Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Now that theres trade routes maybe a similar mechanic could be used for supply lines and the cost of supporting garrisons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paradox games don't have a great track record of modelling supply lines in ways that actually work or are intuitive or interesting.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

BLACKFRIDAY10 still works, but when it stops working, it looks like DLGamer has the best deal, at €0.70 more than Fanatical.

https://isthereanydeal.com/waitlist/?by=cut:desc#/page:game/info?plain=stellarismegacorp

I just did this and it still processed with the BF discount, thanks for the heads up.

Key not available until release date, though? Are these guys gonna scam me?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

pmchem posted:

I just did this and it still processed with the BF discount, thanks for the heads up.

Key not available until release date, though? Are these guys gonna scam me?

That's normal for all third party sites, they don't get the keys ahead of time unless it's a big title with a preload.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I've used Fanatical before they're legit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Are torpedo corvettes still OP? Or do they just happen to hard counter the Great Khan extremely well, because I went from desperately trying to hold on to effortlessly deleting the Horde after I made the switch away from auto-designed fleets.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If you have more forced-spawn empires than there are open slots in a game it picks from the force spawn pool at random to fill up those slots. No randos will be generated.

I was hoping this would be the case but I've had a few instances where some randos still managed to show up at the start and I'm wondering why that is. Maybe they were just an early space age primitive civ that happened to activate really, really early on in the game?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Xarbala posted:

I was hoping this would be the case but I've had a few instances where some randos still managed to show up at the start and I'm wondering why that is. Maybe they were just an early space age primitive civ that happened to activate really, really early on in the game?

That's my guess, I've seen primitives reach regular empire status within a few years of game start if they get lucky rolls.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Clarste posted:

I don't want to have to dump huge armies on every conquered planet. That sounds extremely tedious and unfun.

I mean the whole thing would be contingent on the process of raising armies being less annoying, whether it's through giving them a fleet-style REINFORCE ARMIES button that raises them and rallies them automatically, or changing armies so that they're managed through a ship component that could be replenished by visiting a friendly starbase, a la repairing, or something like that. That way the tension would come from decisions about the expense of armies and how many to get/where to deploy them, instead of of clicking through every nearby planet and jamming the recruit button 500 times and then making sure they all go to the right place.

IIRC- and it's been a while since I played it- I think Civ4 had something like that, where uprisings in occupied cities could damage your occupying garrison units if you tried to skimp on them, and it worked pretty well.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Make it so empires have a manpower pool determined by how many Soldier pops they have. You no longer raise individual armies but instead assign manpower from your pool to unrest suppression at home/holding occupied territory/filling up troop bay modules in fleets to conquer new territory. As war goes on, troops obviously die which increases war exhaustion, decreases your available manpower, and maybe if you get in Space WWI and it's bad enough can even entirely delete soldier pops or something. Ideally the numbers are balanced so that unless you're a hyper-militarized empire where everyone learns to shoot at 5 years old and then spends their entire life in the military, you have to be careful not to invade too much poo poo or you'll end up spreading your forces too thin. Things like supply lines already have a basic prototype in trade routes representing how goods get from one place to another and how secure that route it, just for military supply lines change the flavor text so it says the goods being transported are explodey rocks for killing people instead of shiny rocks for impressing people.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 28, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I hate stalling in a war because I need to build another 20 armies and fly them across the galaxy because there's this one loving heavily fortified world and I am powerless against its ground-military might despite basically destroying their empire. That's my story.

Edit: I guess this is the plot of Independence Day huh.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 28, 2018

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, get rid of armies all together. I don't care what replaces them, but armies are bad.

Alternatively, have a global army pool so I don't have to drive them around.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

Are torpedo corvettes still OP? Or do they just happen to hard counter the Great Khan extremely well, because I went from desperately trying to hold on to effortlessly deleting the Horde after I made the switch away from auto-designed fleets.

Marauders have barely any PD and even then only flak, so missiles are pretty much a hard counter to them, yes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
One of the potential benefits of troop transports as separate fleets is that this allows them to be sniped, which theoretically boosts combat's fairly anaemic tactical layer.

