Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Smash sins have been committed in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Ok, finished getting my seasonal six-piece set for my crusader in Diablo 3.

:looks at the other Switch games to play in my backlog:

:looks at the calendar:

Hmm, season doesn't end for another two weeks, I could probably do it for another character....

Oh god, this is how it starts, doesn't it? :ohdear:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the cool thing about smash bros is the many ways you can enjoy it, and they're all valid

except if you enjoy playing as sonic, that's just wrong

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

Smash is definitely not a fighting game. I don’t particularly like Smash but it’s fans have to contort it into some insane knots to get it to sort of look like one.

Turn off items and play on a stage that doesn’t have hazards, both of which are options that are baked into the game . Wow that was easy.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Augus posted:

Turn off items and play on a stage that doesn’t have hazards, both of which are options that are baked into the game . Wow that was easy.

Turn off the fun, gotcha

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Heath posted:

My grandmother can pick up Wii Sports Boxing and basically understand what's happening. That's absolutely not true of Street Fighter.

This isn't what makes a fighting game. Does the game have 2 players damaging each other with some form of finality when a limit is reached? Even basic smash follows this because at a certain percentage a single strike will ko. We'd be tossing out all kinds of games if items and the environment were what decided the game genre. Is mortal Kombat not a fighting game?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bruteman posted:

Ok, finished getting my seasonal six-piece set for my crusader in Diablo 3.

:looks at the other Switch games to play in my backlog:

:looks at the calendar:

Hmm, season doesn't end for another two weeks, I could probably do it for another character....

Oh god, this is how it starts, doesn't it? :ohdear:

Same, except the battle pass in Fortnite. I have a huge backlog and just wind up playing Fortnite.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Augus posted:

I never said anything about it being hard but yes removing the features that make it what it is is a big deal.

Also most tournaments make it 1 v 1.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Like I’m pretty far from being a tournament-level pro gamer but I’ve played Smash like a fighting game since I was 5. The fact that it has a much lower skill floor and has a variety of different ways to play just make it better than other fighting games.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I never said anything about it being hard but yes removing the features that make it what it is is a big deal.

Also most tournaments make it 1 v 1.

or 2 v 2

And the game lets you “remove features” for a reason.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sakurai himself says Smash is not a fighting game but I call it that anyways since it’s easier than saying competitive platform action party game.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Heath posted:

My grandmother can pick up Wii Sports Boxing and basically understand what's happening. That's absolutely not true of Street Fighter.

I wouldn't invite your grandmother to a party though, so I don't think that's a good argument.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CharlestheHammer posted:

Smash is definitely not a fighting game. I don’t particularly like Smash but it’s fans have to contort it into some insane knots to get it to sort of look like one.

Push button hit dude

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

bushisms.txt posted:

This isn't what makes a fighting game. Does the game have 2 players damaging each other with some form of finality when a limit is reached? Even basic smash follows this because at a certain percentage a single strike will ko. We'd be tossing out all kinds of games if items and the environment were what decided the game genre. Is mortal Kombat not a fighting game?

By that logic, Puzzle Fighter is a fighting game. Like, it kind of is, but it's really a puzzle game abstracted into a fighting game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fighting games are like anime; goons twist themselves into knots trying to explain why the ones they like aren't actually a fighting game/an anime

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Push button hit dude

smash that like and subscribe button

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Heath posted:

By that logic, Puzzle Fighter is a fighting game. Like, it kind of is, but it's really a puzzle game abstracted into a fighting game.

catherine is a fighting game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Smash is a fighting game. It may out of the box not be tuned for pure competitive play but it has the features to do that. It may make it a worse or a better game, but at the heart its a fighter with simple inputs* and a unique approach to health that dyanmically changes footsies and spacing as a round progresses.

Its like saying mario kart isnt a racing game.

*Except melee

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Items only “define Smash” if you really really like playing with items on. A lot of people will say that the crossover of Nintendo characters is what defines smash, or the feel of the game is what defines Smash.

It’s really loving weird and hypocritical to be elitist about the fact that you play a game casually

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i don't understand why everyone is going so crazy for smash ultimate, it's just a port of smash 4 remember

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Your Computer posted:

i don't understand why everyone is going so crazy for smash ultimate, it's just a port of smash 4 remember

Because surely this is the time my friends will come over to my house and play with me again like were 14 instead of 40

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Turn off the fun, gotcha

It’s a Nintendo game, the simple act of moving the character and punching someone is fine-tuned by the greatest scientists on the planet to reach the maximum amount of fun physically possible

As long as the game is turned on, the fun is never turned off

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Heath posted:

My grandmother can pick up Wii Sports Boxing ARMS and basically understand what's happening. That's absolutely not true of Street Fighter.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Heath posted:

That's a whole other thing though, where you get into mechanical density and what makes a genre. The only difference between smash and street fighter is "loss" of stamina results in the character going up instead of down. They both use inputs, and smash even has unique sf inputs in it. Smash isn't the only fighter to use items, from the capcom infinity gems to mk's weapons, items can mean all kinds of things.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bottom Liner posted:

Push button hit dude

Yakuza, a fighting game.

Bayonetta, a fighting game

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Smash should be called a platform fighter

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I have no doubt that smash bros is gonna be an amazing piece of software that I will enjoy, but this just confirmed its fans are the worst

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I have no doubt that smash bros is gonna be an amazing piece of software that I will enjoy, but this just confirmed its fans are the worst

I mean it took you this long.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

don’t sign your posts

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there even anything worth mentioning that has managed to mimic Smash's basic formula? Maybe that Sony knockoff?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hey guys have you heard about these pokemans?!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Haven’t had a vacation in almost 2 years, going to take a week to clean the house and play smash as a reward at the end of the week. Would love to play with some goons when it comes out if anyone wants to.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Heath posted:

Is there even anything worth mentioning that has managed to mimic Smash's basic formula? Maybe that Sony knockoff?

Rivals of Aether is pretty decent

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Turn off the fun, gotcha
Never listen to Smash fans. Ever.

EVER.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

There’s a few okay games but nothing really that special.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gamers are indeed horrible but if you’re having a visceral negative reaction to the sentiment “play the game however you want, it’s all valid” you are, in fact, one of those horrible gamers and the fact that the particular hill you’re choosing to die on is “playing the game with items on” is irrelevant to that fact.

stop freaking out that people play the game different from you, you horrible, horrible nerds

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Hey guys have you heard about these pokemans?!

The popular fighting game? Yeah.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Heath posted:

rivals of aether, brawlhalla, slap city

idk if these are any good but they exist and they're probably better designed than the sony one was

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

rivals of aether and slap city are good. I’ve heard bad things about brawlhalla but i haven’t tried it and I might be thinking of something else. brawlout? I don’t know which is what

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yakuza, a fighting game.

Bayonetta, a fighting game

Well yeah, why exactly are you stating the obvious?

What is the point you're trying to make here? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Heath posted:

smash is inspired by the outfoxies

i've heard the genre called "arena fighter" and that makes sense to me