Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pylons posted:

Did you buy a ship with solid cargo, instead of container cargo?

Discoverer will do the job. I eventually landed on the refined goods station, got the discoverer to land, ran to the landing pad, boarded it, bought the cells, deboarded, ran back to my Elite, then formed it up with me. Dropped it out of my squad when i got to the point.

After this, i found out that ‘shift’ does a bounded window select on the map screen, then right clicking one of the two ships brings up the ‘trade wares’ transfer screens. I did play with it for a bit, but i suspect that both ships need software and/or something else to make it work properly.

I’m sitting on over a million credits from pootling around; the Elite is quick and can get out of trouble, and the upgrades are fairly cheap - hit up an equipment dock. Docking computer mk II is worth the money because you just drive at the pad. Gonna take a drive around the various equipment docks tonight before i start really tanking rep.

Gonna say that it’s a lot easier to make money in this than AP, there it was mostly a brisk trade in previously owned M6s. Rebirth is *still* jankier than this one, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

FrickenMoron posted:

This medkit money well seems borderline exploitative, its quicker than any job tbh.

if only i knew how to find the crafting menu

edit: found a crafting bench in a station. i don't know if i'll be able to find one in a different station :shrug:

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 2, 2018

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

I'm 13 hours in and really enjoying it. It feels like Freelancer, but with more stuff to do. I lucked out when I joined some ships that were attacking a hostile target, the pilot ejected and I got a hold of a larger ship with a whole bunch of expensive stuff in it.
I have only captured one more ship after that, some tiny Xenon ship out in the middle of nowhere. It helps if it's one on one, otherwise other NPCs just keep shooting and blowing them up.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Radio Free Kobold posted:

if only i knew how to find the crafting menu

edit: found a crafting bench in a station. i don't know if i'll be able to find one in a different station :shrug:

Same place in every station that has a trader. Head for the shopping trolley, and it’s to the right of the trader.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How do I level up my crew. A miner ship of mine became rank 3 but this guy I hired at the start of the game to shuttle me around is still a 0 star pilot.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Also, the heck is this screenshot? Is this supposed to be the Foundation version of the Kh'aak? Because it really looks like something they'd build if they got ported over to the new series.

Apparently some people on Steam are finding all sorts of crazy stuff outside of the sector map. This includes alien looking stations and wreckage that has no analogue with known ships in the series. There also what appear to be asteroid fields that look like they suddenly got some sort of booger colored cancer out there that one guy posted a screenshot about. It was so messed up that he had to ask if his graphics card was frying at first.

Edit: drat, this post got mauled. Fixed it up. Regardless, apparently out of sector space is some spooky poo poo.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 2, 2018

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Pylons posted:

If crystal mining isn't exploitative, I definitely can't see how medkit money is.

The crystal mining at least requires some work, the medikit fabrication is just going from station to station.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mokotow posted:

After a day or so I guess I can attempt a small trip report, prefacing with the answer to the standard "should I buy it?" question.

- If you've been around the block with X and have enjoyed your time with the series before, despite the problems (ignoring Rebirth), this is a no brainer and just go ahead and buy buy buy.
- If you've played X before, but found it frustrating and the jank pissed you off, stay away for a few months - there's some time to go here before we get to TC/AP level of polish.
- If you've never played the X series before, but want something fun and easy to get in and do pew pew, don't get it now - you're going to burn out on the jank and the incomprehensible universe and systems you're given.
- If you've never played the X series before, but you're fine with learning a million systems and exploring an in-game universe that'll potentially keep you busy for a few hundred hours, wait a few weeks.

Even though I've played all the X games, I found the first few hours fantastically straining. Since I only briefly played the previous entry, I struggled in recognizing with what is what, as there's no denying that Reunion was a strong base with TC and AB stuff added on top of it. It's certainly a confusing mess at times, but holy poo poo, does it have potential for the next few years to keep us busy. The interface in particular seems like a prototype more than anything else - the functionality hidden within gives a lot of ability to control anything from small to large empires, but the current visuals obfuscate everything to a degree that I fear most people will bounce off.

After a dozen hours of playing, I'm still looking for a plot, other than the Player HQ, and with the Encyclopeadia empty on most topics, there's a lot of information missing and thus getting into the universe is a bit challenging. Still, the new world, highways, sectors and races have a degree of familiarity that make finding your way around much easier. I pity anyone coming in hot, though. The world is pretty great, though, and even the station walking kinda makes sense and works, although I do hope future stations will become more unique and perhaps vary in sizes, layouts and character. Stylistically, it's no Mass Effect or E:D, but it also has enough elements from both worlds that it stands on its own. The ship design in particular stands out.

Gameplay-wise, the amount of stuff taken from E:D is marvelous, from the docking, to some of the combat dynamics and interface, and there's no shame in that. Too bad Frontier Developments wouldn't do it the other way around. Conversely, the systems in X4 feel small, but perhaps this is something Egosoft finally stopped obfuscating - if you look into system descriptions, they actually list low populations (in the few thousands range) and I suspect they might be actual numbers derrived from station and ship crews.

