Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

we're all gonna die, do what you want

your breakfast tomorrow might make you piss blood till you die, might as well buy a liter bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LloydDobler posted:

Saw a temporary sign last night (one of those LED text signs) that said "1 out of 4 accidents are caused by phone use". It probably should have also said "2 of the other 3 also were but they lied about it".

I've been in 2 collisions my whole life, the first was the woman who ran a red while looking at her GPS,

I have recently noticed a huge increase in people using their phones as GPSes (I'm guessing) where they put the mount directly in front of them above the steering wheel, right at head height, obscuring their actual vision.

The sheer lethal stupidity of it stagger me.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Powershift posted:

your breakfast tomorrow might make you piss blood till you die, might as well buy a liter bike

And then wheelie down the highway

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

This but unironically

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Powershift posted:

What the hell do you put on your cornflakes?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Door Frame posted:

And then wheelie down the highway

I prefer the endo.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

spog posted:

Motor oil. What else are you supposed to put on cornflakes?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I told a lady running full-on slicks on her ford edge that she needed new tires and she responded "what are you, a salesman" in a real dickish tone.

then i got stuck behind her leaving the parking lot because it was a bit of a climb, so i just backed up and went around her

The snow is littered with bumper chunks and red plastic because people are garbage.

spog posted:

93 octane, i don't seem to run well on 87.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The snow is littered with bumper chunks and red plastic because people are garbage.

I think my favourite winter detritus I found was the entire lower half of a Neon bumper in my front lawn's snowbank when it began to melt about three years ago.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Powershift posted:

I told a lady running full-on slicks on her ford edge that she needed new tires and she responded "what are you, a salesman" in a real dickish tone.

then i got stuck behind her leaving the parking lot because it was a bit of a climb, so i just backed up and went around her

I gave up trying to help others on the road when some mid-20s woman with a lovely attitude told me "whatever, I don't know what that is" when I tried to tell her she was missing half of the lug nuts on her front/passenger wheel at a red light.

Fine you ungrateful bitch, hope nobody stops to help you when that wheel inevitably falls off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just don't wanna get murdered by these fucks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

spog posted:

I tend to piss on them.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I like how crossovers and SUVs that flip in a stiff breeze went from something that all the news outlets were freaking out about to "People are buying a shitton of these things so... Nah."

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I like how crossovers and SUVs that flip in a stiff breeze went from something that all the news outlets were freaking out about to "People are buying a shitton of these things so... Nah."

instead of blaming SUVs everyone blamed firestone tires so they had to rename themselves bridgestone and next news item happened.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powershift posted:

93 octane, i don't seem to run well on 87.

100 Low Lead

Don’t knock it till you try it.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
So there I sat on Pig Hill, waiting on the light to cycle through the 20 other lights at that intersection, when from behind roars some sort of SUV, I didn't really catch. A suburban or something. Maybe has a mismatched grey quarterpanel, but it's mostly navy. It flies to our left, in the oncoming lane down an extremely tight hill the wrong way through a red light at a busy morning intersection onto the on-ramp I was waiting patiently to utilize to go to work. I was pissed. dangerous assholes, we don't like em right. plus secretly i wish I had that kind of freedom you know

But it's times like this I wish I had a dash cam because this was a real life Youtube Instant Karma Gotcha Mother Fucker moment. A cop must've been sitting in the line of cars opposite our light across the bridge; you can see almost that entire hill from that vantage point and they probably saw the whole damnable thing. I saw lights advancing upriver as I made my way to my exit, I'm not sure if they got around everyone fast enough. I'm not the hugest cop fan but I pumped my fist for this officer, I hope they caught that rear end in a top hat. I wonder if he was running from doing a crime, you'd think he would want to draw little attention but who can fathom the criminal mind!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Powershift posted:

I just don't wanna get murdered by these fucks.

:same:

Like I don't care if they kill themselves, just leave out the innocent bystanders

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wargames posted:

instead of blaming SUVs everyone blamed firestone tires so they had to rename themselves bridgestone and next news item happened.

Not to be that guy (I'm going to be that guy), but you're wrong on both points here:

The main cause was the tread separation, not SUVs (though it probably did factor in a bit, no doubt due to the increased weight that most buyers weren't used to). The causes did range from user error (failure to replace tires properly, improper inflation) to manufacturing defects (construction process, overworked tire inspectors). Interesting enough, the tires were almost entirely from one factory... one that was experiencing a labor unrest due to the working conditions.
:thunk:

As for the second part? Bridgestone was an entirely separate company prior to 1988, the year they bought out Firestone. So no, they didn't rename themselves in the wake of the controversy. Firestone still exists, but for all intents and purposes these days, Bridgestone and Firestone are the two sides of the same semi truck.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 4, 2018

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

iospace posted:

