Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

tolaziforname
Nov 30, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

Hit maps day one and ride the first few days of wealth train so you never have to worry about money again. Otherwise enjoy grinding ex. It's far more effort to make currency after week one.

As someone with over a thousand hours of gametime, but always piss poor, how do I exactly "ride the wealth train"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tolaziforname posted:

As someone with over a thousand hours of gametime, but always piss poor, how do I exactly "ride the wealth train"?

Best tip anyone can give you: Don't reroll. Rerolling is expensive, levelling to 95+ makes you rich.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

tolaziforname posted:

Play a shitton early, get to maps early, sell lots of things? Or do you need to know which things are valuable?

tolaziforname
Nov 30, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Play a shitton early, get to maps early, sell lots of things? Or do you need to know which things are valuable?

I have an understanding of the items that make builds I play good. Which is to say I can recognize pretty much everything "standard" (life/res/pdps/edps) except jewelry. gently caress if I know if a ring / amulet is good for a build that isnt "this ring/amulet has lots of spell/attack damage and crit"

I think another weakpoint is if an item is almost good, just needing a craft, I probably won't see it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I think if you are super fast to maps you just sell maps. idk I haven't played that much at league start to be at that level

e: and you probably get to have the run of the place wrt high level bases and whatnot

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
You are also taking advantage of a compressed market space.

Fewer total items in the system mean less good items will still sell for a decent price. Something that is worth an alc in week 3 might get you 3 chaos in week 1.

And there isn't as much currency in the system yet so better items will be cheaper because people need to sell items today. It's better for someone else to sell you an item for 30c on day 3 even if you could sell it for 70c in week 3.

Combine those two and you can push further faster and it just sorta snowballs.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I never thought they'd nerf Quill Rain. RIP my good friend

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm considering various scorpion boi builds since I skipped that skill entirely in Delve. I've also never rolled a Gladiator ever.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
lol hierophant and occultist are up to sixteen nodes

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

I never thought they'd nerf Quill Rain. RIP my good friend

Still BIS for a TR pure scorp summoner - all you need is poison chance. Your own damage, both hit and ailment, is purely vestigial

Sucks that assassin bowmen are basically locked into either Tempest + lit volkur's or Glare now though

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I started a cold dot CI saboteur last league and now I'm going to actually finish that as an Occultist.

Scruff_McGee
Mar 11, 2007

Thats a purdy smile
So for Lifting's Champion Warchief build - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1960538 how important do you guys think the two taunt ascendency nodes are? The new impale nodes look like fun, and the Dread Banner "lets nearby allies inflict Impale with attacks" and totems are allies. The question is would the Warchief totem be affected by the champion 20% chance to impale node? As people worked out earlier in this thread if you had 100% chance to impale, with the champ node Master of Metal it would work out to a 70% more damage increase.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2187283

This lightning trap saboteur build looks like a good starter build for Betrayal even without TinkerSkin. What do you guys think?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cyberdud posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2187283

This lightning trap saboteur build looks like a good starter build for Betrayal even without TinkerSkin. What do you guys think?

It's totally legit, you just have to carry a mana flask until you go tinkerskin/EB

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

TheRat posted:

Best tip anyone can give you: Don't reroll. Rerolling is expensive, levelling to 95+ makes you rich.

Well, if you made a decent mapper and can get to lvl90, chances are you will pay back for it's gear. And leveling gear is usually easy to reuse. Spawning a few Elders is sure to get some returns if you can cast frost wall and not die.

Now making lovely characters, gearing them, before realizing you have a Mathil of HP and none of his skill will quickly ruin you.

Basically, new players should stick to solid league starters, not expensive twink poo poo like RF Juggs, that operate subpar without 5-50 exalts worth of gear.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Scruff_McGee posted:

So for Lifting's Champion Warchief build - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1960538 how important do you guys think the two taunt ascendency nodes are? The new impale nodes look like fun, and the Dread Banner "lets nearby allies inflict Impale with attacks" and totems are allies. The question is would the Warchief totem be affected by the champion 20% chance to impale node? As people worked out earlier in this thread if you had 100% chance to impale, with the champ node Master of Metal it would work out to a 70% more damage increase.

I'm no expert but the 100% chance to hit is a huge part of the power of Champion. The banner gives you fortify from what I can figure out from the announcement but it's hard to say from the announcement but I'm not sure how permanent it is. So you could definitely drop the 2nd Fortify node easier to pick up Master of Metal. I'm not sure how the mana reservation would effect you being able to do your thing but I'm not sure you can pick up those nodes pretty easy but I guess you could also drop the other Fortify node if you're not lacking defense.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Scruff_McGee posted:

The taunt nodes are kind of champ's thing. The second one is a huge damage increase and allows you to not build towards any accuracy (which he probably accounts for with the passive tree). If you wanna run master of metal I'd probably drop the fortify nodes and take that + the banner node. Presumably impale could be applied by your totems since they inherit your chance to inflict other ailments.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

tolaziforname posted:

TheRat posted:

Stop listening to anyone about specific trade or farming strategies and just do this. Wealth will come to you.