I tried on a keyboard and mouse, HOTAS and gamepad setups and found the HOTAS + keyboard and mouse at hand the best, though the mouse+keyboard option is the most accessible and works out of the box for anyone. The gamepad option, while great on paper, seems to be not fully there, as assigning button combinations, at least on Xbox One controller, didn't work, which left me with too few buttons to competently get around.

Performance-wise, with an i7 6700k and GTX 980, I've had no problems so far and in this regard, at least for me, this is the most stable X release in ages, from the technical standpoint.

thanks for this btw pretty much sealed my "gonna wait a bit and then jump in" perspective

I was fascinated by X3 but the interface was just so arcane and sorta... foreign/hostile that I never got deep in.

here's hoping the modders and native stuff cleans up a bunch of poo poo in the new year, i've always wanted to love this genre

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leal posted:

How do I level up my crew. A miner ship of mine became rank 3 but this guy I hired at the start of the game to shuttle me around is still a 0 star pilot.

You wait. This is apparently the only way at present, but supposedly you can randomly find skilled people on other capital ships but you won't know until you hire them. Yes this is utterly stupid.

Archonex posted:

Also, the heck is thisscreenshot? Is this supposed to be the Foundation version of the Kh'aak? Because it really looks like something they'd build.

Uhhh I have found a khaak station and it does not look like that. I have no idea what that is.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
So i found a workaround for the game freezing in station offices and during eva (i didnt have this part od the bug but ive seen it mentioned). Killing the sound in the menu before you do either of these things fixes it. Kinda sucks but whatever it works. They mentioned updating devices and killing any effects and unused devices, that didnt work for me but it has for some i guess.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

OwlFancier posted:

Uhhh I have found a khaak station and it does not look like that. I have no idea what that is.

Well, that's comforting. Guess i'll put exploring out of sector off until I get a swole space fleet then. :stare:

Do their fighters still have weaponry that's just about hitscan in terms of accuracy?

As for what I posted, it sort of looks like a bunch of tentacles got tangled up around something and then calcified. :cthulhu:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 2, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, by some dumb luck it appears that I stumbled upon two of the three components needed to build a SETA drive. Now all I need is a Flux Capacitor. Any idea where I could reliably find one of those?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm not gonna lie, I made the same mistake you did the first time I saw the red zone - then I saw the purple and blue zones, and began waiting for a green zone, at which point I'd know that X4 is actually just a reskin of Dune.
Unfortunately there appears to be no Ordos. My entire economy does revolve around spice production, though.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How rare are bars? I still have yet to see one and I'm checking every station I land on.

Griz
May 21, 2001

big nipples big life posted:

How rare are bars? I still have yet to see one and I'm checking every station I land on.

you need to scan stations until you find the mission to unlock the black market vendor. after you do that, bar becomes available in the station teleporters.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Perestroika posted:

So, by some dumb luck it appears that I stumbled upon two of the three components needed to build a SETA drive. Now all I need is a Flux Capacitor. Any idea where I could reliably find one of those?

Aw man, that's the one I need! I don't really remember where I got the other two. Dropped from NPCs probably?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Griz posted:

you need to scan stations until you find the mission to unlock the black market vendor. after you do that, bar becomes available in the station teleporters.
Not quite. I have had 3 of those missions and for one of them I have the materials, went to the station it asked me to drop them off at, but that station doesn't have any bars in the teleporter. I think there's something else missing here and the best reddit has is that "there's a bug where bars don't show up" but another person suggests you have to scan the bar module of a station to get it to show up in the teleporter? I'm checking that poo poo now. Also, gently caress you Google Chrome, "teleporter" so is a word.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Khaak have those!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Archonex posted:

Well, that's comforting. Guess i'll put exploring out of sector off until I get a swole space fleet then. :stare:

Do their fighters still have weaponry that's just about hitscan in terms of accuracy?

As for what I posted, it sort of looks like a bunch of tentacles got tangled up around something and then calcified. :cthulhu:

Looks like protomolecule tbh.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Griz posted:

Do you know what the name of that mission is? It's not the sabotage turrets one is it?

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Scanning stations by scraping them with your paintjob is kinda tedious (yes, I know you don't have to collide with them). Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves?
I have a couple of modules that aren't highlighted in any color and I can't seem to scan them regardless of how close I get to them / circling them.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Final report on station PJ whatever.

I told my scout buddy to fly into the center mission area on the map, nothing happens. Okay maybe I have to nudge myself a bit for it to trigger. I do that, the little speech happens and my ship blows up.

Okay one more time. This time I will Eva out of my starter ship, goto the scout with the anti matter fly the loving thing over and than eva back to my ship.

I do this and game over happens.

What. I try it again and this time while I'm flying back to my Vanguard ship, it loving blows up and the scout remains, despite it being faaaaar closer to the station, despite having the loving anti-matter on board. my starter is the one that blew up.

gently caress it, at least I have a ship and a broken station now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I don't know about the rest of you but the bane of my existence so far in this game (other than constantly having questions about how to do certain things and finish certain missions) is having the autopilot fly me into an asteroid. Key emphasis on the word into, as it places me inside asteroid geometry and I have to shoot the thing down to 0 health to get out.