...The main cause was the tread separation, not SUVs (though it probably did factor in a bit, no doubt due to the increased weight that most buyers weren't used to). The causes did range from user error (failure to replace tires properly, improper inflation) to manufacturing defects (construction process, overworked tire inspectors). Interesting enough, the tires were almost entirely from one factory... one that was experiencing a labor unrest due to the working conditions.
:thunk:

I mean, you have your opinion, it's partially right. At core the typical SUV/CUV tire has more sidewall, prone to more flex, prone to more tread rollover as soon as force is applied perpendicular to the intended direction of travel. As tire technologies advance, grippier tires are the norm. So, yeah, the Firestone tire thing was in the news and exacerbated the problem, but it's not the root cause. You've got high center-of-gravity vehicles with grippy tires with huge sidewalls and overall under-educated drivers piloting these things.

Even that video above. 01 seconds, what you see is a huge smear of rubber on the pavement from where the rear tire's sidewall has folded over, giving HUGE amounts of grip and causing the wheel to sink lower to the ground, at which point the rim catches and BOUNCE. If it was a sedan with 35 series tires on it it would have just spun out (and then the motorcyclist would have plowed into the broadside car, probably dead).

Alternately, pause the following video at the time marker and go frame-by-frame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM&t=8s

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Prong Song posted:

I mean, you have your opinion, it's partially right. At core the typical SUV/CUV tire has more sidewall, prone to more flex, prone to more tread rollover as soon as force is applied perpendicular to the intended direction of travel. As tire technologies advance, grippier tires are the norm. So, yeah, the Firestone tire thing was in the news and exacerbated the problem, but it's not the root cause. You've got high center-of-gravity vehicles with grippy tires with huge sidewalls and overall under-educated drivers piloting these things.

Even that video above. 01 seconds, what you see is a huge smear of rubber on the pavement from where the rear tire's sidewall has folded over, giving HUGE amounts of grip and causing the wheel to sink lower to the ground, at which point the rim catches and BOUNCE. If it was a sedan with 35 series tires on it it would have just spun out (and then the motorcyclist would have plowed into the broadside car, probably dead).

Alternately, pause the following video at the time marker and go frame-by-frame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM&t=8s

I'm not denying that bad driving habits were part of the problem, but it wasn't the sole problem as wargames implied. Firestone, to their credit, did try showing that bad driving habits were the cause, and I would 100% believe it if it wasn't for the fact that a significant amount of the bad tires did come from one plant in a specific time window. It's not Goodyear G135 or whatever it was level bad though.

Also SUVs as a whole are trash and should be off the road, but alas GM and Ford seem to be dead set on them, and Chrysler already kill most of their cars off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're killing off sedans because no one buys them anymore, companies are only going to produce what sells so if that needs changed it's gonna have to be regulation or a shift in public opinion.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

xzzy posted:

They're killing off sedans because no one buys them anymore, companies are only going to produce what sells so if that needs changed it's gonna have to be regulation or a shift in public opinion.

The problem wasn't sales, iirc, it was profit margins on the sales. They were turning a profit just fine.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
CAFE exceptions for SUV's made them cheaper to produce as well, so uh, blame the regulations in addition to people needing the biggest vehicles they can afford.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yep. Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai will take up the slack for sedan sales.

Interest thing will be is to see where fleet sales fall.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yep. Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai will take up the slack for sedan sales.

Interest thing will be is to see where fleet sales fall.

What fleet sales?

cop cars are all ford exploders now. Rental car companies and taxi companies are getting hosed to death by Uber.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Powershift posted:

What fleet sales?

cop cars are all ford exploders now. Rental car companies and taxi companies are getting hosed to death by Uber.

lol the last time I rented a car the Nissan Versa I reserved had a broken window so Enterprise gave me a Camaro

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 5, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lol the last time I rented a car the Nissan Versa I reserved had a broken window so Enterprise gave me a Camaro SS

My job has me rent intermediate cars from enterprise. I've rented 25/cars year in the last 2-3 years, and I can count on my hand how many times I have actually gotten an intermediate car (I'm in a Hyundai Santa Fe today, which at least has Android auto). They play by far the fastest and loosest with car classes. I also get some free class upgrade coupons for renting so many loving cars and have used precisely 0 of them. I show up at my local place (where I do like half my rentals) and say, "I want to bring my bike" and they're all like "here's this F150 for $33/day (our intermediate rate)."
Also, if you need a pickup, rent an intermediate car from a downtown location with a lot of trucks mid-week, and they'll practically beg you to take an an F150 or Silverado.

