Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

boo_radley posted:

My real struggle is going to be coming up with a great new name. DelvinSimonTheodore was a great pun and I haven't gotten any good ideas from "betrayal" as a league name.

I mean, it doesn't have to be a pun. I'll probably revive my old character name Penus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

boo_radley posted:

My real struggle is going to be coming up with a great new name. DelvinSimonTheodore was a great pun and I haven't gotten any good ideas from "betrayal" as a league name.

I appreciated that character name and will miss him or her

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Neat! Looking forward to the new league.

I never played the Beastiary league... can effort post an explanation on what goes on? or provide a link would be great...

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

yegods posted:

I never played the Beastiary league... can effort post an explanation on what goes on? or provide a link would be great...

The actual Beastiary league was different, but the way it works now:

1) Every once in a while you will meet Einhar
2) He will join you as a follower and will spawn either a yellow or red beast on the map
3) Killing said monster will cause Einhar to capture it
4) It will add a new recipe to your master crafting bench and/or become a component for one of the recipes

The original version was, shittier.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Scottishprog posted:

What would a good overall strategy be for a semi-noob?

(Yes, I will be trading, did ok the last time I tried....)

- Push to maps?
- Or something else?

So far I have used cheapish beginner builds, because I never really make enough for a high-cost second character.

Just trying to push the limits of what I can do a bit....

I'd suggest picking something that runs lab well and doing that + Atziri (uber lab can drop a lot of fragments). I'm not sure how it will pan out this league, but my GC miner could do both without breaking a sweat and clear maps rapidly. I wasn't seriously trying to make currency off either lab or Atziri but I made a decent amount selling uber lab enchants. Cheapish beginner builds are mostly good for getting a foothold for a second character so don't invest too much into them if you want to try something else.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

We did a final purge before the league starts. I think I got everyone from the backup guild an invite to the main one, and there's 3 slots open in the main guild still.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

boo_radley posted:

I haven't gotten any good ideas from "betrayal" as a league name.

My starter name "JudasWasFramed" was shockingly available!

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012

Polka_Rapper posted:

I'd suggest picking something that runs lab well and doing that + Atziri (uber lab can drop a lot of fragments). I'm not sure how it will pan out this league, but my GC miner could do both without breaking a sweat and clear maps rapidly. I wasn't seriously trying to make currency off either lab or Atziri but I made a decent amount selling uber lab enchants. Cheapish beginner builds are mostly good for getting a foothold for a second character so don't invest too much into them if you want to try something else.

Something like: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1957409

Or is there another build guide you would recommend?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
RIP Quill Rain

TheRat posted:

We did a final purge before the league starts. I think I got everyone from the backup guild an invite to the main one, and there's 3 slots open in the main guild still.

Please add me as Cottonwoods

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Scottishprog posted:

Something like: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1957409

Or is there another build guide you would recommend?

That's the one I was following. I will say that I used a different skill tree and gems/jewels since that person updated the guide after I started it, and that a friend gave me a pair of really good statsticks. It was still quite good before I was able to equip them though. I think I got to act 6 with Tabula, Lifesprig, Abberath's Horn, and some blue/white gear. I was still one-shotting most normal mobs with Arc mines, but I felt like I was taking a bit too much damage. I never managed to six-link my Loreweave so I stuck with Tabula all the way to level 91.

You don't have to start with this build, but it was a blast to play and it doesn't look like it will be changed much in this league. Either way, it should make a perfectly good starting build that is capable of doing all content if you decide to invest in it.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

yegods posted:

The only thing he left out is, captured beasts can be sacrified (read:fought in an arena) for rare craft recipes. Some of them allow you to add beast aspect such as spider (15% more dmg taken and slow aura, 25% reserve). Wiki has full list of beastcrafting. Some aspect beasts are over an exalt, so may wanna check what's good.

You also get a zoo.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Bosses don't have reduced shock effectiveness any more.
Impale will always do what it says it does- which is essentially 50%/70% more physical damage.

Yeah but with Shock you have to deal a certain percentage of the boss's hp in order to get a good shock debuff(unless you've got guaranteed shocks from somewhere). With Impale your damage per hit doesn't matter. Seems odd that it'd be effortless like that. On the other hand you don't need 100% shock chance to get good shocks...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Scottishprog posted:

What would a good overall strategy be for a semi-noob?

(Yes, I will be trading, did ok the last time I tried....)

- Push to maps?
- Or something else?

So far I have used cheapish beginner builds, because I never really make enough for a high-cost second character.

Just trying to push the limits of what I can do a bit....

just do whatever you find fun and do it a lot. if you hate farming uber lab just push maps and you will still make money.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

McFrugal posted:

Yeah but with Shock you have to deal a certain percentage of the boss's hp in order to get a good shock debuff(unless you've got guaranteed shocks from somewhere). With Impale your damage per hit doesn't matter. Seems odd that it'd be effortless like that. On the other hand you don't need 100% shock chance to get good shocks...

Shock increases damage dealt by % of HP that it dealt. A crit that deals .01% is ignored. The only minimum is from Elementalist and other guaranteed shock% like Vinkhtar.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

TheRat posted:

If there is still a spot could you invite HoboMinions?

Edit: Is it me or does herald of purity seem to be made for a champ impale build? It gives flat +phys, and the minions get a 20% chance to add stacks of impale to bosses on hit. Feels like that would be a decent boost to single target.

I also have not really played a champion before. I get the permanent fortify and armor is a lot of your defense but what do you do for life gain. Life steal or regen normally?