Edit: Oh hey, if you have a crew member pilot the ship while it's stuck in an asteroid, the game seems to just say "gently caress it" and lets the AI ship through the collision! Whew!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 2, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Not that it's terribly hard to find stations with the scanner, but you can kind of cheese finding them by just selecting the plot planner in the map. Stations, gates, etc will all be already reserved space.

What are you guys using for universe traders. I got a couple Teladi M traders, but they just kind of waffle about and keep going into wait mode.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

DaveKap posted:

Edit: Oh hey, if you have a crew member pilot the ship while it's stuck in an asteroid, the game seems to just say "gently caress it" and lets the AI ship through the collision! Whew!
I noticed that when I bought another ship for the player HQ mission. It was just flying straight through the asteroids on the way to the destination.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Slickdrac posted:

What are you guys using for universe traders. I got a couple Teladi M traders, but they just kind of waffle about and keep going into wait mode.

Seems like universe traders are broken tbh, I've got two traders set up, however both of them only trade within one sector only.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

DaveKap posted:

I don't know about the rest of you but the bane of my existence so far in this game (other than constantly having questions about how to do certain things and finish certain missions) is having the autopilot fly me into an asteroid. Key emphasis on the word into, as it places me inside asteroid geometry and I have to shoot the thing down to 0 health to get out.

This applies for crew members' pathing AI getting weird around stations as well. They slowly smoosh your ship through the stations, it's kind of funny.

Anyway, the game presents a solid framework for a genuine sequel to X3, but it'll need a lot of development to bring it to that point I feel.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mongolian Queef posted:

Scanning stations by scraping them with your paintjob is kinda tedious (yes, I know you don't have to collide with them). Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves?
I have a couple of modules that aren't highlighted in any color and I can't seem to scan them regardless of how close I get to them / circling them.

Rebirth used to have specific hotspots you had to get near, so i’m wondering if there are similar nodal points or the occasional hosed normal.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Slickdrac posted:

Not that it's terribly hard to find stations with the scanner, but you can kind of cheese finding them by just selecting the plot planner in the map. Stations, gates, etc will all be already reserved space.

Are you using auto trade with a 1 or 2 start pilot? It will let you set it up but autotrade has 3 stars, and as such the pilot wont do anything until they have rank 3 piloting. You can't set it from the default orders menu, but you sure can setup an autotrade from right click! I also have a bugged ship that claims it's trading it shows as both in space (it's not) and docked (it is). The pilot "cannot be reassigned right now" if I tell him to leave and I can't cancel orders.

Like most egosoft games I came into this fully expecting game breaking bugs to force me to restart after a few patches to have a not horribly bugged save file. It's like buying a Bethesda game at launch, you know you are signing up for a buggy fun mess that will turn into game of the year in 2 years.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Not quite. I have had 3 of those missions and for one of them I have the materials, went to the station it asked me to drop them off at, but that station doesn't have any bars in the teleporter. I think there's something else missing here and the best reddit has is that "there's a bug where bars don't show up" but another person suggests you have to scan the bar module of a station to get it to show up in the teleporter? I'm checking that poo poo now. Also, gently caress you Google Chrome, "teleporter" so is a word.
Well this didn't work. The mission took me to a defense platform I had already super-scanned to 88% (aka, scan once while in ship then again while in spacesuit) and aside from the fact I have no idea how to get that last 12%, it definitely didn't have any "bar" to teleport to. I've had my rep docked so much for holding onto these unstable crystals, I almost want to space them until this dumb "where the gently caress are the bars?!" question gets properly answered.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Timespy posted:

Seems like universe traders are broken tbh, I've got two traders set up, however both of them only trade within one sector only.

Turn energy cells off on the buy list.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So are there actually any better softwares to get? Other then mk2. Also how do turrets work on ships you buy?

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Anyone know how to deliver the marines for acquire marines missions? Ive got them in my ship and Im docked at the station.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Hav posted:

Point two is how you claim ships. Jump into space, head to the other ship, look for the flashing ball, head to it, it decrypts and transfers the ship to you.

It's also how you claim ships. On stations, scanning them down gives you a discount or a station module blueprint. :eng101:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Nothing brings me pure joy like watching an NPC in a run animation sped up by 5x while going the opposite direction on a people mover treadmill.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
While docked, jump on top of your ship (may need to use the C button to do crouch jumps). Once your on top of your ship, assign order to your captain and enjoy flying around space with no space suit on (press F2 to get a good look at yourself).

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I've got my base around the big asteroid, built a dock... how do I do anything else with it? Apparently you use it to research teleportation or something but I have no clue where to even look

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chalks posted:

I've got my base around the big asteroid, built a dock... how do I do anything else with it? Apparently you use it to research teleportation or something but I have no clue where to even look

Did you go to the lab through the transport system? If so there's a new tab on your top bar.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
I appear to have a stowaway, but he's clearly doing it very wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Just a side note: there's no fall damage in this game so you can easily jump from ledges rather than taking elevators and such.