Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

~*~SKYRIM FIDGET SPINNER ASMR 10 HOURS~*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Am I wrong? Am I crazy?

:wink:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Buy the game to find out

Nah not that curious that is for sure.

Ganbare Gincun
Jul 24, 2014
Why are Bethesda's open world games so popular? It's because people can either 1) create their own content with the Creation Kit or 2) download content created by other players. The quality of these free mods varies wildly from creator to creator, but the fact that people can design their own player homes or quests or whatever and share them with the internet is probably Bethesda's biggest selling point right now. That's why Bethesda made mod support for XBox One and the PS4 such a high priority whenever they released Fallout 4 - it allowed players that never had access to mods to be able to download all kind of new, free content that they couldn't use before. That's also why the settlement workshop system was given so much face time - it was the closest thing that XBox One and PS4 players would get to a Creation Kit style experience without forcing them to go out and purchase a new PC. The fact that building settlements undercut the main plot of the game was apparently considered to be a minor issue when compared to how many hours of "content" such a system would create, which would in turn translate to a longer play times and improved game sales.

Sadly, this is also the main reason that Bethesda refuses to replace their ancient game engine. They would rather update what they have now because switching engines would necessitate creating a new Creation Kit, which would in turn substantially increase game development time and expand the window from game release to Creation Kit content hitting the streets. However, instead of working to avert this catastrophe, they have instead chosen to focus on creating paid mods and digital marketplaces for them. Bethesda made a LOT of money selling lunchboxes in Fallout Shelter, and they would love to reap that kind of windfall from their non-mobile open world games. They're trying to benefit from two contradictory mod-based game design initiatives, but their game engine is crumbling down around them like the House of Usher.

You might think that Fallout 76's critical and popular failure would be a wake-up call for Bethesda. Unfortunately, I believe that their next open world game will have to fail much, much harder then Fallout 76 has before they are moved to action. They still plan on using the Creation Engine for both the next Elder Scrolls game and their new science fiction game Starfield, for god's sake!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Skyrim was internet hyped up.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ZeusCannon posted:

How many straight new creatures were added for wv by the way. Actually curious since the local flavor of enemies is part of why i liked fallout.

none, but there's a few new gay ones

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ganbare Gincun posted:

Why are Bethesda's open world games so popular? It's because people can either 1) create their own content with the Creation Kit or 2) download content created by other players. The quality of these free mods varies wildly from creator to creator, but the fact that people can design their own player homes or quests or whatever and share them with the internet is probably Bethesda's biggest selling point right now. That's why Bethesda made mod support for XBox One and the PS4 such a high priority whenever they released Fallout 4 - it allowed players that never had access to mods to be able to download all kind of new, free content that they couldn't use before. That's also why the settlement workshop system was given so much face time - it was the closest thing that XBox One and PS4 players would get to a Creation Kit style experience without forcing them to go out and purchase a new PC. The fact that building settlements undercut the main plot of the game was apparently considered to be a minor issue when compared to how many hours of "content" such a system would create, which would in turn translate to a longer play times and improved game sales.

Sadly, this is also the main reason that Bethesda refuses to replace their ancient game engine. They would rather update what they have now because switching engines would necessitate creating a new Creation Kit, which would in turn substantially increase game development time and expand the window from game release to Creation Kit content hitting the streets. However, instead of working to avert this catastrophe, they have instead chosen to focus on creating paid mods and digital marketplaces for them. Bethesda made a LOT of money selling lunchboxes in Fallout Shelter, and they would love to reap that kind of windfall from their non-mobile open world games. They're trying to benefit from two contradictory mod-based game design initiatives, but their game engine is crumbling down around them like the House of Usher.

You might think that Fallout 76's critical and popular failure would be a wake-up call for Bethesda. Unfortunately, I believe that their next open world game will have to fail much, much harder then Fallout 76 has before they are moved to action. They still plan on using the Creation Engine for both the next Elder Scrolls game and their new science fiction game Starfield, for god's sake!

You could beat the engine into shape, I'm convinced you could. You could also make new assets, creatures and animations but I guess Bethesda is too cool for that so like hell they are going to do the nerdy poo poo.
I'd really like to be a fly on the wall at Bethesda HQ right now with Todd and Co just to see how they are taking it. Nobody likes 76 and its going to be remembered as the worst Fallout game because according to critical ratings, it is. That isn't just going to go away, plus its hilariously fun to mock. Like when Microsoft showed the Xbone for the first time in what, 2013? The merciless mocking just continued for so freakin' long.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

*glithces into space from this critical hit*

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ZeusCannon posted:

How many straight new creatures were added for wv by the way. Actually curious since the local flavor of enemies is part of why i liked fallout.

they added Dragons to Fallout

Ganbare Gincun
Jul 24, 2014

Tei posted:

Somebody accidentally found that you can tame animals.

I'd like to know how they did this!

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ganbare Gincun posted:

I'd like to know how they did this!

poorly

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tei posted:

Somebody accidentally found that you can tame animals.

WOW!

* resumes customizing my horse in RDR2

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
yeah the taming animals thing owns

re: the ancient engine being used for TES6 and Starfield, at this point I'm pretty sure Bethesda's gonna Sunk Cost Fallacy themselves into oblivion (:haw:)

They've still got plenty of time to course-correct. They could take all the feedback from 76 and decide, hey, maybe we should develop a new engine. But they probably won't

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lol

Siljmonster posted:

they added Dragons to Fallout

Yeah but those are basically just reskins i meant new animations new models etc.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm not technical enough to know how they go about doing this but the problem that stands out the most with creation engine is the ugly rear end limited animations of everything. If animations were as sexy as they are in other modern games I think the rest of the engine works well enough. That, and tighter combat.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ZeusCannon posted:

Lol

Yeah but those are basically just reskins i meant new animations new models etc.

