bosses! Why even hide how copy and pasted it is?!

if you or anyone you know bought the helmet version of this game please post the helmet i need to see its quality

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Fog Crawlers were created by the radioactive fog, which was a plot point in Far Harbor. Having them be elsewhere makes no sense.

They got radiation in WV.

The Fog wasn't ~special~ radiation, it was fog loaded with radiation.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Perfect for protecting your virginity!

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Powershift posted:

dude, they put loving dragons for some reason

um ackshually they're bats, gamebryo is a rendering engine and furthermore

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Goobish posted:

Lots of games in recent years use the system. It was noticeable and dumb in the era of 6-10GB games, but it's so much worse with 20-30-40-and up games. If I was on my old connection, then it would literally be like an hour per gig.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 26, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They should go F2P and give people who paid $60 for the game $60 worth of funbux to buy $15 power armor skins

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tenzarin posted:

I really like the new mutated monsters that are around. There's a crab that uses a trailer as its shell.

Yeah, those were in Far Harbor.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Hermit_crab

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's lame to charge for a game AND have microtransactions anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I thought it was one of those famous West Virginia crabs. You know their slogan "West Virginia, it's on the ocean, that's why we have crabs and dragons"

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Powershift posted:

I thought it was one of those famous West Virginia crabs. You know their slogan "West Virginia, it's on the ocean, that's why we have crabs and dragons"

Wait, you get a lot of dragons on the coast?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

It's a bat actually. Fallout 4 already added dragons, it was vertibirds they are named dragons in the files.

ah yes, I too, am familiar with many fire-breathing bat species

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

Wait, you get a lot of dragons on the coast?

Yeah, they're everywhere on the Atlantic coast of West Virginia.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Hauki posted:

ah yes, I too, am familiar with many fire-breathing bat species

Sorta like those fire breathing desert geckos and spitting venus fly traps. (animal doesn't do that in real life is a really stupid platform to take for fallout)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So is this like, the Metal Gear Survive of Fallout?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

Metal Gear Survive added more base building elements, it didn't take them away instead.

I will say for all it's faults some of the no-npcs quests weren't bad. Like the Free-States/Firebreather stuff was decent. Also the map design overall was neat there are multiple distinctive areas just not too much to really do in them.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

Nah, extra characters are free to make in this

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Trying to remember, could you be interrupted while engaging in a conversation in Fallout 4? For sure you couldn't in Fallout 3, it was like Oblivion, everything stood still to carry the conversation.

Im just trying to think of why they didn't add a single human NPC.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Fargin Icehole posted:

Metal Gear survive was a ok but not great game made using a fantastic engine. It had some new assets and a coherent gameplay loop.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Fargin Icehole posted:

No, because Survive wasn't buggy. Also it was good game that was doomed by the Kojima drama.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Fargin Icehole posted:

Trying to remember, could you be interrupted while engaging in a conversation in Fallout 4? For sure you couldn't in Fallout 3, it was like Oblivion, everything stood still to carry the conversation.

Given there are (Robot) NPCs, including wandering ones etc etc it's pretty clear it was a design decision to make the wasteland more of an actual wasteland, rather than emerging from the vault and finding The Hub/Vault City/Rivet City/New Vegas/Diamond City already well established.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Siljmonster posted:

if you or anyone you know bought the helmet version of this game please post the helmet i need to see its quality

My coworker did (He got it on Walmart.com for $120 somehow) and brought it in - I wore it for a minute. It's surprisingly good quality, but the voice-changer is comparable to a McDonalds Happy Meal toy. Here's him wearing it (I got his permission to post this)

For what it's worth, he hasn't even installed it, let alone opened the game - he bought it exclusively for the helmet. His first Fallout game was 4.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 26, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yeah, the world went on in Fallout 4. You can probably find a couple dozen videos of companions trying to have their affinity conversations when suddenly a wandering batch of raiders shows up. Or pinning Preston in the middle of the Sanctuary river to have a long conversation about the future of the Minutemen until he takes an overwhelming amount of rads and gets temporarily disabled.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Pararoid posted:

Given there are (Robot) NPCs, including wandering ones etc etc it's pretty clear it was a design decision to make the wasteland more of an actual wasteland, rather than emerging from the vault and finding The Hub/Vault City/Rivet City/New Vegas/Diamond City already well established.

Also, the AI packages they use for daily routines would likely choke the entire game to death by themselves if you had enough people in enough different locations all loading them in at once. Even the NPCs they do have, Grahm and Rose for example, lack any sort of real day/night cycle routines or actual conversation options to reduce their footprint as small as possible.

They likely didn't want to clean up their AI enough to make it work for a one-off multiplayer spinoff when it already works well enough to pass in their single player titles, and it's not hard to come up with a story rationalization for it.

I do like that they didn't just throw the robots in and say 'Automation!' but actually put a fair amount of detail into the civil strife boiling over in the final months before the Great War, and a great deal of the disasters that have befallen WV in the aftermath have been more direct results of pollution and callous disregard by pre-war mindsets. Even Charleston wasn't that bad off and intact after the initial War, and it was raiders after the fact blowing the Summersville dam that actually destroyed the place.

They put WORK into the details this time around, real serious work. Rose's quests and character are a lot of fun, the Mistress of Mysteries stuff is Silver Shroud quality, there's a lot more than just Wacky Skeleton Poses! going on this time around with the environmental stuff they love so much.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 26, 2018

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yeah, I think it was Gerstman (I know it was a Giant Bomb guy) who said they were getting wary of activating any sort of quest item or dialogue because you could just not have it register, or because of the "soft" conversational system, you could get nudged out of a dialogue or full-stop have another character interrupt the conversation with their forced dialogue for you.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

DoctorGonzo posted:

What is the best tear down of the game so far?

If you want a nice short tear down you can't get better than this

quote:

Gerstmann’s exact quote from yesterday’s Bombcast was, “No one on staff wants to play anymore of this videogame [Fallout 76]. I’m not going to subject myself to another 20-30 hours of this loving mess to just put a number on it. My number is ‘Don’t play this game’.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9l_MpOv5kI

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Goobish posted:

I don't know how consoles work but the way Steam works is that if a file changes you download the entire file over again. They stuff their entire game into ESM and ESP files basically. So if they change one tiny thing, you download the whole file over again.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Nah Steam supports delta patching. It's just another problem with using systems that were designed decades ago without consideration for things like that. It may also just a case of Bethesda being too lazy to create deltas, IDK I don't really remember how their formats work.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 26, 2018

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i loving love the pip boy, and his emollient disposition

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

K8.0 posted:

Nah Steam supports delta patching. It's just another problem with using systems that were designed decades ago without consideration for things like that.

Delta patching was all over the place in the 90's. So I'd say you can't blame the old systems - these systems are new sloppy designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I'm mad for you putting this even briefly in my Youtube history. The Giant Bomb and Waypoint chats are much better teardowns.