Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

I can't prove it, but I swear I've recently seen contestants deliberately drop from close second into third place for control of the board at the start of Double Jeopardy

Control of the board is more of an advantage in person than one would think, but definitely not to the point of self sabotage. Honestly, one other extremely difficult part of jeopardy is tracking the score. I was in the guest audience and had trouble tracking it, including imagine being an actual contestant tracking it.

Honestly, I think it’s more the momentum from getting a question right that propels people. But again, that’s definitely observation vs personal experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Help me out here, what swear word sounds like miedo
That would be mierda, aka poo poo.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Urdnot Fire posted:

That would be mierda, aka poo poo.

Oh poo poo I thought she was saying it sounded like an English swear word. thats what I get for not actually listening to contestant stories

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

Nice moustache

huh?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Talkin bout the current champ

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
So the woman guessed "breast cancer" when the answer was "ovarian cancer"

Do you think the judges would have accepted "cancer" or would they ask to be more specific? These are the questions that keep me up at night after watching Jeopardy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Amy from today snuck a lil antifascist symbol into her final answer

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I just watched Abel Wingnut's episode! GOOD JOB DUDE!! That was awesome. Even though I was spoilered on the result from this thread it was still a super exciting game and you should be super proud.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
How the heck was anybody supposed to get that snow white clock question

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 17, 2022

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Duckman2008 posted:

Control of the board is more of an advantage in person than one would think, but definitely not to the point of self sabotage. Honestly, one other extremely difficult part of jeopardy is tracking the score. I was in the guest audience and had trouble tracking it, including imagine being an actual contestant tracking it.

Honestly, I think it’s more the momentum from getting a question right that propels people. But again, that’s definitely observation vs personal experience.

There's a score counter facing the contestants to the left of the board above the main cameras facing them, it's why they look in that direction when they're considering bets during Daily Doubles and the like. But yeah, you really don't have much of a break to check your score when you're in a groove.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

HookShot posted:

You can see them here, with $0 on all three screens.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I know, I’ve been there. I wasn’t the contestant, my wife was, but I still think it would be hard to track while actually in game.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Opera is probably one of the more difficult categories for me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I know, I’ve been there. I wasn’t the contestant, my wife was, but I still think it would be hard to track while actually in game.

Yeah, I've said it before in this thread but apart from ad breaks/daily double breaks when you have a chance to look at the scores I had literally no idea what was happening score-wise during any of my games.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Poque posted:

How the gently caress was anybody supposed to get that snow white clock question

Which dwarf would be the one hanging from the pendulum? The dumb one.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Gaunab posted:

Opera is probably one of the more difficult categories for me.

I always do terrible in the bougie categories. Who gives a poo poo about opera or theatre

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
So when Swetha got the daily double very near the end, she had 10400 and the leader had 14600, and she bet 4000

So if she had gotten it right she would have had 14400. which would still not have put her in the lead for final

If she thinks she doesn't know the category and she won't know the clue she should bet less, but she was trying to be bolder so she should have bet 4201 or something to give her the lead

There's no strategically difference in losing 4000 or listing 4201

not the most strategic wager imo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm going through some recorded episodes and the "two word world capitals" final was hilarious cuz that's one of those ones you can guess just seeing the category.

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1073249563853680640

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I really didn't like the Star Trek final, it felt way too specific for a FJ question

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poque posted:

I really didn't like the Star Trek final, it felt way too specific for a FJ question

I'd say it's no worse than an opera quesiton

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Based on 2/3 contestants getting it and the other one thinking of the correct response but overthinking himself to a different response, I'm going to say it was probably not too specific

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't watch star trek and it was a gimme.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
To be fair, my initial thought was the Vulcans, but then I remembered the suppressed memory of Star Trek Nemesis.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Poque posted:

Remus should bring Romulus to mind, so I didnt mind it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Iron Crowned posted:

To be fair, my initial thought was the Vulcans, but then I remembered the suppressed memory of Star Trek Nemesis.

Anything that makes people think about that movie is bad, so I have to side against this clue.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
it's a good Final because you can use the mythology clue to get to Romulans and even if you don't watch Star Trek you've heard that word before.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd say it's no worse than an opera quesiton

what was wrong with the opera question?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nobody listens to loving opera.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i mean, it’s jeopardy. jeopardy asks about opera sometimes. you need to know at least the top 10 or so, and ‘aida’ is definitely a top 10 opera

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I have literally never seen Star Trek and my knowledge of it extends to "Spock, Shatner was in it, Klingon" and I figured it out based on Romulus/Remus alone.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Game is a runaway unless Faris or Noah get at least 1200 and times almost out... definitely time to pick the 400 clue

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I love that the current champ's past as The Runaways' bassist was revealed several days into her run, and mentioned in such a low-key way.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I love that the current champ's past as The Runaways' bassist was revealed several days into her run, and mentioned in such a low-key way.

She dropped it like it was her garage band. And now I’m not sure Alex knows who Joan Jett was.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I liked the lady's story on Tuesday's episode that basically translated to her being so rude to a tour guide she was kicked out of the tour and Alex literally slowly and silently backed away from her and moved on.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yeah that was loving weird. Literally did a double take when she said it then ran to google assuming she's some sort of compulsive liar

How was "I was in a band with Joan loving Jett" not her day 1 story

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

I liked the lady's story on Tuesday's episode that basically translated to her being so rude to a tour guide she was kicked out of the tour and Alex literally slowly and silently backed away from her and moved on.

lol that was great. Alex is a treasure sometimes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah that was loving weird. Literally did a double take when she said it then ran to google assuming she's some sort of compulsive liar

I know right? It has to be up there as one of the most bizarre moments of Jeopardy

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I wasn't sure if she played in a band that happened to also be called the Runaways or if she played with the actual Runaways. That's so crazy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Soothing Vapors posted:

Alex gets a card with your 5 stories. You can pick the one you like best but Alex decides which to ask about in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

Alex gets a card with your 5 stories. You can pick the one you like best but Alex decides which to ask about in the end.

3 stories actually. Not all of your 5 stories makes it onto the card, and sometimes something you didn't even write as one of your 5 stories (in one of the multiple pages of supplemental questions they ask you after you list your 5 stories) makes it to the card, like what happened to me. I didn't make it past the first day, so it didn't even matter though. They go over the stories they picked for you in the Green Room while you're going over all of your paperwork, so no real surprises on what's gonna show up. And yeah, they ask you which one you prefer, but do stress it is Alex's choice which one he does ask about.

Also, wow I guess I missed a good show yesterday.