Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's literally this: "It's possible we live in the Matrix, therefore the Matrix wants us to be working on creating the Matrix in our virtual reality, and will punish us if we do not work on creating the Matrix" If you see obvious holes in the logic, you are smarter than the richest people on earth, and should start hoarding guns to aid a violent revolution against the idiocracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

FAUXTON posted:

I keep seeing the term "Roko's Basilisk" and I just assume it's some dumb poo poo made up by bitcoiners to justify their hosed up beliefs about social and economic interactions, but I've never tried googling it lest I end up bumping into some shithole site that installs a miner on my computer.

its a stupid ai thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FAUXTON posted:

I keep seeing the term "Roko's Basilisk" and I just assume it's some dumb poo poo made up by bitcoiners to justify their hosed up beliefs about social and economic interactions, but I've never tried googling it lest I end up bumping into some shithole site that installs a miner on my computer.

imagine an even stupider variant of pascal's wager but instead of god it's an ai that tortures you for all eternity for not believing in it

imagine being the sort of dipshit dork enlightenment reddit atheist that takes this kind of credulous bullshit seriously

imagine, if you will, elon musk

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The AI that wants to punish us for our sins exists, but it's exclusively in charge of Bitcoin.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Muscle Wizard posted:

its a stupid ai thing

if you want to read way too much about this bullshit that turns into an intellectual justification for the "rational" part of the American fascism movement, read the book "neoreaction a basilisk"

review of it that might be adequate lol: https://social-epistemology.com/2016/09/23/the-violence-of-pure-reason-neoreaction-a-basilisk-adam-riggio/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thanks everyone it sounds like my assumption was pretty close to correct, what with it being dreamt up by technocultist neofascists aka bitcoiners (or bitcoiners who haven't realized they're bitcoiners yet)

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

steinrokkan posted:

The AI that wants to punish us for our sins exists, but it's exclusively in charge of Bitcoin.

That's also WHY it wants to punish us

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Rockos Basilisk is so dumb it's astounding.

Like a simple version would have been "If baby Skynet is out there somewhere then you might get rewarded for helping it come to power or be punished with the rest of humanity if you miss the chance"

But no. Instead we got an AI who in the future will make perfect digital simulations of you which it will then torture for all eternity to punish you. And this will affect you somehow because the simulations are so perfect that they channel into your afterlife soul or some crap.

The religious and spiritual undertones should make any self respecting well ackchyually nerd atheist recoil in horror. And you know that's the main demographic for this kind of bullshit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
again, it's literally pascal's wager, but we replaced "god" with "an ai that will make a simulation of you so perfect it's functionally you, and it will torture this simulation forever because you didn't believe"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It was so disturbing that it got the guy banned off lesswrong

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

iospace posted:

It was so disturbing that it got the guy banned off lesswrong

lol

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

infernal machines posted:

again, it's literally pascal's wager, but we replaced "god" with "an ai that will make a simulation of you so perfect it's functionally you, and it will torture this simulation forever because you didn't believe"

also you have to donate all your time and money to help develop the “good” ai god before a “bad” ai god is created. the “good” ai god, being a perfect moral superintelligence, will then know who did and didn’t help create it and punish everyone who knew they could help but chose not to

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

steinrokkan posted:

It's literally this: "It's possible we live in the Matrix, therefore the Matrix wants us to be working on creating the Matrix in our virtual reality, and will punish us if we do not work on creating the Matrix" If you see obvious holes in the logic, you are smarter than the richest people on earth, and should start hoarding guns to aid a violent revolution against the idiocracy.

lol that is about the dumbest bullshit i've ever heard

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yup. It got posted there originally and everyone had a massive meltdown over it.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko%27s_basilisk

E: holy poo poo:

quote:

Musician Grimes'Wikipedia's W.svg video "Flesh Without Blood" includes a character called "Roccoco Basilisk", based explicitly on Roko's basilisk, who is "doomed to be eternally tortured by an artificial intelligence, but she's also kind of like Marie Antoinette."[90]

iospace has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Dec 2, 2018

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

iospace posted:

Yup. It got posted there originally and everyone had a massive meltdown over it.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko%27s_basilisk

E: holy poo poo:

yeah I'm aware, I read a whole drat book about how that poo poo ties into american nazis

but lol forever at the idea of internet nerds rationalizing themselves into a religion of heaven and hell

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah I'm aware, I read a whole drat book about how that poo poo ties into american nazis

but lol forever at the idea of internet nerds rationalizing themselves into a religion of heaven and hell

Summarize for the class please

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

iospace posted:

Summarize for the class please

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you want to read way too much about this bullshit that turns into an intellectual justification for the "rational" part of the American fascism movement, read the book "neoreaction a basilisk"

review of it that might be adequate lol: https://social-epistemology.com/2016/09/23/the-violence-of-pure-reason-neoreaction-a-basilisk-adam-riggio/

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

It's even stupider, honestly.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
rokos basilisk is funny and has a cool name but its also extremely dumb

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

so basically the neo nazis replaced christian occult symbolism with silicon valley occult symbolism

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
are they still on about it!?

it feels like years ago when I first heard of it and read the original post and it was stupid as gently caress and funny as hell that some mod of the forum or blog or whatever it was posted on went literally crazy and banned all discussion of it because "...it...it will take this as a sign of unbelief!"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martout posted:

it feels like years ago when I first heard of it and read the original post and it was stupid as gently caress and funny as hell that some mod of the forum or blog or whatever it was posted on went literally crazy and banned all discussion of it because "...it...it will take this as a sign of unbelief!"

