Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, speaking of young kids playing Switch, I want to get Breath of the Wild soonish and obviously I know that there are likely very scary parts in it, but overall, how much of it is terrifying enemies and demons and whatnot, and how much is just 'run around and play, maybe hit a guy or six'?

I would say BOTW is a bit complicated for very young kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Octopath is like if FF6’s flawed second half were the entire game.
Similarly, FFXV is like if Xenogears Disc 2 was the entire game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Augus posted:

FF6 doesn't even have a job system

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Everyone in FF6 has a set job.

Sabin is a Monk. Cyan is a Samurai. Mog is a Moogle. Locke watches the airship while the others enter Kefka's Tower.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I still think it's fine to just let a kid go hog wild with it without really getting what's going on.
And none of the enemies are especially scary. The bosses are certainly creepy but there's zero chance a four year old would manage to encounter one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

Nah, I'd just say it's like Xenogears as a whole; It has a perfectly-coherent and open "Disc 1", but when you move on to what's clearly an unfinished world map you can practically see the seams from where SE closed off unfiinished content and funneled the player into a linear path on what was still workable.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like everything about BotW except for the combat. I don't even mind weapon breaking, not even a little, but because there's no point to fighting random monsters besides drops for armor upgrades there's little to make me want to do it. That and I feel like I've either gone too far too fast and everything's really strong out here or I just suck, but either way everything kills me in one or two hits. That was fun in the beginning because I had to learn to fight and whatnot, but now just feels tedious. Exploring is so much more fun than reloading until I win a fight.

Thankfully this complaint always turns around into a positive if I think about it because the lack of motivation to fight is because you don't really have to fight so I'm free to just ignore enemy camps and climb around them or run past them and I'm safe in the knowledge that I'm not missing anything important like Heart Pieces or collectibles or whatever by doing so. That's a good feeling. BotW is very good and very free.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

There's nothing in it that should be bad for kids thematically. My four year old nephew doesn't know how to play at all but he still goofs around in it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I like everything about BotW except for the combat. I don't even mind weapon breaking, not even a little, but because there's no point to fighting random monsters besides drops for armor upgrades there's little to make me want to do it. That and I feel like I've either gone too far too fast and everything's really strong out here or I just suck, but either way everything kills me in one or two hits. That was fun in the beginning because I had to learn to fight and whatnot, but now just feels tedious. Exploring is so much more fun than reloading until I win a fight.

Thankfully this complaint always turns around into a positive if I think about it because the lack of motivation to fight is because you don't really have to fight so I'm free to just ignore enemy camps and climb around them or run past them and I'm safe in the knowledge that I'm not missing anything important like Heart Pieces or collectibles or whatever by doing so. That's a good feeling. BotW is very good and very free.

I dislike the battle music in BOTW a lot

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Andrast posted:

I dislike the battle music in BOTW a lot

Guardian battle music owns.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Oh wow, didn't think I'd be able to find that online, outside of browsing via the actual Switch. Thanks!

I wonder if my 4 year old will get a kick out of any of these. He's still rocking the free version of Super Mario Run :smug:

Hey, speaking of young kids playing Switch, I want to get Breath of the Wild soonish and obviously I know that there are likely very scary parts in it, but overall, how much of it is terrifying enemies and demons and whatnot, and how much is just 'run around and play, maybe hit a guy or six'?

My 5 year old was too scared to watch me play BOTW but she loved playing Mario Odyssey herself, just put it on the easy mode. She had played a lot of Mario Kart as well, the auto steer and acceleration helps. Also this new coloring book game that just came out that she likes. It was free but I'm sure there are iaps.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Guardian battle music owns.

ok that one is fine

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

SeANMcBAY posted:

How’s it feel weight distribution-wise? I kinda want that thing but it looks awkward to hold.

Feels ok so far, but I haven't had any extended seshes yet. I share your concern. The bigger stumbling block for me is that I'm now using regular-rear end joycons after getting used to the Hori d-pad joint. That thing's so much better, but it doesn't have any wireless junk, so it's back to those stupid buttons instead of a d-pad when using this bracket.

bushisms.txt posted:

What game is that?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh wow, didn't think I'd be able to find that online, outside of browsing via the actual Switch. Thanks!

I wonder if my 4 year old will get a kick out of any of these. He's still rocking the free version of Super Mario Run :smug:

You can spend hours doing the latter in BotW, so your kid will be fine. The only scary bits are the dungeon bosses and I don't think a 4-year-old would make it anywhere near them. Maybe help him tame a horse.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Here's a good piece about someone spending time with their 3 year olds and Breath of the Wild. Seems like the game is a great conduit for experimental play.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/158741536532/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-is

You were the guy also getting Kirby Star Allies for your kid, correct? I've been wanting to tell you that Kirby games hide a ton of text in the pause menus. Everything from full button listings/move sets/fun descriptions for abilities, and lore and flavor text for all of the bosses. I felt it was important to tell you this so you and your child can experience all the deep Kirby lore on offer.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

On the other hand kids understand Minecraft

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

4 year olds? I dunno, it's been a while since I've been 4 :corsair:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I was watching a kid so we did 2p mode of Odyssey and it was fun, you can have them either Mario or Cappy depending on what they're having trouble with. you do have to give decent and clear instructions and be patient and supportive while they learn stuff though because at the end of the day they're still gonna be a kid.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

loudog999 posted:

My 5 year old was too scared to watch me play BOTW but she loved playing Mario Odyssey herself, just put it on the easy mode. She had played a lot of Mario Kart as well, the auto steer and acceleration helps. Also this new coloring book game that just came out that she likes. It was free but I'm sure there are iaps.