Frustrated fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 5, 2018

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
So not only did they make stat sticks unusable for melee, they also halved the phys as extra ele mods.

They could have done just the latter and it'd have been fine, imo. Now, barring some really buffed crafting, I'm not seeing most melee builds survive.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Shock increases damage dealt by % of HP that it dealt. A crit that deals .01% is ignored. The only minimum is from Elementalist and other guaranteed shock% like Vinkhtar.

I know? That's my point?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Anyone ever think about messing with a Private league?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Awesome! posted:

just do whatever you find fun and do it a lot. if you hate farming uber lab just push maps and you will still make money.

The bold is really the most important part. This game heavily rewards time invested.

tolaziforname
Nov 30, 2008
I wonder if being Impaled is considered an ailment

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Frustrated posted:

Guild filled up, sorry. I'll invite you to the backup guild and you'll be first in line when a spot opens up in the main one.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

TheRat posted:

Guild filled up, sorry. I'll invite you to the backup guild and you'll be first in line when a spot opens up in the main one.

no worries. Appreciate the invite.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Frustrated posted:

Edit: Is it me or does herald of purity seem to be made for a champ impale build? It gives flat +phys, and the minions get a 20% chance to add stacks of impale to bosses on hit. Feels like that would be a decent boost to single target.

I also have not really played a champion before. I get the permanent fortify and armor is a lot of your defense but what do you do for life gain. Life steal or regen normally?

LGOH (say from claws with an attack skill that hits real fast) and/or leech from the tree

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

tolaziforname posted:

I wonder if being Impaled is considered an ailment

It's described in the patch notes as a debuff, so no.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm doing Ice Nova totems pathfinder for sure now, it's going to be hard not to just Loreweave AND res flasks though. Soul Mantle still an option.

e: with Malachai's Artifice of course

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 5, 2018

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Grimoire posted:

LGOH (say from claws with an attack skill that hits real fast) and/or leech from the tree

Thanks. I'm actually really disappointed that the steel skills are axe/sword only. Not being able to use a claw sucks since several claws seem to fit the skills really well. Mortem Morsu, Wasp Nest, The Scourge etc.

Gaardean
May 28, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

So not only did they make stat sticks unusable for melee, they also halved the phys as extra ele mods.

They could have done just the latter and it'd have been fine, imo. Now, barring some really buffed crafting, I'm not seeing most melee builds survive.

I don't think they could ever balance out "main hand only" melee skills with any good weapon mods vs. 2 handers/dual wield/shield builds under the old system. The crafted weapon mods in the Betrayal spoilers so far have been significantly higher (ie. double) the old crafted mods, so if good weapons are easier to get, it might balance things out while leaving less of a gap between the "good" weapon skills and the rest. "Phys as extra" mods on weapons being far too good for any phys based damage was a whole separate issue, even if there was overlap between the problems.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I didn't see any mention of Scorched. Secret debuff?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

I didn't see any mention of Scorched. Secret debuff?

It's new, so it doesn't get to be in the patch notes. Sounds like we're getting fire, cold, and lightning flavored ele resist debuffs.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Can't believe I got purged. In shock right now.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I'm at work so only skimmed through the patch notes. I was waiting to see whether Arc is getting nerfed and had decided I would run an arc if it didnt. Are 3.4 builds for an arc/lightning spire trapper going to be more or less correct?

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

West007 posted:

Are 3.4 builds for an arc/lightning spire trapper going to be more or less correct?

You should be ok with a 3.4 build, and if you play ES it will likely be somewhat improved in 3.5.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Am I right in thinking that if you take New Eldritch Battery and don't have MoM, your ES never stops recharging?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I feel like once you've added a modifier called 'Non-Ailment Chaos Damage over Time Multiplier' it's time to stop and reevaluate your design decisions, or at the very least your naming scheme.

Really excited about everything being nerfed, except for the ones that weren't nerfed (boo).

Time to figure out which buffed unique weapon to build around this League...

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I guess arc trap/loreweave/shimmeron/lightning spire still a thing then!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
RIP double beyond

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Insurrectionist posted:

I feel like once you've added a modifier called 'Non-Ailment Chaos Damage over Time Multiplier' it's time to stop and reevaluate your design decisions, or at the very least your naming scheme.

At least we won't need eyes where this game is going, which will make Flicker Strike even more viable!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Zenithe posted:

Bringer of Rain owns. Couple of leagues ago I ran a gladiator with it and did ok. They really should just double down on dumb items like that imo.
I'm a big fan of BoR for league starters but I'll have to rework my BF Champ since stat sticks are dead. Going to miss the "enemies explode dealing 5% as fire" off hand for clear with Bloodseeker.

quote:

Ice Nova
- Deals 19 to 28 cold damage at gem level 1 (up from 15 to 21) and 632 to 930 cold damage at gem level 20 (up from 486 to 715).
- Can now expand from up to 2 Frostbolt projectiles at once.
- No longer deals 40% more damage when cast on Frostbolt.
- Now has 20% less Area of Effect when cast on Frostbolt.
- Now has a smaller radius at gem level 1, gaining up to +4 to radius at gem level 20.
Hmm this could be the league I make ice nova not suck probably not

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Huh. I went to standard to test some stuff out and every area had a tempest and perandus chests. I died then relogged and it stopped happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Huh. I went to standard to test some stuff out and every area had a tempest and perandus chests. I died then relogged and it stopped happening.

Sounds like you had leaguestones active