Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

I think the games will still be individually judged on their merits, but every time you grab a potion off a shelf, pay 30 Ebony to reset your potion cooldown, and get murdered by a flying wheel of cheese, you'll obviously blame the lovely engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I sure love that the last 2 days I haven't been able to respawn if I die and have to quit out, sure is fun to lose all my stupid junk and have to retake anything I captured.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tenzarin posted:

What do you like about fallout 4?

It's a finished game and not a lovely asset flip?

Like, I'm not saying Fallout 4 is a great game or not bug ridden, but at least they tried. Fallout 76 is one of the worst games I've ever played.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Mr Hootington posted:

December 4th patch noted

Wonder when they'll patch in respect for their customers.

I know their contempt is a feature not a bug, shut up

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
A finished Bethesda game. Which means other people have to unfuck it for you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

NMA was right about Bethesda killing Fallout.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basically yeah, not even modders could save 76 though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Lord knows in the first week people had to basically do it themselves and already the giant breast/weird poo poo was there. Programming better in a few days what takes Bethesda years and several 100gb downloads.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I thought it was weird that you could basically finish the campaign in the beta

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Lord knows in the first week people had to basically do it themselves and already the giant breast/weird poo poo was there. Programming better in a few days what takes Bethesda years and several 100gb downloads.

wait, what? maybe this game isn't so bad after all

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder what the margin is like on game development and how much of the cost is driven by labor vs marketing or something like that.

I would guess that the return for a AAA game that's successful outweighs the development costs significantly, but that's obviously speculative because there's no guarantee even with good intel that they'll make back what they expect. Making a "true" Fallout game means doing stuff like huge branching dialogue choices, different options based on stats like having low INT or high CHA, that would mean more hours and more development time.

Fallout 4 dropped this almost entirely, I wonder how much of it was a race-to-the-bottom type thing where they thought they could squeeze more profit out by reducing development cost because they wagered similar to Bioware with ME2 that most people were playing for the shooty bits, not the RPG.

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 1, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You also have to consider launching their pc platform and beta testing to make all their games online to make a window to not allow modding on release for their future games.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Chickenwalker posted:

I wonder what the margin is like on game development and how much of the cost is driven by labor vs marketing or something like that.

I would guess that the return for a AAA game that's successful outweighs the development costs significantly, but that's obviously speculative because there's no guarantee even with good intel that they'll make back what they expect. Making a "true" Fallout game means doing stuff like huge branching dialogue choices, different options based on stats like having low INT or high CHA, that would mean more hours and more development time.

Fallout 4 dropped this almost entirely, I wonder how much of it was a race-to-the-bottom type thing where they thought they could squeeze more profit out by reducing development cost because they wagered similar to Bioware with ME2 that most people were playing for the shooty bits, not the RPG.

The margins are swung wildy toward marketing I'm guessing, like Hollywood does it.
I'm convinced Fallout 4 is what it is because Bethesda (and those there making FO4) thought they were good and their story was original and they were creating a thought-provoking piece that was to be respected and loved. It's a rail-roaded narrative that forces you to have a son not unlike lovely GMs in PNP games. They shucked the dialog choices probably for development time yeah, but they also don't understand how to do them so that's fine.

It's Bethesda's hubris that gave us Fallout 4 and Fallout 76, it's just they aren't getting away with it like they have before this time.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chickenwalker posted:

which kind of labor?

the labor of actually making the game? or the labor of dealing with endless meetings with managers from halfway across the world for marketing and producers have to suddenly request a feature change because todd saw a horse and thought maybe fallout players could have a horse hat?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Siljmonster posted:

which kind of labor?

the labor of actually making the game? or the labor of dealing with endless meetings with managers from halfway across the world for marketing and producers have to suddenly request a feature change because todd saw a horse and thought maybe fallout players could have a horse hat?