I got that coloring book game too for my 5 year old thinking it would probably suck but it's actually pretty well done. The only iap I see are additional pages, which I might have to get because hes colored all of the ones that came with the game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there a page where you can color a dinosaur?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mega64 posted:

e: For context, I'm the type of person who regularly replays old Final Fantasy games with weird challenge runs or whatever else and really dug Romancing SaGa 2 when it first the Switch, and my all-time favorite game was Legend of Mana purely for the world-building, presentation, and crazy characters, and that had no overarching story either. A lack of a central narrative is no issue for me at all, but definitely understand why others would be turned off by Octopath if they preferred games like FF7 or on where the narratives were much stronger.

Great, now I want Legend of Mana ported to Switch. That was one of my favorite games from that era too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTy1NwhqZ2o

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Hard same on all of this.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

loudog999 posted:

I don't think Ive posted since getting my Satisfye grip in, but if you are on the fence about it I would say get it. It has helped reduce the fatigue in my wrist that I was getting from playing undocked and just makes playing more comfortable. It takes a bit to get used to the one side being bigger than the other, but I have had no complaints after the initial 30 minutes or so it took me to grow accustom to it. Its easy to put on and take off so the fact that it doesnt fit the dock isnt really an issue. I may try the Skull and Co grip at some point in the future, but for now I am happy enough with this one to wait.

Edit: Oh yeah, the little rubber nubs that come with it are garbage, go ahead and trash those because they arent worth the time it takes to cram them on the joy con sticks.

Does the Satisfye grip seem bulky at all? It seems nice to have around the house, but I'm wondering if I'd want to travel with it or take it to work since it's wider than the console itself and has little nubs and things on the bottom (also needs a new case).

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Are the knock-off gamecube controllers any good? I see highly rated third party ones that I can buy two for the price of one official.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
5 year old in our house absolutely loved BOTW, but she would pass me the controller when bad guys were around so I could take them out or run away. She felt confident running away from slimes, but anything else appeared too threatening and scared her. She mostly loved exploring the landscape and playing dress up, like everybody else.

Other games she likes:
Mario Kart
Spla2oon
Pokemon Lets Go
Minecraft
Yonder

Basically she likes running around open world games but she isn't advanced enough to read instructions or otherwise play the game the way it was "intended" to be played. But who gives a poo poo she has a blast. Minecraft is great for having a peaceful no-monster mode but the water still gets her.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 4, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Silver Snail posted:

Here's a good piece about someone spending time with their 3 year olds and Breath of the Wild. Seems like the game is a great conduit for experimental play.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/158741536532/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-is

You were the guy also getting Kirby Star Allies for your kid, correct? I've been wanting to tell you that Kirby games hide a ton of text in the pause menus. Everything from full button listings/move sets/fun descriptions for abilities, and lore and flavor text for all of the bosses. I felt it was important to tell you this so you and your child can experience all the deep Kirby lore on offer.

Thanks for the link! Though no, that wasn't me asking about Kirby before. I'll look into Star Allies and keep your post in mind.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Does the Satisfye grip seem bulky at all? It seems nice to have around the house, but I'm wondering if I'd want to travel with it or take it to work since it's wider than the console itself and has little nubs and things on the bottom (also needs a new case).

It is bulky so it probably wouldn't travel well. I don't have the case that they make for it but from the pictures I've seen it looks as big as a suitcase.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

loudog999 posted:

It is bulky so it probably wouldn't travel well. I don't have the case that they make for it but from the pictures I've seen it looks as big as a suitcase.

Thanks. Probably gonna get one for around the house because they seem really nice and I want one that's easy to take off.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Got gifted Dark Souls, Kirby, and Pokemon. How do I finish all 3 (and my backlog) before Smash pls help

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

empathe posted:

Got gifted Dark Souls, Kirby, and Pokemon. How do I finish all 3 (and my backlog) before Smash pls help

You can finish Kirby in a couple afternoons, easy
The other two, uh you wouldnt happen to do speedruns for a living would you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

empathe posted:

Easy, dont play Smash.

But seriously theres no way and youre massively more likely to play them once you wrap up whatever the hell the single player in Smash is and get tired of getting wrecked online.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Play whatever you feel like and don't stress about finishing games imo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean it’s not like it’s hard as you will probably play smash for twenty minutes before forgetting it until your friends come over .

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I recently let my kids play video games for the first time. They are three and five and never had any contact with video games except for watching me play SMB one time and the occasional glimpse here and there.
I play a lot of games but usually in the evening when the kids are in bed or when they are away with their mom.
I actually had to talk my daughter into taking the controller because she was a bit scared for some reason. After her little brother banged into the walls in Mario Kart for a couple of minutes she wanted to try as well.
She got the hang of it pretty quickly. Of course she overcorrects all the time and bangs into opposite walls before getting the kart straight again, but most of the time she can beat at least a couple of the AI drivers.

She knows how to pick drivers and tracks by now as well. She can't read yet but when in doubt she mashes A till something useful comes up!

Her little brother pretty much just holds down A and pushes the stick in random directions. The autodriving feature is pretty useful for him. He actually won a race like that...

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Are all the GameCube Smash Ultimate controllers black? Will Nintendo release more colours?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Housh posted:

Are all the GameCube Smash Ultimate controllers black? Will Nintendo release more colours?

Indigo is the only valid GameCube color.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TWEWY has been dropped to $30 on Amazon, so if 50 was too rich for you, now's your chance

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Seems like Monster Boy should be out later today, initial reviews are looking pretty good too. Supposed to be pretty meaty from what I hear, maybe 20+ hours?

Battle Princess Madelyn out on Thursday too, if that one ends up being any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Spice is the only valid GameCube color.