Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JediTalentAgent posted:

I seem to recall some quote from someone on the show about the contract dispute that was along the lines of, "You can make hundreds of thousands of dollars an episode and still get screwed over."

But I don't know what the full context of this might be or what it was referring to. I'm thinking maybe royalties on merchandising which might pull in more per year than the actual show does.

Chapo had an interview with one of the writers who said they were supposed to get annual bonuses based on show profitability, but according to Fox the show never made a cent of profit over its entire run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Hollywood accounting extends to TV shows too

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Wemus posted:

professors "i don't want to live on this planet anymore" comes from the newer seasons.

as does "why the farnsworths have been in new new york for nearly 200 years!"
prof: "yes i have"

Also "shut up an take my money", which is from one of the top 3 worst episodes

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

"Stupid Sexy Flanders" was from an otherwise pretty bad episode

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

There are a handful of other post movie episodes that are pretty good.

Also, don't they directly address the alien invasion destroying Old New York in a (later) episode? It wasn't actually a major event at all, it was entirely localized maybe?

It turns out Bender did it

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

These read like when A Fancy Hat used to do those fake Trump spiels until one day Trump basically used one of his posts verbatim over multiple tweets and he was so freaked out that he stopped posting

He never stopped you big weirdo!!! He did one like yesterday.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

spaceblancmange posted:

I watched through the original run of Futurama this year and enjoyed it. I've never bothered with later stuff on reputation and the original run ended nice enough anyway. Anyone who says it at any stage matches or betters the Simpsons golden age is a crazy person, though.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone earnestly claim this. Most people would probably agree that Futurama at its worst doesn't even come close to as bad as the worst Simpsons episodes/seasons, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Futurama is a different kind of show. More quotable verbally, more text-based/punnish sight gags, more cerebral and self-aware, less situational and character-driven. You have to be more invested in it, but I think you can get more out of it if you put more into it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sagebrush posted:

nobody thinks the Futurama movies are better than peak Simpsons. What's wrong with you, buddy?

that dude sucks poo poo lol

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Captain Hygiene posted:

Horace posted:

Worst thing about Futurama was the heads in jars. Just a vessel for terrible celebrity cameos, a thousand years out of date.

Counterpoint:

1,025 years out of date.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm sorry but World President Head of Richard Nixon and World Vice President Headless Body of Spiro Agnew are loving slam dunk gags.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I never see a picture of Nixon without thinking "aroo"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bitterandtwisted posted:

I never see a picture of Nixon without thinking "aroo"

I can't look at a Charleston Chew without thinking of Nixon.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBl3yCICGQ

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

so many jokes that could be saved by better writers

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

It takes a special kind of talent to make "Wiggum in a jetpack" so boring and unfunny.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My Linux Rig posted:

so many jokes that could be saved by better writers

And with non lovely animation. It looks so awkward when Eddie points the gun at him and when the criminals escape.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Post-cancellation Futurama just gets tiring. They want to desperately have another "Fry's dog" episode so there's a 50% chance that any episode you watch tries to be some heart-rending emotional rollercoaster and just ends up flat. They all had great jokes and gags in them, but most episodes had at least one pretty hard cringe in them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Susan Boyle sure is a joke that aged well on top of being not stupid and tone-deaf to begin with

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
And what the gently caress was even that nature documentary episode?

Oh and when they did a parody of minority report about 10 years after it came out.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

Also "shut up an take my money", which is from one of the top 3 worst episodes

which episode was that from?

Data Graham posted:

Susan Boyle sure is a joke that aged well on top of being not stupid and tone-deaf to begin with

the susan boyle episode was the one that made me quit futurama altogether

also, fry & leela's relationship made so much more sense in the pre-cancelation seasons. it went from "leela's cyclopean situation has given her abysmal self-esteem & she thinks fry's the best she can do" to "leela is fry's soulmate".

also also, i consider jurassic bark the worst pre-cancelation episode. cloying dreck.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

which episode was that from?

the susan boyle episode was the one that made me quit futurama altogether

It's from the susan boyle episode...