Powershift posted:

Rentals still make sense for trips unless you're going somewhere the charges for parking. The Uber/lyft airport tax round trip almost always equals drat near the cheapest rental car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

cop cars are all ford exploders now.
OT
Mounties still run a metric shitload of yukons and suburbans and sherrifs got a smoking deal on chargers.... which are total loving heaps.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Our locals literally stockpiled crown vics and I swear they have a few low mile crown vics just waiting for action.
I've seen a few explorers but they all say SGT or some higher rank on them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nm posted:

My job has me rent intermediate cars from enterprise. I've rented 25/cars year in the last 2-3 years, and I can count on my hand how many times I have actually gotten an intermediate car (I'm in a Hyundai Santa Fe today, which at least has Android auto). They play by far the fastest and loosest with car classes. I also get some free class upgrade coupons for renting so many loving cars and have used precisely 0 of them. I show up at my local place (where I do like half my rentals) and say, "I want to bring my bike" and they're all like "here's this F150 for $33/day (our intermediate rate)."
Also, if you need a pickup, rent an intermediate car from a downtown location with a lot of trucks mid-week, and they'll practically beg you to take an an F150 or Silverado.

Rentals still make sense for trips unless you're going somewhere the charges for parking. The Uber/lyft airport tax round trip almost always equals drat near the cheapest rental car.

It's pretty great, I rented what I thought was gonna be a lovely van to move some stuff from NJ to VT and they gave me a brand-new Dodge van with some absurdly powerful engine. I had to pace myself hardcore, because the engine wanted to go 90+ but the frame couldn't handle over 80 :v:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's pretty great, I rented what I thought was gonna be a lovely van to move some stuff from NJ to VT and they gave me a brand-new Dodge van with some absurdly powerful engine. I had to pace myself hardcore, because the engine wanted to go 90+ but the frame couldn't handle over 80 :v:

I got the bumpup at Enterprise as well- reserved a midsize and got a Challenger SRT- spent the week driving around Ohio being CHALLENGED FOR DOMINANCE AT EVERY STOP LIGHT and approached at every loving gas station by old farmhands asking if that thar has a Hemi innut.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I rented a car (Enterprise) a few weeks back to take an overnight trip from Cleveland(ish) to Detroit and back. Got an upgrade from intermediate to whatever class a fully loaded platinum Fusion with hybrid is for $2 for the weekend, and it was only slightly more expensive (I think $12) to keep it until Monday and return where I got it than return it elsewhere over the weekend - which incurs a fee.

How car rental companies stay in business is something of a mystery.

e: does Chrysler make a V8 engine that isn't?
VV

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 5, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I got the bumpup at Enterprise as well- reserved a midsize and got a Challenger SRT- spent the week driving around Ohio being CHALLENGED FOR DOMINANCE AT EVERY STOP LIGHT and approached at every loving gas station by old farmhands asking if that thar has a Hemi innut.

Well did it?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Well did it?

Yer durned tootin' it did.

By far the most irresponsible rental car I've ever rented.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Well did it?

A rental with a v8 takes "fastest car in the world" to new heights.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

nm posted:

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/19/video-garage-419-pits-gt-r-against-rented-hertz-corvette-wit/

Made me think of this story from years ago.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Imagine the days when you could grab a Shelby from Hertz.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xzzy posted:

Plenty of people buy sedans. They just buy Accords and Camrys and not whatever GM is flogging. Toyota sold 700,000 Camrys and Corollas last year, Honda did about the same with the Civic and Accord, and the Altima and Sentra sold about 500,000. The Chevy Impala? 76,000. The Chrysler 300, about 50,000. The 200, under 20,000. The Focus sold 115,000.

There's a dropoff in sedan sales in recent years as oil prices have dropped, but the dropoff for Japanese models is nothing like what American companies have been seeing. Lots of people are buying Sedans, they're just not buying *American* sedans.

nm posted:

Same thing happened to me recently on work travel. My flight was late, I showed up at the desk and they said "Well, we did have a car reserved for you, but someone else took it. How many are traveling with you?" "Just me," I said. "Would a Mustang work?" I figured they'd give me the turbo-4, but nope. It was a brand-new V-8. Only problem was it has a goddamned 10-speed automatic and it hits every gear every time you slow down for a stoplight or pull away from one.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 6, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's pouring in LA this morning so I had a number of people going 25 in a 40 (on a street where people are usually doing 55 when it's dry) and generally holding up traffic, but the odd thing was every car that really sucked also didn't have their lights on. I'm used to people in LA not putting on lights when it's raining, but you'd think if you're that terrified of some water you'd want every advantage and put your lights on.

Or it could just be that when you suck at driving, you REALLY suck at all parts of driving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'd like to tell you all a story about a restaurant in Denver called The Hornet.

Just this year, The Hornet has had three separate cars crash into the front of the store. Pictured above is #3, who crashed into The Hornet a few days ago.

The Hornet is on Broadway and 1st, both two very straight streets in Denver.

In short, the moral of the story is: People still can't drive.