Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That was probably the best christmas episode of any show I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

kefkafloyd posted:

Really dug everything in the Christmas episode. Some good callbacks and references. Russi Taylor as young Donald is excellent casting.

Yeah, this was inspired.

Pakled posted:

I didn't know how much I needed young Donald and Della.

Spinoff?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cant cook creole bream posted:

That was probably the best christmas episode of any show I've seen.

Honestly yeah. Usually Christmas episodes are silly fluff, even in shows with significant continuity, but here they managed to do some stuff that surprised us and tied it in to the myth arc. It actually makes sense for a show with such a strong theme of family to make its Christmas episode actually important.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pakled posted:

Honestly yeah. Usually Christmas episodes are silly fluff, even in shows with significant continuity, but here they managed to do some stuff that surprised us and tied it in to the myth arc. It actually makes sense for a show with such a strong theme of family to make its Christmas episode actually important.

Plus they continued to set up another possible Christmas special since we still don't know Scrooge's beef with Santa Claus.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Episode delivered! Beakley hooking up with Not The Grim Reaper was hysterical, "What would you have done if it wasn't?" was one of the most incredible gags I've ever seen, and I got my wish for more Duckworth. The actual plot threads were sweet and the ending sing-a-long was so stupid it went out the other side and became good. This show is so good. I don't think I've had this much fun with an animated series since Gravity Falls.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Plus they continued to set up another possible Christmas special since we still don't know Scrooge's beef with Santa Claus.

I almost want them to just drag this joke out for as many seasons as possible before explaining anything.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

mushroom_spore posted:

I almost want them to just drag this joke out for as many seasons as possible before explaining anything.

I mean the obvious reason is Santa gives presents for free, and Scrooge has the exact opposite of that mentality.

:capitalism:

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

OB_Juan posted:

WHEN'D HE GO?

:eyepop:

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Literally Kermit posted:

I mean the obvious reason is Santa gives presents for free, and Scrooge has the exact opposite of that mentality.

:capitalism:

i really want it to involve actual reindeer rustling

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

OB_Juan posted:

WHEN'D HE GO?

oh my loving god

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
also, did scrooge actually use the pogo jump to defeat the wendigo?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

mushroom_spore posted:

Episode delivered! Beakley hooking up with Not The Grim Reaper was hysterical, "What would you have done if it wasn't?" was one of the most incredible gags I've ever seen, and I got my wish for more Duckworth. The actual plot threads were sweet and the ending sing-a-long was so stupid it went out the other side and became good. This show is so good. I don't think I've had this much fun with an animated series since Gravity Falls.

A secret agent, flirting with death? who would have thought?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I loved Blackheart showing up.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ages posted:

Holy crap you’re right

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ages posted:

i really want it to involve actual reindeer rustling

I bet Scrooge at one point was Santa and the current guy stole it out form under him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I loved Blackheart showing up.

Not just Blackheart, but the Beagle Boys all in their ‘87 designs. That was a brilliant touch.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

kefkafloyd posted:

Some good callbacks and references. Russi Taylor as young Donald is excellent casting.

That was inspired, even if for me it was more a "that voice sounds familiar" thing when I was watching the episode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

nine-gear crow posted:

Not just Blackheart, but the Beagle Boys all in their ‘87 designs. That was a brilliant touch.

To be exact those were the secondary Beagle Boys from the original Ducktales. Bankjob, Babyface and Bungle were used sometimes instead of the regulars Bigtime, Burger and Bouncer. (Though they sometimes mixed the teams up. The first Magica episode had Babyface take Bouncer spot for example. )

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

howe_sam posted:

That was inspired, even if for me it was more a "that voice sounds familiar" thing when I was watching the episode.

I recognized it right away. I was like "Thats the original voice for the nephews."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So Donald's always had a musical bent, neat.

Amusing that not only does Ebenezer Scrooge exist in the setting as a historical figure, but the Ghosts of Christmas are regulars at the job.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So Donald's always had a musical bent, neat.

The Band Concert comes to mind.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
duck versions of weezer and nirvana are now canon

x

Ages fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 2, 2018

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Ages posted:

x
Is that other poster a Flock of Seagulls?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ages posted:

x

Between Ducktales and Bojack Horseman this has been a good year for animal versions of bands.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

Is that other poster a Flock of Seagulls?

It's The Ramones' End of the Century.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Aww, it looks like we'd have seen more posters but for Donald being Donald. Love that little hammer and multiple nails detail.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

tribbledirigible posted:

Aww, it looks like we'd have seen more posters but for Donald being Donald. Love that little hammer and multiple nails detail.

:allears: I love these little details.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
That was a great holiday episode, my favorite reference was the end credits being a homage to the intro to Mickey’s Christmas Carol.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I liked the 'perfectly square stone', investment opportunity in the Andes.
aka:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
That Sinatra cover was absolutely amazing, where has that been all this time???

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Yes it is. I have shamed myself looking for bird puns.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Gann Jerrod posted:

That was a great holiday episode, my favorite reference was the end credits being a homage to the intro to Mickey’s Christmas Carol.

Drawn by the same artist, no less!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Not gonna like, Dewey going back in time just to spend Christmas with his mother made me tear up quite a bit.

loving love this show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Grumpy 90s teenager Donald was something I never knew the world needed.

(also, assuming the show is roughly contemporary, this would probably put Donald's age in his 30s, which about makes sense)

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Two thoughts:
Are the triplets all named after Bluey?
Is Dewy the blue one because Donald recognized him as a baby?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You stupid cartoon, I'm not crying, you're crying. Shut up!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like the part where Goldie did the "love interest climbs down the staircase" bit...and then proceeded to steal Scrooge's stuff right in plain sight.

SubNat posted:

I liked the 'perfectly square stone', investment opportunity in the Andes.

Don't forget the mention of the annual screening of "Christmas on Bear Mountain".

Ages posted:

Oh my god, he did. This show, I swear. :allears:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Great episode, Russi Taylor as young Donald (using the same voice and even a few of the catchphrases she did for the triplets in the original show no less) was a nice touch. I could have sworn young Della was played by a different actress as well as she sounded really famillar to me for some reason but I guess not.

This show is basically Gravity Falls with ducks and I love it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Della was played by Paget Brewster for old and young. She just channeled some of the manic energy of Birdgirl from Harvey Birdman for the younger version.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 3, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This show keeps reminding me of The Thrilling Adventure Hour. The casting and the sensibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OB_Juan posted:

Two thoughts:
Are the triplets all named after Bluey?
Is Dewy the blue one because Donald recognized him as a baby?

Given how genre aware they seem to be about time travel, there's a good chance that they probably tried to consciously avoid it but ended up doing it anyways.