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
oh, lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I felt like the writers kept trying have a twist in the third act of new episodes and it got tiring.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
One of my favorite aspects of early Simpsons is how every episode could have happened in one day and nothing ever impacted any other episode (outside of maybe Sideshow Bob) and nobody ever aged or changed their clothes. I thought it was brilliant to keep this rule because every episode could be independent and shown out of order or picked up by a casual viewer without losing any entertainment value. They’d even poke jokes about this like at the end of the hated Skinner episode.

But then at some point they stopped. In my memory it began with Maude’s death and Jerk Homer and after Apu’s babies everything went down the toilet.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

QwertySanchez posted:

And what the gently caress was even that nature documentary episode?

Oh and when they did a parody of minority report about 10 years after it came out.

I liked the nature documentary one, but I love everything David Attenborough has done so maybe that's why.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bad day posted:

One of my favorite aspects of early Simpsons is how every episode could have happened in one day and nothing ever impacted any other episode (outside of maybe Sideshow Bob) and nobody ever aged or changed their clothes. I thought it was brilliant to keep this rule because every episode could be independent and shown out of order or picked up by a casual viewer without losing any entertainment value. They’d even poke jokes about this like at the end of the hated Skinner episode.

But then at some point they stopped. In my memory it began with Maude’s death and Jerk Homer and after Apu’s babies everything went down the toilet.

They started changing some characters a bit earlier than that, like Neds backstory, because everyone assumed the show would be dead in a few years.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All this talk of Futurama, and no one brings up the crossover episode? Or maybe it came up years ago already. Who knows!

I don't remember enough of it to make a half-hearted joke. But at least it was better than the family guy one.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I watched the crossover episode last week, and I can't remember enough of it to make a half hearted joke.

Was it better than the Family Guy crossover though? I know I laughed at that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hu

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Horace posted:

I watched the crossover episode last week, and I can't remember enough of it to make a half hearted joke.

Was it better than the Family Guy crossover though? I know I laughed at that.

I think the Family Guy one was better, it seemed like they at least tried to have fun with it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I didn't hate that episode, the idea for the story was just dumb as poo poo.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Sorry, we're talking about this family guy crossover right? Because.... yikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-aZwzdQUo

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That scene is funny and the Family Guy crossover is funny... up until the long, overly violent fight between Peter and Homer. It's fun to see a giant chicken get all bloodied and mangled... it's less fun to see it happen to Homer.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Has anybody watched Disenchantment? The trailer gave me bad flashbacks to late era Futurama, (lazy GoT joke? Is that your best material?) but people keep saying it's different and less funny, more serious on purpose or whatever. So this apparent contradiction has made me keep a safe distance so far, but lately I've be been looking for something to watch, so...

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
that clip is both cool and good :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^ Yeah I reluctantly thought that was a halfway-decent double-layered gag right there

steinrokkan posted:

Has anybody watched Disenchantment? The trailer gave me bad flashbacks to late era Futurama, (lazy GoT joke? Is that your best material?) but people keep saying it's different and less funny, more serious on purpose or whatever. So this apparent contradiction has made me keep a safe distance so far, but lately I've be been looking for something to watch, so...

This testimonial sounds like delirious McGuirk saying "Brendon, try these leaves, they're poisonous"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Riptor posted:

Sorry, we're talking about this family guy crossover right? Because.... yikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-aZwzdQUo

This scene and the chicken fight sucked but I did like the jokes that contrasted the two shows. I think it was much better than the Simpsons/Futurama crossover.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think I tried to give Disenchantment a watch, but I think where it was failing for me was that despite it being a mythical setting, it didn't really feel like it had the spirit of such a thing, almost too modern, amongst other things.

I similarly tried to give Paradise PD a watch and found it after the first 3 minutes to be one of the most frustratingly bad animated comedies I've seen in a while.

I know people tend to focus on Rick and Morty and Venture Bros. when it comes to Adult Swim, but I don't know how they managed to succeed so relatively well in almost all their original animated fare over the years, even the most absurd and disturbing ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I really wouldn't recommend Disenchantment, and I watched the simpsons up to season 24 before deciding that was unwatchable.

edit: for those wondering. This is the episode that finally made me quit.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 28, 2018