No new skeletons or animations.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Donovan Trip posted:

I'm not technical enough to know how they go about doing this but the problem that stands out the most with creation engine is the ugly rear end limited animations of everything. If animations were as sexy as they are in other modern games I think the rest of the engine works well enough. That, and tighter combat.

Animation engine is definitely one of the moving parts of the engine, I clearly remember them being proud of having a new animation engine from Skyrim but that was 7 years ago...

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Siljmonster posted:

No new skeletons or animations.

Not even mothman or whatever?!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ZeusCannon posted:

Not even mothman or whatever?!

Nah there's new animations and stuff specifically for the new creatures, out of necessity, but they're definitely modified versions of existing enemies. Some of them are pretty cool though.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/14-11-2018-fallout-76-new-creatures-all-the-new-wildlife-animals-and-enemies-in-fallout-76

I like the snallygasters especially, they kinda remind me of Wanamingos

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Lol

The bats are new models and the skeletons, if based on dragons, are fairly altered. They're not direct redskins.

I think all of the cryptids are 'new', the honeybeasts as well.

None of them are 100% 'Brand New' because it's industry standard to not reinvent the wheel each time you want to make a new critter, and just take a skeleton that works and change it to suit the new thing.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 28, 2018

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh nice thanks for the link. I do think the odd hunched mothman is a pretty cool look

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Honeybeast actually look pretty cool as well

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Yeah as a WVer, I was pretty stoked to see so much of my home portrayed in a fallout game. Sucks that it sucks though.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ZeusCannon posted:

Honeybeast actually look pretty cool as well
They're pretty fun to fight, too. First time I saw one I didn't know wtf, and suddenly it's shooting bee swarms at me that I have to deal with while the main beast is trying to gently caress me up.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wendigos are Hagravens/Falmer/Aliens
Honeybeasts are Spiders
Scorchbeasts are Dragons
Giant Ticks are Dwarven Spiders
Bloodbugs are chaurus flyers
Giant Sloths are Mammoths
Molemen are Frost Atronach
Mothman is Storm Atronach

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Giggle Goose posted:

Yeah as a WVer, I was pretty stoked to see so much of my home portrayed in a fallout game. Sucks that it sucks though.

Yeah west virginia is beautiful country. So i think half of my anger at this abysmal wreck is when someone said fallout in west virginia my mind went loving wild and then this wet turd showed up.

Actually when someone told my first statement was "how are they going to make it more post apocalyptic than it already is" which made me a little sad

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Giggle Goose posted:

This was how I felt as someone from Boston! A beautiful downtown that turned into just a weird maze of brownstone skyscrapers.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did they get the toxic run off from all the mines in WV correct? Did they show all the mountaintop removal in Fallout 76? What about all the opiod addiction problems?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Siljmonster posted:

Did they get the toxic run off from all the mines in WV correct? Did they show all the mountaintop removal in Fallout 76? What about all the opiod addiction problems?

I think the reason so many WVers like myself were so excited initially (other people's beta experiences are what saved me from the pre-order) was that it showed a few of the things about WV beyond the contemporary.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So am I right to assume they actually pulled of the 4 times bigger map alright, considering I don't see anyone complaining about that and that was one of my bigger worries.

Also I got remembered about the distant weather system where you can see weather happening on the other side of the map, is that real or yet another of Todd's lies?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bholder posted:

So am I right to assume they actually pulled of the 4 times bigger map alright, considering I don't see anyone complaining about that and that was one of my bigger worries.

Also I got remembered about the distant weather system where you can see weather happening on the other side of the map, is that real or yet another of Todd's lies?

They said the exact same things about Skryim.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

yeah the taming animals thing owns

re: the ancient engine being used for TES6 and Starfield, at this point I'm pretty sure Bethesda's gonna Sunk Cost Fallacy themselves into oblivion (:haw:)

They've still got plenty of time to course-correct. They could take all the feedback from 76 and decide, hey, maybe we should develop a new engine. But they probably won't

The day Todd dies is the day Bethesda would ever start talks to consider using another engine. Him and his highschool buddies in the company are probably the biggest reasons why they will cling to that poo poo until they somehow go bankrupt.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Siljmonster posted:

Wendigos are Hagravens/Falmer/Aliens
Honeybeasts are Spiders
Scorchbeasts are Dragons
Giant Ticks are Dwarven Spiders
Bloodbugs are chaurus flyers
Giant Sloths are Mammoths
Molemen are Frost Atronach
Mothman is Storm Atronach

There is an actual alien somewhere. I never saw it but its listed in the challenges to kill an alien.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyTIvIA4PoU

:allears:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This is my favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gh1ME8GIkE

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Bethesda honestly amazes me. Their game receive enormous negative user and critical reception and they are swinging what amounts to basic bug fixes as major patch points.

And of course, they wouldn't be doing their jobs unless they took a feature request everyone wants and implement it in the most asinine, fun-less way possible.

quote:

SPECIAL Respec: After level 50, you’ll be able to choose between a new Perk Card, or moving a SPECIAL point you had previously allocated.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Feels Villeneuve posted:

At this point even Assassins Creed games have better open world design than Bethesda games lol
You jest but the Assassin's Creed series has been evolving at a pretty impressive pace. Compare the first game to Odyssey or Origins.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Just patch the weight limit right now instead of making everyone wait another week, it's not like they're going to QA test it either way

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fawf posted:

Just patch the weight limit right now instead of making everyone wait another week, it's not like they're going to QA test it either way

Gotta compile the new version as a 50gb download to fix one line in a config file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

The guard ordered them to move along - the fruit was only doing as it was told. Don't see the problem here...