The labor of giving life to a living, breathing world full of dynamic and emergent gameplay

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Aluminum trays contain no aluminum

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Aluminum trays contain no aluminum

Aluminium

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

You just looked

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GET MY BELT SON posted:

You just looked

*lunges at you with a copy of fallout 76*

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
With all these bugs i cant help but think a beta would have really helped

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

With all these bugs i cant help but think a beta would have really helped

A beta launched Nov 14th

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The labor of giving life to a living, breathing world full of dynamic and emergent gameplay

Well you won't find any of that here.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I know it's because capitalism and business and profit quarters and all that but it will never stop being funny to me that game companies will ship broken unfinished pieces of poo poo to get them into certain launch windows instead of finishing the game and being known for a quality finished product in the long run

Then again quality finished products will never be something anyone needs to think Bethesda will ever be known for I guess

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://twitter.com/TheIndigoGaming/status/1068613090869211137

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ironically Fallout 76 has made Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel not a bad game in hindsight.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

The Mistress of Mystery questline has to be the best I have ever done in any Fallout. I hope in Fallout 5 we see the rest of the Unstoppables

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

The Mistress of Mystery questline has to be the best I have ever done in any Fallout. I hope in Fallout 5 we see the rest of the Unstoppables

hi todd

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ETPC posted:

hi todd

exnay on the oddtay

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Is Todd Howard the new Derek Smart? If I say his name 3 times will he appear in front of me? And stab me in the face?

Should the reviewer at Gamespot that gave BoS a 7.3 be stabbed in the face?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

The creators of F:BoS are so stoked right now.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Chickenwalker posted:

Marketing is 75-80% of the budget for AAA games. Even most of the development budget is focused on things that are valuable for advertising. Publishers have zero interest in making good games, because consumers don't want them. They want hype, so that's what they get. Making good games is not particularly expensive. The expensive parts of game development are promotion and the incredibly expensive but utterly meaningless massive amounts of money that get spent on quantity over quality art.

Margins are absolutely huge on games that sell well, especially if they can rip people off with DLC and microtransactions. FO76 will probably cover its development budget but lose money because it can't carry the advertising budget. They were trying to pull another GTA Online, sacrifice single player for a lovely microtransaction fest that makes a billion dollars a year on a shoestring budget.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Does Bethesda want this game to fail? Is this some kind of Brewster's Millions bet that landed into Todd's lap? "Make the biggest commercial failure of a game" for several hundred billion or just make sure they never have to make fallout Multiplayer ever again?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Does Bethesda want this game to fail? Is this some kind of Brewster's Millions bet that landed into Todd's lap? "Make the biggest commercial failure of a game" for several hundred billion or just make sure they never have to make fallout Multiplayer ever again?

Zenimax has tried to make a successful mp game for years, going back to Brink. They want a successful games as a service product. I don't get the sense Todd Howard wanted to make this game- Bethesda Austin employees said he'd show up once or twice a quarter to look at their work and little else.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So there's still the possibility that Todd doesn't want this and is just letting it fail so Zenimax lets him make another Fallout 3/Skyrim?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Crabtree posted:

They're cashing in on a trend using their most exploitable and expendable IP. By January there will be loot crates to milk the most delusional whales.

That's all this is.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The beta ends when it's f2p

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Powershift posted:

They're cashing in on a trend using their most exploitable and expendable IP. By January there will be loot crates to milk the most delusional whales.

That's all this is.

I have zero doubt the perk packs were originally going to be monetized. And maybe will be in future, who knows

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Powershift posted:

That's all this is.

I just wanna be hopeful of the possibility that this is also Microsoft style corporate self sabotage. This are people that took at look at Fallout 76 and said ship it, so we aren't dealing with rational actors.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

There's this weird thing where people don't seem to get that many corporations are dysfunctional and the game industry is a shitshow of wannabe businessmen and people that couldn't cut it in more lucrative fields. It's sort of the old joke about how a vet is a failed doctor, very rude etc, however you can think of any exec in games as 100% failed because if things had worked out as hoped they wouldn't be an exec in the videogame industry.

So more like for Zenimax today with their shitass management and spread out studios and ever bloating org structure, this is the state of what they are capable of making. As in from Zenimax exec's mouth -> dev's desk -> wait a few years -> customer hands this is what you can expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Crabtree posted:

I just wanna be hopeful

lol

e: just noticed the payday 2 avatar, i am so sorry you have to go through this again.