I’m pretty sure that was Yud himself that declared that there could be no discussion of it. Since talking about would mean it was true or some such poo poo?

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Martout posted:

i think he banned discussion of it because people were literally having panic attacks about it. the people who're really into this kinda crap are kinda fragile in the mind.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Spoiler: Roko's Basilisk then turned out to be Barbra Streisand.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mods please this thread has turned extremely memehazardous!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Tesla driver was pulled over by cops after allegedly sleeping drunk on Autopilot for 7 miles

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

science ftw

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Does anyone know where that "I went to a libertarian house party and it was very much the bad kind of weird" article was?

Like the author described someone who was sitting in a hallway saying "I am a god, a perfect logical machine" and someone running around demanding someone prove to him his syringe full of mystery juice wouldn't work.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That was Porcfest, and I want to say the article was in Vice, but I'm not 100% on that

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Muscle Wizard posted:

i think he banned discussion of it because people were literally having panic attacks about it. the people who're really into this kinda crap are kinda fragile in the mind.

it wasn't just that they were having panic attacks over it, they were having panic attacks at the idea of someone accidentally finding out about it and dooming themselves.

because a key feature of the idea is that your techno-soul only gets tortured forever if you know about the AI. that's the basilisk part - if it looks at you (looking at it) you are turned to stone or whatever.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FAUXTON posted:

Does anyone know where that "I went to a libertarian house party and it was very much the bad kind of weird" article was?

Like the author described someone who was sitting in a hallway saying "I am a god, a perfect logical machine" and someone running around demanding someone prove to him his syringe full of mystery juice wouldn't work.

Embrace the madness

quote:

It certainly is the place for Pete Eyre, a jacked guy with an enormous beard, standing off to the side of the fire. At one point he wanted to be a cop, interning at the St. Paul, Minn., police department, enforcing many of the rules people have come here to disregard. He found the system too reactionary, he says, and now helps run an organization that films police misconduct. He shows off one of his many tattoos in the flickering light of the fire. It’s an anarchist symbol tattoo covering an old American flag tat he got in his past life. “It’s my journey,” he says.

Then someone taps him on the shoulder. There’s a kid having a bad trip in the bathroom, and in this hectic, anti-hierarchical festival, Eyre is the closest thing to an authority figure around.

“I am God,” a longhaired 20-something repeats to the people babysitting him in a bathroom hallway. “I am a perfect logical machine.”

Two girls huffing nitrous oxide from a balloon and a guy holding a needle come by. The guy with the needle says he has a chemical mixture that if injected will lessen the effects of hallucinogens. “I have the solution right in my hands,” he says. Eyre decides it’s a bad idea to inject the longhaired guy with a mystery drug — even if it could work in theory — and says he won’t allow it to happen.

“Can anyone refute that it will work?” the guy with the needle asks.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That may be tied with capitalism for absolute stupidest possible thing in any universe ever.

Basilisk AI; houseparty is like a distant third.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Thanks everyone it sounds like my assumption was pretty close to correct, what with it being dreamt up by technocultist neofascists aka bitcoiners (or bitcoiners who haven't realized they're bitcoiners yet)

Don’t google it.
Yudkowsky and his posse of pseudointelectual idiot children are an almost literal brain cancer.

Think ancaps, but techbro.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
On a brighter note...

Spent the last 4 days in Georgia (as a native denizen of a slav shithole) and seen a grand total of:
0 Teslas
0 Superchargers

Seen 2 non-Tesla EVs (both Bolts, yay CCS), dozens of hybrids and about 95894589423 F-150s.
And one F-250.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

They are putting superchargers in some locations around North Dakota which I find hilarious. I think I've seen like 3 Teslas there

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

Puns are everywhere. One popular T-shirt: “Kill the Precedent.” One popular ice cream flavor: Open-Carry Cherry. (Or, playing on the big in-joke here, that without government nothing can get done: “Who Will Build the Rocky Roads?”). A tractor rumbles by, spilling brown sludge out of a bucket.

“It’s okay, it’s Agora Valley, it should be covered in sewage,” says an onlooker eating breakfast across from an outdoor tattooing station. “It’s unregulated and we have no infrastructure.”

It had been raining, so the sludge mixed well into the muddy path; the smell blended with the heady fumes of armpits, pot, and brewing beer.

Charming.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

I live in Seattle and every time I’m in a car for more than 10 minutes I’m bound to see at least one Tesla. My neighbor across an alley has one charging outside my bedroom window at all times with the vanity plate “MEGAWAT”.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, someone wrote I Have No Mouth Yet I Must Scream fanfic

But with Twitter integration

And then turned it into a religion?

Internet really does make you stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Rorobb posted:

I live in Seattle and every time I’m in a car for more than 10 minutes I’m bound to see at least one Tesla. My neighbor across an alley has one charging outside my bedroom window at all times with the vanity plate “MEGAWAT”.

You know you need to add a 'T' to that for him.