Unfortunately in single player the AI is too dumb to do this and too dumb to recover from it happening to them so it's just yet another way for a human player to clown the AI. I don't know how it plays out multiplayer though.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 28, 2018

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

One of the potential benefits of troop transports as separate fleets is that this allows them to be sniped, which theoretically boosts combat's fairly anaemic tactical layer.

Unfortunately in single player the AI is too dumb to do this and too dumb to recover from it happening to them so it's just yet another way for a human player to clown the AI. I don't know how it plays out multiplayer though.

Unfortunately the counter to this is for troop transports to exclusively follow your fleet like sad puppies, which everyone except the AI does. In I think 2.0 they actually made this easier by ensuring fleets follow each other precisely.

Ground combat should (a) involve manpower and (b) have mans carried by your main fleet. ES2's model is better than that of Stellaris.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Ciaphas posted:

How far in the tech tree/timeline do you get on a map that small?

At .75 tech speed, I'm just starting to hit T4 equipment with a non-science focused empire. A science empire just starts to get Titans. Another good way to put I guess is it ends between your 4th and 6th unity perks.

150 or 200 stars is probably better because you get to see battleships a lot more and Titans may come into play. Shouldn't be too much longer in terms of playtime either.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

There isn't really a point in me starting a new game, is there? Because in 8 days everything changes...again!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Communist Bear posted:

There isn't really a point in me starting a new game, is there? Because in 8 days everything changes...again!

Is there a single place where the changes are listed? I haven't fully figured out the current version of the game yet.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1067400786857132039?s=19

These changes to resource production have turned up my hype dial to 11. The balance of resources you select will have a considerable impact on the style of empire you want to be, as they'll be in essence non-fungible once processed. You can't just stockpile minerals and poo poo out fleets any more while still keeping your citizens in comfort. You have to choose. And that's good.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I am ready for Anno Stellaris. I guess there already was Anno 2205, well Anno 2200 is gonna be lit

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
They're all fungible though, you'll just have to eat market fees, which admittedly will probably be prohibitive unless you really need e.g. alloys after an unexpected attack. But you might have an empire that gets the fee discount from diplo traditions and focuses on energy credits so they only have to eat fees one way.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The market prices are also subject to supply and demand though, which means that it'll probably become prohibitively expensive to rely on the market too much unless other empires are selling an equal amount of alloys to the market.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Best part of the 'Expansion Feature Breakdown' video is that lootboxes have been added to the game (at Caravansaries).

I laughed harder than I should have at this. It's...too perfect.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I moved overseas and my laptop is ten years old and can't do poo poo. Please thread, do the needful and post pics and stories that I may live vicariously.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

market fees look like theyll be really intense, too. I guess they dont want a repeat of Trade Enclaves, or people actually gaining resources through arbitrage

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Started a new campaign as a random empire last night. Fanatic xenophile, materialist megacorporation. Clearly a sign!

There's something magical about the early game, when you count the alien empires you know about on one hand, your science ships have plenty of exploring to do, and your economic output hasn't gotten silly yet. I always end up losing interest when things get too big and too abstract for me to make up stories about my head about what's going on, but I'm determined to either win or grab a handful of late-game achievements before the DLC drops!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Staltran posted:

They're all fungible though, you'll just have to eat market fees, which admittedly will probably be prohibitive unless you really need e.g. alloys after an unexpected attack. But you might have an empire that gets the fee discount from diplo traditions and focuses on energy credits so they only have to eat fees one way.

You're correct, I forgot about the market. I think corporations are intended to fulfil the role you outline.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Half-wit posted:

Best part of the 'Expansion Feature Breakdown' video is that lootboxes have been added to the game (at Caravansaries).

I laughed harder than I should have at this. It's...too perfect.

At least they aren't paid for with real money

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1067732494282219520

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1067676219683028993

Planets look like they're going to be significantly different depending on the biomes, and Life Seeded looks to be even more interesting than before.

