Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Dual stat-stick BV/EK/GC builds are alive and well, since it doesn't sound like they nerfed the mods at all.

e:

quote:

The Hierophant node Ritual of Awakening no longer grants +1 to maximum number of Summoned Totems. Instead it now causes skills that would Summon a Totem to summon two Totems instead, and grants 3% more Damage per Totem.

Even more justification for my pathfinder totem build.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Hierophant loses the 4th totem because there's other ways to get more totems now than a few items.

Those monsters.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

well no one would buy my poo poo, so I couldnt buy the achievements. Still, thank you for throwing currency at me.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Xeras posted:

Balance Manifesto is up:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2255049

I'm super super disappointed there are only limited changes for self casting. :(

Same, there's simply no upside to self-casting until they actually look at it.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

gonadic io posted:

Dual stat-stick BV/EK/GC builds are alive and well, since it doesn't sound like they nerfed the mods at all.

e:

Even more justification for my pathfinder totem build.

BV needs to use dual daggers now though, right?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Vasudus posted:

Hierophant loses the 4th totem because there's other ways to get more totems now than a few items.

Those monsters.

Hmm still probably going to start off with an arc totem build but very sad

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

gently caress you GGG fix goddamn melee

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Without stat sticks, what's the best way to do melee now? Real dual-wielding, shield, or two-handers?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

frajaq posted:

gently caress you GGG fix goddamn melee

It really does feel that the stat stick change is only loving over melee and not casters since spells don't give a poo poo what you have equipped. What an odd decision.

Edit: I really hope this rarity change makes golem jewels less loving retarded to find. Basically locking you out of high level golem builds till you have 100 chaos is bad and dumb.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
I was so excited to play Double Strike as a starter. Rip...

Is there even any point in dual wielding?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Is there even any point in dual wielding?
10% more attack speed, 15% chance to block and 20% more physical attack dmg are still things

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

Without stat sticks, what's the best way to do melee now? Real dual-wielding, shield, or two-handers?

Shield is probably strongest now. 2 handed slayer with Cyclone or Lacerate doesn't seem bad either, especially if you're talking about a league starter and especially if you can run lab.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ugato posted:

BV needs to use dual daggers now though, right?

Blade Vortex might need to use dual daggers just for whirling blades, you can stick (heh) with Flame Dash if you want to use sceptres I guess.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

So did they forget that phys spell stat stick builds exist when they tried to nerf stat sticks?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

why does everyone assume they forgot GC and BV? It's WAY easier to balance those spells than try to rework stat sticks another way.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

So did they forget that phys spell stat stick builds exist when they tried to nerf stat sticks?

I guess their problem wasn't with the shaper mods themselves but specifically the way stat sticks were distorting melee options.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ein Sexmonster posted:

why does everyone assume they forgot GC and BV? It's WAY easier to balance those spells than try to rework stat sticks another way.

Shockwave totem meta confirmed :v:

e: I'm legit tempted, because it lets me use the cool crafted chest mods instead of a Soul Mantle.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 4, 2018

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
I could see something like 2x single affix "gain" weapons with the appropriate basetype and high pdps being the new norm for high level play, depending on how the formerly mainhand skills are getting implemented now (hopefully something like dualstrike instead of alternating).

Gonna be sad for no leap slam for my clawboys going forward, though.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Attorney at Funk posted:

I guess their problem wasn't with the shaper mods themselves but specifically the way stat sticks were distorting melee options.

As long as there are regular dual wield, 2-hand, and maybe shield boosts for melee this will be okay. If stat sticks eat poo poo while all the rest of the melee gear options remain unchanged, well :lol:

I'm glad I bit the bullet and did the arc hiero thing in Delve. Depending on what other melee changes are coming I might be leaning more towards starting with a Toxic Rain / Herald of Agony pathfinder instead of Ngamahu Cyclone.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

gonadic io posted:

Shockwave totem meta confirmed :v:

e: I'm legit tempted, because it lets me use the cool crafted chest mods instead of a Soul Mantle.

I've been toying with a reverse knockback shockwave totem for a while in PoB for a while but I've never got the numbers high enough. Maybe it'll work with the new multiple totems support as a chieftain.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
The stat stick thing feels very much like a situation where they hit the lowest hanging fruit because a more dramatic Nerf would have had ripple effects on more builds than they could possibly handle in one patch. I would expect incremental steps to buff melee in general or shields/2 handers to make things more competitive over time.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

delete minions, spells, totems and mines from the game

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

frajaq posted:

delete minions, spells, totems and mines from the game

Why do you hate fun? :mad:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

All hail lycosidae crit meta. Welcome back friend

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Well hey now I feel less bad about trying 2h impale champ

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It'll be interesting to see how the unique reworks play out in conjunction with the crafting changes.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

All hail lycosidae crit meta. Welcome back friend

Remove the second miss check to confirm crit so accuracy isn't double penalized for crit

There, I fixed Lycosidae

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i didnt know it was broken

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Awesome! posted:

i didnt know it was broken

I didn’t either but in all fairness I tend to not play melee because I suck at dodging things at close range.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

in the brief moment where i consider making my own build: does anyone use scion trickster/slayer for the leech combo there?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So heiro + the new totem support can put down four totems at a time? Seems fun. Shame about melee though

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
GGG is pretty brilliant by posting about nerfs and letting everyone get the anger out of their system for 24 hours before they release the patch notes to prop everyone up.

I have a feeling there's going to be some love for melee tomorrow.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

MMF Freeway posted:

So heiro + the new totem support can put down four totems at a time?

Naw, everything specifies "Drops two totems" not drops extra. Travesty.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Why would you ever want to be in melee range? That's where things explode and kill you.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The actual kicker that's hidden in the manifesto:

quote:

We found that with this change it was important to make skillbinds specific to your weapon set. You can now have an entirely different set of skills bound to your main set of weapons and your second set of weapons.

More active ability slots!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Why would you ever want to be in melee range? That's where things explode and kill you.

I loving Love Mosh Pits

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

that's the way God intended for us to play these games

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

why would they make stat sticks unusable for melee, which really needed them to do insane damage, and still let them still work for spells is beyond me

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Clearly it was melee that needed a nerf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Clockwerk posted:

Clearly it was melee that needed a nerf

They're making weapon crafting easier. It's way too early to say they're nerfing melee in general just because they removed a degenerate playstyle.