Pick a character/build you really enjoy and feel comfortable on, and just play.

Rerolling means not only do you have to pay to regear a char, but you have to waste 3-7 hours, depending on your ability to murder the campaign/twink yourself out, not doing anything which is a net value gain.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

It's totally legit, you just have to carry a mana flask until you go tinkerskin/EB

I ran this this last season (that I came late to) and it was extremely awesome even before Tinkerskin.

Gonna run it again except with Arc Trap (or, if there's some dark horse skill that's cool with traps as of yesterday's patch notes, that) this time just to try something new.

Anything major I need to change on the tree, ascendency, or gearwise to get it to support Arc Traps instead of Lightning Traps besides the gems? Also what is the generally accepted best 6L option for Arc Traps?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

also GGG likes to "clump" new skills in themes every league so it's really easy to switch out one for another. so it will probably just cost you a few regret orbs instead of the sink of rerolling. last league was by far my most profitable because I respec'd my three characters instead of rolling five new dudes when I got bored with them.

ZyrKx
Dec 10, 2006

Licorice Whip!

pokchu posted:

Stop listening to anyone about specific trade or farming strategies and just do this. Wealth will come to you.

Pick a character/build you really enjoy and feel comfortable on, and just play.

Rerolling means not only do you have to pay to regear a char, but you have to waste 3-7 hours, depending on your ability to murder the campaign/twink yourself out, not doing anything which is a net value gain.

also try to actually play, rather than standing around in your hideout looking pretty

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ZyrKx posted:

also try to actually play, rather than standing around in your hideout looking pretty

All the other suggestions were pretty reasonable, but now you're just being ridiculous :colbert:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ZyrKx posted:

also try to actually play, rather than standing around in your hideout arguing some inane poo poo in gchat

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
ah poo poo I got purged out. is the backup full too or are there still slots?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

NightfallGemini posted:

ah poo poo I got purged out. is the backup full too or are there still slots?

Lol you didnt even post ur char name so gl getting into either

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Captain Foo posted:

He doesn't use mom, so how does he get away with having so little life?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

what's the trade macro people recommend? I remember one is just a lovely copy of another one but can't remember

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
is BV (elementalist, i guess) a good league starter? I was thinking about doing another arc totem hiero, but I kinda wanna try something new and bv seems neat and also semi-lazy like totems

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Now that aura MTX can be used for any aura, I'm thinking of getting one of the supporter packs and using the points for discipline bubble. I always disliked the existing auras, especially blasphemy ones.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Jeep posted:

is BV (elementalist, i guess) a good league starter? I was thinking about doing another arc totem hiero, but I kinda wanna try something new and bv seems neat and also semi-lazy like totems
It is so strong you'll wonder why you ever did anything else. That said, it does require some key pieces to feel smooth. Duration is a big deal for keeping your BV spinning. I guarantee that inpulsas will still be really good, even after the nerf. Once you get the proliferation node and inpulsas, you'll start super tearing up packs.

I would probably suggest a noncrit elemental overload build as a starter, as EO boosts your herald spellpower. Crit is better in the long run, but it requires significantly more currency to get there.

Also, look at poe.ninja to see what people who are playing the build actually do, rather than following lovely forum guides. You'll notice some key differences. A lot more increased duration supports, for one.

Before I had statsticks last league, I used a doryani's and a princess. Was still totally strong.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 5, 2018

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Jeep posted:

Yes.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Is tanky Reave (probably played out of Duellist, though I'm not fussy) viable as a cheap league starter for someone who has zero (none (0) ) chance of hitting maps in day 1, or probably even week 1?

Secondly, is it a fun build?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Kind of want to try EK nova, but probably going to end up going with some flavor of BV. My only concern is if they changed Inpulsa's rarity. I didn't see anything about it in the patch notes, but I thought GGG said something about rebalancing the rarity of some uniques this league.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I only learned whaw Doryani's Fist was yesterday and now I wanna make it my whole league goal to make a Touch of God centered character.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
How much pen do you need before the inquisitor "ignore ele resists" mod is a net loss?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Every league I say I'm going to try storm call. Maybe I'll actually do it this time!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

KirbyKhan posted:

I only learned whaw Doryani's Fist was yesterday and now I wanna make it my whole league goal to make a Touch of God centered character.

I just rechecked this and holy poo poo. "600% Added Damage Effectiveness" is insane, and it can't miss now? Fire trap has 200% and that was a big deal that kills everything when built around.

I'm for sure going to try some kind of Elementalist Stormfire Ignite prolif build with it to maximise that great base damage and minimise the effect of the 50% less attack speed.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gonadic io posted:

How much pen do you need before the inquisitor "ignore ele resists" mod is a net loss?

40. That's what resistance Shaper/Guardian-tier monsters have. Inquisitor's ele resist stuff is fantastic for setups that do multiple elements where getting that much pen of multiple elements is otherwise a pain in the rear end.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I will NOT reroll mid-lvling in this league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Assuming the mechanic hasn't been nerfed, a ton of people are going to reroll when they realize their build is too slow to open passages in red map incursions