Is it the 6th yet?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

my ideas on ground combat that i came up with while zoning out on conference calls

Remove armies as tangible units

anything that produces soldier jobs now functions as an invasion staging ground, meaning you can launch an invasion from there. Theres also a new Supply Depot module for starbases that do the same thing

invasions have a range that increases with tech. so you might start out being aby to invade systems 5 jumps away but increase it to 10 or whatever

Invasions right now, practically speaking, are basically hidden progress bars where you park a fleet in orbit and bomb poo poo until the defender strength is lower than your armies then invade. Lean into this and simplify it.

Invasions work by opening up a route between your target and a staging ground and clicking a button that says invade. It then just copies the interface from hoi4 where you have a progress bar that estimates how long the invasion will take, a picture of the generals involved, and ballin artwork of alien planet battles that tell you what each army is doing. The invaders are beginning an Urban Assault, so the defenders left booby traps and lit poo poo on fire as part of a Scorched Earth Defense. Unless something changes its a matter of when the planet falls, not if assuming nothing external happens

Said external event is getting a system on the invasion route captured and the route cut off, giving a massive penalty that causes the progress bar to drop steadily. If it hits 0% the invasion is a loss. the gamplay around invasions then becomes: Can the defender cut off the invaders before the planet falls? Can the Invaders reestablish a route before their invasion is crushed? Can the invaders maintain the costs of a really long invasion of a fortress world?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Capfalcon posted:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1067732494282219520

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1067676219683028993

Planets look like they're going to be significantly different depending on the biomes, and Life Seeded looks to be even more interesting than before.

Is it the 6th yet?

:gizz:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
It's getting hard to contain my hype for Stellaris 3.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It's nice to see that they're incorporating Guilli's Planet Modifiers into the base game, even if unofficially. That's the one single must-have mod, IMO. Planets have needed the individuality for a long time.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Ya I installed that mod after someone suggested it here and it's awesome. Are they adding any new music to this DLC? Or is there a mod with more stellaris like music? I really like the soundtrack to this game

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I'm hoping for a pack of a shitload of building variants that have slightly different effects based on terrain features.

Or perhaps each feature has a slightly different global effect on the planet.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Next update will take into account global warming so you can fry planets with too much industry

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Ya I installed that mod after someone suggested it here and it's awesome. Are they adding any new music to this DLC? Or is there a mod with more stellaris like music? I really like the soundtrack to this game

They usually dedicate a dev diary to music when they plan to add more, even if it's remixes. Since there's only one more diary due before release, and it will presumably be the patch notes, I don't think we're getting anything new. It's a pity too, I like the music a lot, and all my attempts to find a Pandora station or YouTube channel to replace the soundtrack with has been disappointing.

I'd pay for a new music dlc as readily as I'd pay for a new portrait pack, personally.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There's a Mass Effect Soundtrack mod which adds all the Mass Effect music to the game. It fits pretty well IMO.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Re: Armies;

I've always thought armies should be ship slots. One army per non-corvette ship. Larger ships have larger army "numbers".

Eg: A destroyer can have an army slot filled with Marines. Marines on a destroyer have a ground combat strength of 10
A cruiser can have an army slot filled with Marines. Marines on a cruiser, which is larger, have a ground combat strength of 20.

Ships with an army slot have a physical troop transport following them. During combat, there's a chance the troop transport gets shot.

How to properly use? Have your main fleet do battle. Have a secondary fleet designed to move your army. The ships act as a defensive fleet for the troop transports.

This way troop transports are no longer lagging behind and get stuck in combat with single corvettes or a lovely outpost. Larger ships provide more army strength and you can introduce modules or ship behaviours to target/protect troops. The combat-army fleet also automatically helps conquering by bombarding during invasions.

It also allows for a new mechanic for planetary weapons to fire back potentially shooting down ships, but only if the ship is carrying an army. You can think of this as the ship, providing support to the army by going into a closer orbit for bombardment, and within range of planetary weapons.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Just tried picking Megacrop up from Fanatical and between putting it in my cart and then verifying my account email it has since been removed from their store for preorder? I can only put it on a wishlist now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Zurai posted:

There's a Mass Effect Soundtrack mod which adds all the Mass Effect music to the game. It fits pretty well IMO.

That will just make me want to play mass effect 2 and 3 again